Can I mix retina-A cream with moisturizer and then apply them on my face together? Thanks!?

want2Bmedless 5 Dec 2010

Hi xiu!

I have done this. I use .05% strength. The only thing I would be careful about is what KIND of cream you were mixing with it. It will dilute the strength of your cream, but I know that my skin gets very flaky in winter if I do not do this occasionally. I would only use a cream "base" to mix with it... some examples of cream bases would be Moisturel or Glaxal Base... these creams are called "bases" because they are very simple creams/lotions that do not contain additional additives that may interact with the tretinoin in your cream.

Sometimes about an hour before bedtime, after washing my face, I put on Glaxal Lotion or Moisturel Lotion and in an hour it will have usually "sunk" into my skin... then I apply the Retin A... lotions are more readily absorbed into your skin... and that way you are still getting the full strength of your Retin-A. In winter, I usually try to alternate 2 strengths... I will use 0.25% one night, then 0.5% the next.

I hope this helps:)

xx

xiu 5 Dec 2010

Hi xx,

Thank you very much!
I am using 0.1% Tretinoin cream, which is very strong. I mixed it with cream de La Mer. Do you think this moisturizer has too much additional additives?
So you also suggested that it is better to apply the moisturizer an hour before the tretinoin rather than an hour after the tretinoin?

Thanks again!

Xiu

want2Bmedless 5 Dec 2010

Here is a list of all the ingredients of creme de la mer:

xiu 5 Dec 2010

Thanks! I use rentin A for acne. I have very serious acne. I just start to use cream de lar mer. And I am looking for a good moisturizer with SPF for day time. Do you have any recommendations?

want2Bmedless 6 Dec 2010

Hello again!

My acne has gotten a bit better over the years... also tends to clear up in the winter as there is electric/woodstove heat and it dries the air inside the house.

In winter I do not use a moisturizer during the day. When my skin tends to get dry and flakey I use the Glaxal Base moisture lotion that I mentioned above.

Right now, closer to winter, during the day under make-up I use 2 different SPFs on my facial area.

Winter: Around eye area only -- Clarins (Paris) Sun Control Eye Contour Care SPF 30 -- I chose this one because it has only 4 ingredients (less ingredients are better for me) -- Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 8.1% (sunblock), hydroxybenzoate esters & phenoxyethanol (preservatives), sodium chloride (yes, salt... I have no idea what that is used for)

xiu 6 Dec 2010

Thank you very much! I really appreciate your help!