Is percocet an opiate or in the morphine family of drugs?

mpvt 19 Feb 2010

percocet has oxycodone in it which is a opiate. Morphine is also a opiate, they are two separate opiates. Oxycodone is a little stronger when taken by mouth but morphine is about 1.5 times stronger when given by I.V. ... Hope this clears things up..Dave

P.S. As you probably know, both of these opiates can be highly abused and addictive so be careful and only use them as prescribed... Dave

teal 19 Feb 2010

hey mpvt:) I was going to say no,only because my doctors told me no,BUT the doctors here are so unwilling to help ppl due to so many of other ppl who have abused them,or more so,selling their meds,so they pee test everyone constantly,and when i bring up that percocet is not working for me anymore,as i've been on them for 2 years,she proceeded to say,they do not stop working,that the system does not get use to them,which i know is crap,i know from calling other doctors,looking it up,et cetera,she told me she doesnt want to put me on anything else because after my surgery,which i have three major back surgeries coming,they will give me methadone or morphine and so if she gives that to me now,then i wont get relief in the hospital from the pain i will be going through after the surgeries.

christineATU 23 Feb 2010

Teal? OMG... they are putting you through the ringer! I am new to this forum. Add me as "friend" if you like. I have been on Percocets and MS Contin. After reading your story, I am grateful that I visit ONLY my surgeon. Oxycodone does build up your resistance to it.

christineATU 23 Feb 2010

To answer the original question both are opiates. There is a variety..such as mg, extended release, rapid release, Morphine Sulfate Contin is an extended release medication (at least the one I am on) Percocet (oxycodone) is more for breakthrough pain (at least the one I am on) Both are in the same family of drugs.

peanoweno 24 Feb 2010

Thanks for everyones comments. Maybe thats why I haven't had much relief from the back surgery i had. If its for breakthrough pain anyways. I've been given oxycodone-apap 10-325mg. But I told them from the beginning it hasn't helped much. I'm slowly getting better but once I'm up for more than an hour doing things around the house I get in pretty bad pain and have to sit with a heating pad and if its close enough to take my meds, then I do. I had the fusion dec 30th. But instead of being straight i've started slouching again and have noticed my hip has a slight protrusion again. But its nothing like it was. My surgeon didn't believe me that I was in pain even in the spital. He thought since he put the rods in that I should be fine now. After alot of phone calls to his office complaining of terrible leg pain at night, and back pain, he had more xrays done to check for infection. He said their were non.

mpvt 24 Feb 2010

You are a addict searching for your drug of choice. You have a bogus excuse for any other meds they try you on. Go to the pain clinic if you are truly in pain were you think you need help. By the way you hung yourself when you thought that fentanyl was somehow like morphine. The reason they give fentanyl is because it is a synthetic opiate were morphine is a opiate. You need to give your back time to heal from the surgery and believe me you will feel better. You have gotten addicted to the pain pills and you need to do something about this or you are going to be flagged at all the doctors offices that you go to... Hope you get better soon... Dave