User Reviews for Hyoscyamine

Also known as: A-Spas S/L, A-Spaz, Anaspaz, Colidrops, Cystospaz, Cystospaz-M, Donnamar, Ed-Spaz, Gastrosed, HyoMax, HyoMax DT, HyoMax FT, HyoMax SL, HyoMax SR, Hyosol, ...show all 30 brand names

Learn more about Hyoscyamine.

Crohn's Disease 3 reviews 66 medications

Urinary Incontinence 2 reviews 49 medications

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 41 reviews 129 medications

8.2
Anesthesia 0 reviews 129 medications Not rated - Be the first
Endoscopy or Radiology Premedication 0 reviews 80 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Hyoscyamine reviews 46 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Hyoscyamine

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Finding proper treatment for my severe IBS was a grueling task. This was the last medication left for my doctor to try with me, and it actually works! While it does tend to constipate me, and the side effects are a pain (dry mouth, constantly dilated eyes, photosensitivity, and decreased sweating), the benefits definitely out-perform the adverse effects. Since starting this medication I've gone from a hopelessly depressed, unemployed walking skeleton to a full time student and manager, and my flare ups have significantly subsided. In the case of a severe episode, a little medical cannabis immediately makes up for the pain and nausea that hyoscyamine can't relieve. Highly recommended."

jlest (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 21, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I struggled for almost a year trying finding out what was causing my stomach ache. I jumped from doctor to doctor and both said it was Irritable Bowel Syndrome but I couldn't believe it could cause such painful cramping. But I went to see a gastroenterologist and he confirmed it and prescribed Levsin. I was so skeptical about the prognosis and prescription but my stomach started to cramp one night and I popped in the meds for the hell of it. And the pain went away almost immediately. I'm a skeptic by nature so I thought it was just by chance that my ache went away. So I didn't pay much attention to it. The next couple times my stomach started to have an onset of cramps, I'd pop in the pill (one .125mg under the tongue) and the cramps would subside very quickly."

Binseattle January 30, 2015

Levsin SL (hyoscyamine) for Crohn's Disease: "I have been using Levsin SL for many years for Crohns (severe spasms). It is very effective. Two years ago I started having severe spasms and leg cramps due to some unknown disease that is effecting my legs. I have constant pain in my leg muscles and long bones. I also have severe leg spasms/cramps at night. I discovered one night when having both colon and leg spasms that the Levsin SL stopped the leg muscle spasms. I discussed with my doctor and I started using at night to treat my leg spasms. The spasms are quite severe with a pain level of up to 9 out of 10. Levsin is the only medication that I have found that is effective. The half-life for me is around 2-2.5 hours."

BlueNile (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 15, 2014

Symax Duotab (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Irritable Bowel Syndrome ruined quality of my life completely. I wasted enormous amounts of money and time for different doctors and medicines, supplement and procedures! As I am a beautiful young lady it was terrible to have all these IBS related symptoms! But thank goodness after a long way of researches I found out about this medicine! I am very afraid that someday it may stop working on me (I started from Robinul first-and it did stop after a month of usage)! It does not cure IBS, it doesn't completely help with the pain sometimes, but still it is the best product available in the market nowadays!"

Unknown user 2014 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I am much better and have fewer accidents."

CASEY2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This medicine saved my life, thats not a joke, my cramps and spasms were so bad I almost pass out and would have bowel movements 15 times a day. Once I stopped eating spicy things and milk only once maybe every 3 months or more, I feel so much better but stress also makes big problems for my irritable bowel syndrome. Hyoscymine 0.375mg made my life so much better. I take 1 every 12 hours, just cannot find out why no insurances covers this medicine."

henrydd April 16, 2014

Levsin (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Combined with a fiber supplement like Metamucil I find that Levsin really helps with the trapped gas pains I get with my irritable bowel syndrome. I get sharp stabbing pains in the upper left quadrants that will only be relieved hours later after the trapped gas finally leaves. Heating pad and having my girlfriend push on my stomach also can help, but since starting the Levsin my number of pain days is significantly down. Does cause fatigue though, and be careful with beers as it will make you even more tired."

banyai (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This medicine has saved me from going to the ER several times. I take it immediately at the onset of an episode and mercifully the pain is gone. I do not experience any side effects and the relief is almost instant."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 26, 2014

Levsin (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "A gastroenterologist prescribed this for me when I was having very severe abdominal pain from Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction and IBS. Well, it did everything but relieve the pain. It blurred my vision, made me nauseous, gave me a pounding headache, made me feel very hot, dried my mouth, made me drowzy, and slowed down my heart rate. The pain continued to worsen, and I ended up in the ER. I had several more attacks afterwards, and the Levsin didn't work then, either. I was then referred to another gastroenterologist, who prescribed me Bentyl and Doxepin. While I have had less side effects with them, they haven't touched my pain, either."

Rachel W (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Been taking 0.375 (supposed to be twice) already I changed to one a day 0.375. Guts are happy as a clam, first time in 30 years. I have been getting worse with time, had to be very careful what I ate. No onions, peppers, wheat, tomatoes, etc. Last night had 2 large scoops of spaghetti sauce on my rice noddles, guts were fine, even slept for 7 hours. Very dramatic improvement for me. It does seem to make me retain a little more water which increases blood pressure, easy to deal with."

jbc37 February 7, 2014

Levsin (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I've had Irritable Bowel Syndrome for 11 years, and for almost the entire time, this was the medication I was on. It worked great at first, but then I started having to take double doses (which at least helped with nighttime problems, as it made me extremely drowsy). Eventually, it had no effect on my pain whatsoever, and I only experienced the side effects. I've switched to Librax, which has given me limited results. This medication was a life-saver for years with very fast results, but I guess it just stopped working for me."

