My dog ate .25 xanax what will happen?

chuck1957 5 Nov 2014

Lori Can't give you exact answer don't know how big your dog is but just to relief you this is one of the most common drugs used around the 4 th of july to sedate dogs and cats so they don't hurt there self my big dog may she rest in piece 20 years old last summer the vet at 80 lbs used to have me give her 1 mg to start of alprazolam and if in a hour she was still having trouble give her another but if in dought call your vet... dogs are a lot like kids they can get into those bottles thank God it was only one..i think in my heart she is in the clear..Chuck1957 medically retired Cpht pharmacy Tech.

lorilou12 6 Nov 2014

Thank you Chuck1957. Ruby is 65 lb german sheperd. She did well.

chuck1957 6 Nov 2014

Great Lori,,, yes my vet. this was the drug of choice And also dispensed lots of this for small dogs and cats to on the 4th of july when our poor friends really get upset with all the loud fireworks that go on for days... So if you do have problems with your dog talk to your vet... about this to..Glad all went well i was not really worried because it is used lots in the vet world. Much better than just giving them antihistamins thanks for letting me know, hug you dog for me... Chuck1957

balbanese 5 Nov 2014

If it's just one, a medium sized healthy dog he may sleep a lot. I'd take it to the Vet to be sure though.

lorilou12 6 Nov 2014

thank you for your comment.

kaismama 5 Nov 2014

I'd call my vet. It depends on the size of the dog what happens. And I don't even know if you can give dogs Xanax. These 4 footed children are like having toddlers around.

lorilou12 6 Nov 2014

thank you i know they are like toddlers she is very active. Silly me thinking i could turn my back to take my medication.. LOL