User Reviews for Brintellix

Learn more about Brintellix.

Depression 30 reviews 75 medications

6.9
Major Depressive Disorder 9 reviews 44 medications

5.5
Summary of Brintellix reviews 39 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Brintellix

Review by Benicia, CA (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: My initial experience with Brintellix is very promising. I've suffered from treatment resistive depression and Generalized anxiety disorder for many years. Name it, I've been on it. Many medicines flatlined me emotionally, other's amped anxiety and left me sleepless, others were weight sensitive, causing rapid weight gain (hello Remeron); others worked like a charm - until they stopped working. It's been a 25 year struggle. My new Doc put me on Brintellix and within short days I felt more alert and 'content' with no sleeping problems. No side effects on entry dose of 5 mg. I take 2.5 mg Klonopin when required if I have an anxiety peak - other than that I feel like the "Me" I knew was in there.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 17, 2014 1:13 PM

For Depression: This Medication is good. Feel so good that I do not feel the need to eat emotionally. I care about myself again and I feel no need to eat poorly. The only problem I am having is the side effects of being super itchy and I do get constipated.

August 15, 2014 3:18 AM

Review by $%/%:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I have been on 10 mg for 8 weeks. It does help with my depression and panic attacks. But I have gained weight and feel numb towards my feelings. My sex drive is gone. I workout every day, but the weight is still coming. I have never had a problem losing weight, but now I do. The medicine keeps me from feeling the lows, but also from feeling the highs. I can feel that it has slowed metabolism down. I don't no what I sound do, because like I said it has helped.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2014 9:29 PM

Review by AceDoss (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I have been on every antidepressant under the sun. I kind of started to lose really all hope in everything. SSRI or SNRI's had really negative side effects (mostly sexual) or some would give me "brain zaps" or other issues. Wellbutrin didn't really do much for me but force up my dosage of Klonopin I had to take. All around I would say this one is the best one I have tried so far. I have a very noticeable decrease in Anxiety. I have only been on it for a month, the depression is better but still there and I have random episodes of crying which I never had before(embarrassing as a 26 year old man). No sexual side effects, no known side effects so far minus the crying randomly. Will update later.

August 7, 2014 11:06 PM

Review by StevenH86 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: My biggest issue on Brintellix was frequent mood swings. Even at the lowest dose of 5mg, I called my psychiatrist to report that within the first week, my mood would suddenly drop considerably for hours at a time on and off. At 10mg, I became very irritable on this medication in addition to the mood swings. At 20mg, the mood swings became so dramatic my therapist told me that my symptoms reminded him a lot of his patients who have bipolar disorder. I would cry at almost anything for no reason. The only upside of this medication for me was that it indeed did not give me any sexual side effects as advertised.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 7, 2014 2:44 PM

Review by JEM1:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I feel so much better since I started this medicine. I get more done and have much more positive attitude about things.

August 4, 2014 7:39 AM

Review by chendri887:

For Depression: I've been on Brintellix for 4 months now. It is providing a mild antidepressant/anti-anxiety effect, but definitely not robust enough for my lifelong generalized anxiety disorder and depression. I'd give a 3.5/10. It's better for me than Viibryd (the medicine it most closely resembles), but I'm still in a state of deep dysfunction. On the positive side, the side effects have been minimal, the most prominent being some decrease in sexual desire and sexual pleasure. (Not really an issue for me though since my anxiety and depression pretty much have a corner on that non-existent aspect of my life). Also, even with my decent insurance, and Takeda's "discount card," the cost for a month's supply of 30mg a day (the dose I'm taking) is about $300. Not affordable.

July 24, 2014 11:22 PM

Review by story daze:

For Depression: This medication has been a blessing. I have fibromyalgia which has caused major depression. I have taken every kind of medication out there that treats both. Side effects from other medications was too much. My doctor prescribed this although it does not treat fibromyalgia pain like most, it has made my mood much better. I feel much more happier and alive. I have only taken this medication for a month. Unlike most depression medication, I felt a huge difference the first day. Many people talk about the side effects of nausea with this medication... I did not have any. If I did it was not a big enough deal to make me notice. Overall, I think this was the best antidepressant I have ever taken and I have so far had no side effects.

