User Reviews for Brintellix

Learn more about Brintellix.

Depression 50 reviews 75 medications

6.7
Major Depressive Disorder 25 reviews 44 medications

6.6
Summary of Brintellix reviews 75 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Brintellix

Review by jame b. (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I have been on Brintellix for about 3 weeks now. So far I've noticed increased energy, weight loss, nausea, headaches, loss of sleep, nightmares, and some aggression. I have finally found 1 that works and I'm having all these side effects. I started out on the 10mg and still currently taking the 10mg. Maybe I need to be on a lower dose. I also take Ambien 10mg for sleep.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2015 9:23 AM

Review by MITX (taken for less than 1 month):

For Major Depressive Disorder: After 1 month on Brintellix I can't wait to get off! I have had constant nausea, mood swings, random itching, and uncontrollable crying that seems to come from nowhere. I did not experience any of these problems on Effexor although it did give me migraines at higher doses.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 4, 2015 3:13 AM

Review by Gio187:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I was admitted into a clinic & was monitored for 3 weeks. After the 2nd day I started feeling a change & after 4 weeks it's still good. Energy levels are up, thinking positively & coping with society & life again. Only downfall for me is trouble sleeping. Two thumbs up!

December 16, 2014 9:08 PM

Review by j bro:

For Depression: It worked for about a month. 10 mg, then seemed all of a sudden stopped working.

December 16, 2014 8:28 PM

Review by Aprilk83:

For Depression: I've been taking 10mg for 4 days now (today will be day 5) and I'm wondering if I can make it a full week like my doctor wants me to. The side effects have been horrible for me. I've been walking around like a nauseous zombie since day 1. Then there's the dizziness and headache that goes along with it. The only benefit I've experienced so far is weight loss, but that's not at all why I started taking this medication. Instead of the anxiety and depression I would normally feel, I feel no emotions.

December 16, 2014 7:05 PM

Review by Rozziemarie:

For Depression: Had headaches, constipation, high blood pressure, and night terrors, dizziness.

December 12, 2014 9:51 AM

Review by StephanieAlice (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I had no ill side effects with this medication. But, my doctor gave me samples, and when the samples were gone, my insurance wouldn't pay for the medication. I came off of it even though it worked because of the cost.

December 7, 2014 5:14 PM

Review by Tammy L (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I've had the side effects of nausea, diarrhea and low sex drive. Even so, it has helped improve my mood and reduced my anxiety. The side effects have decreased in the past few weeks but at first were bothersome. Largest complaint is the copay! Our cost is $122 after insurance! Outrageous. I probably wont be able to afford it for long. Sad because I finally found something that was working.

November 29, 2014 11:37 AM

Review by Tammy L (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I have had great results from this medication for my depression and also my anxiety. I did not experience the "dumbing" down that I have felt with other antidepressants. My focus is good and I've not had memory problems. One side effect I've noticed is lack of motivation / procrastination. It may sound odd but being a full time college student, I've never put things off till the last minute like I have been doing since starting this medicine. Other side effects I've had are gas and bloating, diarrhea, nausea. These have lessened over the past 8 weeks. All in all I'm very pleased with the results. Insurance: I'm not sure how much our co-pay will be for this, as I've been using samples given to me by my physician.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 23, 2014 10:51 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: Have anxiety and depression and have been on medicines for 20 years. Have taken Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Lexapro. Just switched 3 weeks ago from Prozac/Wellbutrin to Brintellix with Wellbutrin. Feel fantastic - much better mood, clear head, no anxiety. No side effects at all. Taking 10mg.

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 22, 2014 4:31 PM

Review by Jus10 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: This medication is absolutely amazing. I've tried Prozac, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, Viibryd, Paxil and Cymbalta over the course of ten years. Brintellix was the first medication that didn't give the unpleasant "disconnected/sedated" side effects of other SSRI'S. As a male, the sexual side effects a minute. I began on 5mg for two weeks and achieved a therapeutic dose of 10mg once a day. I have my life back and it also helps with obsessive compulsive disoder symptoms. I suggest taking right before bed, as it can make you a little drowsy.

November 20, 2014 1:44 PM

Review by MrAnxiousHands:

For Major Depressive Disorder: Was prescribed Brintellix after being on Effexor for years and years, and it stopped doing it's job. Started at the 5mg dose for 2 weeks, then to 10, and then to 20. The first week I had more energy and a very euphoric mood. I also became kind of impulsive and jittery (is installing broomstick holders in the utility room at 2:00am normal?). At 10mg my anxiety started increasing, and at 20mg my anxiety was almost debilitating. Talked to my doctor and she is switching me to something else. I'm sure it's a great med, but just not for me unfortunately

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 19, 2014 5:18 PM

Review by prox85 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I've been on Brintellix for just over 2 months and it's helped my depression tremendously. I've been on several SSRIs and this is far and away the best one I've tried. It kicked in a little faster and the lack of side effects is remarkable. (I was irritable when I increased my dose from 5mg to 10mg, but it subsided after a month and I took Klonopin as needed to help. I also noticed some mild scalp tingling which another person mentioned.) No sexual side effects, no weight gain, no TMJ, no night sweats! I'd recommended titrating up SLOWLY if you have anxiety/irritability (cut those annoying egg-shaped pills in half) and taking it with a meal to prevent nausea.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 2:42 PM

Review by francine5:

For Depression: My doctor gave me 5mg samples to take for 1 week, then 10mg. The first two nights I had trouble sleeping, also taking trazodone 100mg for sleep. Today I took my Vyvanse 40 mg, and the Brintellix, I already feel somewhat better. No side effects, but sleep. I really think this medicine can help me for the depression I've had.

