User Reviews for Duragesic

Learn more about Duragesic.

Chronic Pain 6 reviews 102 medications

8.8
Pain 20 reviews 909 medications

8.2
Summary of Duragesic reviews 26 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Duragesic

Review by Yohav (taken for less than 1 month):

For Chronic Pain: I've had the 75 mcg/hr patch on for 1 week with the pain level still the same as before using. I hope I'll be able to go to the 100mcg with better pain relief than the 75. Thank you!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 19, 2014 11:45 AM

Review by klassiebutterfly45 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Chronic Pain: Helped ok but had a lot of breakthrougg pain.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 11, 2014 9:35 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

For Chronic Pain: Have been taking Duragesic for 10 years. It works great, I use a coupon that covers up to $50. out of pocket, my insurance copay is $35 therefore I pay noting for name brand. The generic does not work as effective as name.

December 16, 2013 2:26 PM

Review by Jessnco (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Chronic Pain: I have had several surgeries to rebuild my shoulder muscles and have had one tendon reattached to the bone and covered with a plate as well as arthritis in my spine. The pain is unbearable at times and sometime I can't even walk. I was taking the extended release Oxycontin and norco for break-thru pain which didn't help much. They seemed to last a few hours and that was that. Even then I didn't do much because of pain. My doctor had me try the 75mcg patch for 72 hours and I was amazed. I can wake up in the morning and almost jump out of bed. We have changed to a patch every 48 hours as on the 3rd day it didn't seem to work. But now depending on what I do during the day I am virtually pain free.Highly recommend, get ur life back

November 13, 2013 2:10 PM

Review by Anonymous700 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Pain: Controls pain very well. Great for baseline around the clock coverage with short acting medication for break through pain. DO NOT ABUSE THIS MEDICATION!

July 6, 2013 5:34 PM

Review by Paranormal Investigator:

For Chronic Pain: I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and after trying different pain meds, I was finally put on Duragesic 25mcg every 72 hrs. The first day on a new patch is amazing. I could do nearly everything I used to. It even helped with the pain from bone deterioration due to a lifetime of taking high doses of Prednisone for my asthma. I will admit that the third day was the worst. About 5 years ago my doctor upped my dosage to 50mcg's every 48 hrs., which has made a huge difference. I still get Norco for breakthrough pain but I try not to take them unless the pain is really bad. I'm not the kind of person who likes to take any sort of medication but I know without it, my life would be awful.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 8, 2013 12:16 AM

Review by SUZANNEY01 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Pain: I was "scared" at first to try Duragesic because I knew this was a very strong pain killer. But I was taking so many pills without much relief that something else had to be done. I still have some pain (back pain - 3 compression fxs., and a fractured kneecap). The patches have been a big help in managing all my bone pain. Glad I was "brave" enough to try them. My Dr. is great to prescribe them,

December 3, 2012 1:39 PM

Review by LadyFrench79 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Chronic Pain: It kept my pain at bay very well. I wore a 50 mcg gram patch every two days. Occasionally, I would have break through pain but it was tolerable. The only downside to this medication is that it makes you moody and irritable.

October 3, 2012 5:21 PM

For Pain: I started on the patch approximately 6 yrs ago with a 0.50 patch for low back pain. Due to withdrawal symptoms on the third day, (sweating, chills, fatigue) I was increased to a 0.75 patch and then again to a 0.100 patch. I've been on it for two years and with the exception of the first 36-48 hrs. I have side-effect problems that are terrible. I have lost all my upper teeth due to gum loss and decay, this just after spending $2000 to get my teeth put into shape. I go from hot flashes and drenching sweats to chills every 10 to 15 minutes. I have severe backache, headache and urine retention. The patch did wonders for my pain, but long term, the side-effects aren't worth it for me.

May 23, 2012 1:23 PM

Review by belldom:

For Pain: My doctor recently put me on the Duragesic patches. For years I have tried many other medications with nothing positive to say about them, until now. I tried the patch and automatically thought it was great. I put the patch on, and it seemed like even though it says 72 hours it really only helped for 48. I made my doctor aware of these concerns and he instructed me to replace the patch every 48 hours and placed me on a breakthrough medication. Since then I have actually been comfortable for the first time since my accident. I think the patch is great!

November 24, 2011 10:14 PM

Review by back to pills:

For Pain: I was put on Duragesic when the MS Contin wasn't enough to control my chronic pain, osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia, even with breakthrough medicines. At first the patches worked well once I got up to a dose that worked. The only horrible drawback is that I live in the desert and once the daytime temperatures got over about 90 degrees F the patches began dumping more because of the heat. I finally had to quit using them, due to side effects brought on by the high temperatures. Also at times I would just fall asleep. I finally quit the patches all together when I fell asleep driving and almost had a bad, bad wreck. I feel the patches work great for people who don't have to deal with high outside temperatures.

