User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Learn more about Wellbutrin XL.

Seasonal Affective Disorder 2 reviews 2 medications

8.5
Depression 154 reviews 77 medications

7.8
Major Depressive Disorder 27 reviews 46 medications

7.4
Summary of Wellbutrin XL reviews 183 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

For Major Depressive Disorder "This has been a life saver! Totally changed my life. I have tried SSRI many kinds to deal with my MDD with horrible side effects/ only slight headaches with wellbutrin;) I am very pleased with the results. It's been almost 2 months no sludge on the brain!!! THANK YOU!! I am GRATEFUL!!"

Impressed (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I highly recommend Wellbutrin XL. I used to suffer from major depression, but thanks to the Wellbutrin, my depression is almost nonexistent. Another great thing about it is I don't have any side effects. In the beginning, I lost my appetite & everything tasted bland. I was fine with that because I wanted to lose some weight, but thanks to my other medications my appetite came back. Darn! Maybe if you take it & want to lose weight you will get lucky as long as you don't take other medications to counteract it."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 2, 2016

For Depression "I got on Wellbutrin Xl 150mg cause I was having a hard time with racing thoughts and depression . It's been two weeks and my anxiety went up from a 6 to like 100 it also makes me afraid I'll hurt my self when I get the strong anxiety feeling its weird. I also have been really shaky inside and nausea it's hard to eat I get so sick at my stomach which isn't so bad I need to lose some lbs . I told my doc and he is going to add abilify 2 mg to see if it helps . I haven't picked up the prescription yet till later today. I hope it helps . I just want to feel normal again enjoy life instead of dwelling on everything. "

Bettyblu (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2016

For Depression "I've been on this for about 6 weeks. So far it's working for depression. Much better than Zoloft was for me. With the Zoloft, I had no emotions. I was a drone just going through day to day. With Wellbutrin I'm not depressed (or at least not nearly as much), and I can actually feel joy again. Also, the weight loss is a plus. The cons to this medication is sometimes I have Cottonmouth, once in a while my hands shake (though this hasn't happened recently, could have just been when my body was adjusting. And it wasn't frequent), and I really have no appetite for breakfast or lunch (I need to force down my breakfast, and I'm just not hungry at lunch). I'm going to continue this medication for a while."

Klondike Blame January 16, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Wellbutrin was without a doubt the most effect antidepressant I've ever taken. Unfortunately, a month and a half into treatment on 150mg XL/day I started getting cystic acne. It was terrible and I knew it had to be the Wellbutrin so I looked online and noticed other people complaining about getting Acne as well. It was terrible, it only made my depression worse because I had this big cystic lumps on my face. A month after tapering off and taking antibiotics prescribed by my dermatologist it finally went away but I went back to being depressed."

Wibblet (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

For Depression "It is the best has really helped me I fill like my old self thank god for this medicine"

JMark c January 10, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have tried many different kinds of antidepressants but I must say that Wellbutrin XL300mg has been the best. I have been on it for 3 years. I am so much happier and just feel better in general. The only side effect I have had while taking it is dry mouth. I was always a calm, attentive student even before I had the medicine. But since I have been taking it so long, if I happen to miss one or more days of taking it, I act as if I have ADHD. I am unable to focus and talk like a Chatty Cathy. If you have ever seen a little seven year old with really bad ADHD.That's me. I will skip in place, bounce up and down, and what not. I have NEVER had ADHD or ADD (I am super calm), but if I don't take it I act like it. That's my one and only problem."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 7, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Bad bad side effects from Wellbutrin xl , major palpitations, dry dry mouth, crying, couldn't sit still, and panic . After taking for 2 weeks. Nausea is debilitating . Worse medication I have ever had , back on Paxil cr"

Buddy34 January 6, 2016

For Depression "I had weened off Effexor in October as I was tired of the side effects. I wanted to go the natural route with exercising and eating better to see if it would help. Unfortunately I have been going through a hard time and needed something to help me through this. I started on Wellbutrin XL , 150 mg, about 2 weeks ago. I honestly can't tell if it is helping or not. I feel about the same mood wise ...very sad, crying a lot, no appetite, sense of failure and no hope. I know things can't change immediately but was hoping I could be one of the individuals that experience positive results. Hope this changes eventually."

