Is moderate use of alcoholl (wine,vodka,etc.) a problem while taking Xarelto?

DemoninDC 24 Mar 2012

All medical personnel will tell you that you should not take alcohol with any drugs. That being said, you will need will need to listen to what your body is telling you. I am in a similar situation as you and so far there has not been any problem. My hematologist, one of the top in the country, knows and has not made a big deal about it. You picked my two favorite types of drink. Cheers.

paulcare 25 Mar 2012

I have been told to stay away from alcohol since it can cause an afib episode. In the beginning I refrained from all alcohol but now have started to have a few every now and then. So far so good but I am not pushing it. It's a bummer though. I am on sotalol.

geraldreds 18 Nov 2012

I had the same question, called the consumer number for the drug company, Bayer Health Care and spoke with their clinical rep. Was told that in trials there was no indication that alcohol was an adverse factor for
Patients taking Xarelto.

I also asked, since I have two glasses of wine with the evening meal, would it be alright to take the 20 mg in the morning, asone had done with coumadin for 5 years to separate the alcohol intake and the drug? I was told no, Xarelto at the 20 dosage must be with the evening meal.

The paradox was that on getting the prescription filled, the accompanying literature on taking Xarelto indicated ... daily use of alcohol will increase the risk of stomach bleeding. Limit or avoid alcohol use. I called the drug company back and spoke with someone else in their clinical side, and received the same guidance that the trials indicated no adverse relationship.

peterjune 30 Nov 2014
bruxy 24 Apr 2017

Well I am a 69 years old recently diagnosed with AFIP. I am very discipline person when it comes to taking medication and or follow Drs instruction. I was prescribed Xarelto. My Dr said drinking alcohol and coffee can increase the AFIP episode. Now Listen they are not telling you don't drink, they are telling to take it easy unless you are an alcoholic person, a drink here and there will not bother it trust me. I drink Vodka Martini, and beer, and Margareta. What I noticed is this when I drink more than 2 drinks next day my AFIP going a little wild, however again when I have a drink here and there I have no issues at all. So enjoy your wine with your meal. Remember every person is different.

Debi48 29 Jun 2017

Is it safe to drink alcohol while taking xarelto with a pacemaker like congnac and coors light beer I'm only a weekend drinker