Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Learn more about Wellbutrin XL.

Seasonal Affective Disorder 2 reviews 2 medications

8.1
Summary of Wellbutrin XL reviews 124 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Review by Vinylfind (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: After being prescribed this medication, I read up on it and was afraid to take it. It stayed in my drawer for three months. Recently my depression and anxiety has become serious as several difficult events on my life are unfolding. I decided to start it. This is my first day and though it may have been a placebo effect, I wasn't particularly worried. I functioned very well at work, even laughed a bit and smiled. I had no adverse reaction. I'm at the eight hour mark and still feel pretty good considering the stressful situations in front of me. I'm on 150 for three days then to 300. I hope this will give me my life back

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 14, 2015 7:29 PM

Review by Nnabuck (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: DO NOT TAKE THIS IF YOU HAVE ANXIETY OR A PANIC DISORDER. at first I loved the stuff. I had the drive to actually get out of bed and do stuff. I exercised often, lost weight, became more social. However, I suffer from anxiety and after awhile, the medication made it 1000x worse. I suffered panic attacks weekly. It's just not worth it for those who have anxiety.

April 3, 2015 10:06 AM

Review by Widner r (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Seasonal Affective Disorder: I have been taking Wellbutrin XL for several years for Seasonal Affective Disorder, taking 150 mg once a day to 300 mg once a day, depending on the level of my depression. Every year, it has helped me. In the fall, I feel a sadness coming over me, and find myself sleeping more, getting out and doing less. When I start taking the Wellbutrin, within a week, I am back to my normal self.

March 6, 2015 3:44 PM

Review by Michelle f (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I had a rough time starting young with major depression and anxiety since middle school. My freshman year I started taking Lexapro. It was the worst possible thing that could've happened to me. Worst side effects ever. I gained over 40 pounds. I was tiny and petite to being around 125 to 170. Tried switching from many multiple different meds, still gained weight. Then my doctor finally put me on Wellbutrin, started off with the low dose and didn't really help much. She upped me to 150. I had hyperglycemia and finally got over it and got off of metformin. I am starting to finally lose some of that weight and about to look great for senior year. I highly recommend this medicine. It makes me not hungry anymore. I'm so happy now!

February 24, 2015 6:56 PM

Review by Ms. Pooh (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: Switching from another antidepressant to Wellbutrin XL, made my depression worst. I became very hostile. Ugly mood changes. Changing from one antidepressant to another is the worst thing that I ever did in my life. Some family members are not speaking to me because of my hostile actions toward them. Every day I used was a sad day.

February 19, 2015 12:19 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: I had a great experience with this antidepressant. I am 18 and I've been on it for four years. I forgot to take it today for the first time in years. I've been crying and shaking all day because my body doesn't know how to function without it. Needless to say, I need it to get through every day life. It's worked so well for so long. I can't see myself getting off of it any time soon.

January 28, 2015 1:48 PM

Review by 14 yr old son (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: The lowest dose made him stop saying he wanted to kill himself. The doctor up his dosage and I can see my son smile and laugh again. No side effects at all. He even dances now. He's so funny. Before it was a nightmare with him. He's also on Latuda but that takes 3 weeks to kick in. Wellbutrin XL is a life saver for major depression. No more ups and downs.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2015 1:16 PM

Review by Esjay Anne (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I'm 16 and am limited to medications that are safe for me to take because of an extreme anxiety order I have. When I first started Wellbutrin it was slow to see changes but now I can honestly say it's helped me so much. Something a lot of people don't know is that it may also help you lose weight in certain situations. I began my sophomore year at about 180 lbs and now I'm at 155. (I am 5'7") I feel so much healthier now and also happier. I highly recommend this for teens who are struggling with other medicines.

January 15, 2015 11:29 PM

Review by Gravenwolf (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I was put on this medicine in 2011 due to severe anxiety that led to depression. My psych doc had combined Wellbutrin XL 300mg and Cymbalta 60mg. Within 6 months I was symptom free and back to normal. I stopped all medicines 12 months later. Then I went 2.5 years without meds. An anxiety attack this November started my relapse. Now I'm back on the same combination, hoping for the same results as last time. Only this time I'm staying on the meds for 2 years minimum.

