Is 90mg of mirtazapine safe for first time?

WildcatVet 25 Feb 2017

Initial dose: 15 mg orally once a day at bedtime
Maintenance dose: 15 to 45 mg orally once a day
Maximum dose: 45 mg/day

janiebme 26 Feb 2017

Hi tyzza-
You may want to let your doctor know about what WildCatVet posted. That seems like a high dose to start out with.
Hope you find relief soon.

chuck1957 26 Feb 2017

Tyzza; If you have never taken this drug prior to now. You or the Pharmacist should verify this prescription with the Doctor. It is best to be safe than sorry. I am saying this because this is twice the manufactured maximum dose. And errors can happen You could call a 24-hour Pharmacy if you like and ask the Pharmacist what you should do. Here is a copy of one of the sites I pulled this message. (Initial dose: 15 mg orally once a day at bedtime
Maximum dose: 45 mg/day

Comments:
-May increase the dose every 1 to 2 weeks to a maximum 45 mg/day according to patient response.
-Patients should be periodically reassessed to determine the need for continued use of this drug. SO PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THE 90MG DOSE UNTIL YOU HAVE REACHED YOUR DOCTOR. or Pharmacist
chuck1957

ChelleKay 8 Apr 2017

I realize this is an old post but just in case it may help someone, I feel I should chime in. I have been on this med for over 7 years. Started out at 15mg and didn't feel any different. Following doctors advice, and now my own in a lot of situations, we increased it to 30mg. I have been at that dose ever since. Even tho I was looking for a quick fix, I came to realize I needed to give it time. I am so glad I did. I have PTSD and depression. I think my depression is mostly due to the fact that I have been sick my entire adult life,plus side effect of the 14 medsI take daily. Diagnosed w/ Crohns Disease at 21 after being sick for a year, was the beginning of my medical merry go round. As the yrs have passed I have picked up many more medical problems. This med helped me so much with the PTSD. I can talk about it now and the nightmares don't freak me out like they used to.