December 16, 2010 2:06 PM

For Pain: I just had the worse 3 days of pain in many months because Rite Aid gave me the Generic patch. It isn't the same. The brand name has a delivery system with a reservoir of medicine on top of the patch. For me the brand name worked great.

April 3, 2010 10:59 PM

For Pain: I have partial seizures and take medication for that. The first 24 hours were frightening. I almost went to the emergency room. After 3 days of tremors and high anxiety the pain was back. A week later I began having seizures day and night everyday. My hormones went crazy with hard swollen breasts and facial breakouts. My entire chin was covered in blisters and painful acne. After a month, I couldn't function with the seizures and my veins were bulging and bright blue on my chest, neck and face. It has been so scary and the withdrawals are just as bad. I've taken Soma and Lortab for chronic fibromyalgia for 8 years. I am disabled by the pain and very disappointed by all the medications I have tried.

January 10, 2010 2:42 AM

For Pain: I could not live without my patches but I took the bus to Kansas to see family and my suitcase managed to disappear. I had the worst withdrawal I have ever been through. I ended up in the hospital, and had to fly home.

October 24, 2009 11:46 AM

For Pain: Duragesic was a great blessing for me. I'd been on Percodan x 4/day for about 2.5 years when I developed an ulcer from the pills. Doctor started with 50 mcg/hr, but that didn't do it, the 100 mcg/hr is working good still for me. I suffer chronic low back pain worsened after failed surgery. I've been on these for about 3 years now and am starting to have more breakthrough pain and still get Percodan for these times. Suspect tolerance is developing, but without the patches my quality of life was almost zero, barring the fact you are alive. These have given me back much of the things I enjoyed doing before, but requires moderation on my part more now. Only down side I see is the cost and addiction factors. Well worth it to me though.

July 27, 2009 9:47 PM

Review by akell:

For Pain: Good efficacy.

April 6, 2009 10:17 PM

Review by Kat4fsu:

For Pain: This patch has been the most effective in treating my spinal pain, however due to a change in work and traveling extensively the restrictions about getting a refill is hard.

April 3, 2009 1:53 PM

Review by ian aussie:

For Pain: Great as a pain reliever but major, major problems when I contracted Legionnaires disease and had to be put on strong antibiotics, Biaxin and E-mycin. These made my whole system go into meltdown until I removed the patch and went back on MS-Contin. Be very careful of drug interactions.

March 28, 2009 11:58 PM

Review by dugit:

For Breakthrough Pain: I was in a terrible car accident and kept having chronic back pain. I finally found out I had herniated L4 and L5 in my lower back. I was given so many different medicines by my pain management doctors. Nothing was working not even the epidural steroid shots until I was put on duragesic. I have been on them for 3 years and I wear two patches I am on 125mcg. I was basically almost hopeless till I was put on fentanyl. Now I have never felt better at 27 and a single mother of a five year old I could not afford to be in the pain I was in. I wear the patches every 48 hours and I still have break through medicines. I'm thankful for this miracle drug.

February 27, 2009 11:34 PM

Review by SicklerGyrl76:

For Pain: I have been on Duragesic for past 2 years. I'm on a dose of 150mcg every 72 hours. I have Sickle Cell Anemia and have intolerable back pain on a daily basis. These patches work wonders for my pain but I am a girl who loves to take baths. Just letting you know that you should not take really hot or really long baths while on the patch. I did and I thought I was going to die. My heart began to race and I had trouble breathing. After I struggled to get out of bathtub my husband snatched the patches off, scrubed the area they were at and I started feeling better in about 10-15 minutes. I love it for the pain but hate it for my baths.

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 7, 2008 3:59 PM

Review by ABUSHRN:

For Pain: I have been on Duragesic Patches for the past 12 years and they work well for me. Because I have been on them so long my dose is high and they are very expensive but thankfully we have insurance. If you take the brand name Duragesic Patches you can call the company and have overlay patches sent free, that help keep the patches on much better. I change my patches every two days. It is a very expensive medicine but definitely a live saver.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 5, 2008 2:35 PM

For Pain: If you have trouble keeping the patches on, there is a number on the packet that you can call and they will send a overlet, which you put over patch and you will be able to swim, etc.

143 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2008 1:50 AM

Review by ohiopainsufferer:

For Postoperative Pain: Previously prescribed oxycontin 40mg, new doctor switched me to Duragesic. For me it's convenient, apply the patch to clean dry skin and leave it alone but Oxycontin 40mg time release is much more effective for my continuous pain but doctors won't prescribe it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2008 12:38 AM

Review by bcmcqu:

For Pain: Finally after many years of increased pain from osteoarthritis a renowned pain clinic prescribed the duragesic patch. It was far more effective than any other medication.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 9, 2008 12:59 AM

For Pain: I'm thankful that I found a doctor that understood what I was dealing with and prescribed this medication. Without it I was just existing, and now have a full life. The 3rd day is tough when the medicine is wearing off, but by the middle of the first day of a new patch things are back in order.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 2, 2008 2:32 AM