User Reviews for Hyoscyamine

Also known as: A-Spas S/L, A-Spaz, Anaspaz, Colidrops, Cystospaz, Cystospaz-M, Donnamar, Ed-Spaz, Gastrosed, HyoMax, HyoMax DT, HyoMax FT, HyoMax SL, HyoMax SR, Hyosol, ...show all 30 brand names

Learn more about Hyoscyamine.

Urinary Incontinence 2 reviews 50 medications

Crohn's Disease 2 reviews 66 medications

8.5
Irritable Bowel Syndrome 39 reviews 125 medications

8.1
Anesthesia 0 reviews 129 medications Not rated - Be the first
Endoscopy or Radiology Premedication 0 reviews 80 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Hyoscyamine reviews 43 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Hyoscyamine

Review by Unknown user 2014 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Symax Duotab (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Irritable Bowel Syndrome ruined quality of my life completely. I wasted enormous amounts of money and time for different doctors and medicines, supplement and procedures! As I am a beautiful young lady it was terrible to have all these IBS related symptoms! But thank goodness after a long way of researches I found out about this medicine! I am very afraid that someday it may stop working on me (I started from Robinul first-and it did stop after a month of usage)! It does not cure IBS, it doesn't completely help with the pain sometimes, but still it is the best product available in the market nowadays!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 11, 2014 1:32 PM

Review by CASEY2 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I am much better and have fewer accidents.

April 23, 2014 6:01 PM

Review by henrydd:

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: This medicine saved my life, thats not a joke, my cramps and spasms were so bad I almost pass out and would have bowel movements 15 times a day. Once I stopped eating spicy things and milk only once maybe every 3 months or more, I feel so much better but stress also makes big problems for my irritable bowel syndrome. Hyoscymine 0.375mg made my life so much better. I take 1 every 12 hours, just cannot find out why no insurances covers this medicine.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2014 1:39 PM

Review by banyai (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Levsin (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Combined with a fiber supplement like Metamucil I find that Levsin really helps with the trapped gas pains I get with my irritable bowel syndrome. I get sharp stabbing pains in the upper left quadrants that will only be relieved hours later after the trapped gas finally leaves. Heating pad and having my girlfriend push on my stomach also can help, but since starting the Levsin my number of pain days is significantly down. Does cause fatigue though, and be careful with beers as it will make you even more tired.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 7, 2014 7:49 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: This medicine has saved me from going to the ER several times. I take it immediately at the onset of an episode and mercifully the pain is gone. I do not experience any side effects and the relief is almost instant.

March 26, 2014 5:19 AM

Review by Rachel W (taken for less than 1 month):

Levsin (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: A gastroenterologist prescribed this for me when I was having very severe abdominal pain from Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction and IBS. Well, it did everything but relieve the pain. It blurred my vision, made me nauseous, gave me a pounding headache, made me feel very hot, dried my mouth, made me drowzy, and slowed down my heart rate. The pain continued to worsen, and I ended up in the ER. I had several more attacks afterwards, and the Levsin didn't work then, either. I was then referred to another gastroenterologist, who prescribed me Bentyl and Doxepin. While I have had less side effects with them, they haven't touched my pain, either.

February 19, 2014 3:12 AM

Review by jbc37:

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Been taking 0.375 (supposed to be twice) already I changed to one a day 0.375. Guts are happy as a clam, first time in 30 years. I have been getting worse with time, had to be very careful what I ate. No onions, peppers, wheat, tomatoes, etc. Last night had 2 large scoops of spaghetti sauce on my rice noddles, guts were fine, even slept for 7 hours. Very dramatic improvement for me. It does seem to make me retain a little more water which increases blood pressure, easy to deal with.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2014 2:21 PM

Review by IBS Girl (taken for 10 years or more):

Levsin (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I've had Irritable Bowel Syndrome for 11 years, and for almost the entire time, this was the medication I was on. It worked great at first, but then I started having to take double doses (which at least helped with nighttime problems, as it made me extremely drowsy). Eventually, it had no effect on my pain whatsoever, and I only experienced the side effects. I've switched to Librax, which has given me limited results. This medication was a life-saver for years with very fast results, but I guess it just stopped working for me.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2014 1:12 PM

Review by Taj Mat:

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Hyoscyamine has largely worked for me, but not all the time. Diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome 1991. Dr started me on Levsinex (hyoscyamine) 0.375mg twice per day. I take one in the morning and one before noon. Dr also prescribed methylcellulous fiber to "train" my colon, which I've been taking once at night before bed. Psyllium fiber gives me chest pain. I stay away from fried and fatty foods, dairy, alcohol, but I do cheat a little when I'm safe at home. I have been tracking my "episodes" which seem to occur once per month, but are still wildly unpredictable. I'll go 3 times in one hour. Severe cramps, intestines sound like a pinched garden hose; a complete purge of the colon.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 14, 2014 10:39 PM

Review by Melindaan:

Levsin SL (hyoscyamine) for Crohn's Disease: Was given in ER for cramping. Worked quick! Lasted for several hours.

