Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Learn more about Wellbutrin XL.

Major Depressive Disorder 3 reviews 44 medications

9.2
Depression 99 reviews 75 medications

8.1
Seasonal Affective Disorder 1 reviews 2 medications

Summary of Wellbutrin XL reviews 103 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I was started on 100 mg of Wellbutrin in January, initially did not note much of a mood alteration other then feeling more energetic. I was upped to 200 mg, and I had never felt better in my entire life. I started performing great in school, had a high energy level and motivation. I was happy and felt good. I lost initially 5 pounds and now I lost a total of 20 in three months (note I also was attempting to lose weight). The only side effects I experienced were hot flashes the first week I took 200 mg which was odd but manageable. Also I had insanely vivid dreams. Recently upped to 300 mg, and I feel manic. It is bizarre, this amazing medicine now does not work, my doc said I may possibly have bipolar depression, So I still highly recommend.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2014 1:39 AM

Review by Lyla Lexie:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder in 2006. My depression comes in cycles, but I take this medication every day. I was on Zoloft for about 3 years off and on and gained about 30 pounds, was tired all the time, and had some discouraging sexual side effects to top everything off. I did my research and discovered Wellbutrin, which other people said was more stimulating and had no sexual side effects. I asked my doctor if I could switch and started tapering off Zoloft while starting 150 mgs of Wellbutrin. My doctor upped the dose to 300 mgs and I had never been happier! It has drastically changed my life. Lost weight and can get up in the morning without being a total grouch. I only gave it a 9 because of the cost.

June 17, 2014 3:19 PM

Review by Vett66 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Was very depressed and hadn't slept in 4 days. Was diagnosed with manic depression and insomnia. Was put on Wellbutrin XL and trazodone for sleep. They both have been a miracle for me. No side effects from either except for dry mouth.

June 9, 2014 10:26 AM

Review by Lala83:

For Depression: Added this on along with my Cymbalta 60mg & Abilify 1mg. Took 150mg per day for 2 weeks until I realized I had major suicidal thoughts and ideation. Just out of nowhere. Immediately discontinued and felt better in 2-3 days. Beware of sudden mood changes please! The only good thing about this medicine is that it absolutely kills your appetite- lost 13lbs in 2 weeks. Not worth dying over though- sanity before vanity!

June 4, 2014 11:42 PM

Review by HannahBananaParker:

For Depression: I've never felt compelled to write a review for a medication before, but Wellbutrin XL saved my life. I suffered from chronic depression for years before I started taking Wellbutrin and within weeks it was as if the rain stopped and there's nothing but clear blue skies and sunshine since. Seriously. I cannot say enough good things about this medicine. The great thing about Wellbutrin (I take 150 MG) is that it doesn't make you feel zombie-like at all. I feel like a brighter, happier version of myself. I also take 150 MG of Lamictal, which has also significantly helped as well. I highly recommend these medications to anyone suffering from bipolar depression. They have done wonders.

June 1, 2014 6:05 PM

Review by sanac (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: I started taking Wellbutrin XL 150mg once a day for the first two weeks, back in November. At first I noticed a slight change in my mood. the dr. bumped me up to 300mg once a day. I have gotten a lot better now, not depressed, angry, sad all the time. Also before I started taking this I was having awful anxiety attacks to the point where I`d black out and wake up vomiting, I was losing a ton of weight because I was so depressed I had no appetite. Although I haven`t experienced weight gain with this medication I still don`t have much of an appetite but I have gone back to my normal weight. Drinking while taking this makes the alcohol affect you a lot quicker than usual, also causes me to black out 98% of the time.

May 26, 2014 5:58 PM

Review by Gonewiththewind78:

For Depression: I was under severe anxiety and depression from intolerable conditions at a hostile job for years until I was so sick their antics pushed me to go. I then went into a deep depression sleeping a ton having lack of energy feeling like nothing was ever going to be right again. I withdrew myself from family, friends and activities. I finally decided to go on Wellbutrin XL after talking it over with my psych because I have multiple health problems and couldn't take other kinds of antidepressants. It saved my life. No weight gain. I'm focused alert not depressed happy and have a job again. I am visiting family and friends too. Not sleeping a lot anymore. Try it.

April 26, 2014 8:26 AM

Review by JezJones:

Worked really well for my depression and anxiety, but triggered a hypomanic episode after taking it for 4 weeks.

