User Reviews for Brintellix

Learn more about Brintellix.

Depression 55 reviews 75 medications

6.8
Major Depressive Disorder 28 reviews 44 medications

6.7
Summary of Brintellix reviews 83 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Brintellix

Review by Swan2000 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I have been on Zoloft, Cymbalta, Effexor and they all stopped working at one point. My Dr then prescribed Brintellix. The only thing this medicine did for me was kept me hungry. I could be eating a meal and started to think about my next meal. I had a bad case of dry mouth, my eye sight started to deteriorate and I gained 12 pds in 5 months. I am now off Brintellix and on a different medicine.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 24, 2015 4:07 PM

Review by An Average New Yorker:

For Depression: I took 1/2 of a 5MG tablet - 2.5 MG of this sent me into the abyss. I was suicidal for most of the day just barely holding on. The only thing keeping me from calling family for help was knowing it was the medication and not really me. I just had to wait for it to leave my system.

February 12, 2015 7:38 PM

Review by LadyPeony:

For Depression: I have been taking Brintellix for 4 days, at night, with food, and I am having absolutely no side effects. I feel a little little bit lighter/brighter, even though I know these meds usually take a while to kick in. So far so good.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2015 10:56 PM

Review by Bobcat919:

For Major Depressive Disorder: This medicine is amazing! I was on Viibryd for 2 years and still suffered, but now I feel "normal" and am interested in life once again. I do have nausea and have trouble falling asleep, but those are tolerable; depression is difficult to tolerate.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 1, 2015 12:12 PM

Review by -Jess- (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I am bipolar and have major depression issues and have been on tons of meds, to the point where I have felt like a pin cushion for these meds. Either they make me so tired I can't do nothing or they just don't work. I started taking Brintellix 3 months ago and I am on 10 mg a day. Side effects, whether I took it with food or not I would throw up almost every day ugh.....but on the up side it has made me feel like me again, not miserable and naggy looking at everything in a negative way! The nausea is still there sometimes in the morning but I will take it. So I can cope with everyday issues without freaking out and to be somewhat at peace with myself.

January 26, 2015 7:52 PM

Review by nw girl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: The first week I felt good but then nauseous all day...MIGRAINE and lack of sleep. Expensive too.

January 25, 2015 10:15 PM

Review by jame b. (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I have been on Brintellix for about 3 weeks now. So far I've noticed increased energy, weight loss, nausea, headaches, loss of sleep, nightmares, and some aggression. I have finally found 1 that works and I'm having all these side effects. I started out on the 10mg and still currently taking the 10mg. Maybe I need to be on a lower dose. I also take Ambien 10mg for sleep.

January 8, 2015 9:23 AM

Review by MITX (taken for less than 1 month):

For Major Depressive Disorder: After 1 month on Brintellix I can't wait to get off! I have had constant nausea, mood swings, random itching, and uncontrollable crying that seems to come from nowhere. I did not experience any of these problems on Effexor although it did give me migraines at higher doses.

January 4, 2015 3:13 AM

Review by Drum Weezer:

For Depression: I'm still in the process of acclimating to Brintellix while weaning off of Paxil. However, I must say that my anxiety and depression seems to be much better, and my hunger (caused by Paxil) has reduced. One of the major side effects of Brintellix is nausea. So, instead of starting on a 5 mg dosage. I cut the 5 mg in half and took that for three days since I am very sensitive to medications. Today is my first day on the 5 mg dosage and have not experienced any nausea. The only side effects that I have felt so far is a bit of heartburn/indigestion, mild sleepiness, and mild dizziness, which certainly hasn't kept me from doing my day-to-day routine. People should at least give this medicine a chance.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 2, 2015 6:55 PM

Review by stoppedhopelessness. (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: Day 4. I have already noticed changes. Pros: - no desire to cry - clear headed thought process - no mood swings/feel balanced(have not had any mood swings since day 2. I usually had them like 4x within an hr) - no angry outbursts or negative/hurtful comments towards people - decrease in paranoia - no longer feeling personally attacked by others Cons: - trouble sleeping - teensy bit jittery - itchy(not much) - definitely nauseous - trouble passing stool but not constipated - slight lightheadedness/ dizziness This is only day4 going on 5 so i am thinking my brain&body need time to adjust &balance out. So far i feel mentally, so much better. In control,i would say. Only odd thing i noticed was random laughing. But hey I'm not complaining!

December 29, 2014 6:10 AM

Review by Gio187:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I was admitted into a clinic & was monitored for 3 weeks. After the 2nd day I started feeling a change & after 4 weeks it's still good. Energy levels are up, thinking positively & coping with society & life again. Only downfall for me is trouble sleeping. Two thumbs up!

December 16, 2014 9:08 PM

Review by j bro:

For Depression: It worked for about a month. 10 mg, then seemed all of a sudden stopped working.

December 16, 2014 8:28 PM

Review by Aprilk83:

For Depression: I've been taking 10mg for 4 days now (today will be day 5) and I'm wondering if I can make it a full week like my doctor wants me to. The side effects have been horrible for me. I've been walking around like a nauseous zombie since day 1. Then there's the dizziness and headache that goes along with it. The only benefit I've experienced so far is weight loss, but that's not at all why I started taking this medication. Instead of the anxiety and depression I would normally feel, I feel no emotions.