November 15, 2014 6:12 PM

Review by Jane1245 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I've suffered from moderately severe episodes of depression and chronic anxiety for years. I have tried everything from Prozac to Cymbalta to Paxil to Remeron to Abilify. Side effects ranged from bad to intolerable. Headaches, weight gain, cognitive dulling. I almost gave up hope that anything would help. This medication has provided a lot of relief. My depression seemingly vanished. My anxiety is still there but seems a little better. Everyone's body reacts differently, but if you feel like you've tried every other SSRI starting a low dose of this might really help. It could be the placebo effect for all I know, but somehow I don't think so because of the lack of success with past meds. I'm on 5mg only. (I take it with low dose benzos).

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 13, 2014 12:12 PM

Review by BRiTT!:

For Depression: Started medication three days ago. So far my energy level has gone up, I feel happier and more positive. I have experienced itchy skin.. hoping that side effect subsides.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 11, 2014 8:33 AM

For Depression: After 4 months I thought I was doing quite well on 10mg Brintellix until I had very bad headaches. MRI imaging demonstrated I had constricted blood vessels in my brain a second test showed it had reversed itself. My neurologist strongly advised I discontinue this med because SSRI antidepressants can trigger Reversible Vasoconstriction Syndrome which can cause strokes and brain bleeds. I started Wellbutrin XL 150mg which doesn't target serotoin I'm told. I'm not doing as well and sometimes think about taking a chance and restarting Brintellix and at least have a better quality of life! Depression sucks!

November 5, 2014 11:48 PM

Review by happyagain87:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I have been depressed for 12 years. Throughout my life I've contemplated suicide, I had paranoid thoughts, and had very little self esteem. I have been on and off multiple antidepressants and couldn't find one that made me feel like myself again. Finally, when I started to experience severe mood swings and found myself becoming angry for no reason to the people I loved, I decided I should try to get help once again. My doctor started me on Brintellix and it has helped me so much. Fortunately, I don't experience any side effects. My mood is elevated, I'm gaining my confidence back, I'm more motivated, and most importantly I feel like myself again. I'm taking 10mg currently and find no need to go to a higher dose. The only downfall is the cost

October 31, 2014 11:05 AM

Review by kay2014 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Been taking Brintellix a little over a month, 5mg in the morning. No side effects. Tried to increase to 10mg experienced nausea, tiredness and jittery feeling. I suffer from insomnia and take 300mg Seroquel at bedtime. I wish I could tolerate the side effects at 10mg so I could get the full benefit of the medicine.

October 27, 2014 2:08 PM

Review by pretty n pink (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: I love Brilltenex. I've been on it for a year. Unfortunately I take 20 mg. I feel a whole lot better. So much better than Prozac. Only down fall is that my headaches are back. Might lower back to 10mg. Wish it wasn't so expensive.

October 26, 2014 11:35 AM

Review by JNC (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: On Brintellix 10 mg for a week. Had to stop taking it due to severe side effects including upset stomach, dizzyness, head rushes, increased mood swings and suicidal thoughts. Really threw me for a loop. Went back to Cymbalta which at least keeps me on an even keel with no side effects.

October 25, 2014 4:03 AM

Review by So far so good! (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I am a 46 yr old female with generalized anxiety disorder and depression. I tried Zoloft because it helped 3 of my family members. Zoloft made me miserable! I ended up in the psych ward with severe anxiety, depression and nausea. My doctor took me off of Zoloft and put me on 10 mg Brintellix and I noticed a change pretty quickly. He also had me on 0.5 mg of Klonopin 2x a day. My nausea virtually disappeared and my anxiety/depression improved significantly. I had some lightheadedness and itchiness on and off but eventually that subsided. I've reduced my Klonopin to 1 pill a day. I'm still going to therapy and trying to exercise and read my Bible which helps, but the medication has been a Godsend so far. I highly recommend it. The only thing is it is expensive.

October 21, 2014 2:40 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I get anxiety and depression. I've tried several antidepressants and for anxiety too none worked for me. They would cause drowsiness and didn't even work for my anxiety. I would be around my co-workers even felt like I was twitching and they couldn't walk by me because I felt like ants all over my body. I started taking Brintellix 10 mg and I'm only 114 pounds. It works great for me, more alert at work and wake up at 6 am and feeling refreshed.

October 15, 2014 1:04 AM

Review by capital J:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I've been taking it for couple weeks now. No side effects. I'm a lot happier. I like it better than Zoloft.

October 12, 2014 1:24 PM

Review by Hopeful1977 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I'm on my 3rd day. My mood seems to have mellowed out a bit. I'm not as moody as I normally am. I don't have the itchy skin but I have been experiencing a bit of nausea. This is my first time being on antidepressants and I really hope this gets me out of the funk I've been in the last 6 months. I got a 3 week sample supply and haven't submitted my prescription yet to see if insurance will cover what my physician describes it as "the designer antidepressant".

October 10, 2014 9:48 AM