April 8, 2014 5:59 AM

Review by Just a guy:

For Depression: This stuff worked wonders for me, and additionally I had absolutely no side effects what so ever from it, so talk about a double win when we tried this medicine out. Started on 300mg and it took about 75-80% of the edge off of the depression. Proceeded to add ability (had a rare side effect, made my eyesight horrible), added Prozac 40mg (helped but made me go limp in ways a guy never likes to happen), then down to 20mg (side effects mostly went away) but still not enough, went to 600mg of Wellbutrin and have been 100% depression free for the past 1 year.

March 26, 2014 4:53 AM

Review by Kate D (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: I have been on 150 mg Wellbutrin with 50 mg Pristiq daily with nominal results. My doctor upped the Wellbutrin to 300 mg and it has made all the difference. It is like day and night. I just hope I keep responding to this medication forever. It has changed my life and given me hope again. Keep trying and talking to your doctor. Good luck!

March 16, 2014 12:25 AM

Review by Mama Lisa (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: This medicine has saved my life. I was on it for several years (300 mg) and felt it wasn't helping any more so I quit it on my own. No problem quitting but a few months ago began feeling hopeless due to financial problems and could not do anything on weekends but lay around in bed and sleep my weekends away. I couldn't get anything done and put important things off that needed to be done. In just the last 2 days I can tell that I already want to get out of bed and do housework and get a shower. I didn't realize what Wellbutrin XL did for me but I do now and am grateful I am back in it!

March 1, 2014 11:59 AM

Review by Your Nickname:

For Depression: I started 150mg of Wellbutrin XL in Jul 2013 due to feeling very unmotivated, depressed, tired, and hopeless. After a few days I felt good, and by the second week I felt better than I had in several years. I increased the dose to 300mg in Oct because I was starting to feel down again. It helped a lot but by Jan I was very irritable/angry/bitter, so I lowered the dose to 150mg and restarted 40mg of Prozac and the anger subsided. To address some side effects: inability to fall asleep (went away after 2-3 weeks), increased libido (awesome), pretty much the same appetite (no weight loss or gain), vivid dreams (sometimes disturbing), more emotional (but not crazy/extreme), constipation (moderate-severe), sensitivity to caffeine (must avoid).

February 19, 2014 4:05 PM

Review by lex shugar:

For Depression: I have been using for less than a month. The only side effects I have experienced are headaches and adverse reactions to alcohol. My depression is better and I have more energy. I am a lot more irritable though. Not part of my personality. The reaction to alcohol sucks because I am a social drinker. Wine= metallic taste in my mouth. Beer= headaches within an hour. Liquor= nausea and feeling the urge to vomit. I hope this goes away along with the headaches. I am scheduled for a follow up with the doctor to discuss my progress. Maybe there is a recommendation for headache. Forgot to mention my appetite is more balanced and my libido is back to normal. Both a positive!

February 16, 2014 10:32 PM

Review by speerjam2000:

For Depression: I was on the generic for a while; unfortunately ALL of them didn't help. I switched over the the brand name 6 days ago and am experiencing less side effects so far and just feeling better overall. There is a big difference for me. I was able to find that the manufacturer has a program where the most you pay is $50 a month. I was lucky, they called my insurance and my copay is ZERO. There is definitely something going on with this and I am sure the manufacturer of the brand name is reimbursing the insurance companies somehow. Either way; my opinion : NO GENERIC FOR ANY WELLBUTRIN.

February 16, 2014 5:55 PM

Review by guest12:

For Depression: 5th day on Buproprion XL150. I am supposed to take this once a week and then double the dose. Right now I am feeling I should not double up as I don't like the side effects. First few days I felt like heart was racing a little, jittery, clenching on teeth, trouble falling asleep. Am I still as depressed? No. Am I laying in bed and not getting my work done? No.I wouldn't say I am motivated, but I am getting done what needs to. Lost weight. No real appetite but at night I get hungry. My MAIN concern is I feel anxious and self-conscious. I am in school and I have a job where I need to work with superiors and be able to listen and perform. I feel like I am just going through the motions; an out of body experience. Will this end soon?

January 22, 2014 12:33 PM

Review by Bookjunkie (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I've been on Bupropion XL 150mg for a little over a month. Though my depressive symptoms have subsided, I'm noticing an inability to lose weight as well as some very bizarre side effects such as rapid breast growth. (No, I am not currently pregnant.) While I am noticing an increased elated mood and a decrease in self injurious feelings, I am concerned about the weight issue and therefore I am now feeling slightly anxious and overly focused on my weight.

