User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Learn more about Wellbutrin XL.

Major Depressive Disorder 8 reviews 44 medications

8.4
Depression 105 reviews 75 medications

8.2
Seasonal Affective Disorder 1 reviews 2 medications

Summary of Wellbutrin XL reviews 114 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Review by 14 yr old son (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: The lowest dose made him stop saying he wanted to kill himself. The doctor up his dosage and I can see my son smile and laugh again. No side effects at all. He even dances now. He's so funny. Before it was a nightmare with him. He's also on Latuda but that takes 3 weeks to kick in. Wellbutrin XL is a life saver for major depression. No more ups and downs.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2015 1:16 PM

Review by cntrywolf (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I was diagnosed with major depression several years back. I've been on almost everything out there. I would try the medicine and hate the side effects or how it made me feel and taper myself off. Wellbutrin came on the market and I asked to be put on it. I take 300mg everyday and up until recently it was working great. As I age other emotional problems occurred (anxiety disorder) that Wellbutrin was not helping with, and Effexor was added. Wellbutrin is the ONLY psychotropic medicine I've not had any side effects with and have stayed on as long as I have. It also helped me quit smoking after being a 25 yr /1pk a day smoker.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2014 1:59 PM

Review by rfs86:

For Major Depressive Disorder: Well I've been on this medication for three days now. I can tell today that my mood has gone up like way up. I do notice it's hard to sleep or stay a sleep. I maybe have gotten 5 hours each night since I've started. But I feel alive and ambitious.

December 19, 2014 10:59 AM

Review by VicGirl (taken for less than 1 month):

For Major Depressive Disorder: It's only been four days - I've been told it takes about 2 to 3 weeks for full affect. I am taking 300 mg per day. I definitely feel better, but it's subtle at this point (I wanted to go outside and be part of society). What I'm most surprised about is the lack of side effects (other than no appetite) I have not one side effect.

December 8, 2014 10:09 PM

Review by chameleon18 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I have situational depression, never dealt with it before. Wellbutrin had definitely helped get me out of bed each day. The "situation" is becoming better as well but I find my emotions aren't as out of whack. I cry less & get angry less. I do feel it made me more anxious which I'm already dealing with & taking Buspirone for. I didn't experience many side effects BUT one that is hard to deal with but because it seems to make me get through each day a little better, I deal with it. It makes my throat feel closed, which is very annoying. I feel often like I can't breathe well & that I can't swallow or that something is stuck in my throat. I've not taken any other pills on several days to determine that it was the Wellbutrin that did it & it is.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2014 8:10 AM

Review by zoozzzz:

For Depression: Bad for me. Would not let me sleep. Felt angry all the time. Did, not help me at all in a matter of fact it made things worse.

November 26, 2014 3:57 PM

Review by ilovedogs7896 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: This medication worked wonders for me. It took a while (3 weeks maybe) for it to fully set in, and I went from suicidal thoughts and self harm attempts to actually being able to function in society. Wonderful antidepressant, no side effects, except that it is easier to become angry because this medication quickens emotional reaction time. I was put on Lamictal and Klonopin to help my anger and anxiety/paranoia/panic attacks that came with my depression and they have both been wonderful. I do not have any complaint except the anger issue. I will occasionally have a breakdown and have only self harmed twice since starting this medication. Would recommend to anyone suffering from depression.

November 12, 2014 9:18 PM

Review by mytye (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Helped better than any other antidepressant I have taken (& there have been a few!) Major depressive disorder is a tricky one. Still working on that (20 yrs. now), but I'm function able.

November 4, 2014 2:02 PM

Review by RedmondGemm (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 1996 soon after moving to Seattle. In hindsight, I've been *depressed* for most of the past 20 yrs. The long, dark Seattle winters didn't help, so I'm sure I suffered from Seasonal Affective Disorder, too. I avoided taking antidepressants all these years, fearing side effects, weight gain and turning into an emotionless zombie. NONE of these things happened when I started on Wellbutrin XL-150 mg. Instead, immediately after taking my first couple of doses, something miraculous happened: my 17-yr struggle with bladder incontinence COMPLETELY disappeared. I have my pre-Multiple Sclerosis bladder back! I'm also STRONGER on my bike than EVER (I'm an avid cyclist), sleeping great, dreaming vividly, losing weight and interested in sex like never before. MIRACLE MEDICINE (for me)!

