Juvederm Ultra Plus
Generic Name: Hyaluronate and Derivatives Injection (Face or Hand) (hye al yoor ON ate & dah RIV ah tives)
Brand Name: Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultra Plus, Juvederm Ultra Plus XC, Juvederm Ultra XC, Juvederm Voluma XC, ...show all 10 brand names.Perlane, Restylane, Restylane Lyft, Restylane Silk, Restylane-L
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jun 4, 2019.
Uses of Juvederm Ultra Plus:
- It is used to make the lips or cheeks fuller.
- It is used to lower the number of lines and wrinkles of the face and neck.
- It is used to help with some hand problems.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Juvederm Ultra Plus?
- If you have an allergy to hyaluronic acid or any other part of this medicine (Juvederm Ultra Plus).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you are using a product that contains ammonium salts or chlorhexidine to clean the area.
- If you have bleeding problems.
- If you have an infection or skin problem where the shot will be given.
- If you have an implant where the shot will be given.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine (Juvederm Ultra Plus).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (Juvederm Ultra Plus) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Juvederm Ultra Plus?
For all uses of this medicine (Juvederm Ultra Plus):
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (Juvederm Ultra Plus). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine (Juvederm Ultra Plus) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
Injection (when given in the face or hand):
- If you will be having any kind of skin therapy on the treated part like hair removal, radiation, or peeling procedures, talk with your doctor.
- Avoid sun, sunlamps, and tanning beds until the swelling and redness is gone.
- Avoid cold weather until swelling and redness is gone.
Injection (when given in the hand):
- Some side effects have lasted for more than 96 days after getting this medicine (Juvederm Ultra Plus). This includes how much the thumb is able to move. The risk of these side effects is raised by using the treated hand a lot or by injury to the treated hand.
- If this medicine (Juvederm Ultra Plus) is given into a tendon, the tendon could get weak or tear. If you have questions, talk with your doctor.
How is this medicine (Juvederm Ultra Plus) best taken?
Use this medicine (Juvederm Ultra Plus) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as a shot.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
For all uses of this medicine (Juvederm Ultra Plus):
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad irritation where this medicine (Juvederm Ultra Plus) is used.
- Very bad swelling.
- Change in skin color where the shot was given.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly side effects have happened when this medicine (Juvederm Ultra Plus) was given into a blood vessel. Call your doctor right away if your skin turns white, if you have pain during or right after getting this medicine (Juvederm Ultra Plus), or if you have a change in eyesight. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of a stroke like weakness, confusion, trouble speaking or thinking, drooping on one side of the face, or change in balance.
Injection (when given in the face):
- Loss of eyesight and other eyesight changes have happened when this medicine (Juvederm Ultra Plus) was given into the face. Call your doctor right away if you have any change in eyesight.
What are some other side effects of Juvederm Ultra Plus?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Irritation where this medicine (Juvederm Ultra Plus) is used.
- Swelling where this medicine (Juvederm Ultra Plus) is used.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Juvederm Ultra Plus?
- If you need to store this medicine (Juvederm Ultra Plus) at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (Juvederm Ultra Plus), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.