Lithium - What time of day do you take it to avoid the most side effects?

Anonymous 7 Nov 2012

Hello jessinkc. I would take it early evening. Regards pledge

Anonymous 7 Nov 2012

I suffer from Bipolar disorder too and take Eskalith-CR (lithium) the extended release (ER) version of it.
I take 450mg. in the morning and 450mg. in the evening, and I have never experienced any side effect, well we all react differently to medications.

Usual Adult Dose for Bipolar Disorder

Usual dose: 1800 mg/day.
Extended release: 900 mg in the morning and nighttime or 600 mg in the morning, afternoon, and nighttime.
Regular release: 600 mg in the morning, afternoon, and nighttime.
Maintenance dose: 900 to 1200 mg/day.
Extended release: 450 mg in the morning and nighttime or 600 mg in the morning and nighttime.
Regular release: 300 mg in the morning, afternoon, and nighttime or 300 mg 4 times a day.

smileyhappy 7 Nov 2012

Hi jessinkc,

I take 600mg at bedtime. I had side effects 5 years ago but now I only get the shakes now and again. The Psychiatrist told me when that happens to eat a little salt. Be careful because eating salt stops the lithium from working.

Take care,

Smileyhappy

Wkumomma 2 Dec 2012

I take 300mg in the am with my Blood pressure pill and antidepressant. I take 600 mg at night usually around 830:) hope it helps!