January 12, 2015 7:10 AM

Review by AxInPhoenix (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Getting started on this medicine can be tricky. It comes in doses from 75mg immediate release up to 300mg extended release. Due to the stimulant effect it has, you may need to ease into it! Everybody is different. I had to ease into it. For Major Depressive Disorder, it has worked great. I lost weight, my sex drive is through the roof (I'm 54 and feel like a teenager in that respect). I have lots of energy, (sometimes, too much). It doesn't help with my anxiety; I still need Klonopin now and then. It also gives me insomnia, again, the Klonopin helps there. And as other have said, it doesn't "build up" in your system so you don't get the withdrawal SSRI's/SNRI's.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2015 10:25 AM

Review by Hey1234 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: This is the best thing ever. I was suffering from no desire to go to work, I couldn't wake up, I was always late, I lost my motivation to accomplish things, I was anti-social and really just hating myself and life. I was also flustered, confused, feeling out of control and miserable. I started Wellbutrin and by the third day I could REALLY feel the difference. My mind starter to clear, I wasn't hazy, my motivation was back and I could wake up early. This has been an answer to prayers. The study of the brain and body with science is amazing. I'm very thankful.

147 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 30, 2014 8:43 AM

Review by cntrywolf (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I was diagnosed with major depression several years back. I've been on almost everything out there. I would try the medicine and hate the side effects or how it made me feel and taper myself off. Wellbutrin came on the market and I asked to be put on it. I take 300mg everyday and up until recently it was working great. As I age other emotional problems occurred (anxiety disorder) that Wellbutrin was not helping with, and Effexor was added. Wellbutrin is the ONLY psychotropic medicine I've not had any side effects with and have stayed on as long as I have. It also helped me quit smoking after being a 25 yr /1pk a day smoker.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2014 1:59 PM

Review by rfs86:

For Major Depressive Disorder: Well I've been on this medication for three days now. I can tell today that my mood has gone up like way up. I do notice it's hard to sleep or stay a sleep. I maybe have gotten 5 hours each night since I've started. But I feel alive and ambitious.

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2014 10:59 AM

Review by VicGirl (taken for less than 1 month):

For Major Depressive Disorder: It's only been four days - I've been told it takes about 2 to 3 weeks for full affect. I am taking 300 mg per day. I definitely feel better, but it's subtle at this point (I wanted to go outside and be part of society). What I'm most surprised about is the lack of side effects (other than no appetite) I have not one side effect.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2014 10:09 PM

Review by chameleon18 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I have situational depression, never dealt with it before. Wellbutrin had definitely helped get me out of bed each day. The "situation" is becoming better as well but I find my emotions aren't as out of whack. I cry less & get angry less. I do feel it made me more anxious which I'm already dealing with & taking Buspirone for. I didn't experience many side effects BUT one that is hard to deal with but because it seems to make me get through each day a little better, I deal with it. It makes my throat feel closed, which is very annoying. I feel often like I can't breathe well & that I can't swallow or that something is stuck in my throat. I've not taken any other pills on several days to determine that it was the Wellbutrin that did it & it is.

December 3, 2014 8:10 AM

Review by zoozzzz:

For Depression: Bad for me. Would not let me sleep. Felt angry all the time. Did, not help me at all in a matter of fact it made things worse.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 26, 2014 3:57 PM

Review by ilovedogs7896 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: This medication worked wonders for me. It took a while (3 weeks maybe) for it to fully set in, and I went from suicidal thoughts and self harm attempts to actually being able to function in society. Wonderful antidepressant, no side effects, except that it is easier to become angry because this medication quickens emotional reaction time. I was put on Lamictal and Klonopin to help my anger and anxiety/paranoia/panic attacks that came with my depression and they have both been wonderful. I do not have any complaint except the anger issue. I will occasionally have a breakdown and have only self harmed twice since starting this medication. Would recommend to anyone suffering from depression.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 12, 2014 9:18 PM

Review by mytye (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Helped better than any other antidepressant I have taken (& there have been a few!) Major depressive disorder is a tricky one. Still working on that (20 yrs. now), but I'm function able.

