Naloxone use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Naloxone: Suboxone, Evzio, Zubsolv, Narcan Nasal Spray, Bunavail, Talwin Nx, Narcan Injection, Targiniq ER
Naloxone Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
No information is available on the excretion of naloxone into breastmilk. Because it is not orally bioavailable, it is unlikely to affect the breastfed infant. Studies in nursing mothers have shown that naloxone does not affect lactation hormone levels. If naloxone is required by the mother, it is not a reason to discontinue breastfeeding.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
In contrast to its effect in some animal species, naloxone does not affect suckling-induced secretion of oxytocin or prolactin in postpartum women.
Alternate Drugs to Consider
1. Cholst IN, Wardlaw SL, Newman CB, Frantz AG. Prolactin response to breast stimulation in lactating women is not mediated by endogenous opioids. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1984;150:558-61. PMID: 6496587
2. Johnson MR, Andrews MA, Seckl JR, Lightman SL. Effect of naloxone on neurohypophyseal peptide responses to breast feeding and breast stimulation in man. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 1990;33:81-6. PMID: 2401100
CAS Registry Number
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
More about naloxone
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 16 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antidotes
- Naloxone injection
- Naloxone nasal
- Naloxone Auto-Injection
- Naloxone Nasal Spray
- Naloxone Injection (Advanced Reading)
- Naloxone Nasal (Advanced Reading)