If I had a small amount of alcohol on antabuse, how long will it stay in my system?
Question posted by solodog75 on 7 Feb 2016
Last updated on 8 February 2016 by Delila
Hi if you are taking the Antabuse daily as directed it really isn't a good idea to drink any amount of alcohol at all. You can become very unwell very fast. Once you have ingested alcohol, if you have a reaction there is nothing you can do to reverse it and you will need to be admitted to the ER/A&E. People have died from combining alcohol with Antabuse. You would need to be at least 72 hours free from the medication before you can have a drink, and if you have been taking Antabuse for a long time, you may need to wait a week. I'm not trying to scare you, just giving you the facts
What should I avoid while taking Antabuse?
Do not drink alcohol while taking Antabuse. Avoid situations that might tempt you to drink.
Be aware that many common products contain small amounts of alcohol, enough to cause a Antabuse reaction. Such products include aftershave, cologne, perfume, antiperspirant, mouthwash, antiseptic astringent skin products, hair dyes, and others. Check the label to see if any food or medicine product contains alcohol. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions.
Avoid coming into contact with non-consumable products that may contain alcohol: paint thinners, solvents, stains, lacquers and others.
Avoid coming into contact with or breathing the fumes of pesticides or chemicals used in manufacturing or certain other industries (waxes, dyes, resins, and gums).
- Antabuse uses and safety info
- Antabuse information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side effects of Antabuse (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.