November 4, 2014 2:02 PM

Review by RedmondGemm (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 1996 soon after moving to Seattle. In hindsight, I've been *depressed* for most of the past 20 yrs. The long, dark Seattle winters didn't help, so I'm sure I suffered from Seasonal Affective Disorder, too. I avoided taking antidepressants all these years, fearing side effects, weight gain and turning into an emotionless zombie. NONE of these things happened when I started on Wellbutrin XL-150 mg. Instead, immediately after taking my first couple of doses, something miraculous happened: my 17-yr struggle with bladder incontinence COMPLETELY disappeared. I have my pre-Multiple Sclerosis bladder back! I'm also STRONGER on my bike than EVER (I'm an avid cyclist), sleeping great, dreaming vividly, losing weight and interested in sex like never before. MIRACLE MEDICINE (for me)!

246 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 30, 2014 5:24 PM

Review by am49:

For Depression: This medication has worked miracles for me. It has very few side effects and WORKS. One of the best things about it is no weight gain - it can actually cause you to lose weight! If you've got depression, I would definitely recommend Wellbutrin XL.

172 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 19, 2014 9:09 PM

Review by Jruffin (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I never really want to share an experience about a medicine but honestly this is an awesome medicine. I was never depressed but I had pretty bad anxiety when it came to taking tests and I had trouble focusing and remembering things and I am only 20. After taking this for a week I started to wake up early and feel energized throughout the day. I felt great at work, remembering tasks and being really nice and helpful to customers. I've been on it for almost a month now but I feel like it's lost it's effect on me just a little. I've asked to be bumped up to 300 mg. I hope it works.

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 12, 2014 12:53 PM

Review by Autonomous Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: I relied on these reviews when I first started meds, so wanted to share my experience. I have been on Wellbutrin XL 300mg for about 2.5 years with extremely positive results. This is the first antidepressant I have ever taken, and I have been much better on it. No more falling through emotional thin ice 20+ times a day, no more crying, and hardly any negative thinking. Started on 150xl for about 1.5-2 months then up to 300XL. Experienced almost no side effects -- only a few occasional strange headaches in the beginning Only side effect is constipation, which can mostly be mitigated with fiber and good eating. Exercise is still a must for me to feel O.K. Before, post gym I would go from -6 to 1 or 2. Now with Meds I go from 3/4 to a 9/10

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 12, 2014 11:24 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I was started on 100 mg of Wellbutrin in January, initially did not note much of a mood alteration other then feeling more energetic. I was upped to 200 mg, and I had never felt better in my entire life. I started performing great in school, had a high energy level and motivation. I was happy and felt good. I lost initially 5 pounds and now I lost a total of 20 in three months (note I also was attempting to lose weight). The only side effects I experienced were hot flashes the first week I took 200 mg which was odd but manageable. Also I had insanely vivid dreams. Recently upped to 300 mg, and I feel manic. It is bizarre, this amazing medicine now does not work, my doc said I may possibly have bipolar depression, So I still highly recommend.

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2014 1:39 AM

Review by Lyla Lexie:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder in 2006. My depression comes in cycles, but I take this medication every day. I was on Zoloft for about 3 years off and on and gained about 30 pounds, was tired all the time, and had some discouraging sexual side effects to top everything off. I did my research and discovered Wellbutrin, which other people said was more stimulating and had no sexual side effects. I asked my doctor if I could switch and started tapering off Zoloft while starting 150 mgs of Wellbutrin. My doctor upped the dose to 300 mgs and I had never been happier! It has drastically changed my life. Lost weight and can get up in the morning without being a total grouch. I only gave it a 9 because of the cost.

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 17, 2014 3:19 PM

Review by Vett66 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Was very depressed and hadn't slept in 4 days. Was diagnosed with manic depression and insomnia. Was put on Wellbutrin XL and trazodone for sleep. They both have been a miracle for me. No side effects from either except for dry mouth.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 9, 2014 10:26 AM