Beconase AQ spray
Generic Name: beclomethasone (be-kloe-METH-ah-sone)
Brand Name: Beconase AQ
Beconase AQ spray is used for:
Treating nasal allergy symptoms. It is also used to prevent recurrence of nasal growths (polyps) after surgical removal. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Beconase AQ spray is a corticosteroid. It works by shrinking swollen and inflamed nasal tissue and by blocking the action of certain cells and chemicals of the immune system.
Do NOT use Beconase AQ spray if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Beconase AQ spray
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Beconase AQ spray:
Some medical conditions may interact with Beconase AQ spray. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a bacterial, viral, fungal, or parasitic infection; chickenpox; tuberculosis; a positive tuberculosis (TB) skin test; measles; diarrhea; nasal ulcer, surgery, or trauma; or herpes infection in the eye; or if you have had a recent vaccine
- if you have a very runny nose
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Beconase AQ spray. Because little, if any, of Beconase AQ spray is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Beconase AQ spray may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Beconase AQ spray:
Use Beconase AQ spray as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Beconase AQ spray. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Beconase AQ spray is only for the nose.
- Shake well before each use.
- Before using Beconase AQ spray for the first time, gently shake the container and prime the pump by spraying 6 times or until a fine spray appears.
- Clear your nose before using Beconase AQ spray by blowing it gently.
- Tilt your head forward slightly. Carefully insert the applicator into the nostril, keeping the bottle upright. Breathe gently inward through the nostril while spraying. Breathe out through your mouth.
- Use Beconase AQ spray on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- Always replace the cap and clip when finished.
- Beconase AQ spray works best if used on a regular basis.
- To clean, gently remove the nasal applicator from the bottle. Wash the applicator and cap with cold water. Dry and replace.
- If the pump becomes blocked, unscrew the pump and soak in warm water for a few minutes. Rinse with cold water, dry, and replace. Reprime the pump.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 2 weeks or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Throw the bottle away after 180 sprays following the priming of the bottle. The correct amount of medication in each spray cannot be ensured after a certain number of uses. Do not transfer any remaining suspension to another bottle.
- Continue to use Beconase AQ spray even if you feel well.
- If you miss a dose of Beconase AQ spray, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Beconase AQ spray.
Important safety information:
- If switching from an oral steroid medicine to an inhaled one, contact your doctor at once if withdrawal symptoms (eg, muscle and joint pain, exhaustion, depression) occur.
- Use caution if you switch from an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) to Beconase AQ spray. It may take several months for your body to make enough natural steroids to handle events that cause physical stress. Such events may include injury, surgery, infection, loss of blood electrolytes, or a sudden asthma attack. These may be severe and sometimes fatal. Contact your doctor right away if any of these events occur. You may need to take an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) again. Carry a card at all times that says you may need an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) if any of these events occur.
- Avoid spraying in the eyes. If you get Beconase AQ spray in your eyes, rinse immediately with cool water.
- Always have a spare inhaler available in case the unit malfunctions or is empty.
- If you have not had chickenpox, shingles, or measles, avoid contact with anyone who does.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Beconase AQ spray.
- Beconase AQ spray should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Beconase AQ spray while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Beconase AQ spray, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Beconase AQ spray:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Bad taste; coughing; headache; hoarseness; nasal irritation or dryness; nausea; sore throat.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); acne-like rash; continuing nose discomfort; excessive sneezing; increased pressure in the eye; infection (fever, chills, sore throat); irregular menstrual period; loss of taste or smell; nosebleeds or soreness; pounding in the chest; unusual weight gain, especially in the face; vision changes; wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include increased thirst or urination; muscle weakness; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.Proper storage of Beconase AQ spray:
Store at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in an upright position. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Keep Beconase AQ spray out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Beconase AQ spray, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Beconase AQ spray is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Beconase AQ spray or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Beconase AQ spray. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Beconase AQ spray. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Beconase AQ spray.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Beconase AQ (beclomethasone nasal)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating