User Reviews for Terbinafine

Also known as: Lamisil, Terbinex

Learn more about Terbinafine.

Tinea Capitis 2 reviews 14 medications

Tinea Corporis 2 reviews 115 medications

5.7
Summary of Terbinafine reviews 150 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Terbinafine

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: "Took this drug a few years ago and it worked great. I had fungus in 3 of my toenails initially (and had it for a few years before trying this). They all cleared up after use of lamisil for 12 weeks. I had no side effects. But, within about a year, fungus developed again on my big toe (unless it never cured?). I'm taking lamisil again but I'm only 4 weeks in and I've gotten terrible headaches and pretty bad itching. I'm not sure if I will be able to go through a second round of the stuff at my 6 week checkin. I still think I'd recommend it because it did get rid of fungus on two toe nails but I'm not sure if the side effects would be too off putting for some."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2016

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I started to take terbinafine for toenail fungus and finger nail fungus, I had it in both big toe nails and thumb nails around the sides. I had to have a liver function test first to check I was able to take it. I took it for about 3-4 months can't remember exactly now! I have now been finished from the course for 4 months. My thumb nails are nearly grown back clear! And my toe nails are slightly behind but are doing well, there are no signs of the nail fungal still growing, just the nail needs to replace its self clear now. So all in all I have had good results from it, I had no side affects from the tablets, although I was advised not to drink alcohol whilst taking them, which I didn't. So good results! Don't be scared to take it!"

Lauretta2 February 4, 2016

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: "This medicine does work. I took it for about a month before I had a really bad reaction though. I had an itchy hive looking rash and it turned into welts all over my body including my face. My eyes swelled up and were really puffy too. I wish I could've stayed on the medicine for the 3 month period because it does work I have a clean toenail growing in but I had to stop the medicine so hopefully it stays that way. If you develop a reaction or an allergy to this it really sucks but it does work. I recommend not missing a day and always taking it at the same time everyday. I took it everyday when I woke up but I got sick and stopped taking it for a couple days, coincidentally when I started taking it again the reaction happened."

Sbls February 2, 2016

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I've had a fungal toe infection for 3 and half years tried several paints never worked. ..so I got a liver test done first so that I can take this medication. ..so far I've had no side effects. ..only a week in only got a months supply so here's hoping it's long enough to work"

Jambobabe (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2016

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I took the drug orally. I experienced a return of bladder discomfort called Interstitial Cystitis and had to stop taking it after 8 days. The bladder side effects gradually went away, but I had to take Elmiron to heal. The drug is too strong."

ruta January 29, 2016

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "Absolutely awful side effects for me after taking for just 6 days. Insomnia (it's 4am and I'm wide awake right now, if that tells you anything), diarrhea and vomiting (both of which I had within the past hour), and exacerbating my pre-existing depression and anxiety, inducing a very negative generalised sense of unease and dysphoria. What's more, apparently it takes months and months to get this poison out of your system entirely, even after taking it for just a few days. If I can deter just one person out there from starting this medication, it's worth it: this drug is the stuff of nightmares and should be pulled from the market. Buyer beware, it's not worth the risk. Read all the negative reviews out there."

jstar33 (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2016

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I have had a toenail fungus for 10 years on 1 big toenail. I finally decided to try the generic Lamisil after refusing to take it from hearing about possible liver damage. After taking it for 2 weeks I developed an itchy, red, bumpy rash on my back, chest, and neck. I am now using a prescription steroid cream on my skin for the next 2 weeks to help with this rash! I guess there's no hope in getting rid of this fungus. My dermatologist said to try Vick's Vaporub everyday 2x day to see if that helps..."

Amy J. January 20, 2016

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: "Took the pill form for 3 months. It worked beautifully. No noticeable side effects. I can wear sandals, etc. Couldn't even think of doing that for the past 5 years."

