User Reviews for Brintellix

Learn more about Brintellix.

Depression 121 reviews 76 medications

7.1
Major Depressive Disorder 51 reviews 46 medications

6.6
Summary of Brintellix reviews 172 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Brintellix

For Depression "I've suffered with depression type symptoms most of my life. I mainly suffer from Somatization disorder. I've tried many different antidepressants over the past 20 years & they usually only made me more depressed. I started 10 mg Brintellix May of 2014. I felt AMAZING! Then, it wore off & was bumped to 20mg. This worked fine. One side effect that we can't figure out is that I'm always SO HOT! Not sweating, Just always crazy hot! I weaned off the Brintellix over two months, until I was taking just a small corner of the thinner side then stopped. That was 3 weeks ago. Since then, I had TERRIBLE withdrawals & couldnt stand it. Head vibrating is the worst. Went back on Brintellix last night. I feel discouraged. But it worked for depression...."

CandyKisses4 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 27, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I am a 44 year old female & have fought with dep & anxiety for at least 25 years... If not more! I just started brintellix, and I love it. I have tried them ALL. Not sure if I have an intolerance to the others, but my doctor told me, this is the one he falls back on every time (when a patient does not respond to others). He says he doesn't prescribe it too often because of the cost factor, he started me on 5 days at 5mg (10mg simply cut in half) to let my body adjust to it, then to the full dose of 10mg. It is exactly what I needed. For all of you out there that suffer from dep &/or anxiety, I encourage you to talk to your Dr about an MRI and checking for MS. In may of this yr I was diagnosed & it all makes much more sense now! Research it!"

Bmartin1214 (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2015

For Depression "I have chronic headaches from a head injury and I am Bi-polar. I have a wonderful psych doc and a brilliant neurologist. They have always worked in conjunction with one another. I let them know that this was the last drug I would be trying as I feel I have done every drug and combination possible. As most of the reviews have stated, the nausea is significant and the itching intermittently. I find it similar to Cymbalta without the profuse sweating. It really helps with anxiety and doesn't seem to have sexual side affects (happy hubby). Because of the nausea and tummy trouble, I don't eat much and when I do it is because I am craving something. For me, the stomach ache is worth it as it is keeping me stable and productive."

brokennoggin July 24, 2015

For Depression "I have had clinical depression since I was a young child. I am now almost 24 and I don't think I've ever been happy, for more than a few weeks at a time, in my entire life. I have been on Zoloft and Wellbutrin in the past that did not help at all. I have been on Brintellix for a little over 6 months now and it has changed my life. I'm a better wife, mother and a significantly better college student. For the first time in my life I feel alive. There are no longitudinal studies on this new drug which makes me nervous. Side effects were severe for about 3 weeks and my insurance doesn't cover this very expensive drug(why I rated 9/10). Ultimately, Brintellix changed my life. I didn't think I would ever be happy."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 19, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Been on Brintellix 10 MG for 1 month, at the same time decreasing Lexapro and Wellbutrin. Noticed immediate decline. Felt like I was not on meds at all. Increased to 20 MG. Felt angry, had uncontrollable emotional outbursts. Now on Xanax. When I feel loopy, angry, anxious I take it but am so out of it. I feel horrible and out of my mind. The genetic test said that Brintellix would be good for me but I can't function properly."

Autumn Marie July 12, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I don't know how to rate this drug. I have tried almost every antidepressant available since 1991, and this is the only one that truly worked. My life improved in all ways since I started it approx 4 months ago. When I raised my dose from 10mg to 20mg I had tachycardia, blood pressure changes, shaking episodes, so went back down to 10mg. Weeks later developed severe back pain spreading to all joints so now I can barely walk, just agonizing pain all of the time. I am so disappointed, I was absolutely in love with this drug."

don't know how to rate July 10, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "It is... amazing. I have been on antidepressants on and off since i was 16 years old. I am now 19 any my life has completely changed around. My sleep is better, my appetite normal, my mood heightened, anxiety is away, and I don't feel as if there's something weighing down my heart. Please, if you are depressed right now, I highly recommend this medication. My dad has been using it too and he is genuinely happier with his life; i can see it in his eyes."

