My doctor says I can take Xarelto in the morning. Why do instructions say evening?

kaismama 6 Aug 2013

Because the manufacturer has found that taking it with the evening meal is the best time to take it.

WF_Mitchell 7 Aug 2013

Actually the manufacturer (J&J) only submitted the drug taken with the evening meal to the FDA for expediency sake. It has nothing to do with the drug's efficacy for other times of day.

RchArmas1 2 Oct 2017

Have you noticed that none of the other responders cite any credentials to give credence to their "opinions"? I will stick with my physician's advice every time over some ananomous Web poster. I know what his credentials are.

jufAnn 8 Aug 2013

My doctor says it's also out of safetymesures: the first nine hours you are even more vulnerable to exceeded bleedings if you should have an accident. When you take it before going to bed, the risk is smaller. So I always take it at 10PM.

WF_Mitchell 8 Aug 2013

Do you take it with food at 10PM?

jufAnn 8 Aug 2013

No, just a little water and never had any discomfort.

Mamrlue7 1 Jan 2018

I have been taking 20mg of Xarelto for years at the evening meals and not had any adverse reactions. My Phisician and Nurse Practioner recommend both recommend staying with the manufacturers instructions.

WF_Mitchell 1 Jan 2018

Unfortunately that is not an answer. Just an experience.
Your Phisician [sic] and Nurse Practioner [sic] are probably not knowledgeable of drugs which is not unusual.

Mamrlue7 1 Jan 2018

They are knowledgeable. Your source obviously is not and neither are you. My experience and knowledge come from extended actual use.

Ebarrow58 14 Feb 2018

I have been on Xarelto for 5 years. I have always taken it just before I go to bed at 10pm. Most clots are formed when there is no activity. I have had no side effects. I love that I don’t have to get blood work done every month. I go every 6 months. I have had emergency surgery where they have taken me off it and when putting me back on it’s always been in the evening.