July 20, 2014 2:12 AM

Review by Webwiz (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I took 10 mg for a few days but became very uncomfortably manic. So I started to cut the pill and it ends up that I am taking 20 mg over 3 days. This is the end of the 6th week. I have had chronic clinical depression for 27 years. I am taking this with 225 mg of Buproprion a day and 50 mg of Fluvoximine. I experience no improvement and have had more thoughts of suicide in a long time. I see the doc in two weeks. If it is not noticeable by that time, 8 weeks, out it goes.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 18, 2014 4:12 PM

Review by nursecrybaby:

For Depression: I have only been on this medicine for 1 week. Still on 10mg. Went cold turkey off 30mg of Lexapro. Not seeing a big difference yet in the depression but after going off the high dose of Lexapro I expect to not see a difference in my depression yet. What I wanted to share was that I have itching skin. I just want to scratch and scratch. I'm sure it will go away. I'm hoping to have wonderful news on my next post regarding the depression and hopefully some weight loss too.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 16, 2014 5:23 AM

Review by Girlfriend in a Coma (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I started taking it on Tuesday morning and by that evening started with some nausea. It got worse Wednesday, to the point where I had to leave work. Horrible headache, too. Today (Thursday) the nausea is somewhat better but the headache remains. Called my doc and she said nausea is a huge side effect, unfortunately. It may take up to 2 weeks to fully subside, but to stick with it. Try taking it at night, cutting the dose in half (I'm on 10mg), or taking with food. This is a very new medicine so I hope this helps others in their first couple weeks.

July 3, 2014 11:22 AM

Review by UghNicknameDoesntMatter (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Been on 10 mg for 8 weeks. I could sleep all day and all night, my house is a mess, and I don't care much about anything. It makes me itchy and I've gained weight. I feel like I might as well take nothing. Will be seeing my Dr about switching in a week.

July 2, 2014 6:34 PM

Review by Depressedheart (taken for less than 1 month):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I started on 10mg of Brintellix about two weeks ago after being taken off of Wellbutrin and Celexa. Right away I started to feel physically ill. Horrible headaches, sour stomach, extremely agitated and tired. I don't know if it's withdrawals from the other medicine or effects from starting the Brintellix. I am leaning towards the latter though. I just took my medicine and only an hour later I am feeling very ill again.

July 2, 2014 3:03 AM

Review by Guenda (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: A total turn around! I feel like a new person. It's been a long road. I lost my husband of 36yrs, 3 1/2 yrs ago. I had just been surviving; not living. My dr. gave me samples and explained how this medicine works.

June 11, 2014 5:54 PM

Review by tarad70342 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Week four on Brintellix, 10mg to start...upped to 20mg for 3 weeks now no side effects as of yet. I'm feeling better every day it seems. I feel happy again, less agitation, more energy and motivation. My personal relationships, which were quickly deteriorating are seeming to return to normal! My only wish is that I'd found this medication much sooner. Best wishes to anyone else with this medication! (My insurance is needing a pre-authorization to cover this medication...just a note for others.)

June 3, 2014 10:26 PM

Review by AJF:

For Depression: I'll be trying Brintellix starting tomorrow, so I haven't rated it for "real" for that reason - I had to rate it in order to post this pre-beginning review. I read the other reviews and I'll share my experience with it. Like many others, I've taken other anti-depressants (since diagnosed in 1997), which are the following: Prozac, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Zoloft, & Effexor (I STRONGLY urge everyone to think twice before taking Effexor - it's the only anti-depressant that had major, long-term withdrawals and was ineffective as well). I've also been taking Xanax 3 times a day for 17 years, and it's been a Godsend (not one panic attack since the first day I took it) and has a low impact on the body. I'm interested to see if this is helpful.