January 22, 2014 9:02 AM

Review by captainjacksparrow (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I have been on this medication for half a year. I was prescribed it for my ADHD and depression. It changed my life completely. As I have never felt so great in my whole life since I was a child. High motivation, increased energy, no suicide thoughts and it helped me to eat less and loose weight! I was on Lexapro for anxiety and panic for 5 years and gained a lot of weight. As well as that I had some other side effects with Lexapro. Happy!

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 30, 2013 8:46 PM

Review by CollegeStudentReview:

For Depression: I have never felt compelled to share my experiences about medications with others, but recently my mother shows me all of the horrible reviews that antidepressants are being given. I want others to know that there are in fact real people who benefit from antidepressants. I have been on Wellbutrin at 300 MG since March 2013, and while I did lose around 15 pounds (I was dieting at the time but the Wellbutrin also could have contributed to it) I have experienced little to no side effects at all, and I have found that I no longer experience crying spells or urges to hurt myself. The only warning I have is that it really does lower your tolerance to alcohol, so be mindful if you choose to drink.

December 24, 2013 11:47 PM

Review by So Much Happier (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: I was previously taking 150 mg for years and it stopped working. Just started 300 mg XL three days ago and I feel great! I suffer from mild depression and anxiety/rage. In one day I noticed I had more energy and felt an overall feeling of hope and joy. I also have a terrible sweet tooth and noticed that it took my cravings away (I didn't expect that!). Since the holidays are here, people have been giving me chocolate and baked goods and I'm not even tempted. I feel great!

December 23, 2013 12:32 PM

Review by therealBP:

For Depression: I've been taking generic Bupropion XL (150mg) for three days and I can already say I feel like a new person. Before, I had no energy. Other than going to work, all I could do was lay around and feel sorry for myself. In just three days I feel more clear-headed, energetic, optimistic... I wish I had started it sooner! The only other medication that's worked for me in the past was adderall, but I couldn't go on taking it due to the many unwanted side effects. Bupropion has worked wonders - little to no side effects for me, other than a slightly increased sex drive and loss of appetite (though nothing compared to adderall in that department). I've also been having really vivid dreams, which I love, since I've never been one to remember them.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2013 4:58 PM

Review by chill79 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: Third day on Wellbutrin and so far so good except for the side effects. I get headaches, angry and snapy over silly things, ringing in my ears. Those are the main side effects, and they're inconsistent up and down all long. I feel mentally alert and creative. And actually look forward to doing things. I haven't felt like that since I was a kid! Oh and my sex drive has increased. I found to be eating more food on this probably cause I've been more creative cooking in the kitchen. Just not sure if I'm into be angry/ snappy with my toddler around. Hopefully that side effect subsides.

November 14, 2013 1:48 PM

Review by Jenn,Roc,and Kendell Lynn:

For Depression: I had twins on April 8th. On the 11th of June I took my children to the doctor my 9 year old and the girls. The girls were receiving their 2mth old shot. All three kids left the doctors with a clean bill of health. Well that night my Autumn Rose passed away. I can't even describe the pain me and my husband and family are going through. Today is my 4th day taken 150 mg of this medication. I have noticed that I am becoming very angry for no reason at all. Last night was terrible I was freaking out throwing crap @ the house all because my husband and son woke the baby and she wouldn't go back to sleep. I don't know what to do it has only been 4 days and at times I feel so much better. I'm not walking and crying but I'm scared that the rage will not subside.

November 9, 2013 8:24 AM

Review by heyamykate (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I have been on Wellbutrin XL for a little over a year, and it has dramatically improved my quality of life. I have struggled with depression for almost my entire life, and only recently sought out treatment, and WOW, what a difference! Wellbutrin didn't cause any weight gain - if anything I lost some weight - and it didn't decrease my sex drive. It took about a month for it to kick in, but it was well worth it.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2013 10:47 AM

Review by santafegirl (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: Wellbutrin (bupropion) is the one medicine I have been on continuously. I started on in it 2006. I believe it works, but since I have never been off of it I am not sure. Now that I am on Viibryd as well I am doing much better. The combination of the 2 medicines seem to be doing the job.

October 5, 2013 1:31 AM

Review by Guest5251:

For Depression: I was on Lexapro, Effexor and Cymbalta to treat my depression. All of these meds affect sexual drive and cause a gain weight (20-30 pounds). I also had a hair loss on Lexapro, muscle pain on Effexor. My doctor gave me Wellbutrin brand samples for 2 weeks-150mg a day. Wow, I started to feel a difference on the second day, my mood was excellent, I had a lot of energy, I could feel a joy from little things. The only side effects were: constipation and no appetite at all.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2013 10:51 PM