Jeffrie J. July 9, 2015

For Depression "I've tried others years ago and could never tolerate them. I've been battling some health issues for awhile which has caused anxiety and recently depression. I am one of those people who are sensitive to everything I take so was nervous about trying this. I've only been on it for 5 days at 5mg in the morning. Mild nausea that goes away. I'm hoping for some energy as fatigue is a big issue for me. I think I'm feeling a bit less down but still to early to say I guess. I'll keep updating. Good luck everyone"

Craftyfable July 8, 2015

For Depression "I was on venlor for 6 months and couldn't take the nausea and dizziness. .. it messed with my blood sugar and cholesterol. I changed ti Brintellix, 6 months now, and I'm feeling awesome. Life is back to normal and Im much better now. No side effects."

JohnnyBAlive (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 1, 2015

For Depression "Horrible side effects. Was on for 1 month but was nauseated and vomited every day for that month. I give it a two only because it didn't make me suicidal, as some other Rx's have (cough-Cymbalta) Now on Viibryd and doing much better (and not vomiting!) :)"

SnowWhyte (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2015

For Depression "I switched from Zoloft and Seroquel to Brintellix 10mg. At first i noticed I had more enegry. I also have itchiness and some upset stomach but that goes away. those of you without insurance or with it and it wont pay enough ask your dr about patient assistance forms. Waiting to see how it helps since I lost my job."

twiggy1256 (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2015

For Depression "I have tried lexapro, Zoloft, calexa, and brintellix. My body does not tolerate meds well. Lexapro was so intense that I took it for only two days and suffered almost every possible side effect. Zoloft caused nausea, weight loss, & I was still having panic attacks. Calexa was good, but I had increased migraines. Now I am trying brintellix, but my anxiety is back. I am crying without a direct reason. I am extremely tired. I also have an upset stomach. I suppose I will have to decide which side effects I can tolerate and just "live" with the nuisance. At this point, I don't want to cry every day. I want to have energy and enjoy life again."

4th med June 23, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Brintellix has reduced my depression to the lowest levels I've ever had with one medication. I have had medication resistant major depression with suicidal thoughts and occasional auditory hallucinations, severe insomnia, and attention problems for 30 years. I have had to take 3 meds to control it in the past. This med is making me feel incredibly "normal". However, I am having headaches and some nausea at 25 mg (always need high doses) but the headaches are improving- I think they will pass like most side effects do if I stick with it and practice patience. I feel to good to give up easily."

L B (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I just took my first dose of the 10mg Brintellix after a week of the 5mg. I take mine at night with my Latuda which requires 350 calories so I've experienced virtually no nausea. I'm very surprised that I have taken so well to this drug. Generally, I experience a lot of the negative side effects but this time I haven't. I'm hopeful that we will reach a dose that really removes the depression and I can start living my life again. I haven't noticed any weight gain , which is always a concern of mine. I'm hopeful that this will be the one but I've also been hopeful in the past and have been let down."

slintz0706 (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2015

For Depression "In the last 6 years I've been on Effexor and Pristiq (synthetic Effexor and I had horrible withdrawal from them), Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, and Mirtazapine. None seemed to work for long and most didn't seem to help at all and I've wondered if I am resistant to the meds. In addition, my anxiety has been awful. Finding an anti-anxiety drug has been tricky because I'm in recovery (used to self-medicate my depression and anxiety) and I need to be extra careful about taking certain medications since I have the tendency to abuse them. It's too early to tell if Brintellix will work for me but the genetic testing shows it's a good match. The nausea is bad, but I'm used to taking meds on an empty stomach so will start taking it with food."

ElliEtte (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2015

For Depression "Day 9 of Trintallex. Have seen glimpses of normality but have still been highly unstable and dysfunctional. Side effects include: little bit itchy skin, headache, ringing in the ears, agitation/hyperactive at times. I know I'm early in the process.... This is extremely difficult. I'm considering getting the DNA testing to find a more suitable med if I don't see harsh improvements in the next couple of weeks."

sam696969 June 18, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "The sickest six weeks of my life. Constant nausea accompanied by intermittent vomiting, headaches and flu-like symptoms. I would have had to die to feel better. An emotional wreck, severe bouts of crying, feelings of utter despondency and hopelessness that were not present before taking. I am amazed that this drug made it through the FDA with such high incidences of nausea. Absolutely horrible experience."

