Econazole topical Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to econazole topical: topical cream, topical foam, topical powder, topical solution
In addition to its needed effects, some unwanted effects may be caused by econazole topical. In the event that any of these side effects do occur, they may require medical attention.
You should check with your doctor immediately if any of these side effects occur when taking econazole topical:Less common
- Burning, itching, stinging, redness, or other sign of irritation at the application site
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to econazole topical: compounding powder, topical cream, topical foam
One patient developed erythematous, edematous, urticarial-like lesions with vesiculation at the site of econazole application. Sensitivity to econazole was confirmed by patch testing.[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Erythema (about 3%), stinging (about 3%), itching (about 3%), burning (about 3%)
Rare (less than 0.1%): Lesions with vesiculation at site of application (at least 1 case)
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Application site reactions[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Sensitivity to econazole
Rare (less than 0.1%): Pruritic rash (at least 1 case)
1. Millikan LE, Galen WK, Gewirtzman GB, Horwitz SN, Landow RK, Nesbitt LT Jr, Roth HL, Sefton J, Day RM "Naftifine cream 1% versus econazole cream 1% in the treatment of tinea cruris and tinea corporis." J Am Acad Dermatol 18 (1988): 52-6
2. Valsecchi R, Tornaghi A, Tribbia G, Cainelli T "Contact dermatitis from econazole." Contact Dermatitis 8 (1982): 422
3. Heel RC, Brogden RN, Speight TM, Avery GS "Econazole: a review of its antifungal activity and therapeutic efficacy." Drugs 16 (1978): 177-201
4. "Product Information. Spectazole (econazole)." Ortho Pharmaceutical Corporation, Raritan, NJ.
Not all side effects for econazole topical may be reported. You should always consult a doctor or healthcare professional for medical advice. Side effects can be reported to the FDA here.
More about econazole topical
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.