Can CLINDAMYCIN TREAT UTI INFECTION THAT THE CULTURE CAME BACK SHOWS E-COLI?

masso 19 May 2017

Clindamycin can be used to treat UTIs.

Halfadoctor 3 Oct 2018

Don’t know where you go this from.
No, it can’t. Do not take clindamycin for a uti, it is ineffective against the common bacteria that cause uti - this is usually the anaerobic enterobacteriaceae (including E. coli) which are resistant to clindamycin.
Clindamycin is an antibiotic that is very effective for severe skin, sub-cutaneous and bone infections - these are caused by different bacteria to uti (commonly staph a).
As if this wasn’t enough reason, it also has more side effects than the typical uti antibiotics. So you wouldn’t only not get better, you may actually feel worsE.

masso 3 Oct 2018

Do not judge, ok I made a mistake , I am human... just answer the question , here we help each other out, we do not show off, Doc.-

masso 3 Oct 2018

Clindamycin
Clindamycin can be used to treat UTIs, and is often prescribed under the brand name Cleocin. It works by preventing bacteria from producing proteins that are essential to their survival. It is most often prescribed as a tablet, but is also produced in a suspension liquid form. Like all antibiotics, clindamycin works best when there is a constant level of the drug in your body, so take it at regular intervals as prescribed and avoid missing doses.

SOURCE: HEALTHFULLY.COM

masso 3 Oct 2018

I was not SO WRONG after all.-

Halfadoctor 4 Oct 2018

Thank you for sharing this info masso, I’m always open to new sources.
I have read the article you quoted on the website you mention. The author has no qualifications in medicine, pharmacy, health care or any other related field, and the citations given are to pages with information on clindamycin that do not mention it can be used for treating uti. The author offers no evidence base for their claim, and so this article should be regarded with caution.

I will be interested to look into the mechanism of clindamycin further, but I would still not use it for uti.
The information I have given above is based on what I have been taught by microbiologists and pharmacists, and is corroborated by the BNF and by hospital treatment guidelines.
UTIs can be treated with other antibiotics that are more effective for this specific type of infection and have fewer side effects.