Bumetanide use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Bumetanide: Bumex
Bumetanide Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
It is unknown if bumetanide is excreted into breastmilk. It should be avoided while breastfeeding a newborn because it may decrease milk flow or completely suppress lactation. Low doses in mothers whose lactation is well established are unlikely to suppress lactation. In general, alternate drugs are preferred.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Relevant published information on bumetanide was not found as of the revision date. Intense diuresis, fluid restriction and breast binding have been used to suppress lactation immediately postpartum. The added contribution of the diuretic to the other measures, which are effective in suppressing lactation, has not been studied. No data exist on the effects of loop diuretics on established, ongoing lactation.
Alternate Drugs to Consider
1. Healy M. Suppressing lactation with oral diuretics. Lancet. 1961;1:1353-4.
2. Stout G. Suppression of lactation. Br Med J. 1962;1:1150. Letter. PMC: PMC1958377
3. Cominos DC, Van Der Walt A, Van Rooyen AJ. Suppression of postpartum lactation with furosemide. S Afr Med J. 1976;50:251-2. PMID: 3858
CAS Registry Number
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
More about bumetanide
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 5 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: loop diuretics
- Bumetanide Tablets
- Bumetanide Injection
- Bumetanide (Advanced Reading)
- Bumetanide Injection (Advanced Reading)
Other brands: Bumex