December 16, 2014 7:05 PM

Review by Rozziemarie:

For Depression: Had headaches, constipation, high blood pressure, and night terrors, dizziness.

December 12, 2014 9:51 AM

Review by StephanieAlice (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I had no ill side effects with this medication. But, my doctor gave me samples, and when the samples were gone, my insurance wouldn't pay for the medication. I came off of it even though it worked because of the cost.

December 7, 2014 5:14 PM

Review by Tammy L (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I've had the side effects of nausea, diarrhea and low sex drive. Even so, it has helped improve my mood and reduced my anxiety. The side effects have decreased in the past few weeks but at first were bothersome. Largest complaint is the copay! Our cost is $122 after insurance! Outrageous. I probably wont be able to afford it for long. Sad because I finally found something that was working.

November 29, 2014 11:37 AM

Review by Tammy L (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I have had great results from this medication for my depression and also my anxiety. I did not experience the "dumbing" down that I have felt with other antidepressants. My focus is good and I've not had memory problems. One side effect I've noticed is lack of motivation / procrastination. It may sound odd but being a full time college student, I've never put things off till the last minute like I have been doing since starting this medicine. Other side effects I've had are gas and bloating, diarrhea, nausea. These have lessened over the past 8 weeks. All in all I'm very pleased with the results. Insurance: I'm not sure how much our co-pay will be for this, as I've been using samples given to me by my physician.

November 23, 2014 10:51 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: Have anxiety and depression and have been on medicines for 20 years. Have taken Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Lexapro. Just switched 3 weeks ago from Prozac/Wellbutrin to Brintellix with Wellbutrin. Feel fantastic - much better mood, clear head, no anxiety. No side effects at all. Taking 10mg.

143 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 22, 2014 4:31 PM

Review by Jus10 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: This medication is absolutely amazing. I've tried Prozac, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, Viibryd, Paxil and Cymbalta over the course of ten years. Brintellix was the first medication that didn't give the unpleasant "disconnected/sedated" side effects of other SSRI'S. As a male, the sexual side effects a minute. I began on 5mg for two weeks and achieved a therapeutic dose of 10mg once a day. I have my life back and it also helps with obsessive compulsive disoder symptoms. I suggest taking right before bed, as it can make you a little drowsy.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 20, 2014 1:44 PM

Review by MrAnxiousHands:

For Major Depressive Disorder: Was prescribed Brintellix after being on Effexor for years and years, and it stopped doing it's job. Started at the 5mg dose for 2 weeks, then to 10, and then to 20. The first week I had more energy and a very euphoric mood. I also became kind of impulsive and jittery (is installing broomstick holders in the utility room at 2:00am normal?). At 10mg my anxiety started increasing, and at 20mg my anxiety was almost debilitating. Talked to my doctor and she is switching me to something else. I'm sure it's a great med, but just not for me unfortunately

November 19, 2014 5:18 PM

Review by prox85 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I've been on Brintellix for just over 2 months and it's helped my depression tremendously. I've been on several SSRIs and this is far and away the best one I've tried. It kicked in a little faster and the lack of side effects is remarkable. (I was irritable when I increased my dose from 5mg to 10mg, but it subsided after a month and I took Klonopin as needed to help. I also noticed some mild scalp tingling which another person mentioned.) No sexual side effects, no weight gain, no TMJ, no night sweats! I'd recommended titrating up SLOWLY if you have anxiety/irritability (cut those annoying egg-shaped pills in half) and taking it with a meal to prevent nausea.

November 18, 2014 2:42 PM

Review by francine5:

For Depression: My doctor gave me 5mg samples to take for 1 week, then 10mg. The first two nights I had trouble sleeping, also taking trazodone 100mg for sleep. Today I took my Vyvanse 40 mg, and the Brintellix, I already feel somewhat better. No side effects, but sleep. I really think this medicine can help me for the depression I've had.

November 15, 2014 6:12 PM

Review by Jane1245 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I've suffered from moderately severe episodes of depression and chronic anxiety for years. I have tried everything from Prozac to Cymbalta to Paxil to Remeron to Abilify. Side effects ranged from bad to intolerable. Headaches, weight gain, cognitive dulling. I almost gave up hope that anything would help. This medication has provided a lot of relief. My depression seemingly vanished. My anxiety is still there but seems a little better. Everyone's body reacts differently, but if you feel like you've tried every other SSRI starting a low dose of this might really help. It could be the placebo effect for all I know, but somehow I don't think so because of the lack of success with past meds. I'm on 5mg only. (I take it with low dose benzos).

November 13, 2014 12:12 PM

Review by BRiTT!:

For Depression: Started medication three days ago. So far my energy level has gone up, I feel happier and more positive. I have experienced itchy skin.. hoping that side effect subsides.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 11, 2014 8:33 AM

For Depression: After 4 months I thought I was doing quite well on 10mg Brintellix until I had very bad headaches. MRI imaging demonstrated I had constricted blood vessels in my brain a second test showed it had reversed itself. My neurologist strongly advised I discontinue this med because SSRI antidepressants can trigger Reversible Vasoconstriction Syndrome which can cause strokes and brain bleeds. I started Wellbutrin XL 150mg which doesn't target serotoin I'm told. I'm not doing as well and sometimes think about taking a chance and restarting Brintellix and at least have a better quality of life! Depression sucks!

November 5, 2014 11:48 PM