User Reviews for Chantix

Learn more about Chantix.

Chantix review summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Chantix to treat Smoking Cessation

Review by Guyb (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I never once in forty years even tried to quit smoking. I recently had a c5 c6 c7 neck fusion. The bones have not healed due to my smoking. My dr advised me to try Chantix. So I took my start week pills. On the eighth day threw them out. I'm one month smoke free. Which I think is a miracle. No side effects at all. I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants to quit.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 13, 2014 8:51 AM

Review by WRSJR (taken for 1 to 6 months):

After 47 years of smoking, I quit, with the aid of Chantix, on December 1st, 2013. It is now seven months that I have been smoke free and I honestly do not miss it. In the past, I tried pills, gum, e-cigarettes, patches, hypnotism....all without success. I am truly amazed by this product and thankful that it was recommended to me.

June 29, 2014 8:16 PM

Review by misty conner (taken for less than 1 month):

I did Chantix before and I quit for about 3 months found out I had a tumor and started smoking again. Well I took my first Chantix pill again, I am a back to back smoker and I smoked 2 cigs in a row and got nauseous than I went out smoked 2 more and made me nauseous and than I threw up yep I'm done no more smoking for me.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 29, 2014 6:36 AM

Review by JR1900 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I began smoking at the tender age of 16. As I got older I smoked about 5 cigarettes per day. I had a routine and smoking was a good part of that routine. It also was my go to when I felt stressed, when I felt upset or if I was in a social setting. I stopped each time I was pregnant but went back after having the baby. I knew I needed to stop but I didn't want to. I liked it. It was when I started to think about my kids being without me that I decided that I needed to be here and healthy for them. I tried to quit 4-5 times before each time not following through, this time I was determined. Chantix helped me quit, its awesome.

June 21, 2014 5:41 PM

Review by janmn (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Chantix worked great for trying to quit smoking, up until the time you stop taking it. That's when I really noticed the depression. That was 3 years ago. Since than I started smoking and have attempted to quit again using chantix, now the depression and suicidal thoughts start after about day 3. I have done this trial about 5 times because I thought maybe the depression came because I was already depressed and it just intensified it, but after 5 times I am 100% convinced it's the medicine. Please be careful when taking this medication. Have someone you trust keep a watchful eye on your moods, sometimes your mood will change gradually and may not be evident the toll the medicine is taking. Watch for sadness, isolation, anger/rage suicide

May 27, 2014 3:14 PM

Review by deniseschulet (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I quit with Chantix in December and have not picked up since. I have thought about it, but then I smell smoke and I want to throw up. I smoked for almost 40 years.

May 23, 2014 10:39 AM

Review by james talley:

After 38 years of smoking a pack and a half, I tried Chantix. Now it has been 2 months without a cigarette, I am very happy.

May 20, 2014 2:14 AM

Review by lwood84 (taken for less than 1 month):

I have tried to quit many times and nothing worked. I have been on Chantix for 15 days and today is day 3 that I have not smoked. I smoked anywhere from a 1/2 to a pack a day and I am 29 years old and I have smoked since I was 15. It doesn't even make me want one and I cant believe that before 2 weeks of taking Chantix I have quit. My sister even quit using Chantix and she has been a non- smoker for a couple of years now! YOU CAN DO IT USING CHANTIX!!!!

May 16, 2014 1:31 PM

Review by dmileslangosta (taken for less than 1 month):

I will be 47 in two weeks and have been smoking since I was 14, that's THIRTY-THREE years. I was up to a pack and a half a day. I was super skeptical and a bit leery after reading the bad experiences some people had when using Chantix. I experienced no side effects other than feeling SLIGHTLY nauseated one morning because I had not eaten anything before I took it. I LOST CRAVINGS, no desire for the morning smoke before and with coffee from the second day and the 'cheat week' was much more than I needed. Those two drags off a cigarette I would take every now and then were pretty nasty and I would brush my teeth immediately. It was far easier to quit than I ever imagined. JUST DO IT!