Stretch18 January 20, 2016

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I just started taking Terbinafine and its been almost a week. I was wondering if using Tea Tree oil will affect me while taking the pills? Any help please?"

Lizbeth. (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2016

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "After 20 years of toenail fungus, started on one big toe, then both finally all 10 I was ashamed and embarrassed but hid it well, lost the big toenail on my left foot totally and used to stick on a fake one. one day I noticed it had spread to my right thumbnail! Googled, googled, googled and discovered 'Tetbinafine'. I was able to buy online, and started taking one a day. Took each tablet with milk. Had a headache for first few weeks that wouldn't shift. Had 'metallic' taste and occasional upset tummy for the duration. Disappeared within 2 weeks of stopping. Took for 3 month, amazingly toenails replaced themselves. Nearly gave up at 8 week mark as nothing was happening, then suddenly, it did! Been off 9months now. Toenails still clear!"

ThirstyKirsty December 31, 2015

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I was prescribed terbinafine tablets as I had tried curanail paint on and the urea treatment. After about 2 weeks on the tablets I noticed the Base of my nail appeared healthy and clear although after 4 weeks the infection has since spread all the way to Base of my nail so the infection is actually worse now than it was before I started taking the tablets. The doctor says I should continue the course but I'm now on my 3rd month and my whole nail is completely infected. I've also been getting intense itching and chest pains."

Leer12334jfj December 23, 2015

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: "It took me 1.5 mos to work up courage to take Lamisil because of all the horrendous side effects I read about. I finally took it for 90 days with no horrible side effects. If I took it too close to drinking coffee or eating my beloved chocolate it made me nauseous. So I took it right b4 bed. Near the end of the 2nd month I started itching in various places really bad. I finished treatment wondering why I was so scared. Now just waiting for slow toenails to grow out."

MaNa2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2015

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "32 year old female with bad infection 10 years. The first five it was just in one big toenail and I was always able to cover it up. Then I became pregnant and it spread to most of my toes even on my other foot. I constantly had to maintain my feet and nails but it worsend. I had laser treatment, didn't work. Now, I'm about a week into my third month on Terbinafine and I see great improvement. My toe nails are growing out nice and white and the black brittleness is far from the cuticle. As far as side effects, I feel bloated and constipated. Also I sometimes feel like I have trouble breathing (not major, but definitely rapid heart beat). Usually lasts a few short minutes. I plan to finish my pills. definitely recommend to at least try!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2015

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I took this med for 2 months with blood tests between each month and my last blood test showed abnormal liver function for taking this. Stopped immediately. Would rather have the fungus."

Alimcg (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2015

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I've experienced toenail fungus on my right big toe for 10 yrs. I also have it in my 2 pinky toes and my left big toe but not as bad. I've been on terbinafine for 5 weeks and see a slight improvement. My toenails are starting to turn pink and not be so yellow. When I started taking the medication I had this bittery taste in my mouth and would get nauseated after taking it. Everything tasted awful so I found the taste of the pill is bitter and leaves a funny taste in my mouth so I started putting the pill way in the back of my throat and swallowing it that way and it helps with not getting the bitter taste. Also I started taking it before I went to bed because of the nauseousness I was feeling. Can't wait to look down and not see ugly toes."

Sansank (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2015

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: "After having taken this drug for 2 months, I got an awful, foul taste in my mouth and could not have anything touch my tongue without gagging and a feeling of something in my throat after visiting 5 doctors who just looked at me like I was crazy and never heard of anything like that one said it was the medication. I stopped taking it on Nov 2 this is Dec 1 and I still cannot eat or drink anything other than water. I have lost about 25 pounds. It is making me weak and tired and have no quality of life at this point. I no longer care about the toenail fungus I have been so sick with the taste, smell problem that the toenail problem is the very least of my worries. Missed Thanksgiving and hoping I won't miss Christmas. Don't take it!!"

grandma Sherry December 1, 2015

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I took the generic form for 3 months last January-March. Of four badly infected toes (the others had it too, but it wasn't super obvious) one cleared up right away during treatment, and the big toe has taken forever but is growing in normally. There is still 1/8 inch yucky nail at the top of the big toenail, but the new part looks good. This is almost a year later! My two little toenails still looked pretty bad until about a month ago, when I realized they were about 75% improved and still continue to improve. I had no side effects at all. My doctor told me to apply topical lamisil EVERY DAY for the rest of my life to keep this from coming back, and to throw out ALL footwear and replace it during treatment, so I did."