Anonymous June 16, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Started 4 days ago and noticed a calming effect during the first day which made me excited and hopeful. I am cross titrating off cipralex with this med, though I feel I can just stop the 20 mg of cipralex. On day 3 I developed an itch in random parts throughout my body, just got allergy medication in attempts of making this uncomfortable side effect subside. I am hopeful this goes away. I am on 5 mg currently."

simmy16 June 13, 2015

For Depression "I've been battling MDD for about ten years now and I've been on and off many different medications. My biggest complaint with most of them was the fatigue. I'm only 24, but while I was on this medication it was hard for me to keep up with my friends that were similar ages. I was always tired, always taking naps and still going to bed early. With Brintellix, the fatigue is GONE! It's easier for me to wake up, I can do more during the day without wanting to take a nap and having more energy has given me the opportunity to start exercising again. I do have a bit of stomach upset while taking it, but it is mild and, frankly, a smile price to pay when considering all the good Brintellix does for me."

Audixgirl June 10, 2015

For Depression "I been on brintellix for a month now it has helped me a whole lot with panic attacks .. No side effects at all .. I'm taking 10mg a day . Started with 5mg for two weeks then went up to 10mg .. I feel optimistic about the future now I have my life back . I went six months without driving because I was scared of a panic attacks but with this medication I am back driving I suffer from phobia of driving over bridges .."

Bronzebombshell June 10, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been taking Brintellix for 2 months. I've been on several other antidepressants: Wellbutrin, Effexor, Viibryd, and Pristique. Brintellix is the only medication that has sustainably improved my mood without causing fogginess or terrible side effects. My concentration has improved, my energy is consistent, my anxiety and agitation are greatly reduced, and I'm happy. The first month I was very tired. Sleeping about 10-11 hours a night and still having trouble getting up in the morning. This has passed and I'm back to a normal sleeping schedule and energy level. I experience nausea from certain foods/drinks. For example, coffee. Other side effects I'm experiencing are constipation and weight gain. The pros still greatly outweigh the cons."

jane_a June 9, 2015

For Depression "I am an R.N. and diagnosed 20 plus years ago with clinical depression, I have also been on just about every antidepressant. A week ago I requested help from my physician due to the increasing depression and lack of help from Cymbalta he prescribed Brintellix. I switched immediately and some of the symptoms are withdrawal from the Cymbalta. The " reverberations" in my head are distinctly withdrawal symptoms. My headaches appear to be from decreased sodium which is a Brintellix side effect and for me are eliminated by drinking Gatorade which is high in sodium. The nausea is a toss up and eased with ginger ale and carbs. The itching responds to 1 Benadryl. 4 weeks is the norm for side effects to subside. Identical to original Prozac."

Kafse June 7, 2015

For Depression "Week 3 on brintellix. I feel so much better than I have felt in years. I'm 31, and have been on 10 or so different anti depressants in the past. Zero side effects. Other anti's seemed to cause huge anxiety. Now with britillex, I can stop taking anti anxiety meds. It's almost as if my brain were a house and brintillex has opened a door to another room I never knew existed."

austryralian (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2015

For Depression "I just came off 112.5mg/day of Effexor which was absolutely HORRIBLE. My doctor has put me on 10mg of Brintellix. I have immediately begun feeling better mentally and emotionally for the first time in months, even while dealing with these withdrawal symptoms. I didn't have high hopes given my past experiences with antidepressants and honestly was about ready to give up on medication all together. I am experiencing some nausea which could be from withdrawing, the Brintellix, or most likely both. Seriously, for how bad I am feeling physically from the Effexor I am absolutely amazed that I can feel this positive mentally. I'll update when the physical symptoms subside."

Chi1313 June 4, 2015

For Depression "I have been on several anxiety/depression medications over the last 30 years and always had some kind of side effect. I would either get an allergic reaction or it would make my anxiety worse. Finally tried Brintellix 10 mg. two months ago, and I feel great, I have had no side effects what so ever. I just feel normal. I rarely take Xanax now and can go to sleep and usually sleep thru the night. I am still taking free samples from my doctor as my Insurance company will not cover. I have sent in an appeal for them to reconsider..my fingers are crossed"

Olee (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2015