Phoebe Haliwell (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Recently I switched from Lexapro to Wellbrutrin XL due to what seemed to be decreased efficacy. I have never been so miserable in my life! After 2 weeks I was feeling dizzy and had vertigo which my doctor said should subside. The good news is that it did. The bad news is I started feeling tingling and numbness in my hands and feet. This feeling did not go away. I also experiences nausea, vomiting, severe agitation and general malaise. After 5 weeks of being on Wellbutrin I called my doctor and told her my symptoms. She has put me on Effexor but I can't start the medication till my symptoms go away which I hope will be soon cause I think my family has about had it with me this last month. I hope Effexor helps and soon! Take care everyone!"

beachcat71 January 2, 2016

For Depression "I've been on Wellbutrin XL 150mg for 7 weeks now (adult ADD and comorbid depression). I experienced some of the common side effects such as dry mouth and loss of appetite, but everything came back to normal after a few weeks. Sadly, I haven't noticed much change in terms of mood or attention/focus... It hasn't worsened but it hasn't improved either. Then again I know this is a low dose. I saw my doctor today and he switched my prescription to Wellbutrin XL 300mg. I'm starting tomorrow and I hope it will work better for me. I'm eager to give it another try since I've seen a lot of positive reviews on here :)"

Veronique23 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2015

For Depression "I am making this solely because I remember looking up reviews of antidepressants before I ever took one and being terrified of what my life might look like if I started taking one. I took Lexapro for 3 days and felt like a zombie, and swore off antidepressants. However, my depression continued. Thankfully my roommate who is also a 21 year old junior in college told me about her positive experience. I feel like a completely different person now. The first two weeks my emotions were all over the place, and my anxiety was high. Anxiety is still factor sometimes, but it gets less frequent every week. At 5 weeks on Wellbutrin my life has changed for the better. I finally feel like I can live the life that I was meant to. And I've lost weight!"

Dria (Guera) December 22, 2015

For Depression "Feel great, no side effects"

Stewart, heath December 17, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I started taking bupropion XL 150mg a day I took that for a month, the first 3 weeks I felt kind of cloudy/lost, had a little bit of anxiety and had some pretty bad ups and downs with my depression but by the end of the month I felt a lot better and didn't even feel like I was on a medication at all. I just started my second month and was upped to a 300mg dose. I'm on my 5th day and so far have had really bad anxiety attacks feeling like I'm losing control/ stuck in my own head most of the time and sleeping a lot. I'm hoping I can stick it out like with the 150 and start feeling normal again. I almost quit in the first 3 weeks of 150 but I stuck it out after reading positive reviews and it got better. I'm hoping that happens with the 300mg."

Kotilour December 16, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been on bupropion xl 300 for around 6 months and I'm really glad that I stuck through it. For me it definitely got worse before it got better. Around the second and third month my anxiety had me on edge and I had a very short temper. The positive definitely outweighed the negative though. I'm no longer sleeping all day, I finally have the energy to workout and carryout basic activities, and no more emotional eating. As a result I've lost 25 pounds and it has really helped me with my confidence. Not everyday is great but thats just part of life. I'm no longer irritable and my anxiety is not perfect, but manageable. I finally feel like I'm taking control of my life. If you can stick it out past the 3 month mark I think it's worth a try"

abcanadagirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 14, 2015

For Depression "I Experienced horrible vertigo on this medication. Eventually caused a seizure followed by an excruciatingly painful nerve attack that I had never experienced before. I am now diagnosed with fibromyalgia 6 months later after stopping this medication. I think that the seizure it caused might have permanently damaged my nerve functions."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2015

For Depression "I was skeptical of both this medicine and the depression diagnosis, but I had to try something to break the cycle of low motivation and anxiety. I've only been on 150mg for three days and the change has been incredible! My writing muse is back and I've gotten fantastic feedback from my new job. I hope it stays this way!"

Lizblackcat (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2015

For Depression "I have been on the generic version of Wellbutrin XL since July 1, 2015. It took about a week for me to notice any change but it was definitely for the better. I started to feel like my old self again. Happy, fun, energetic, and social. Every once in a while I still have a bad day but it's much more manageable now. I haven't experienced any negative side effects and have actually lost 30lbs since I started taking it. Overall, I am doing much better now that I am on Wellbutrin."