Cheniqua (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2015

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "This is my second time around for taking this medicine. The first occasion (about 14 years ago) after taking it for 3 weeks, I completely lost my sense of taste & lost half a stone in weight - it took three weeks after stopping the medication for my taste buds to work again. Believe me there is no pleasure in eating when you cannot taste anything!! When I was told I needed anti fungul treatment again recently I asked my gp to check the name of the drug I was given before, they couldn't find a record of it!! So I have been on this for three weeks & guess what, I have lost my sense of taste again, I also have a most awful taste in my mouth that I cannot get rid of - I have stopped taking them and will have to use an alternative treatment."

Metfer (taken for less than 1 month) November 2, 2015

For Cutaneous Candidiasis: "Have had a fungal infection in my mouth for almost a year and have tried many mess, however, this medication has been a nightmare!!! Will take last of a 10 day treatment @ 250 mgs. Have had severe nausea, severe heartburn ( living on tums for that), no taste, and a massive migraine for the whole 10 days. My question is " how long does this stay in your system because I can't take much more of this." Informed Doctor of problems and was told of 2 options... Stop the drug or suffer through it. Can't stop the medication because I can no longer eat due to mouth sores."

Darlylj (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2015

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "Taken this for two months and now had to stop due to increasingly severe pressure headaches and then nosebleeds. After a couple of days both have stopped. Going back to docs to see what alternative treatments are available."

viv essex October 16, 2015

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "When i started to use terbinafine i was reading at all these comments hoping to find hope for my expirience. i knew that it would take some time but i had to do this cuz i want to be able to take off my socks for once in many many years. i had fungus on all toes. i could not even clip them due to how thick they were. so my first symptoms were chest tighness but that went away in like 2 days. i didnt have any other side effects after. it took like 3 months to actually see improvement. its my 6th month and gladly to say my Last month on this medication. all my toes are normal now except for one of my big toes but its half way there.totally recommend this. it Works! :)"

Margarita212 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 4, 2015

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I have been taking this for about a month for toenail fungus. So far I have seen no improvement. I do understand it is a slow process and more time is needed to notice good results. Hope it's soon."

terbinafine (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2015

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: "I found the pill very effective. Took it every day for 3 months and by the time I had completed the treatment a new healthy nail had completely grown out. However, within weeks the fungus returned and a the nail became yellow and brittle again. Huge disappointment. At least I didn't have any bad side effects."

Lkdj (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2015

Lamisil (terbinafine) for Onychomycosis, Toenail: "You won't see results for about 2 months after you start taking it but be patient it works. You might have to refill 1-3 times and go about six months between them but it does works. It takes time. The first time it killed about 30% then the second time about 30% now on the third round almost gone."

Giveittime September 26, 2015

For Onychomycosis, Toenail: "First and foremost! If you are considering taking lamisil or the generic version please take into consideration that while taking this medicine you will rarely see results while taking the medicine . your doctor will prescribe you a three-month prescription and only after that three-month prescription is finished will you see any kind of results, unless you are taking the medication for fingernail fungus and not toenail fungus . Finger nail fungus you will see a difference with in six weeks , and toenail fungus you will not start to see any improvement for three months . My nails on eight toes and one thumb nail were about a half inch thick each .three months in and thumb nail is clear and toes are about half clear ."

Anonymous September 19, 2015