Does amitriptyline show up on a drug test I need to take a drug test for a new job and Im not sure?

DzooBaby 30 Apr 2013

Some places do test for tricyclics, which amitriptyline is a tricyclic, and some do not, but if you have a prescription for the drug, they cannot hold that against you. They are looking mainly for illegal use and if you have a prescription, that is not an illegal use. I get tested a lot in my line of work and I never tell ahead of time what I take. I figure if they dont test for it or it doesnt show, it is none of their business. If they get a positive result, the labs medical officer will call you to find out if it is a prescription. They may ask for an Rx number or they may want to call your Dr or pharmacy for confirmation. Once they confirm that it is a prescribed drug, they will report it as a negative result to the employer. No worries!