Is prednisone good to take for eczema?

bjoyful0881 14 Mar 2017

I have terrible flare ups of dyshidrotic eczema on the palms of my hands. When it gets so bad that I can no longer move my hands without pain, prednisone is the ONLY drug I have found that is effective in stopping further outbreaks. The problem is that obviously it is a steroid, so no long term use. Often times I do not take the med as prescribed because in my opinion the prescription instructions are insane. If I am given a bottle of 15-20 30-50mg pills I will hoard that bottle for 3-6 months taking only one pill every 1-3 days until the flare up is under control. Sometimes I am prescribed a week long pack of methylprednisone. In this case you are given a blister card with a 'weeks worth' of 10mg pills. When this is the case I will only take it for 3 days. I will start by taking 30mg, then 20, then 10- you get the idea. Hope this helps.

eczemaliving 7 Apr 2017

Dyshidrotic eczema, also known as dyshidrosis or pompholyx, is a type of eczema that causes a blistering rash on the hands or feet, especially the fingers, palms, and soles.

The blisters are small and often very itchy.

Dyshidrotic eczema is the third most common dermatitis, or inflammation, of the hands. It's twice as common in women as men.
About half of those who suffer from dyshidrotic eczema also have atopic dermatitis, a common form of eczema.

Causes

The cause of dyshidotric eczema is unknown, but more than one factor is likely involved.

It may occur along with atopic dermatitis or hay fever, flaring seasonally along with any allergies you may have.

About 40 percent of people with this skin condition are also troubled with hands or feet that perspire heavily.

Dyshidrotic eczema is more likely to occur if you:

bjoyful0881 7 Apr 2017

Not sure why you posted this in response to my response. As a person who has lived with dyshidrosis for almost 10 years I am very familiar with the causes and irritants of the condition. Obviously I do everything I can to avoid an outbreak, but stress is a part of life and unavoidable so outbreaks happen. All of this information you posted can be found in a simple internet search. The key to really controlling a condition such as dyshidrosis depends on finding out what the individuals triggers are... I only recently- now in my mid 30's got diagnosed with hay fever and allergies. For people such as myself, it has taken many years for my allergies to even show up on a blood panel. (when I was tested 5 years ago, only 4-5 items showed sensitivity, however when I was tested last week several dozen items lit up like a christmas tree!) But they still do not show up on a scratch or patch test.