May 8, 2014 10:51 AM

Review by TRACYGiRL:

I started Chantix on 4-17-2014 and since 4-27-14 I have not smoked a cigarette in 5 whole days! Not even a drag. I feel like I have no desire to smoke but there are times where I do crave one and think to myself, I went this long without one or a drag so why ruin it, then I forget about it. I do miss smoking but its better for the long run. I am about to turn 27 and have been smoking for 15yrs. I did experience some constipation and a few times felt nauseous but as long as you eat before and definitely drink as much water as you can. I was hesitant on taking this medication because of the side effects, especially the dreams. I have not had any terrible dreams, I have been dreaming more but I enjoy them, they are very vivid. I recommend Chantix.

May 1, 2014 7:25 PM

Review by Dften (taken for 1 to 6 months):

There is no doubt in my mind that Chantix made it possible for me to stop smoking. I personally did not suffer any significant side effects. I will say that while the medication reduced the physical cravings almost completely, the emotional aspect of not smoking still existed. There were times I didn't feel life was worth living without smoking because I missed it that much but it was emotional craving. Because of this I still needed 150 percent commitment to quitting.

April 28, 2014 12:07 PM

Review by repeatuser (taken for less than 1 month):

This is my 3rd time taking Chantix. The 1st time I took it for 3 months and quit smoking for 3.5yrs. I experienced the dreams but no other side effects. The 2nd time I took it for 1 month & quit smoking for 6 months. I still had the dreams but had nausea also. This time I've been on it for 4 wks, smoke free for 3wks. I'm having the dreams and had nausea for only the 2&3wk, but in the 2wk I started experiencing more side effects. I started feeling tired lazy bummed and in a bit of a depressive state. In the 3wk I became paranoid and obsessive with racing thoughts. Its hard to focus and now in the 4th wk I question if I'm hallucinating or dreaming. No thoughts of suicide. I quit taking it today & hope to stay smoke free.

April 27, 2014 6:24 PM

Review by SeanS (taken for less than 1 month):

Okay, so I've decided to share my experience. I have been on Chantix now for this would be start of day 4. It is irritating, I have been smoking but I'm not getting the effect I normally would. The smoke feels different, tastes different, and I'm starting to feel like they are a waste of time or that I just don't want one once I start one.

April 14, 2014 10:12 AM

Review by Lynn76:

I have smoked for five years and have tried to quit three times and nothing worked. I have a new grandbaby and decided to the leap and ask for Chantix, I am on day 5 and everytime I try to smoke they taste nasty. I have no side effects. I eat then take it with a full glass of water. This is the best and I am so happy to break the chains of this addiction.

April 13, 2014 6:51 PM

Review by SRX440:

I had used chewing tobacco for 30 years and wanted to quit, my Doctor prescribed Chantix, one thing he told me to do was to take the second daily dose in the afternoon rather than in the evening to help prevent strange dreams and I never did have any. Make sure you eat something before taking to prevent upset stomach. Chantix did make me feel paranoid and nervous and I did worry more than normal and I couldn't drink while on it, I had one drink after I had started it and the next day I had the worst hangover I had ever had, actually I haven't drank now since I quit Chantix since I no longer have a desire to do so. All in all I feel it is very effective.

April 13, 2014 5:56 AM

Review by Jen T- RN:

I started Chantix about two months ago and I can't say enough about how absolutely amazing this medication has worked for me. I could feel a difference by day two and I have been completely smoke free since week one. I have about a month left in my prescription and I continue to take it. I have refills for the year if I feel I need it but I have no desire whatsoever to smoke and I just want to say thank you to the medicine for hopefully saving my life. I'm a 42 year old RN and I have been smoking 5 years. Not real long but long enough. I had a crazy dream night one and nothing since- no side effects at all. I was nervous to start the medicine due to the stories we have all heard but I figured the benefit outweighed the risk. Good decision.

April 11, 2014 12:31 PM

Review by Jowl it (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'm 43yrs old been smoking since I'm 16, 2 packs a day for probably the last 10, menthol nonetheless. Took Chantix for 12 weeks before my quit day, that's how bad I am as a smoker and now I'm on day 11 without a puff and no cravings! My mental state is ecstatic knowing I don't smoke and better physically every day. Thank you Chantix!

