Can I take doxycycline if I am allergic to penicillin?

Marvell 24 Oct 2009

Yes, it is safe to take doxycycline if you are allergic to penicillin.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antibiotics-and-alcohol/AN01802

laurajary 24 Oct 2009

I am allergic to penicillin and have taken doxy several times with no problems except it can make you vomit if you don't eat.

suzanne66 7 Dec 2012

Marvell is correct.
Penicillin belongs to a class of drugs called beta-lactam antibiotics. These drugs include penicillin and amoxicillin. They are used to treat many common bacterial infections including skin, ear, sinus and upper respiratory infections.

Penicillin allergy is an overreaction by your immune system to penicillin and other antibiotics in the beta-lactam family and closely related antibiotics.

Doxycycline belongs to a class of drugs called Tetracyclines. Tetracyclines are unrelated to penicillins and therefore safe to take in hypersensitive patients. Other unrelated antibiotics include quinolones (e.g. ciprofloxacin), macrolides (e.g. clarithromycin), aminoglycosides (e.g. gentamicin) and glycopeptides (e.g. vancomycin).