User Reviews for Brintellix

Learn more about Brintellix.

Depression 36 reviews 75 medications

6.8
Major Depressive Disorder 16 reviews 44 medications

6.6
Summary of Brintellix reviews 52 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Brintellix

Review by capital J:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I've been taking it for couple weeks now. No side effects. I'm a lot happier. I like it better than Zoloft.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 12, 2014 1:24 PM

Review by Hopeful1977 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I'm on my 3rd day. My mood seems to have mellowed out a bit. I'm not as moody as I normally am. I don't have the itchy skin but I have been experiencing a bit of nausea. This is my first time being on antidepressants and I really hope this gets me out of the funk I've been in the last 6 months. I got a 3 week sample supply and haven't submitted my prescription yet to see if insurance will cover what my physician describes it as "the designer antidepressant".

October 10, 2014 9:48 AM

Review by Ken in MN:

For Depression: I started with 5mg then went to 10mg. I thought it was a great improvement. However, I started getting severe nausea that didn't go away after a month. I had to stop taking it, but I'm still having the nausea 3 weeks later.

October 7, 2014 1:44 PM

Review by Nikki S (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: In the beginning I only had a problem with itching, I kept thinking my body would get used to it & it would stop. It didn't, it only got worse. I wasn't experiencing any other severe issues, so I had planned to stay on it, but on Day 7, I noticed that I was having trouble finding my words, my vocabulary was impaired & there was almost a stutter present. On Day 8 I became very nauseous & decided that would be my last day. The side effects were just too much to wait it out. Day 9, no med, my husband told me that I seemed much more relaxed and "involved". I cannot wait for this itching to go completely away! I did seem to have a little more positive attitude & motivation but the side effects were too much!

October 5, 2014 7:34 PM

Review by TeeDePl:

For Major Depressive Disorder: So far so good. The only side effect so far has been many things now have an ammonia smell to them.

October 4, 2014 1:06 PM

Review by bray24 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: Been taking this medicine for two weeks. I noticed I'm really itchy, my stomach is so sick, headaches, and I'm very tired. I hope it gets better.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 28, 2014 10:01 PM

Review by Was Depressed (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I had been diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder and have been treated with medicines that at that time were the best. Venlafaxine being the latest. However the effects were decreasing over time. 12 years and has so many side effects. Now I am on Brintellix 20mg daily...wow there is life. My mood is elevated, my outlook and self esteem and confidence has returned to normal. My energy level has skyrocketed. My sleep is more restful. Negative thoughts are diminished. Day to day living is now controllable. Clear thought process not drugged feeling. A very content person. Focus on the enabling versus the negativity. Started on 10mg daily increased to 20mg after 3 weeks and a slow reduction in my venlafaxine. One side effect is nausea I noted but a dry snack helps

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2014 12:39 PM

Review by brendaboo67 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I have been pretty medicine resistant to most medications, the best medication for me was Zoloft until it lost its effectiveness on me. I have been on Brintellix for about a month now, was upped to 20mgs last week, and it is just amazing for me. I feel a sense of happiness and hope that I haven't felt in a long time, I really didn't see as much improvement until the medication was upped to 20 mgs, then so far it has been awesome, I have had no side effects other than the first few days I was a little antsy and lightheaded.

September 16, 2014 5:36 PM

Review by Omega Man (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I've been on new medicine Brintellix for 12 weeks now. I have Manic Disorder, so I have been on every medicine you can imagine since 8th grade. It's sad, I'm 22yrs & still breakdown in public. It was difficult for me at first since my depression left me motionless & incapable to think or feel. I was given 10mg a day but took 20mg, I know I wasn't supposed to do without telling my Dr. (4 Day) able to move & think somewhat. (6 day) move & critical think. I'm not saying this medicine is magic but at least I can function. Kind of in-between with no real highs or lows emotion. Notice I get serious nausea to the point of vomit on 10 day haven't gone away. I also take Prozac and Zyprexa. Don't think I'll ever be normal but as long as I'm not suicidal it will get be better.

