User Reviews for Chantix

Learn more about Chantix.

Chantix Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Chantix to treat Smoking Cessation

"I could never seem to give it up on my own. I took chantix, not thinking it would even work, and quit but then started 6 months later "

Monkeyface969 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2016

"First off everybody will not experience the same side effects from using Chantix. As for me I'm glad I decided to take it. I noticed the medication started working about day 8. Cigarettes made me slightly nauseated. They slowly became less satisfying and desirable. The urges by then to smoke were minimal and withdrawals were none from the start. I did have some nausea in the beginning after taking the pill that went away after a few minutes. Other than that no noticeable side effects. I'm just now starting week 4. The urge to smoke now is completely gone. I don't feel like I ever want to smoke again."

1TDub May 24, 2016

"I was prescribed chantix by my Dr.when I wanted to quit smoking.I've been smoking for yrs.To make a long story short,all was going fine for the first 2.5 weeks&then I woke up one day&had severe allergic reaction.I had welts all over my body,from head to toes.I called my Dr.&got into see her that same day&She gave me a shot in her office&a prescription for the itching.After taking one of the pills&a cool shower,I laid down to rest.After about 30 minutes of laying down,I sat up&the itching was still severe,but I couldn't catch my breath&my voice was barely there.My bf wanted to call 911,but being stubborn I agreed to driving me to hospital,where they gave me IV benadryl&the welts got better.Worst experience ever.Be VERY careful with this med."

biddles1 (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2016

"I was a 3 pack a day smoker for over 20 years. I smoked cigarettes since I was a teenager. Chantix saved my life. I tried to quit smoking so.many times but couldn't. I had the most awesome dreams on Chantix but I had no cravings after the first week. Thank for creating chantix."

J.Jenkins (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2016

"4years quit, after 30 years smoking. I really didn't even want to quit, but took it on my physician's advice. Smoked while taking it for 7 days (day #4 I could tell it was working good). Quit and took for 7 more days & never had an urge. I could be right next to someone smoking, after I ate, while drinking & not ever feel the urge to return. No side effects, except maybe slight nausea first two days."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

"May 8th is a special day for me it is the day I used Chantix and stopped smoking that was 5 years ago and I'm still smoke free May 8th is also my Birthday. I tried for years to stop smoking and only Chantix worked for me thank you very much for such a great product."

Bill Bowen May 13, 2016

"Here's the thing... most of these reviews are from users that have used Chantix and quit in the past month... that's NOT quitting. That's medicated cessation. I've been a smoker for 35 years... On my 10th week of Chantix and while Chantix worked WONDERFULLY the first 4-5 weeks.. it's not working great now. In the beginning, Chantix make smoking unsavory. Not only did I not WANT to smoke, but I found the entire thing unpleasant. This was fantastic. However, going on week 10 now... I want to smoke and Chantix is doing very little to stop that. Realize Chantix TRUE success rate is only roughly 15%. It's NOT a "miracle" drug."

Pope2222222 May 9, 2016

"People, please do not use chantix. Do not use. This is deadly medicine. You can go to cemetery in about 10-15 years if you continue smoke. But using Chantix, you can go tomorrow. Good luck. I do have very bad experience. My girlfriend used this pills did suicide. She was only 43. 4 month later I did cruise from LA to Vancouver for 5 days. I was taking chantex with my girlfriend before. But when she died I stopped it."

Bit. May 5, 2016

"I'm on day 2 this drug is amazing a little nauseous but worth it"

Cindyfrom indiana May 4, 2016

"Second time on Chantix after 3 yrs smoke free. This drug is literally a life saver, completely makes smoking seem disgusting, after a few days. Cravings disappear, and when you think your gonna enjoy one of your last... you put in out in mortification, due to the gross smell, and horrid taste. The nausea is a killer, along with an overall unpleasant feeling, and crankiness that lasts duration of Chantix use. The dreams are super vivid, borderline nightmares, but bearable. If these short term effects are what I have to endure for deciding to pick up a nasty habit, for the second time!!! So be it. Living to make sure there a lighter in the car... is not living. And it only takes me the starter pack to quit- 2 pack a weeker."

take it outside May 2, 2016

"Drug is o.k., does it job, only if patient is more than willing to quite smoking! Pricey! I think more people would use this product if it was not so expensive. No side effects that I knew of."

LaurieHS April 27, 2016

"First off, I quit! I am on day 11 so not 100% self assured it will last but I am 3 days smoke free. I have no cravings to smoke but the habit is still there so If I am around triggers I do tend to want to go for a smoke. I did try one today. I put it out. Made me sick feeling and tasted gross. Didn't even inhale fully. So it is working. Side effect: The nausea is INTENSE!!! Maybe if you eat properly it will be less for you, I don't know. Sleep is horrid. I sleep at max 90minutes at any given time. Most often I sleep in spurts of 30-60minutes. As such I am quite tired. I am on Topamax as well so carbonated drinks like pop are off the table to help me with me day so I feel drugged all day. Odd and rather vivid dreams. Not bad, just odd."

