Skip to main content

I am taking omeprazole and my period is late what do I do?

16 Answers

Mariam0909 29 Sep 2022

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've been taking omeprazole(20mg) for about 2 months and my period was several days late for both times.

At this moment I'm 4 days late and just waiting for it.

AnikeAde 26 Aug 2022

I took omeprazole for a little over a week and my period is seven days late. I was panicking before I saw this thread.
Good to know I'm not alone, but this needs to be studied. It's really scary...

J_Mal 25 July 2022

I've been taking omeprazole for 3 weeks base on my doctor's prescription and my period is late for 8 days already. I was having my period normally for the past months and this is the only time I facing this type of problem. I feel relieved when I saw some comments with the same problem

19931896 30 July 2022

Happy to find this here, I've been taking it for a month and my periods are 4 days late.

Moonlight11 12 July 2022

I am really happy I found this forum. Since I have started taking this medicine my periods are very light. I used to change pads few times during my periods but now I don't need more than one pad. However, I'm on the same contraceptive pill for last 12 years but never had any of this issue. Has anyone experience this problem. I'm really worried. All I'm having is just light pink spotting .

Nicolekj 8 Feb 2022

I'm so glad I found this iv been on this medication for 2 weeks now and I'm currently 9 days late

Elalba 6 Feb 2022

I am having the same issue. Started taking it 3-4 weeks ago, and less than recommended by the GP. Now my period is 4 days late despite having all the symptoms.
I've done a pregnancy test as well and I'm negative, but I am still very anxious despite practicing safe sex. Planning to call my doctor tomorrow and report this.

Have any of you ended up getting your period and when?

Dot79 8 Feb 2022

I decided to go off the meds after I posted my question because it freaked me out. It took about a week and a half to get back to normal. But I have no doubt it was the medication preventing my period. I see there have been several ladies dealing with this. It needs to be looked into.

MaryKate84 29 Jan 2022

I’m so glad I’ve seen other women late on this medicine too. I’m currently 4 days late and experiencing my period symptoms (slight cramping, irritability, etc) but it’s not here. I’m almost 38 and practice safe sex (condoms) with my husband. I hope more research can be done on this. I started this medicine on December 29 2021.

Naomij1993 1 Dec 2021

Thank god I'm seeing this. Me and my partner use condoms and I'm 6 days late. Started this medication in October so I've been taking so many pregnancy tests in an absolute panic. This needs looking into.

chronovala 15 Oct 2021

I am 21 yrs old. I thought that I am the only one experiencing this since there is no study linking about delayed period effects from omeprazole. I have also digestive issues and take omeprazole for 2 weeks. I have always a regular period then, but after taking meds, my mens are very late and delayed up until now for 6 days. Researchers should take a look with this issue and make study.

madisonps 11 Aug 2021

Hi, I too had this issue, I am a healthy 19 year old young woman who has normal monthly cycles. Then I was put on omeprazole for stomach issues. I took my first month of dosage (directed by my doctor) and now I am late. I am not sexually active nor have I ever been. So this was concerning for me. I was a bit stressed the week I was supposed to start however it was not more than usual.

Aruder20 21 July 2021

I am so relieved to see this on here! I thought I was going crazy. I am a healthy female who has had regular cycles for my entire life - like clockwork, every single 28 days. I do not take any medications but I took omeprazole for 14 days this last month. I am now 6 days late for my period and counting. This needs to be studied!

Edh12 19 July 2021

I’ve also been having irregular periods since starting omeprazole. I’m usually like clockwork. I can see a few mentions of this on online forums. It would be good to research this correlation further.

KELLYZEB0311 22 March 2021

I also find my periods are late while on this medicine. I am 51 and have not started menopause yet. Nor could I be pregnant as my husband and I have taken precautions. I take the medicine as needed for EOE. When I am not taking it, my periods are like clock work. When I take it, I am significantly late and irregular. Sounds like more research is needed on this.

Daniellaviera 17 March 2020

6 years later

Dot79 1 Feb 2020

I see this is 5 years ago, but I’m dealing with the same thing. 6 days late. Have had all the symptoms but no period. I’m about 95% sure it’s the medicine but can’t really find any info on this. I’ve only been on the medicine about 3 weeks.

LousArk 1 Feb 2020

There's not a known connection between Omeprazole & late periods, but the illness that your body is dealing with, that causes you to need the Omeprazole, could delay or effect your periods. When the body deals with stress or illness, it can put your periods on hold until it can deal with them again.