May 29, 2014 6:47 PM

Review by Kittykat2014:

For Depression: I'm extremely sensitive to the side effects of these medicines. Remeron is the only one I can tolerate (and it doesn't give me enough relief by itself). Brintellix's side effects reminded me of Pristiq's--falling asleep during the day, not able to sleep at night but it worked on my Interstitial Cystitis and it reduced my appetite, so I'm going to give it a longer trial in the summer when school is out and I'm not working.

May 24, 2014 10:51 PM

Review by tambogal:

For Depression: This has worked the best for me thus far. I have been on several SEVERAL anti-depressants and by far this has been better with very little side effects. Nausea has been the only downside at this point. I missed two days due to my pharmacy being closed and didn't have the "brain zaps" after missing. Big plus in my book.

May 19, 2014 1:54 PM

Review by annie12550 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Wish that I had thought to read this before I took this medication, and this was only DAY 1. Took it with my normal cocktail of medication, however since I do not tolerate new medication very well I am only on the 5mg tablet that is cut in half. Well after about 35mins of taking all my meds I start to feel this warm feeling rise up from my feet. I just make it to the bathroom to barf up contents of my stomach which by the way is not much since all I did was take my meds..... something that I have been doing ffor the past 3years without incident until now. Had I known that a side effect was vomiting, I would have waited and taken that medication by itself or with the Zofran that I have in the cabinet to combat the nausea.

May 18, 2014 3:32 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Was great for my depression, but the side effects outweighed the benefits . I experienced vomiting on a daily basis, involuntary movements, momentary black outs, studdering, and struggling for words when in a conversation. Had to quit taking, symptoms were too much for me. On to the next.

May 3, 2014 9:29 PM

Review by spoookee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Generally speaking, I don't like anti-depressants. I've taken Zoloft, Paxil, Effexor (which was the horrible one for *me*), Lexapro, Prozac...seems like I'm forgetting one. They've never made me feel "better" or "happy," just "numb" and "flat." With Brintellix, I started off at 10mg for 6 weeks. I go for my checkup tomorrow and will be increasing to 20mgs. YES, I DID get nausea in the mornings for a couple of hours after I'd taken it. Taking it with food helped. That is a side effect that, for me anyway, went away within a couple of weeks. I expect the same with increasing to 20mgs, but I think it's worth it in the long run. I actually feel HAPPIER! More energetic, want to do things, etc. Has been miracle so far for me.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 30, 2014 2:57 PM

Review by julia81 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Was placed on this medication 5 days ago in addition to being on 100 mg trazodone for insomnia. First day was amazing, placebo effect I am sure. After the first day my chest started hurting and I was sleepy and sluggish. I normally am at the gym 6 days per week. I have been once and was so weak feeling I couldn't push half the weight I normally do and it cut 20 minutes from my lifting time. The last few days I took myself off the trazodone fearing it was what was causing the problem after reading that the two medicines should not be mixed. It didn't help. I became angry and noticed stiffness in my thighs and neck. I also have been eating everything in sight. This has made me miserable very fast. I start coming off tomorrow.

April 29, 2014 3:18 PM

Review by jewels-z:

For Major Depressive Disorder: Great experience so far. Month three, ramping up to 20 mg a day. Constipation side effect eliminated by 2 fiber capsules a day. No sexual side effects and feeling much more like myself! No weight gain!

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 8, 2014 11:59 AM

Review by MP2014:

For Depression: I've tried so many antidepressants but this one has been the best. I was on 10mg for a month and just had my dosage increased to 20 mg, two days ago. I do feel sick; nausea and a little disoriented but those are bearable side effects to me. I have had energy, better concentration but the biggest thing I love about this antidepressant is that I have my sex drive back. My libido wasn't affected like it has been in the past with other meds; I've actually had increased sex drive. So far I feel "okay" but hopefully since 20mg is the therapeutic dose, that I feel more "content" or "happy" with my life soon.

April 3, 2014 9:09 PM

Review by Cattinni (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I am very medication resistant and was really hoping this medicine would turn it around. Started at 5 mgs and had blinding headaches and stabbing pain in my stomach. Day five, I had a huge panic attack and confusion. Gave me the kind of out of it feeling that I had with Effexor.

April 2, 2014 3:20 PM