Ergotamine use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Ergotamine: Cafergot, Ergomar, Cafatine, Cafetrate, Migergot, Bellamor, Bellaphen-S, Eperbel-S, Bel-Tabs, Ercaf, Show all 26 »Wigraine, Duragal-S, Spastrin, Bellamine S, Belcomp-PB, Bellaspas, Cafatine PB, Bellamine, Bellergal-S, ErgocaffPB, E-Caff P-B, Migracet-PB, Ergocaf-PB, Ergocomp-PB, Micomp-PB, Bel-Phen-Ergot
Ergotamine Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Because there is limited published experience with ergotamine during breastfeeding and it might cause adverse effects in the infant, most authorities consider ergotamine to be undesirable to use during nursing.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
A study in which ergotamine was administered to mothers of newborns immediately postpartum in a dose of 1 mg 3 times daily for 6 days found no effect on weight gain in the breastfed infants. Milk intake, and therefore infant dosage, might have been minimal during the first few days before the mothers' milk came in fully.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Thirty women who delivered fullterm infants received a single intramuscular dose of methylergonovine 0.2 mg after delivery, followed by oral ergotamine 1 mg 3 times daily for 6 days. Compared to 28 women who delivered fullterm infants and received no ergot derivatives, there was no difference in the milk production, as measured by weight differences before and after nursing, between the 2 groups during the first 6 days postpartum.
Alternate Drugs to Consider
1. Moretti ME, Lee A, Ito S. Which drugs are contraindicated during breastfeeding? Can Fam Physician. 2000;46:1753-7. PMID: 11013791
2. WHO Department of Child and Adolescent Health and Development. Breastfeeding and maternal medication. Recommendations for drugs in the eleventh WHO model list of essential drugs. 2002.
3. Jolivet A, Robyn C et al. [Effect of ergot alkaloid derivatives on milk secretion in the immediate postpartum period]. J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod (Paris). 1978;7:129-34. PMID: 641312
CAS Registry Number
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about ergotamine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 4 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antimigraine agents
Other brands: Ergomar