167 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 30, 2014 5:24 PM

Review by am49:

For Depression: This medication has worked miracles for me. It has very few side effects and WORKS. One of the best things about it is no weight gain - it can actually cause you to lose weight! If you've got depression, I would definitely recommend Wellbutrin XL.

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 19, 2014 9:09 PM

Review by Jruffin (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I never really want to share an experience about a medicine but honestly this is an awesome medicine. I was never depressed but I had pretty bad anxiety when it came to taking tests and I had trouble focusing and remembering things and I am only 20. After taking this for a week I started to wake up early and feel energized throughout the day. I felt great at work, remembering tasks and being really nice and helpful to customers. I've been on it for almost a month now but I feel like it's lost it's effect on me just a little. I've asked to be bumped up to 300 mg. I hope it works.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 12, 2014 12:53 PM

Review by Autonomous Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: I relied on these reviews when I first started meds, so wanted to share my experience. I have been on Wellbutrin XL 300mg for about 2.5 years with extremely positive results. This is the first antidepressant I have ever taken, and I have been much better on it. No more falling through emotional thin ice 20+ times a day, no more crying, and hardly any negative thinking. Started on 150xl for about 1.5-2 months then up to 300XL. Experienced almost no side effects -- only a few occasional strange headaches in the beginning Only side effect is constipation, which can mostly be mitigated with fiber and good eating. Exercise is still a must for me to feel O.K. Before, post gym I would go from -6 to 1 or 2. Now with Meds I go from 3/4 to a 9/10

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 12, 2014 11:24 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I was started on 100 mg of Wellbutrin in January, initially did not note much of a mood alteration other then feeling more energetic. I was upped to 200 mg, and I had never felt better in my entire life. I started performing great in school, had a high energy level and motivation. I was happy and felt good. I lost initially 5 pounds and now I lost a total of 20 in three months (note I also was attempting to lose weight). The only side effects I experienced were hot flashes the first week I took 200 mg which was odd but manageable. Also I had insanely vivid dreams. Recently upped to 300 mg, and I feel manic. It is bizarre, this amazing medicine now does not work, my doc said I may possibly have bipolar depression, So I still highly recommend.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2014 1:39 AM

Review by Lyla Lexie:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder in 2006. My depression comes in cycles, but I take this medication every day. I was on Zoloft for about 3 years off and on and gained about 30 pounds, was tired all the time, and had some discouraging sexual side effects to top everything off. I did my research and discovered Wellbutrin, which other people said was more stimulating and had no sexual side effects. I asked my doctor if I could switch and started tapering off Zoloft while starting 150 mgs of Wellbutrin. My doctor upped the dose to 300 mgs and I had never been happier! It has drastically changed my life. Lost weight and can get up in the morning without being a total grouch. I only gave it a 9 because of the cost.

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 17, 2014 3:19 PM

Review by Vett66 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Was very depressed and hadn't slept in 4 days. Was diagnosed with manic depression and insomnia. Was put on Wellbutrin XL and trazodone for sleep. They both have been a miracle for me. No side effects from either except for dry mouth.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 9, 2014 10:26 AM

Review by Lala83:

For Depression: Added this on along with my Cymbalta 60mg & Abilify 1mg. Took 150mg per day for 2 weeks until I realized I had major suicidal thoughts and ideation. Just out of nowhere. Immediately discontinued and felt better in 2-3 days. Beware of sudden mood changes please! The only good thing about this medicine is that it absolutely kills your appetite- lost 13lbs in 2 weeks. Not worth dying over though- sanity before vanity!

June 4, 2014 11:42 PM

Review by HannahBananaParker:

For Depression: I've never felt compelled to write a review for a medication before, but Wellbutrin XL saved my life. I suffered from chronic depression for years before I started taking Wellbutrin and within weeks it was as if the rain stopped and there's nothing but clear blue skies and sunshine since. Seriously. I cannot say enough good things about this medicine. The great thing about Wellbutrin (I take 150 MG) is that it doesn't make you feel zombie-like at all. I feel like a brighter, happier version of myself. I also take 150 MG of Lamictal, which has also significantly helped as well. I highly recommend these medications to anyone suffering from bipolar depression. They have done wonders.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 1, 2014 6:05 PM

