My dosage of metoprolol ER has been reduced from 50mg to 25mg. Is it OK to cut the pill in half?

masso 27 Mar 2017

Never , cut, chew, split or break an ER (extended release) medication , doing so may cause undesirable side effects as it will release too much of the medication at once.

Regards, masso.-

Shirrin 27 Mar 2017

I do it all the time.
Hope you feel better

Inactive 16 Jul 2017

I had the same question. I just called the pharmacist and was told it's ok to cut it. The rule seems to be it it's scored it's safe to cut it.

Chyk41 16 Jul 2017

Any medication with the letter ER, XL, XT, etc. Stand for extended release and should never be broken, scored or not. It releases small amounts of the medication in your system over a 24 hour period and that is the way the doctor wants you to take it. To break the coating would give you the dose right away. It could over tax your body and leave you with out enough medication in your system for 24 hours.

Inactive 17 Jul 2017

I am sorry to disagree with you. I have talked to three pharmacists. All said that in general you should not cut extended release tablets but there are exceptions and this is one of them. It's safe to cut it along the score line but do not crush it. My cardiologist said the same and even suggested I cut it to get and extra half dose if needed. Call your pharmacist. They are the experts on meds.

bestpup 17 Jul 2017

To Metoprolol
From bestpup
Regardless of the dose never do you cut an ER medication in half. The ER before the Metoprolol means EXTENDED RELEASE.
By cutting the medication in half your body will breakdown the medication immediately rather than it's intended form which is extended release.
Best regards
bestpup