Hazel837 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I found that Wellbutrin XL benefit both my mood (stabilized) and helped me with a learning disability. I am able to track numbers and remember a longer sequence of numbers for short term memory."

Junith (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 4, 2015

For Depression "I have been on generic wellbutrin XL 150mg for about a month and a half now. All I can say is that it is an interesting drug. I didn't want to really go on it because, while I have depression, it is not that bad. I was hoping to get on something to help my anxiety because that is way worse. Well the first 3 weeks I was on it were fine. I felt a little bit more energy and libido and no side effects. Then all of a sudden from week 3-4 I got extremely anxious, stressed, and angry. Everything made me angry. I can happily say that those side effects have passed and I now have none. These last 2 weeks have been great. Tons of energy and drive. Love cleaning now for some reason and I used to hate it."

Mcgell54 December 2, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "January 2015 I was on Remeron 15mg by April 2015 I was at 45mg Remeron. I felt normal and happy but I gained 26lbs. Sept 2015 I was switched to Effexor 150mg because of issues caused by the weight. By October I was on 300mg Effexor. Today is day two of 150mg Wellbutrin. I am suffering headaches from going from Effexor to Wellbutrin. Tomorrow I increase to 300mg Wellbutrin. I can say that day two on Wellbutrin and I am not feeling as numb (unemotional) as I was two days ago. That's a positive. This is definitely a rollercoaster ride in trying to find the right meds to help with my major depressive disorder, anxiety/panic attacks and insomnia. My only regret is that I didn't get help sooner. Instead I suffered alone for years."

Unemotional November 30, 2015

For Depression "I've been on and off this medication but nothing related to the drug. I was diagnosed with dysthymia one year ago and then it aggravated with a major depression so I started sertraline, after the adjustment period it was the best I was always happy with lots of energy, and lost 30 pounds in like 3 months, loved it. then my psych decided to change me to wellbutrin. I felt fine, with energy, and wanting to do stuff. because before I couldnt get up of my bed but, yes I felt the wellbutrin rage (those days when u look like u have PMS), I never lost a single pound on it (which i dont like). But didn't appear to gain more weight either. Lately I'm feeling lightheaded, I dont sleep well cuz the vivid dreams, which makes me tired but the libido is back up"

theDoctorBel (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2015

For Depression "WellbutrinXL 150mg for 3 weeks. This medication has changed my life. Went to PMC to renew Ritalin prescription after Adult ADD diagnosis. Family history of depression, PSTD (combat-related). Personal history of adolescent drug and alcohol abuse (nothing hard). Held a firm belief depression could be "powered through". Apparently depression has set in at 33, which I treated with Adderral and Ritalin. My drinking got so heavy I fell and suffered a serious concussion. Doctor denied my Ritalin script and prescribed Wellbutrin. Had side effects: severe bloating, headache, pressured speech. All gone. Energy is sky high, focus is on point, and weight is down. Can't say enough about this medication. Hope it stays this amazing forever."

TM123 (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2015

For Depression "I've been battling depression for years now. I am now 42. About 10 years ago, I tried Wellbutrin xl 150mg once a day. It's the only antidepressant I've ever tried and it worked wonders! I wasn't sad anymore, I lost weight and I was happy. Then a few years later, it was changed to generic and life wasn't the same. I was sad all the time, gained weight, basically depressed. Flash forward to a few months ago. Found the Wellbutrin site that's assists with getting the name brand drug for $50 a month. I have now been on Wellbutrin xl 300mg once a day for three months now. I still don't feel as sad or down. Life is definitely looking up more often than not but I have not lost any weight this time, which in turn makes me depressed. I will continue"

bellaboo14 November 2, 2015

For Depression "I was depressed and sad with no motivation. I had suffered several losses and could not seem to recover. Developed anxiety. I just wanted to be my carefree busy self again. My Dr gave me 100mg Welbutrin. I took it for a few weeks and felt just weird, not better. My Dr suggested I double the dose. ! I took 200mg and immediately felt suicidal. My bf had to restrain me from jumping out the window or slicing my throat. The mist awful feeling of my life. But I learned that compared to that feeling, I wasn't that depressed and I went on trazadone for sleeping issues. Helped greatly. As well as strenuous exercise an hour a day. I'm sure some meds work, but I feel as if you are playing Russian Roulette with your life."

Otter612 October 31, 2015