Wat does 'c' stands for in c-reactive protein?

Anonymous 20 Jul 2010

C-reactive protein (CRP) is a protein found in the blood, the levels of which rise in response to inflammation (an acute-phase protein). Its physiological role is to bind to phosphocholine expressed on the surface of dead or dying cells (and some types of bacteria) in order to activate the complement system via the C1Q complex[.

I hope this helps

christineATU 20 Jul 2010

Yes Maso, but what does "C" mean?

harry728 20 Jul 2010

thanx ,, bt my question ws abt d full form of c ??

Anonymous 20 Jul 2010

Hello Chris,

With regards to your comment C-reactive protein.

C-reactive protein (CRP)
Protein C is a protein that in humans is encoded by the PROC gene. Protein C is a major physiological anticoagulant. It is a vitamin K-dependent serine protease enzyme (EC 3.4.21.69) that is activated by thrombin into activated protein C (APC). The activated form (with protein S and phospholipid as a cofactor) degrades Factor Va and Factor VIIIa.

The protein C pathway’s key enzyme, activated protein C, provides physiologic antithrombotic activity and exhibits both anti-inflammatory and anti-apoptotic activities. It also plays a role in the development of thrombosis and ischemic stroke.

C-reactive protein (CRP) is a protein found in the blood, the levels of which rise in response to inflammation (an acute-phase protein)

Anonymous 20 Jul 2010

Harry, with all due respect I answered and added more information to your question in a comment left by Chistine. This is your question, as you very well know:

Wat does 'c' stands for in c-reactive protein? Please read your question again... if you are so kind.

"d" full version of "c" is not mentioned at all.

I am not getting into an argument with you (of who is right or wrong) I am trying to clarify the situation.I do not like to argue, I like to help.

harry728 20 Jul 2010

thanx maso for efforts... bt i found d relevant detail from my colleague, which u may also find informative... c reactive protein was originally discovered by Tillet in 1930.. as a substance in the serum of pt. of acute inflammation that reacts with C POLYSACCARIDE OF STREPTOCOCCUS.

Dr.MOHAN.H.S 17 Apr 2012

CRP was so named because it was first discovered as a substance in the serum of patients with acute inflammation that reacted with the C- (capsular) polysaccharide of pneumococcus.