Review by sanac (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: I started taking Wellbutrin XL 150mg once a day for the first two weeks, back in November. At first I noticed a slight change in my mood. the dr. bumped me up to 300mg once a day. I have gotten a lot better now, not depressed, angry, sad all the time. Also before I started taking this I was having awful anxiety attacks to the point where I`d black out and wake up vomiting, I was losing a ton of weight because I was so depressed I had no appetite. Although I haven`t experienced weight gain with this medication I still don`t have much of an appetite but I have gone back to my normal weight. Drinking while taking this makes the alcohol affect you a lot quicker than usual, also causes me to black out 98% of the time.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 26, 2014 5:58 PM

Review by Gonewiththewind78:

For Depression: I was under severe anxiety and depression from intolerable conditions at a hostile job for years until I was so sick their antics pushed me to go. I then went into a deep depression sleeping a ton having lack of energy feeling like nothing was ever going to be right again. I withdrew myself from family, friends and activities. I finally decided to go on Wellbutrin XL after talking it over with my psych because I have multiple health problems and couldn't take other kinds of antidepressants. It saved my life. No weight gain. I'm focused alert not depressed happy and have a job again. I am visiting family and friends too. Not sleeping a lot anymore. Try it.

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 26, 2014 8:26 AM

Review by JezJones:

Worked really well for my depression and anxiety, but triggered a hypomanic episode after taking it for 4 weeks.

April 8, 2014 5:59 AM

Review by Just a guy:

For Depression: This stuff worked wonders for me, and additionally I had absolutely no side effects what so ever from it, so talk about a double win when we tried this medicine out. Started on 300mg and it took about 75-80% of the edge off of the depression. Proceeded to add ability (had a rare side effect, made my eyesight horrible), added Prozac 40mg (helped but made me go limp in ways a guy never likes to happen), then down to 20mg (side effects mostly went away) but still not enough, went to 600mg of Wellbutrin and have been 100% depression free for the past 1 year.

March 26, 2014 4:53 AM

Review by Kate D (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: I have been on 150 mg Wellbutrin with 50 mg Pristiq daily with nominal results. My doctor upped the Wellbutrin to 300 mg and it has made all the difference. It is like day and night. I just hope I keep responding to this medication forever. It has changed my life and given me hope again. Keep trying and talking to your doctor. Good luck!

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2014 12:25 AM

Review by Mama Lisa (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: This medicine has saved my life. I was on it for several years (300 mg) and felt it wasn't helping any more so I quit it on my own. No problem quitting but a few months ago began feeling hopeless due to financial problems and could not do anything on weekends but lay around in bed and sleep my weekends away. I couldn't get anything done and put important things off that needed to be done. In just the last 2 days I can tell that I already want to get out of bed and do housework and get a shower. I didn't realize what Wellbutrin XL did for me but I do now and am grateful I am back in it!

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 1, 2014 11:59 AM

Review by Your Nickname:

For Depression: I started 150mg of Wellbutrin XL in Jul 2013 due to feeling very unmotivated, depressed, tired, and hopeless. After a few days I felt good, and by the second week I felt better than I had in several years. I increased the dose to 300mg in Oct because I was starting to feel down again. It helped a lot but by Jan I was very irritable/angry/bitter, so I lowered the dose to 150mg and restarted 40mg of Prozac and the anger subsided. To address some side effects: inability to fall asleep (went away after 2-3 weeks), increased libido (awesome), pretty much the same appetite (no weight loss or gain), vivid dreams (sometimes disturbing), more emotional (but not crazy/extreme), constipation (moderate-severe), sensitivity to caffeine (must avoid).

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 19, 2014 4:05 PM

Review by lex shugar:

For Depression: I have been using for less than a month. The only side effects I have experienced are headaches and adverse reactions to alcohol. My depression is better and I have more energy. I am a lot more irritable though. Not part of my personality. The reaction to alcohol sucks because I am a social drinker. Wine= metallic taste in my mouth. Beer= headaches within an hour. Liquor= nausea and feeling the urge to vomit. I hope this goes away along with the headaches. I am scheduled for a follow up with the doctor to discuss my progress. Maybe there is a recommendation for headache. Forgot to mention my appetite is more balanced and my libido is back to normal. Both a positive!

February 16, 2014 10:32 PM