User Reviews for Brintellix

Learn more about Brintellix.

Depression 102 reviews 75 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 41 reviews 44 medications

6.7
Summary of Brintellix reviews 143 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Brintellix

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been on anti-depression medicine for about 10 years. Different ones, but, the last one - Lexapro-. I felt like I was going crazy. I had crazy feelings of not being worth anything and like everyone was against me. Cried all the time and did not want to do anything. My doctor started me on Brintellix (20MG) and I felt better after about 1 week. I have been on it now for 1 month. I feel like I need this medicine to keep going every day. It did cause me to feel nauseated daily for about 2 weeks. That feeling has gone. But the bad part of this medicine for me is that my taste has changed when I eat certain foods. I have a better outlook on life and do want to do things but still have issues."

Susie1800 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2015

For Depression "I've been severely depressed for 10 years inc 2 hospital stays. My psychiatrist is excellent and suggested brintillex After I've been on cymbalta for 2 years. Already so much less sleepy, more prone to complete tasks, not moping around all day and I have hope. Only one side effect is skin itching I can't seem to stop it! But other than that very happy. If you've given up on life, the future, any chance of recovery give it a try."

CatCharlotte May 16, 2015

For Depression "I was on Lexapro for about 2 years until itstopped working. Prior to that,over the last 25 years was always on an antidepressant. You name it, I've tried it. What the antidepressants did for me was just take away the severe irritability that I had, I was really at a low point when my doctor asked me to try Brintellix. I had no desire to do anything. I felt no joy. I had been taking 40 mg.of Lexapro a day. Doc said I didn't have to wean off it. He said I could just switch, starting the next day and I did. I Started on 5mg for the first 2 wks then increased to 10mg it's only been 4wks that I have been on it and my nausea has got better, I have a clarity in thinking that I didn't have before. I feel joy now. I am staying on it. Also, no sexual problems on it. Got Hope!"

AuntieAnn May 15, 2015

For Depression "I switched from Zoloft due to fogginess at higher doses. As others have mentioned, the nausea and dizziness were definitely difficult for me when I first started Brintellix. At the same time, I could tell this was working for my depression. I was so grateful for the antidepressant effects. I cut back from 10 mg. to 5 m.g. (half a pill) for a couple of weeks and the nausea began to subside. I went back up to 10 mg. and now nausea is only an occasional problem. My doc said to make sure to take it with food, which I do in the morning. I know others take it at night. The nausea was indeed difficult, but I am so glad I stuck with it. For me, it is a very effective antidepressant."

Moon in Virginia (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I only stopped taking this medication because I switched insurances and the new company will not cover it at all! Being off of it, I realize what a huge difference this medication made. I took Brintellix for 4 months. I had some difficulty the first couple weeks, to be honest, with sleep. Taking the medication in the evening made sense for me, I slept better vs. taking it in the day time, I slept worse. I ended up not needing to take any of my anti-anxiety pills after a month! My arousal was not hindered at all. Brilliant medication, thank you to whoever discovered this one."

hbea (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've titrated from 5mgs to 10mgs over a month. I'm still on Seroquel and Rivotril. The Brintillex definitely causes tummy issues, between nausea and severe indigestion/heartburn which exacerbates my asthma. So I'm trying different times to take it. The one suggestion is to take it with your biggest meal. And as someone has said earlier it seems that certain foods do make the nausea worse."

Thecookingpan May 9, 2015

For Depression "I have tried many anti-depressents over the years and couldn't handle any of them as I would feel so drugged and sleepy on them I can't do anything but this time my doctor told me about Brintellix, and he gave me a lot of samples. He said it's a new antidepressant that doesn't have side effects. I was majorly depressed. I was crying everyday and even left my 30 year marriage. Well I was on 10mg and from the first week it was great. I was calmer, stopped crying, and I felt really happy. I love it! Only thing is this stuff is so great, it is $400 & with my insurance the co-pay was $70 & I even had a coupon! I can't afford that every month so I had to stop. Now I'm getting very depressed again after 1 week without. Can anyone help?"

