Crotalidae Polyvalent Immune FAB (Ovine)
Generic Name: Crotalidae Polyvalent Immune FAB (Ovine) (kroe TAL ih die pol i VAY lent i MYUN fab (oh vine))
Brand Name: CroFab
Medically reviewed on September 5, 2018
Uses of Crotalidae Polyvalent Immune FAB:
- It is used to treat some snake bites.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Crotalidae Polyvalent Immune FAB?
- If you have an allergy to antivenin (crotalidae) polyvalent or any other part of crotalidae polyvalent immune FAB (ovine).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take crotalidae polyvalent immune FAB (ovine) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Crotalidae Polyvalent Immune FAB?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take crotalidae polyvalent immune FAB (ovine). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you have an allergy to dust mites, latex, papaya, pineapple, or sheep, talk with your doctor.
- Allergic reactions can happen with crotalidae polyvalent immune FAB (ovine). Some allergic reactions may happen some time after crotalidae polyvalent immune FAB (ovine) has been given. Call your doctor right away if you have any signs that are not normal after getting crotalidae polyvalent immune FAB (ovine).
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using crotalidae polyvalent immune FAB (ovine) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Crotalidae Polyvalent Immune FAB) best taken?
Use crotalidae polyvalent immune FAB (ovine) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as an infusion into a vein over a period of time.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of bleeding like throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds; coughing up blood; blood in the urine; black, red, or tarry stools; bleeding from the gums; vaginal bleeding that is not normal; bruises without a reason or that get bigger; or any bleeding that is very bad or that you cannot stop.
- Wheezing or coughing.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- A fast heartbeat.
- Muscle or joint pain.
What are some other side effects of Crotalidae Polyvalent Immune FAB?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Crotalidae Polyvalent Immune FAB?
- If you need to store crotalidae polyvalent immune FAB (ovine) at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about crotalidae polyvalent immune FAB (ovine), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about antivenin (crotalidae) polyvalent
- Antivenin (crotalidae) polyvalent Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- Drug class: antitoxins and antivenins
- Antivenin (Crotalidae) polyvalent
- Antivenin (crotalidae) polyvalent Injection (Advanced Reading)
- Antivenin (crotalidae) polyvalent immune fab Intravenous (Advanced Reading)
- Crotalidae immune f(ab)2 (equine) Intravenous (Advanced Reading)
- Crotalidae Immune F(ab')2 (Equine) (Wolters Kluwer)
- Crotalidae Polyvalent Immune FAB (Ovine) (Wolters Kluwer)