Can a dose of 60mg per day of prednisone be stopped adruptly after 5 days?

kaismama 28 Sep 2013

No, it should have been tapered before you stopped it. Usually short term prednisone is the highest dose at first, then is decreased each day until its stopped.

endlessPred 29 Sep 2013

No. Something was wrong with the prescription or the pharmacy. Please call the pharmacy and ask them to check. Then call the doctor office at first chance. This happened to me once when in a rehab home. The nurse missed that she was to call for the taper as they weren't sure if they would stay at the high dose longer. Mistakes happen.

ChelleKay 29 Sep 2013

I have been on prednisone over 28+ years for Crohns Disease. Even tho we do UP the dose rather fast (say from 20mg to 60mg in one day) due to severe symptoms, we always come down much slower, depending on my condition. When it is prescribed for only 5 days, it is usually a declining dose program. I am surprised you weren't instructed to take a high dose 1st day or two and then less every day. Since it is now Sunday (where I am) I would suggest contacting the pharmacy to check and make sure how the rx was written. Check with doctor if not resolved with Pharmacy. That is a very high dose, but, if you are already out of pills, I don't see a big problem. Its just very unusual for docs to write for prednisone like this. I could be wrong, but sounds to me like the pharmacy did not give you full or correct instructions. What does it say on your bottle from pharmacy?? That would help a lot...

Anniebananie12 29 Sep 2013

I would not advise anyone to stop taking a 60mg dose of prednisone abruptly! I suffer from chronic hives, and I have taken prednisone every day for the past 3 1/2 years. The doctors try to get me down to as low as possible a dose to keep the hives manageable. The lowest dose I took was 4 mg a day for about six months, but then that stopped working.
Over these 3 1/2 years, I have been on what they call a "dose pack" probably six times. A dose pack is where you start with six pills on the first day, then five pills on the second day, four pills on the third day, three pills ... and so on until you are completely off.
There have been times when I took 40 mg today, and my doctor has never had me stop abruptly. The doctor will give me prednisone in 5 mg pills and 1 mg pills so that I can taper off very slowly.
I hope this helps!
Annie

Capoak64 12 Jun 2014

You do not have to wean after only 5 days. There is newer research that says tapering is unnecessary after a short burst of pred.: 10 days or less.

sissie1 28 Oct 2014

I was put on 3 20 mg a day for 3 days then 2 20 mg for 3 and 1 20 mg for 1 day... then half till gone. I'm on my 3 day... havent taking it het but woke up at 5 in morning with cheeks blood red and absoulutly burning up! Sick to my stomach as well ams in also on lavoflaxen antibiotic. Upper respitory ands acute sinusitis. Please someone help me. ... can i just stop predasone seeing that i have only took it for 2 days???