What are the effects of alcohol when taking harvoni?

kaismama 18 Feb 2015

If you have hep C alcohol should be the last thing on your mind.

Ed Barry 18 Feb 2015

answer the question, your not my mother

kristin_kemp 6 Jul 2015

My doctor never said I couldn't have one beer, I would ask your doctor instead of listening to bias opinions.

angel1662 18 Feb 2015

Hello Ed Barry
I have to agree with kaismama 100% why would you or anyone what to drink alcohol if they already have hep c or any type of liver problems... its not a good idea at alllllll in my opinion...

Ed Barry 18 Feb 2015

answer the question. doctors never tell you your going to die anyway. i'd rather have 10 less years enjoying myself then living an extra 10 years doing nothing but watch the doctors, insurance companies and drug companies get rich at my time and expense.

ParisTiltin6 27 May 2016

Mr. Ed Barry. My doctor says a quart or 40 0z beer once a week is fine and any damage should be minimal at worst.

Delila 19 Feb 2015

Hi, the interactions checker doesn't come up with any interactions, however, not a lot of information has been published about this medication to date. Drinking could make some of the potential side effects worse, such as lethagy, headache & nausea...
https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1034-14582,3567-16903

amp1126 27 Feb 2015

Ive been wondering the same thing about alcohol consumption. We are going to a wedding this weekend and I wanted to have a glass or two of wine. Did you ever find any information on this ed Barry?

Ed Barry 28 Feb 2015

not really, but i have not had any problems at this point. i will know more after my first blood test, which is coming up on 3/12/15. check back around the 15th make sure your all hand i'll let you know how i made out. make sure your all heppa approved... lol. more gov't crap which just makes health care more diffucult, but i'm sure it creates some nice cushy jobs for another worthless gov't employee. Don't forget about their tax payer paid retirement too. "Obamadon'tcare"... what a pile of poop!!!

amp1126 28 Feb 2015

Thank you! Good luck!

zenn211 1 Mar 2015

Ed Barry, I too enjoy a drink or two to relax and/or have a good time. Nevertheless, I have fought the urge to drink because I know the results are negative.
I have decided to give this new medication, Harvoni a decent shot at accomplishing all that it promises to do without me unknowingly attempting to weaken it's performance or rendering it to be less effective. There's a possible chance that I may extremely intensity the side effects as well.
So my friend, it's really entirely up to you how you chose to treat your body during it recovery process.
Researchers have informed us that alcohol consumption is poisonous to our system and it especially does a job on our liver. So good luck; the ball is in your court ... don't spike it across the net ... give it a chance to volley. I'm just saying! :-)

subcooll 7 Mar 2015

I too like a beer or two when I get off work most nights I would like an informed opinion not your advice which I do appreciate and understand so thanks for that but to the point does it effect the treatment or not

subcooll 7 Mar 2015

again thanks to all of you for caring answers just looking for a honest answer im not a person with drinking problem don't touch liquor but very rarely don't have liver disease ( THANK GOD ) but I do enjoy a beer when I get home if not to tired from work lol I work 12 hours a day so a beer is nice to relax and go to bed

jwill51 5 Apr 2015

I am sorry and no offense is intended, but no one has directly answered the question.

It is fact that alcohol is not good for the liver, but that is not the question as I understand it. The question is:

DOES OCCASIONAL USE OF ALCOHOL (BEER AND WINE) EFFECT THE EFFICIENCY OF HARVONI IN ERADICATING THE HEPATITIS C VIRUS?

HCV is a virus and damages the liver differently that alcohol. The results may be the same, but the methods of damage are completely different. It is like comparing apples to oranges. No doubt that alcohol exasperates liver damage exponentially.

What is the scientific answer? Not the morally correct answer.

So does alcohol interfere with the ability of Havoni to eradicate the HCV?

Delila 6 Apr 2015

Hi, all i can come up with, if you are up for a good read, are the following sources... go to hepmag.com/articles, they have a substantial section on Harvoni treatment and how it and Hep C are affected by drinking alcohol... the first sentence: " A history of heavy alcohol consumption doesn’t reduce the effectiveness of hepatitis C virus (HCV) treatment". Also, click on the following link for a hefty conversation about Harvoni treatment from a Drugs.com forum conversation: https://www.drugs.com/answers/anyone-started-treatment-hepatitis-harvoni-2151519.html

Hill418 3 May 2015

I'm looking for the same info. Does alcohol interfere with the ability of Harvoni to eradicate the HCV?