IBS Girl (taken for 10 years or more) January 24, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Hyoscyamine has largely worked for me, but not all the time. Diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome 1991. Dr started me on Levsinex (hyoscyamine) 0.375mg twice per day. I take one in the morning and one before noon. Dr also prescribed methylcellulous fiber to "train" my colon, which I've been taking once at night before bed. Psyllium fiber gives me chest pain. I stay away from fried and fatty foods, dairy, alcohol, but I do cheat a little when I'm safe at home. I have been tracking my "episodes" which seem to occur once per month, but are still wildly unpredictable. I'll go 3 times in one hour. Severe cramps, intestines sound like a pinched garden hose; a complete purge of the colon. "

Taj Mat January 14, 2014

Levsin SL (hyoscyamine) for Crohn's Disease: "Was given in ER for cramping. Worked quick! Lasted for several hours."

Melindaan January 10, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I'm 18, female. I seem to have drawn the short straw with this medicine. I'm very lightheaded, sensitive to light, and lethargic. On top of that, I've had headaches and dry-mouth, and I've lost my appetite. I suppose my symptoms have improved, but things are only better in the hours after taking the pill. Since I didn't have severe Irritable Bowel Syndrome, just cramping and frequent trips to the bathroom, the side effects negate the benefits. I cannot function as well as I would like. My lightheadedness has kept me from moving around much. I'll definitely be asking to have my dose lowered/the medication stopped, because I'd rather be in some pain than be on the verge of passing out whenever I stand."

MakReed (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This medication works great for three days, then I have what you may call a "purging" of what's probably been building up for those three days. But otherwise this medicine has allowed me to to "go" once or twice a day instead of making up to 8-10 trips a day to the bathroom. Dry mouth was easy to live with."

linmar (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2013

Levsin SL (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have experienced Irritable Bowel Syndrome for months and years. The flare ups got so bad everything would make me sick. Bounced from one DR. to the other. Gastroenterologist. Finally I was so sick and went back to my GP he prescribed me Levsin SL. It worked like right away. No side effects. I feel great now, after so much pain and suffering. I highly recommend this medicine. Previously I could hardly leave my house. I had no energy. The IBS attacks were so severe. The problem with IBS is some Doctors think its mental. I like to mention I take Probiotics every day and NEVER cheat on my diet. It's not worth it to eat something and then suffer for days."

YIYI September 13, 2013

Hyosyne (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This is the first prescription I've taken for irritable bowel syndrome, it worked very well but I could not continue taking it because of the severe side effects. It gave me the most extreme dry mouth I've ever had and dry eyes too. I had to stop taking it because the side effects were not just a little bothersome but they were severe and intense."

Sara421 September 1, 2013

HyoMax SL (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This medication works for me for a few hours, most of the time, when I get in a bind and HAVE to leave the house but I experience a wicked backlash of increased diarrhea for days after the one dose wears off."

Muttonmecom (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 20, 2013

Levsin (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I've had good experience with this pill so far. I've been taking it almost a year & if I know I'm going to eat something that might trigger an attack, I take it a few minutes before I eat & 9 out of 10 times, I do fine. This is coming from someone that was scared to eat anywhere away from home because my attacks would get so bad. I went to the ER a number of times because I couldn't bare the pain. This has been a miracle pill for me."

Jg02141 May 19, 2013

Levsin SL (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "If you have irritable bowel syndrome then you know how it can seem to pop up at any time. This is a sub-lingual medication. As such, it works very quickly to stop spasms in the colon. As my physician explains it: it slows down the action of the colon. Antidiarrheals will completely stop the action of the colon. You don't want to stop the action of the colon. "

Fraddyfrofralis (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 18, 2012

Levsin (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I switched from Bentyl to this because this is an extended release formula. I tried it for 5 months and went back to Bentyl. It didn't work any better and it dried me out so much I could hardly swallow. After a bad flare up, I ended up at the ER and they thought I was very dehydrated but I wasn't, it was just the medicine. I am going to talk with my GP about using something with phenobarbital as I have heard a lot of positive things about it. I already take a migraine medicine with phenobarbital, so I should tolerate it well."

Anonymous August 27, 2012

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I've had problems for so long I've been bounced around from doctor to doctor and they all told me I was making it up that I didn't really have all these bowel problems. My pediatrician told me and my mom I was faking to get attention. I've had 4 colonoscopies and an endoscopy in 2 years. Since this medicine I have never felt better. I still have a lot of issues but this medication is the best thing I have found and the relief is astonishing."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 22, 2012

Symax Duotab (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "At first, my stomach was sensitive to certain foods, as time went on it was everything I ate. The gas, aching, pains, making weird noises, running to the bathroom. I had tried many over the counter and prescription medicines, NOTHING worked. Finally, I switched doctors and he suggested this medication. I take it everyday, twice a day and it literally changed my life. I would suggest this medication to anyone with irritable bowel syndrome."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 13, 2012

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "My irritable bowel syndrome started up the beginning of 2011. The first time I had it was when I was in school, first hour. I thought it was menstrual cramps, so I just waited for it to go away. When it didn't, I asked the teacher to go to the restroom. When I got back it was still sore, and I ended up in tears from the pains, and my friend had to take me to the nurse. Mom didn't know what it was, so we waited a few (agonizing) months, and when it didn't go away, mom took me to the hospital and got some blood work done. I was prescribed hyoscyamine, and it works great! I've been taking it about a year now, and I've rarely been having IBS problems. Whenever I forget to take it, though, the IBS comes back like a shovel. This medicine certainly works."

Insanity-Refined March 31, 2012

Levsin (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "These antispasmodics did nothing for me. I was still doubled over in pain hours later. I also was very light-headed and dizzy and my physician ignored my reactions to the medicines. Not a good experience."

Anonymous March 9, 2012