mamashab (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I suffer from Major depression and panic and anxiety I have been in all the mess out there nothing has worked after feeling dangerously suicidal my doctor gave me some samples I felt the difference immediately more calmer able to deal but still very depressed this is on day 6 of Brintellix 10mg but reading all these reviews make me hopeful that good will out weigh the bad side effects 1-2 days headaches 3-6 nausea no appetite so we will see I have insomnia so I take a half of Ativan 1 mg and sleep and wake up rested so far so good god bless you all"

Syny (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2015

For Depression "I took this for 2-3 weeks using samples. I was taking Vibrid before. I had the worst side effects from this drug than anything I have ever taken. I can remember sleeping late and feeling like I was coming out of a coma. It also made me feel like hell in general The oddest thing is that when I discontinued it, not only did I feel much better, but I have been taking this in conjunction with another drug -- Wellbrutin. After I got off the SSRI type stuff, the Wellbrutin became very effective. Enough that I did not add anything else Wellburtin has no negative sexual side effects. And I have lost a couple of pounds in 2 weeks. The side effects started when I began and ended when I stopped. No lags."

ifonly (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2015

For Depression "I went to the doctor about the itching and turns out I had a severe allergic reaction to Brintellix. 103 temp, so I have to wait a week to get the meds out of my system."

Amberrmb (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2015

For Depression "I was on Prozac for 6 months and it was completely horrible for me. Nightmares every night and suicide was way more compelling. I stopped takin the medicine cold turkey. A week ago I got put on 5 mg samples of Brintellix. It has been working fine, but my whole body has been itching like crazy. It's so bad I have blood spots & bruises all on my body. I'm calling my doctor tomorrow to see what they can do about it."

Amberrmb1 May 3, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been on medical disability for over a year due to treatment resistant MDD, GAD and severe anxiety. For the past 4 years, I've been on 375 mg Effexor with Clonazipam. Finally trying Brintellix, and although it has only been a week into the transition to this med, I am blown away by the major improvement in my life. I actually feel normal. Like a veil was lifted. I had even just been approved by insurance to receive TMS therapy, but am not going to do it since this med is so effective. I am having significant stomach pain in the past couple of days, but just read that it has a bad interaction with the two meds I take for migraines and neck pain, Ibuprophen and Ultram. Hopefully, it will settle down."

ED61 (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was taking Cymbalta, and all of a sudden it quit working. My Docs office had samples so I starting taking the brintellix. After my first week I went back to the doctor and told them I didn't feel any change, so she bumped me up to 20mg. I now feel so calm and my mood is better, and I am more sociable. This is a excellent medication."

NH916 (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2015

For Depression "I have been on celexa for 10 years now. It was no longer working for me. My doctor cut my celexa dose in half and had me take 5mg of Brintellix. I read all the reviews on here and was hopeful. Many talked about nausea, so when I experienced nausea after 20mins of taking the meds, I thought it was normal. A half hour later, I was on my way to work with my kids, I threw up all over myself in the car. I highly recommend trying this drug for the first time on a weekend. Didn't work for me :("

carson77 May 1, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been on Brintellix for four days now after switching from Cymbalta and I am completely regretting it. I felt great for the first day but now feel as bad as I did when I first sought treatment. I'm dizzy and nauseous, I've had trouble falling asleep, I'm constantly hungry, I itch everywhere, and I feel like I'm always about to start crying. I've had suicidal thoughts of a severity and frequency I haven't had since before I went on Cymbalta. I very nearly contacted a crisis help center last night, I felt so bad -- and I don't even really know what triggered it. I'll discuss it with my therapist tomorrow but I really want to stop taking it; I'm actually nervous about trying to hold out for a month before I see my psychiatrist again."