September 11, 2014 12:17 AM

Review by Brint:

For Depression: I have be taking Brintellix 10 mg for 10 days. I am itching like crazy, legs are very swollen, actually I think my whole body is swollen. Not sure if I should decrease to 5 mgs. Trouble staying asleep, waking up at 4am with bad headaches. Being treated for anxiety/panic attacks and depression, I have had for 35 yrs...Was on Lexapro and Bupropion for many years now...but I've always felt flat...no panic attacks... but also no other emotions. I hope I can continue to take this and these side effects go away! Good Luck to all who read!

September 9, 2014 8:34 PM

Review by DolphinGirl (taken for less than 1 month):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Itchy beyond belief!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 8, 2014 8:43 PM

Review by Mermaid Red (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I've been on Brintellix for 10 weeks and notice an appreciable benefit in my mood, but the side effect serious weight gain (approx 12 lbs in that time) and serious nausea & headache about 30 minutes after taking my 20mg tab, no matter when I take it during the day or with how much food. (Noticed best with my biggest meal) While my mood is definitely better (no more suicidal thinking or attempts) I still don't feel like my old self. Kind of a medium with no real highs or lows. I can smile, laugh and cry, but just don't feel like me. Obviously, this is soooo much better than being suicidal, but I'd really like to find a better fix, especially because of the weight gain. Other minor side effects are mild & occasional all over body itchiness.

August 28, 2014 5:50 PM

Review by Benicia, CA (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: My initial experience with Brintellix is very promising. I've suffered from treatment resistive depression and Generalized anxiety disorder for many years. Name it, I've been on it. Many medicines flatlined me emotionally, other's amped anxiety and left me sleepless, others were weight sensitive, causing rapid weight gain (hello Remeron); others worked like a charm - until they stopped working. It's been a 25 year struggle. My new Doc put me on Brintellix and within short days I felt more alert and 'content' with no sleeping problems. No side effects on entry dose of 5 mg. I take 2.5 mg Klonopin when required if I have an anxiety peak - other than that I feel like the "Me" I knew was in there.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 17, 2014 1:13 PM

For Depression: This Medication is good. Feel so good that I do not feel the need to eat emotionally. I care about myself again and I feel no need to eat poorly. The only problem I am having is the side effects of being super itchy and I do get constipated.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 15, 2014 3:18 AM

Review by $%/%:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I have been on 10 mg for 8 weeks. It does help with my depression and panic attacks. But I have gained weight and feel numb towards my feelings. My sex drive is gone. I workout every day, but the weight is still coming. I have never had a problem losing weight, but now I do. The medicine keeps me from feeling the lows, but also from feeling the highs. I can feel that it has slowed metabolism down. I don't no what I sound do, because like I said it has helped.

August 14, 2014 9:29 PM

Review by AceDoss (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I have been on every antidepressant under the sun. I kind of started to lose really all hope in everything. SSRI or SNRI's had really negative side effects (mostly sexual) or some would give me "brain zaps" or other issues. Wellbutrin didn't really do much for me but force up my dosage of Klonopin I had to take. All around I would say this one is the best one I have tried so far. I have a very noticeable decrease in Anxiety. I have only been on it for a month, the depression is better but still there and I have random episodes of crying which I never had before(embarrassing as a 26 year old man). No sexual side effects, no known side effects so far minus the crying randomly. Will update later.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 7, 2014 11:06 PM

Review by StevenH86 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: My biggest issue on Brintellix was frequent mood swings. Even at the lowest dose of 5mg, I called my psychiatrist to report that within the first week, my mood would suddenly drop considerably for hours at a time on and off. At 10mg, I became very irritable on this medication in addition to the mood swings. At 20mg, the mood swings became so dramatic my therapist told me that my symptoms reminded him a lot of his patients who have bipolar disorder. I would cry at almost anything for no reason. The only upside of this medication for me was that it indeed did not give me any sexual side effects as advertised.

