Does finasteride cause high blood pressure?

rachey 3 May 2010

High blood pressure is not generally considered to be a side effect of finasteride. In fact, one of the side effects sometimes experienced is low blood pressure!

Hope this helps.

gbeck 5 May 2010

I took finasteride and with in a few weeks I had to go the the emergency room with a bp of 224/111. After four episodes I finally quit taking the medicine and have not had any extreme episodes since. Doctors never picked up that this was the cause. Am I the only one that has had this side effect?

chalie 5 May 2010

I believe propecia is kicking up my systolic BP by about 25 points. My diastolic is always ok.
Thanks 4 ur answers.

Red67vette 17 Oct 2016

Funny about that, I started finasteride and within 2 weeks had to go to the ER with a 211/105. I haven't stopped taking it because there was another BP med I started taking around the same time, so I'm stopping the BP med first and then finasteride, will let you know the results...

mrpprc 10 Nov 2016

I go to the gym almost daily and am taking BP and rarely, I experience BP elevation. But when I started taking finasteride my BP averages 155/100. I have read comments from others in this website about their experience of BP elevation when taking finasteride, but lowering it when they stop taking the med. Thus, I will stop taking the medication; hopefully, it'd address the issue.

Chuck962 21 Dec 2016

MY BP is normally about 150/90. I started taking finasteride and it jumped to 180/110 within two days and stayed there. I discontinued it and my BP started going back down after about a week. I waited two more weeks, and then started it again just in case the first high BP was due to something else. MY BP went back to 180/110 within two days. I'm quitting it again, permanently.

COD55 18 days ago

Had this happen to me after about a month
On finasteride 0.1 percent. Started having an
Unusual feelings of not feeling well. Being on
BP meds, I checked my BP, my Meds usually
Keeps my BP in check around 122/84 Range
Highs around 140/86. After taking finasteride
A month in, ended up in ER with BP 222/109. free discount card