Johnnie G 5 Jun 2015

Ed B - I've had the same question. I am fortunate to be asymptomatic but started Harvoni after jumping through a few silly hoops. My doctor at one point let it slip that Gilead says their patients can drink and nothing in the product insert addressed alcohol. Once I started the treatment form said not to drink because it can "interfere with treatment". I believe they cut and pasted over an old interferon form (alcohol consumption is clearly contraindicated for interferon. A few blogs have some non-judgmental answers but most just finger wave with global statements. Since I started both blood tests indicated zero/undetected viral load. Sure would be happy to see a clear and rational answer to your question somewhere.

Camilla88 6 Jun 2015

I started 4 weeks ago I have 2 glass of red wine over the weekend , I got blood work after 2 weeks and from 32000 Went down to 24 ... I just did after 4 weeks blood work and I will keep you posted ... Do not abuse alcohol while treatment .. My opinion

kerrybabyxx 15 Aug 2015

I have had the hep c virus for at least 15 yrs now,and have been drinking all this time,but now even after a few,I get tired,and have dull abdominal pains.I am about to go on harvoni,and was thinking of having a drink a day,that is only 2% alcohol,or less.How is ones ability,to drink,when the virus is gone?

Sarducci 26 Aug 2015
eokeefe57 29 Aug 2015

Hello Sarducci, I was reading your comment and your drinking history sounds like mine. I do not know how long I have had Hep C but was diagnosed in 2001 and I'm sure I was a carrier for many years previous to that date! Then all of a sudden the Harvoni was approved by my insurance carrier and I started Harvoni on August 3rd.

I have become disabled for the past 5 years now and working on walking again. Just had back surgery and have experienced a lot of pain, esp. in the last 2 or so years. Been on lots of pain meds as well. So... I was afraid of feeling worse when starting treatment but I feel just fine!!! My first 2 week blood tests were extremely good and my doctor's office was amazed, as was I, at the immediate great results thus far..

unclejohnsband 28 Aug 2015

Well what is the answer, as I started treatment today? Not opinions, but medical facts. I'm LOL as my count is 5,000,000 + and I've had it at least 24 years from. 15,000 surgeries and I'm not a doctor.

chrisv28 2 Oct 2015

My experience is that when I started treatment in March 2015 I had a viral load of 7m, two weeks viral load 60, four weeks negative hp c. Now I am considered cured :). I did abstain for the first three weeks and consumed alcohol moderately after, against the advise of my doctors. That is my experience with taking Harvoni. IT is a great drug and worked for me even with alcohol consumption.

Johnnie G 6 Oct 2015

I cut back during tx just because of likely irrational fear. No one wants to touch the subject. Lots of moralistic conflation between hcv and alcoholic cirrhosis. I was fortunate and my treatment has been a success.

mikemm 2 Oct 2015

i called Giliad... they say they have NO data one way or the other... no testing done... so in other words, NO ONE KNOWS

Renee Harden 11 Dec 2015

This is just my opinion.there's no answer.why?because I wouldn't pay for a cure if I new that alcohol would interfere with the hep-c going away.

douglashogan 28 Dec 2015

I have just finished my 12 week regimen with Harvoni. I started with VL of 6 million copies; after 2 weeks it was down to 30 copies; at 4 wks 'undetectable'; 8 wks 'undetectable' and now at the end of treatment, still undetectable. Throughout this whole time (with the exception of the first two weeks), I drank a minimum of 3-4 beers per day. I am not recommending anyone drink on this med but since the original questioner wanted some non-judgmental answers, this is mine. My AST/ALT initailly went down into the 20's (from the 100's) but have creeped up a little with my latest bloodwork (AST 44/ALT 32). I should also mention that I have F4 Cirrohosis. I am not in any sort of denial as to what my continued drinking will do, but at least I will be free of HCV!

Good luck to Everyone

Michele28 3 Apr 2016

As for myself I looked on here because I have drank sense I started the treatment 2 weeks ago and I've noticed the original side offects are more so now. I'm more tired, have headaches, and upset stomach but from everyone else's answers it don't seem to affect the treatment.

Jrusso1954 24 Apr 2016

Unknown

Camilla88 7 Jun 2016

Ed, I will recommend to short your use of alcohol .. I did the same and here I'm today healthy and almost a new liver ... Remember alcohol affects the liver and this can affect the medicine .. Drink a beer or glass of wine on the weekends ... Avoid school days .. And good luck

Page 1 2 Next