ChrisK1369 (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2016

"I have been a smoker for 45 years. I have quit 4-5 times in my life, never lasting more than one year and often sneaking one or two or more during the time I was quit (though a real quit is NOT ONE PUFF EVER). This time, I cut down my smoking for one week on Chantix from one pack a day to up to 5 cigarettes a day... I would try different things during this time....like driving around in car without any cigarettes in it, not smoking after a meal....etc. It helped me recognize my TRIGGERS which were just about everything. At one week on Chantix I quit. I have only been taking it for 3 weeks, but, I can only call it my miracle drug.....as I remain smoke free and the withdrawals LESS than any prior quit."

Mimisayhi (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

"I am 70 years old and smoked for more than 50 years. Taking chantix helped me to quit. I never thought in a million years that I could quit, my family and I thank you !!!!"

Didibluffs April 24, 2016

"I was nervous to start taking chantix because of the cautions of having Bipolar Depression and ADHD. I am currently taking Lamitcal and Ritalin daily, so I had my concerns, but I figured being smoke free was worth the chance of spiraling mood swings. I had an appointment with my psychiatrist and ask him versus my general doctor to make sure he was ok with it and he thought it was worth the shot. It hasn't been long, but I am happy to say I haven't had a smoke in 2 weeks. I tried once with a coworker, but took 2 drags and lost all desire to continue. Granted I have only been smoking for 5 years, but it was my solace with work. Barely any side effects and I think my bipolar meds helped control some of that."

Kimi43 (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2016

"Nobody mentions how much money they now have in their wallet because they don't have to spend anymore on butts! You're free!"

Ivygreen April 18, 2016

"Chantix is a miracle. It's the best thing to help with quitting smoking. The first week is tough and I had some muscle aches that eventually went away. The dreams are very lucid and real but not bothersome. Some are actually enjoyable. It's a shame my insurance doesn't pay for the medication because it costs $350.00 but it's worth it."

Kristi D April 17, 2016

"So the good bad and ugly! The ugly it gave me a horrible headache the first day... The bad it gave me nasuea one day to the point I couldn't get out of bed.... The good after the 8th day I stopped smoking I told myself I would quit April 15th which I though was just a dream "

Righy April 16, 2016

"This medicine is a miracle! I have completed my first months pack and I am proud to say that I have been smoke free for 7 days. It took me 3 weeks to quit and I probably could have sooner but I was hanging on to my bad habit. I didn't really think this medicine would work because I loved my cigarettes and it would take a lot for me to leave them but I am so happy to say that they are gone. I do have to deal with cravings every once in awhile (especially the first few days) but you just have to fight through them by keeping your mind busy with other things and the cravings will pass. The only side effect that I've had from this medicine is difficulty sleeping and racing thoughts. For awhile I was only able to sleep a few hours at a time."

bdaugherty (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2016

"I smoked for forty years the last 10 ,2 1/2 packs a day, started chantix feb 1st 2015 , kept smoking will I took it, within a month I was down to two cigs a day and quit March 3rd I had my last cigarette, have not had one for 13 months , had no side effects at all. Was very easy, have a grandson that is 8 and he got me to quit. Would recommend to all tried everything patch, hypnosis, this is the only thing that worked feel good , and saving 6,000 dollars a year. Thank you chantix."

Jay mitrani (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2016

"I found that this drug helped extremely well in my battle to quit smokeing. I did suffer from almost every non leathal side effect it can give you aside from sevier depression. I was a 15 year smoker and used the starter pack to quit. I have been two months shy of a year smoke free."

Sean Bailey April 5, 2016

"I have been using Chantix for 2 months and it works. Although after the starter pack I started to experience panic attacks so I stopped taking it. I waited a week or so and started the second pack. Now here comes the horrible part. I have lost 50% of my hair due to Chantix. There is no mention of possible hair loss with this medication. Yes I was able to stop smoking but I think I would rather have my hair."

naeinhtown (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2016

"On June 1, 2009 I began taking Chantix. The only side effect I had were the dreams, but they were't scary, just very vivid. In fact I liked th edreams so much I didn't want to wake up! I started smoking when I was 12 and in 2009 I was 54 years old. I was a smoker for 42 years and a two pack a day smoker for at least 20. Never-the-less, Chantix worked for me and I haven't had a single craving since I stopped taking it. I took it for the full 3 months even though I didn't feel I needed to, I just wanted to make sure I got the full benefit. If I can quite on Chantix, you can too! I wish I'd replaced it right away with healthy habits like exercise, but it took me a while to that. I fell healthier at 61 than I did at 21 which says a lot. Good l"

Swaney March 30, 2016

"Excellent at helping to quit smoking, as long as you are: a) seriously ready to quit; and b) prepared for the pattern changes (i.e. smoking in the car, smoking while on the phone, after meals, etc.) Worked really well for the first 3 to 4 weeks, but then dropped me into a severe depression and a downward spiral in the 4th and 5th weeks. I tapered back and eventually stopped taking it altogether starting in week 6 or so. At week 10 I ended up in the back of a police car on my way to the ER after a serious suicidal episode. PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH THIS DRUG! I've suffered from depression (never diagnosed or treated, but we know ourselves, don't we?) my entire life on and off, but this was bad. I'd go cold turkey, all things considered..."

SmokeFree Madison (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2016

"I was not feeling the effects until two weeks on chantix but shortly after I started not caring if I smoked a cigarette. It became more of a habit then need. I have been smoking for 13 years and have tried the patches, gum and electronic cigarette nothing worked like this. I have successfully quit and haven't felt the need to smoke even around other smokers."

Fitzmom08 (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2016