August 7, 2014 2:44 PM

Review by JEM1:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I feel so much better since I started this medicine. I get more done and have much more positive attitude about things.

August 4, 2014 7:39 AM

Review by chendri887:

For Depression: I've been on Brintellix for 4 months now. It is providing a mild antidepressant/anti-anxiety effect, but definitely not robust enough for my lifelong generalized anxiety disorder and depression. I'd give a 3.5/10. It's better for me than Viibryd (the medicine it most closely resembles), but I'm still in a state of deep dysfunction. On the positive side, the side effects have been minimal, the most prominent being some decrease in sexual desire and sexual pleasure. (Not really an issue for me though since my anxiety and depression pretty much have a corner on that non-existent aspect of my life). Also, even with my decent insurance, and Takeda's "discount card," the cost for a month's supply of 30mg a day (the dose I'm taking) is about $300. Not affordable.

July 24, 2014 11:22 PM

Review by story daze:

For Depression: This medication has been a blessing. I have fibromyalgia which has caused major depression. I have taken every kind of medication out there that treats both. Side effects from other medications was too much. My doctor prescribed this although it does not treat fibromyalgia pain like most, it has made my mood much better. I feel much more happier and alive. I have only taken this medication for a month. Unlike most depression medication, I felt a huge difference the first day. Many people talk about the side effects of nausea with this medication... I did not have any. If I did it was not a big enough deal to make me notice. Overall, I think this was the best antidepressant I have ever taken and I have so far had no side effects.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 20, 2014 2:12 AM

Review by Webwiz (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I took 10 mg for a few days but became very uncomfortably manic. So I started to cut the pill and it ends up that I am taking 20 mg over 3 days. This is the end of the 6th week. I have had chronic clinical depression for 27 years. I am taking this with 225 mg of Buproprion a day and 50 mg of Fluvoximine. I experience no improvement and have had more thoughts of suicide in a long time. I see the doc in two weeks. If it is not noticeable by that time, 8 weeks, out it goes.

July 18, 2014 4:12 PM

Review by nursecrybaby:

For Depression: I have only been on this medicine for 1 week. Still on 10mg. Went cold turkey off 30mg of Lexapro. Not seeing a big difference yet in the depression but after going off the high dose of Lexapro I expect to not see a difference in my depression yet. What I wanted to share was that I have itching skin. I just want to scratch and scratch. I'm sure it will go away. I'm hoping to have wonderful news on my next post regarding the depression and hopefully some weight loss too.

July 16, 2014 5:23 AM

Review by Girlfriend in a Coma (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I started taking it on Tuesday morning and by that evening started with some nausea. It got worse Wednesday, to the point where I had to leave work. Horrible headache, too. Today (Thursday) the nausea is somewhat better but the headache remains. Called my doc and she said nausea is a huge side effect, unfortunately. It may take up to 2 weeks to fully subside, but to stick with it. Try taking it at night, cutting the dose in half (I'm on 10mg), or taking with food. This is a very new medicine so I hope this helps others in their first couple weeks.

July 3, 2014 11:22 AM

Review by UghNicknameDoesntMatter (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Been on 10 mg for 8 weeks. I could sleep all day and all night, my house is a mess, and I don't care much about anything. It makes me itchy and I've gained weight. I feel like I might as well take nothing. Will be seeing my Dr about switching in a week.

July 2, 2014 6:34 PM

Review by Depressedheart (taken for less than 1 month):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I started on 10mg of Brintellix about two weeks ago after being taken off of Wellbutrin and Celexa. Right away I started to feel physically ill. Horrible headaches, sour stomach, extremely agitated and tired. I don't know if it's withdrawals from the other medicine or effects from starting the Brintellix. I am leaning towards the latter though. I just took my medicine and only an hour later I am feeling very ill again.

July 2, 2014 3:03 AM