Generic Name: crotamiton (kroe-TAM-ih-ton)
Brand Name: Eurax
Crotamiton lotion is used for:
Treating scabies and relieving itching.
Crotamiton lotion is a scabicidal antipruritic. Exactly how it works is unknown.
Do NOT use crotamiton lotion if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in crotamiton lotion
- you develop severe irritation after applying crotamiton lotion
- you experience irritation when applying topical medicines
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using crotamiton lotion:
Some medical conditions may interact with crotamiton lotion. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have irritated, inflamed, raw, or weeping skin
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with crotamiton lotion. However, no specific interactions with crotamiton lotion are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if crotamiton lotion may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use crotamiton lotion:
Use crotamiton lotion as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Before using crotamiton lotion, bathe and dry your skin completely.
- Shake well before using a dose.
- For scabies - Apply enough medicine to cover the entire body from the chin down. Make sure that you apply medicine in all folds and creases of your body, such as between the fingers and toes, under the arms, and to the groin area. Rub the medicine in completely. Apply the medicine a second time after 24 hours has passed, unless directed otherwise by your doctor. Do not bathe before applying the second dose. Change clothing and bed linen the next morning. Clothing and bed linen should be dry-cleaned or washed in the hot cycle of the washing machine. Bathe to remove the medicine 48 hours after the second dose.
- For itching - Rub medicine gently into the affected areas until it is completely rubbed in. Wash hands after use unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- If you miss a dose of crotamiton lotion, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use crotamiton lotion.
Important safety information:
- Do not use crotamiton lotion on inflamed, raw, or weeping skin.
- Itching may continue for up to several weeks due to sensitivity to mites. This does not indicate treatment failure. Contact your doctor before using crotamiton lotion again.
- Crotamiton lotion may be harmful if swallowed. If you or someone you know may have taken crotamiton lotion by mouth, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- Avoid getting crotamiton lotion in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get crotamiton lotion in your eyes, rinse immediately with cool water.
- Use crotamiton lotion with extreme caution in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using crotamiton lotion during pregnancy. It is unknown if crotamiton lotion is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using crotamiton lotion, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of crotamiton lotion:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include burning or irritation of the mouth or throat, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain.Proper storage of crotamiton lotion:
Store crotamiton lotion at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Keep crotamiton lotion out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about crotamiton lotion, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Crotamiton lotion is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take crotamiton lotion or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about crotamiton lotion. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to crotamiton lotion. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using crotamiton lotion.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about crotamiton topical
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- En Español
- 3 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical anti-infectives
Other brands: Eurax