Is Cymbalta a narcotic?

kaismama 8 Oct 2012

Its not a narcotic, why would you even think to ask that?

crystalsasha 12 Mar 2014

Because I have Fibromyalgia and I have always been treated with narcotic medicines to relieve the pain and now my doctor switched me to Cymbalta and I just wondered if it can help with the pain why was I ever put on narcotic medicines to begin with.

Oh just had to jump in . oh my another condescending mean health care professional.Why would he ask that he wanted to know .Oh another chance for you to put some suffering person down ,how nice.

Anonymous 8 Oct 2012

Hello VIB238. Cymbalta is an anti-depressant. It is also perscribed off label for several other diagnosis. Best of wishes to you, pledge

DzooBaby 8 Oct 2012

Pledge is correct. It is classed as an antidepressant (an SSNRI) but is often used for chronic pain conditions. It is not a narcotic, opioid or a Controlled Substance though. It helps to regulate substances like serotonin in the brain which, in turn, can help with pain.

Anonymous 8 Oct 2012

Hi VIB, it seems by your question that you were prescribed Cymbalta for pain. Cymbalta, as Dzoo has said is an antidepressant, and helps occasionally for certain types of chronic pain. It can also take up to four weeks to start working. Perhaps if you added some more information, we could give a more thorough answer.

angel1662 8 Oct 2012

Hello VIB238,
Have to agree with the rest of the answers, Cymbalta is not a narcotic, it is used for several conditions and is an ssri, can be used for depression, general anxiety disorder and can be used for diabetic peripheral neuropathy pain just to name a few... hope that helped