Does trazodone have a negative effect on your memory?

jerst 4 Dec 2013

I used to take 150mg of trazodone at night... it is good for sleep and has somewhat of a calming action but leaves you feeling "hung over" in the morning which I feel can affect memory

486ocean 4 Dec 2013

I notice my short term memory is getting worse and worse but I need the Trazodone to sleep. Do you think that if I stop taking the Trazodone that my memory will improve?
Thanks for your help : )

pamee 4 Dec 2013

What meds work for one person may not work for another as we are all different.
I have been taking trazodone for approxmately 15 yrs, and in the beginning it caused me to be groggy the next morning, but once it subsided it has worked like a charm with no side effects, no memory problems at all for me.

pamee

486ocean 4 Dec 2013

Oh, that is good news! Thank you for responding. I think now I will take my Trazodone and go to sleep. Thanks again : )

pamee 4 Dec 2013

Happy dreams :)

smileyhappy 4 Dec 2013

Hi I don't have any problem with trazodone myself. I used to take 100mg now I only take 25 mg as needed. Used it for 6 years.

Smileyhappy

pamee 4 Dec 2013

Hi Smileyhappy,
Nice to see you!
May you have a blessed day!
pamee

smileyhappy 4 Dec 2013

Hi Pamee,
Nice to see you too!
Lynne ;)

chuck1957 5 Dec 2013

Ocean nothing to worry about here are the most common side effects you well notice it has short term memory loss,they are meaning just like forgetting something but these are all said to disapear with continued use. Chuck1957 retired pharmacy technician Cpht.

More common
Dry mouth (usually mild)
muscle or bone pain
trouble sleeping
trouble with remembering
unpleasant taste NOW remember these are the most common side effects but say they go away with continued use i have taken this and still do and have no problems... good luck

486ocean 6 Dec 2013

Hi Chuck,

You list "trouble with remembering" as a side effect of trazodone so then it does affect your memory. I have been on it for about a year and a half and my memory has been greatly reduced, to the point that I probably will have to stop taking it. I don't know how I will deal with the insomnia but I cannot continue to go on like this. I am forgetting words all the time and it is affecting my work.

chuck1957 6 Dec 2013

ocean I am Sorry i was not clear enough read it again what it means is when you first start taking this is one of the most common but as you continue taking it this memory losss disapears and is no longer a problem and at that it is rare.
There are so many things that can cause memory loss like excess worring,stress, Please do not adjust or stop this trazodone until you talk with the doctor i personally think its more the pressure exc this is one of ther safest sleeping medications and prescribed the most because of its side effects are very rare..do not do anything until you talk to your physician..thanks ocean you have nothing to worry about.there is no long term memory loss's with this one.
so wait until you speak with you doctor.