April 10, 2014 6:48 PM

Review by aaronbriscoe (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I really am that guy who has a VERY strong addictive personality. I try something... BOOM... I am addicted. I was a 2-3 pack a day smoker and honestly thought i would never quit after 18 years of smoking. Then I decided to drop take Chantix and BAM! I was smoke free after one week. I am now 6 months free from the chains of those little cancer sticks.

March 29, 2014 4:41 PM

Review by MOMof3inOC:

I have smoked for over 20 years. I took Chantix and smoked for the first 3 weeks. I did however notice after the 7th day that cigarettes were not as enjoyable. I stopped on the 3rd week because I was bored with smoking. I am now just 6 days smoke free but feel amazing! I smell good, I can breathe better and have saved enough to buy some nice perfume which I can still smell on me at the end of the day. My smokers cough is even going away. I am having the strange dreams but that is the only side effect. Chantix makes it so easy. I am going to continue to take it a few more weeks to be sure this monkey is off my back and I plan to stay smoke free forever. Thank you Chantix- Update- 3/25/14 - 2 weeks smoke free and the urge is gone!

March 25, 2014 12:13 PM

Review by slimboss07 (taken for less than 1 month):

I don't feel the need to smoke but feel withdrawals from the lack of cigarettes. A bit irritable, no bad dream's or anything like that. I am on my 11th day and for the last 2 days I have had 3 cigarettes total. Sometimes I feel an urge to do something or like there is something I have to do. Feel a bit confused at times. I have not taken my second dose of the day. I only take the second dose if I felt the urge to smoke which now I don't feel.

March 24, 2014 8:28 PM

Review by ex smoker after 52 years:

Born again that's how I feel 3 weeks smoke free and I get stronger every day. Can't believe how much better I feel thanks to chantix I'm so happy. I never thought I could quit no matter what but I was wrong and I know i'll never go back. I'm free and like I said I feel so good.

March 17, 2014 5:08 PM

Review by Enjoying life:

I had tried many times many promises all to no avail. Now I get to enjoy my grand kids. Had I not quit smoking there is no doubt I would not be with them it's been 5 yrs now thanks Chantix.

March 16, 2014 11:01 PM

Review by steph42 (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm on day 8 of Chantix and I've had really no side effects. I am having dreams which I usually don't. I've been smoking in and of since 15 and now 42. I've quit many times in my own sometimes for 3 years and always go back. I'm really determined this time and I feel like the Chantix is working because I don't feel like smoking at all. I did smoke one today. Today is my quit day and I did smoke the first 7 days. Normally I'm half pack a day smoker. I think it's worth trying. I feel like its going to work for me.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2014 9:15 PM

Review by CEL5 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was very motivated to stop smoking back in 2012. I got a prescription for it May 12, 2012 and filled it. However, I did not take it! It expired on December of 2013; therefore, I didn't want to throw away the $176.28 I spent (cash) on it, so I decided to start taking it at the end of December. Well, it expired and I finally started taking it on on the 7th of February. I figured it was barely expired, so it wouldn't hurt. At this point, I was NOT motivated to quit at all. I just didn't want to waste the money that was spent on it. I haven't smoked for 26 days! I'm on the continuing pack now and NOW my insurance covers it. MD wants me on it for 6 months. Anyone can quit with Chantix! It's nothing like quitting cold turkey.

March 13, 2014 1:23 AM

Review by Ladyhawk60:

I was in a quit smoking class when we got to the day of 'ok' today is the day what do each of you want to use to 'help' you succeed I'd done my homework and asked for Chantix I followed the directions to the letter chose a day counted back to make the 'week' and began.. That was Oct 9th 2013. Today is March 12th, 2014 I have one week left of Chantix and will be done... I have slipped a time or two and laughingly tried I said laughingly because one puff and I was going yuck, and never made it past that puff, 154 days smoke free except for a couple puffs I don't intend to beat myself up for. I've had no side effects just the ability without going crazy to quit a 42 yr habit. Thanks Chantix for making it an easier journey.

March 12, 2014 10:51 AM