Has anyone taking hydrochlorothiazide started having a problem with hair thinning/hair loss?

DrDonovan 9 Jul 2017

Hair loss in the form of increased hair shedding can happen in some patients using hydrochlorothiazide. However, this only happens in a small minority of patients and the vast majority do not experience hair loss from this particular drug. In order to implicate hydrochlorothiazide in a given person's hair loss, the hair loss should normally start within 3 months of using the drug. A patient who has been on hydrochlorothiazide for many years and suddenly experiences hair loss is unlikely to have the hydrochlorothiazide as the reason for their hair loss. Another reason is far more likely. Anyone who queries whether a drug is the cause of their hair loss should see a dermatologist for evaluation.

DrDonovan

Ltoothman64 19 Jun 2018

Yes! Here's the weird thing though. I took the capsule form in 25mg for about a year with no problems. Just 2-3 months after being switch to the orange tablet, my hair started falling out like crazy. I dread washing it now because that's when I lose the most hair. It is coming out like I'm on chemo or something. Hydrochlorothiazide is the ONLY medication I was taking. I stopped about 2 weeks ago, started taking biotin each day and I bought that Nexxus hair strengthening shampoo & conditioner. I hope it stops falling out soon!