C.D.N. (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

For Depression "I was on Paxil when my doctor switched me to brintellix 10 mg. The Paxil had stopped helping with my anxiety and depression. I experienced the itchy skin for the first week but that subsided. I did experience some nausea but it went away also. I was on this medication for 4 months and at first it was GREAT! I felt so much better however I started noticing my energy level was decreasing and weight gain. At my last dr appt, I had gained 8 pds in 2 wks which was a total of almost 25 pounds in 4 months!! Needless to say, dr stopped medicine immediately and switched me again. So if you have a tendency to gain weight this medication may cause you to pick up pounds in a short amt of time!! Even tho weight gain is not listed as a main side effect."

ShannahDawn April 30, 2015

For Depression "Just started Brintellix 3 days ago. Been on effexor xr 225mgs for about 8 yrs & it stopped working. Doctor told me I should be done with effexor in about 10 days. Ugh. I dropped immediately to 150mg & starting to feel bad. I really want this to work but worried the Effexor withdrawal will get the best of me. Anyone else made this transition?"

Bottles10 (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

For Depression "Hurt my stomach initially but that has gone away. Feel better than ever."

school teacher 24 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2015

For Depression "I am only on day two. I hesitated taking this drug because the last antidepressant I took (Cymbalta). was horrible. It took me a year to get rid of the withdrawal symptoms. To this day I will still have random "brain zaps". So back to the Brintellix, I was in the deepest and darkest depression of my life ever. I knew I had to do something so yesterday I took my first pill. Later that evening I was feeling much more calm and better. Today my deep depression is gone. I still have room for improvement. I would have never thought in a million years it would start to work that fast. I was very nauseous yesterday after I took it but I was nauseous before I took it. I just took pill #2. So far I am very impressed. I will report back in the future"

Patty-cakes (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Subtle, but highly effective. Combine 5mg with 30mg Cymbalta. I was on 60mg Cymbalta, titrated Brintellix to 10mg, but experienced discomfort (heightened anxiety and weird burning feeling.) I lowered Cymbalta dose to 30mg a day, an immediate relief from the anxiety. However it crept back, and I concluded it was an interaction leading to accumulation of Brintellix and went back to 5mg of it. Now after three months I start to get used to that it actually works. Only discomfort is occasionally feeling nauseous (after eating sweets or pastry on an empty stomach.) 60mg Cymbalta helped me for years with depression and anxiety, however leaving me foggy. The new combination is totally unnoticeable except from making me calm and happy."

Rubixo (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2015

For Depression "Started at 10mg for 2 weeks and took 20 for 4 weeks. Some nausea and itchy skin first 2 weeks then no noticeable side effects. However, I did experience elevated blood pressure and severe ringing in both ears but was also taking large dose of prednisone at that time for cluster headaches. Stopped taking everything and BP returned to normal. Before the BP spike, this stuff was working exactly as stated. Have tried to restart but vomit every time."

geeheettee (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2015

For Depression "I just started this medication after using Lexapro for 18 months and it quit working. My doctors office had some samples of Brintellix and switched me over. Since I started this medication I have been so sleepy I can't get off the couch. My mood/depression is much better but I can't stand being tired all the time. I will give it another week, and if it does not get better I will call my doctor."

GenniericZach April 22, 2015

For Depression "I started on 5mg and after a couple weeks didn't notice any changes and went to 10mg. Been on the 10mg for over a month now. I feel more calm and "easy going" now. I use to have panic attacks and anxiety and those are gone. For those experiencing nausea: I also have a lot of nausea soon after taking the pill, but I now take it right as I go to bed and I am not bothered by it at all. Mild headaches sporadically. Great alternative to what is on the market right now, especially for those with anxiety that don't want the sedation."

early30something April 21, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Best result thus far with no side effects. Was shocked at diagnosis of MDD, but Brintellix has been most effective in helping me feel like myself with interest in life again. Had been on Lexapro forever - stopped working. Tried Effexor 1 day - it had to go as between crying & other adverse effects I just wanted to crawl in a hole & hide forever. I'm so glad my Dr. prescribed Brintellix as I haven't felt better in a long time - really thought I was going crazy."

Half pint (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 21, 2015

For Depression "I have taken 5mg for two months. Although I am feeling better I have developed a shrill ringing in my ears. Is anyone else experiencing this?"

SLB2 April 17, 2015