Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 27, 2023.
Uses of Chlo Hist:
- It is used to ease allergy signs.
- It is used to relieve coughing.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Chlo Hist?
- If you have an allergy to any part of Chlo Hist (chlophedianol and dexbrompheniramine).
- If you are allergic to Chlo Hist (chlophedianol and dexbrompheniramine); any part of Chlo Hist (chlophedianol and dexbrompheniramine); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have taken certain drugs for depression or Parkinson's disease in the last 14 days. This includes isocarboxazid, phenelzine, tranylcypromine, selegiline, or rasagiline. Very high blood pressure may happen.
- If you have a cough with a lot of mucus.
- If you have a long-term cough caused by smoking or being around smoke, or lung problems like asthma or emphysema.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Chlo Hist (chlophedianol and dexbrompheniramine).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Chlo Hist (chlophedianol and dexbrompheniramine) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Chlo Hist?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Chlo Hist (chlophedianol and dexbrompheniramine). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not take more than what your doctor told you to take. Taking more than you are told may raise your chance of very bad side effects.
- Do not take Chlo Hist (chlophedianol and dexbrompheniramine) for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Chlo Hist (chlophedianol and dexbrompheniramine) affects you.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking Chlo Hist (chlophedianol and dexbrompheniramine).
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- If cough lasts for more than 1 week; goes away and comes back; or happens with fever, rash, or headache that lasts, talk with the doctor.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Chlo Hist (chlophedianol and dexbrompheniramine) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Chlo Hist) best taken?
Use Chlo Hist (chlophedianol and dexbrompheniramine) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with Chlo Hist (chlophedianol and dexbrompheniramine). If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure Chlo Hist (chlophedianol and dexbrompheniramine).
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take Chlo Hist (chlophedianol and dexbrompheniramine) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Chlo Hist (chlophedianol and dexbrompheniramine) is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Feeling very sleepy.
What are some other side effects of Chlo Hist?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling sleepy.
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Chlo Hist?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Chlo Hist (chlophedianol and dexbrompheniramine), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Chlo Hist (chlophedianol / dexbrompheniramine)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Side effects
- Drug class: upper respiratory combinations
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.