January 10, 2014 8:25 PM

Review by MakReed (taken for less than 1 month):

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I'm 18, female. I seem to have drawn the short straw with this medicine. I'm very lightheaded, sensitive to light, and lethargic. On top of that, I've had headaches and dry-mouth, and I've lost my appetite. I suppose my symptoms have improved, but things are only better in the hours after taking the pill. Since I didn't have severe Irritable Bowel Syndrome, just cramping and frequent trips to the bathroom, the side effects negate the benefits. I cannot function as well as I would like. My lightheadedness has kept me from moving around much. I'll definitely be asking to have my dose lowered/the medication stopped, because I'd rather be in some pain than be on the verge of passing out whenever I stand.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 6, 2014 5:15 PM

Review by linmar (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: This medication works great for three days, then I have what you may call a "purging" of what's probably been building up for those three days. But otherwise this medicine has allowed me to to "go" once or twice a day instead of making up to 8-10 trips a day to the bathroom. Dry mouth was easy to live with.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 12, 2013 10:10 AM

Review by YIYI:

Levsin SL (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I have experienced Irritable Bowel Syndrome for months and years. The flare ups got so bad everything would make me sick. Bounced from one DR. to the other. Gastroenterologist. Finally I was so sick and went back to my GP he prescribed me Levsin SL. It worked like right away. No side effects. I feel great now, after so much pain and suffering. I highly recommend this medicine. Previously I could hardly leave my house. I had no energy. The IBS attacks were so severe. The problem with IBS is some Doctors think its mental. I like to mention I take Probiotics every day and NEVER cheat on my diet. It's not worth it to eat something and then suffer for days.

September 13, 2013 9:17 PM

Review by Sara421:

Hyosyne (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: This is the first prescription I've taken for irritable bowel syndrome, it worked very well but I could not continue taking it because of the severe side effects. It gave me the most extreme dry mouth I've ever had and dry eyes too. I had to stop taking it because the side effects were not just a little bothersome but they were severe and intense.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 1, 2013 11:25 PM

Review by Muttonmecom (taken for 5 to 10 years):

HyoMax SL (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: This medication works for me for a few hours, most of the time, when I get in a bind and HAVE to leave the house but I experience a wicked backlash of increased diarrhea for days after the one dose wears off.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 20, 2013 1:13 AM

Review by Jg02141:

Levsin (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I've had good experience with this pill so far. I've been taking it almost a year & if I know I'm going to eat something that might trigger an attack, I take it a few minutes before I eat & 9 out of 10 times, I do fine. This is coming from someone that was scared to eat anywhere away from home because my attacks would get so bad. I went to the ER a number of times because I couldn't bare the pain. This has been a miracle pill for me.

May 19, 2013 11:47 PM

Review by Fraddyfrofralis (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Levsin SL (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: If you have irritable bowel syndrome then you know how it can seem to pop up at any time. This is a sub-lingual medication. As such, it works very quickly to stop spasms in the colon. As my physician explains it: it slows down the action of the colon. Antidiarrheals will completely stop the action of the colon. You don't want to stop the action of the colon.

November 18, 2012 11:20 PM

Levsin (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I switched from Bentyl to this because this is an extended release formula. I tried it for 5 months and went back to Bentyl. It didn't work any better and it dried me out so much I could hardly swallow. After a bad flare up, I ended up at the ER and they thought I was very dehydrated but I wasn't, it was just the medicine. I am going to talk with my GP about using something with phenobarbital as I have heard a lot of positive things about it. I already take a migraine medicine with phenobarbital, so I should tolerate it well.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 27, 2012 8:22 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I've had problems for so long I've been bounced around from doctor to doctor and they all told me I was making it up that I didn't really have all these bowel problems. My pediatrician told me and my mom I was faking to get attention. I've had 4 colonoscopies and an endoscopy in 2 years. Since this medicine I have never felt better. I still have a lot of issues but this medication is the best thing I have found and the relief is astonishing.

June 22, 2012 9:38 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Symax Duotab (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: At first, my stomach was sensitive to certain foods, as time went on it was everything I ate. The gas, aching, pains, making weird noises, running to the bathroom. I had tried many over the counter and prescription medicines, NOTHING worked. Finally, I switched doctors and he suggested this medication. I take it everyday, twice a day and it literally changed my life. I would suggest this medication to anyone with irritable bowel syndrome.

May 13, 2012 2:14 PM

Review by Insanity-Refined:

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: My irritable bowel syndrome started up the beginning of 2011. The first time I had it was when I was in school, first hour. I thought it was menstrual cramps, so I just waited for it to go away. When it didn't, I asked the teacher to go to the restroom. When I got back it was still sore, and I ended up in tears from the pains, and my friend had to take me to the nurse. Mom didn't know what it was, so we waited a few (agonizing) months, and when it didn't go away, mom took me to the hospital and got some blood work done. I was prescribed hyoscyamine, and it works great! I've been taking it about a year now, and I've rarely been having IBS problems. Whenever I forget to take it, though, the IBS comes back like a shovel. This medicine certainly works.

March 31, 2012 10:32 PM

Levsin (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: These antispasmodics did nothing for me. I was still doubled over in pain hours later. I also was very light-headed and dizzy and my physician ignored my reactions to the medicines. Not a good experience.

March 9, 2012 8:26 AM

Review by Juliette.Eliza:

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Before I began taking this medication I had gotten to the point where I couldn't eat anything without getting sick and just the thought of driving more than 10 minutes, or even taking a route without a convenient bathroom stop caused debilitating anxiety (which made symptoms worse!). Since taking it, I can travel and eat normally again. Dairy and alcohol still upset my stomach, but other than that I am living a normal life. Some days I still get sick, usually around my "cycle" but the improvements from before the medication are astronomical. Especially since side effects have been minimal-- only major one is headaches if I don't keep my fluid intake up.

February 29, 2012 3:22 PM

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: This medicine proved very effective for controlling my irritable bowel syndrome. However, at 0.0375 mg I found it rather sedating. So, I split the tablets and it still controlled my symptoms. It also helps with the stress incontinence I have as a result of prostate surgery, Overall, it was a miracle for me.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 20, 2011 10:35 AM

HyoMax SR (hyoscyamine) for Crohn's Disease: Some of the stomach pain went away but this medicine gave me blurred vision.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate