User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Learn more about Wellbutrin XL.

Seasonal Affective Disorder 2 reviews 2 medications

8.5
Depression 164 reviews 79 medications

7.8
Major Depressive Disorder 30 reviews 47 medications

7.1
Summary of Wellbutrin XL reviews 196 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

For Depression "After having seizures back in December, doctor started me on lexapro for depress- made me sweat like crazy, light headed, uh, not function at work, then to zoloft, slightly better, still sweating intensely after first hour, seemed better than lexapro, stuck with it for 3 mos, no real change in depression; incredibly tired all day. Added Wellbutrin to mix, after 3 weeks couldn't be around any one, a total irritable ahole. Finally had enough, stopped wellbutrin and did extensive research about generics vs name brands. Despite FDA's approval many people report the generics are not nearly as effective. 3 days off fake wellbutrin, feel slightly better. getting of zoloft next. Perhaps brand names work, but i'll deal with my depression myself."

NoGenerics (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2016

For Depression "Today was the first day I have had to take this medicine, I have already experienced the dry mouth, & not really caring to eat. I am only 20 years old, I've made a lot of dramatic changes in my life in the past month, & I've dealt with depression for a while but was honestly scared to admit it. I have read very many reviews and I am nervous about it, but at the same time I'm pretty happy to see the positive reviews, I'm wanting to feel happy like I should, & do things I want to do without worrying about what thought will ruin my plans for that day. Prayers would be appreciated while I get use to being on this, & start learning if it's for me or not."

Hellokitty♡ April 30, 2016

For Depression "26 year old male. Been on it for 31 days. 1st week 150mg xl: high speedy energy. Mild insomnia (up till 3am most nights). Waking early and generally good mood. 2nd week 300mg xl. Very high constant anxiety. Emotional swings. Broke down in tears one day. 3rd week: Things were smoothing out. Still slightly anxious. Less emotional. 4th week: Feeling completely normal almost like I'm not on any medication. More level headed and better mood with less swings. Anxiety disappearing and confidence growing. No side effects. This is in combination with seeking help from a counselor, and confiding with a close friend of mine about how depressed I have been over the years. I am happy I took it. It has got me back on my feet and allowed me to seek help."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2016

For Depression "It takes about 2 weeks to feel Wellbutrin kick in and about a month for it to be full effect. I am on 300 mg a day and take it in the morning only. If you take it too late it will keep you awake. I am on other med for Bipolar that cause weight gain, but this med seems to be the opposite and has actually helped me lose weight. Sometimes the med "runs out" in the afternoon and you can kind of feel the let down. It works great for depression and would be good if used by itself for weight loss. Would recommend using it, but you have to be patient with it."

cash58 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 19, 2016

For Depression "I was put on this after attempting suicide and being diagnosed with depression, this medication definitely made me stable but I wouldn't necessarily say it was the best one for me. There was still many occasions that I would think about cutting and suicide, although I never took it upon myself to attempt again, I did cut multiple times while on this medication. It worked best for me when it was paired with Zoloft or Prozac."

Erin Lolos March 31, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Worse medication every. Dry mouth,headaches,nauseous, rashes on the skin.. I'm still dealing with the rashes on my skin,they come and go...."

Hey gurl (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2016

For Depression "I have been taking Wellbutrin 300 mg XL for over 10 years after a major depression. It was very effective at stabilizing my mood. It also helps with my mental concentration and focus. I tried the generic which didn't seem to work as well. I am under extreme stress with a challenging job and s difficult relationship (separated now) because of my partners alcohol abuse. I was very fearful of another episode but so far have managed to remain stable. I would be lost without it."

Skinker (taken for 10 years or more) March 10, 2016

For Depression "Just switched over to Wellbutrin and so far, so good. I had been on Zoloft for a year, following a diagnosis of depression. Zoloft was just awful for me. The entire time I was on it, I battled chronic fatigue, no libido whatsoever, some memory loss, nerve problems, vertigo...you name it. And on top of all of that I completely stopped working out and put on 30lbs in 10 months. Feel like I am back on the road to being me on Wellbutrin. 150mg XL seems to work for me. Thank God- I was prepared to swear off any and all antidepressants if this didn't work. Also, I haven't drank alcohol for going on 10 years, so if you're sober that eliminates one of the big drawbacks for a lot of people."

DenverGuy (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been taking this medication since August 2015, and it has been the best one for me yet. I started with Celexa then went to Zoloft, and Zoloft worked for a bit but once things began to get difficult again I had to switch to another one, which was Wellburtin. It helped with some minor ADD problems, and overall my energy and positivity went up. I also began going to therapy again, and I 100% recommend that you do go to therapy in conjunction with antidepressants. Understand that if you don't like your therapist go to another one. You have to trust them and be able to open up to them to allow them to help. Medication only lifts the fog from your mind, but therapy is what allows you to move on with your life and not feel like a zombie."

Rachram711 February 28, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "For the past five years I have been battling depression. I feel extremely fatigued and unmotivated with thoughts of wanting to be dead. Life is totally miserable most times. I went from Cymbalta to Wellbutrin and after a few weeks I started to feel alive again. After about a year on it now I am back to my old depressive ways and my doctor is reluctant to start me on something new. So right now I am miserable again and waiting for my doctor to try something different. I wish all the best to everyone out there fighting this terrible disease!"

rr828313 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 17, 2016

For Depression "I have anxiety and depression. I tried SSRIs and they just masked the depression and caused sexual side effects. Wellbutrin XL helped me feel much better and I didn't have negative sexual side effects. Best sex I've ever had on Wellbutrin XL. Now with the future I think about, feel optimistic about and am planning for it . I don't have anxiety like I had. I am more philosophical, "Tomorrow will be a better day. I'm motivated to accomplish things. I wish I had found this med years ago."

Optimistic Very February 17, 2016

For Depression "So, I'm 18 and I was prescribed this medication about a year ago, but it was the generic brand of Wellbutrion 100 mg. Now I am on Wellbutrin 150 mg. Ever since I have been on this medication, I have become so irritable with everything. I'm not sure why. But it seems like every little thing sets me off and I can't stand anyone. It's to the point that I'm starting to get I'm trouble with my parents, my boss at work, and even sometimes at school... I get so aggravated with everyone and everything. It has caused me very bad anxiety. I have an appointment scheduled with my psychiatrist in 3 days and I am going to be lowered off of this medication. It has been the worst experience with medications I've had. It's made me miserable!"

17 girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 16, 2016

For Depression "I read a lot of people saying that it's not working all that well for them, although I see one point in common here, it's only been 2 weeks. On some people it takes a little longer. I would say at least 3 to 4 weeks to get the full effect. Sometime you have to take a higher dosage. I'm at 200 mg now, and I see a difference. Talk to your doctor is 150 mg is not working for you.At the same time I have to admit, that at the beginning it's really hard regardless...so give time. Good luck everyone."

CLO2016 February 9, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "This has been a life saver! Totally changed my life. I have tried SSRI many kinds to deal with my MDD with horrible side effects/ only slight headaches with wellbutrin;) I am very pleased with the results. It's been almost 2 months no sludge on the brain!!! THANK YOU!! I am GRATEFUL!!"

Impressed (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I highly recommend Wellbutrin XL. I used to suffer from major depression, but thanks to the Wellbutrin, my depression is almost nonexistent. Another great thing about it is I don't have any side effects. In the beginning, I lost my appetite & everything tasted bland. I was fine with that because I wanted to lose some weight, but thanks to my other medications my appetite came back. Darn! Maybe if you take it & want to lose weight you will get lucky as long as you don't take other medications to counteract it."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 2, 2016

For Depression "I got on Wellbutrin Xl 150mg cause I was having a hard time with racing thoughts and depression . It's been two weeks and my anxiety went up from a 6 to like 100 it also makes me afraid I'll hurt my self when I get the strong anxiety feeling its weird. I also have been really shaky inside and nausea it's hard to eat I get so sick at my stomach which isn't so bad I need to lose some lbs . I told my doc and he is going to add abilify 2 mg to see if it helps . I haven't picked up the prescription yet till later today. I hope it helps . I just want to feel normal again enjoy life instead of dwelling on everything. "

Bettyblu (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2016

For Depression "I've been on this for about 6 weeks. So far it's working for depression. Much better than Zoloft was for me. With the Zoloft, I had no emotions. I was a drone just going through day to day. With Wellbutrin I'm not depressed (or at least not nearly as much), and I can actually feel joy again. Also, the weight loss is a plus. The cons to this medication is sometimes I have Cottonmouth, once in a while my hands shake (though this hasn't happened recently, could have just been when my body was adjusting. And it wasn't frequent), and I really have no appetite for breakfast or lunch (I need to force down my breakfast, and I'm just not hungry at lunch). I'm going to continue this medication for a while."

Klondike Blame January 16, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Wellbutrin was without a doubt the most effect antidepressant I've ever taken. Unfortunately, a month and a half into treatment on 150mg XL/day I started getting cystic acne. It was terrible and I knew it had to be the Wellbutrin so I looked online and noticed other people complaining about getting Acne as well. It was terrible, it only made my depression worse because I had this big cystic lumps on my face. A month after tapering off and taking antibiotics prescribed by my dermatologist it finally went away but I went back to being depressed."

Wibblet (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

For Depression "It is the best has really helped me I fill like my old self thank god for this medicine"

JMark c January 10, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have tried many different kinds of antidepressants but I must say that Wellbutrin XL300mg has been the best. I have been on it for 3 years. I am so much happier and just feel better in general. The only side effect I have had while taking it is dry mouth. I was always a calm, attentive student even before I had the medicine. But since I have been taking it so long, if I happen to miss one or more days of taking it, I act as if I have ADHD. I am unable to focus and talk like a Chatty Cathy. If you have ever seen a little seven year old with really bad ADHD.That's me. I will skip in place, bounce up and down, and what not. I have NEVER had ADHD or ADD (I am super calm), but if I don't take it I act like it. That's my one and only problem."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 7, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Bad bad side effects from Wellbutrin xl , major palpitations, dry dry mouth, crying, couldn't sit still, and panic . After taking for 2 weeks. Nausea is debilitating . Worse medication I have ever had , back on Paxil cr"

Buddy34 January 6, 2016

For Depression "I had weened off Effexor in October as I was tired of the side effects. I wanted to go the natural route with exercising and eating better to see if it would help. Unfortunately I have been going through a hard time and needed something to help me through this. I started on Wellbutrin XL , 150 mg, about 2 weeks ago. I honestly can't tell if it is helping or not. I feel about the same mood wise ...very sad, crying a lot, no appetite, sense of failure and no hope. I know things can't change immediately but was hoping I could be one of the individuals that experience positive results. Hope this changes eventually."

Phoebe Haliwell (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Recently I switched from Lexapro to Wellbrutrin XL due to what seemed to be decreased efficacy. I have never been so miserable in my life! After 2 weeks I was feeling dizzy and had vertigo which my doctor said should subside. The good news is that it did. The bad news is I started feeling tingling and numbness in my hands and feet. This feeling did not go away. I also experiences nausea, vomiting, severe agitation and general malaise. After 5 weeks of being on Wellbutrin I called my doctor and told her my symptoms. She has put me on Effexor but I can't start the medication till my symptoms go away which I hope will be soon cause I think my family has about had it with me this last month. I hope Effexor helps and soon! Take care everyone!"

beachcat71 January 2, 2016

For Depression "I've been on Wellbutrin XL 150mg for 7 weeks now (adult ADD and comorbid depression). I experienced some of the common side effects such as dry mouth and loss of appetite, but everything came back to normal after a few weeks. Sadly, I haven't noticed much change in terms of mood or attention/focus... It hasn't worsened but it hasn't improved either. Then again I know this is a low dose. I saw my doctor today and he switched my prescription to Wellbutrin XL 300mg. I'm starting tomorrow and I hope it will work better for me. I'm eager to give it another try since I've seen a lot of positive reviews on here :)"

Veronique23 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2015

For Depression "I am making this solely because I remember looking up reviews of antidepressants before I ever took one and being terrified of what my life might look like if I started taking one. I took Lexapro for 3 days and felt like a zombie, and swore off antidepressants. However, my depression continued. Thankfully my roommate who is also a 21 year old junior in college told me about her positive experience. I feel like a completely different person now. The first two weeks my emotions were all over the place, and my anxiety was high. Anxiety is still factor sometimes, but it gets less frequent every week. At 5 weeks on Wellbutrin my life has changed for the better. I finally feel like I can live the life that I was meant to. And I've lost weight!"

Dria (Guera) December 22, 2015