Sufenta Side Effects
Generic Name: sufentanil
Note: This page contains side effects data for the generic drug sufentanil. It is possible that some of the dosage forms included below may not apply to the brand name Sufenta.
It is possible that some side effects of Sufenta may not have been reported. These can be reported to the FDA here. Always consult a healthcare professional for medical advice.
For the Consumer
Applies to sufentanil: parenteral injection
Side effects include:
Respiratory depression, skeletal muscle rigidity (e.g., truncal muscles, neck, extremities).
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to sufentanil: compounding powder, injectable solution
Respiratory side effects including respiratory depression, apnea, and bronchospasm have been reported frequently.[Ref]
Cardiovascular side effects including hypotension, hypertension, bradycardia, cardiac arrest, and arrhythmias have been reported infrequently.[Ref]
Musculoskeletal side effects including skeletal muscle rigidity, particularly of the truncal muscles, intraoperative muscle movement, and chest wall rigidity have been reported frequently.[Ref]
Gastrointestinal side effects including nausea and vomiting have been reported.[Ref]
Genitourinary side effects including urinary retention have been reported commonly.[Ref]
Dermatologic side effects including pruritus and erythema have been reported.[Ref]
General side effects including chills and somnolence have been reported.[Ref]
1. Matteo RS, Schwartz AE, Ornstein E, Young WL, Chang WJ "Pharmacokinetics of sufentanil in the elderly surgical patient." Can J Anaesth 37 (1990): 852-6
2. Hays RL, Palmer CM "Respiratory depression after intrathecal sufentanil during labor." Anesthesiology 81 (1994): 511-2
3. Clotz MA, Nahata MC "Clinical uses of fentanyl, sufentanil, and alfentanil." Clin Pharm 10 (1991): 581-93
4. Blackburn C "Respiratory arrest after epidural sufentanil." Anaesthesia 42 (1987): 665-6
5. Wolff AP, Hasenbos MA, Liem TH, Gielen MJ "Accidental overdose of epidural bupivacaine and sufentanil." Reg Anesth 17 (1992): 237-8
6. "Product Information. Sufenta (sufentanil)." Janssen Pharmaceutica, Titusville, NJ.
7. Dangelo R, Anderson MT, Philip J, Eisenach JC "Intrathecal sufentanil compared to epidural bupivacaine for labor analgesia." Anesthesiology 80 (1994): 1209-15
8. Cohen SE, Labaille T, Benhamou D, Levron JC "Respiratory effects of epidural sufentanil after cesarean section." Anesth Analg 74 (1992): 677-82
9. Stienstra R, Pannekoek BJ "Respiratory arrest following extradural sufentanil." Anaesthesia 48 (1993): 1055-6
10. Russell R, Reynolds F "Respiratory arrest following extradural sufentanil." Anaesthesia 49 (1994): 446-7
11. Sharpe MD, Dobkowski WB, Murkin JM, Klein G, Guiraudon G, Yee R "The electrophysiologic effects of volatile anesthetics and sufentanil on the normal atrioventricular conduction system and accessory pathways in wolff-parkinson-white syndrome." Anesthesiology 80 (1994): 63-70
12. Newman LM, Patel RV, Krolick T, Ivankovich AD "Muscular spasm in the lower limbs of laboring patients after intrathecal administration of epinephrine and sufentanil." Anesthesiology 80 (1994): 468-71
13. Gust R, Bohrer H "Stiff-man syndrome associated with continous sufentanil administration." Anaesthesia 50 (1995): 575
14. Bowdle TA, Rooke GA "Postoperative myoclonus and rigidity after anesthesia with opioids." Anesth Analg 78 (1994): 783-6
15. Wilder-Smith CH, Wilder-Smith OH, Farschtschian M, Naji P "Epidural droperidol reduces the side effects and duration of analgesia of epidural sufentanil." Anesth Analg 79 (1994): 98-104
16. Russell R, Reynolds F "Epidural infusions for nulliparous women in labour. A randomised double-blind comparison of fentanyl/bupivacaine and sufentanil/bupivacaine." Anaesthesia 48 (1993): 856-61
17. Tuman KJ, Spiess BD, Wong CA, Ivankovich AD "Sufentanil-midazolam anesthesia in malignant hyperthermia." Anesth Analg 67 (1988): 405-8
18. Grieco WM, Norris MC, Leighton BL, Arkoosh VA, Huffnagle HJ, Honet JE, Costello D "Intrathecal sufentanil labor analgesia - the effects of adding morphine or epinephrine." Anesth Analg 77 (1993): 1149-54
More about Sufenta (sufentanil)
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.