User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Topamax review summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Topamax to treat Migraine Prevention

Review by miramy:

I've been on Topamax for about 2 months now. I've went to having a migraine or headache of some sort everyday to 2 migraines in the past 2 months. The only thing I dont like about the medication is the severe tingling in my hands, feet, fingers, and lips.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 19, 2015 7:16 AM

Review by Blueearth:

Prescribed a half 50 mg tab at bedtime for a week. It's been two days and I have no more headaches! Finally! I have a strange side effect of pain in my private area though. Does anyone else have this issue? It's just annoying. I hope it doesn't get any worse. I've been looking for a migraine med that actually helps without too many side effects.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 5, 2015 1:43 AM

Review by Hobotodd:

I've been on Topamax for a month for basilar- type migraines which cause vertigo and headaches. Since being on 50mg of Topamax I've had 1 vertigo migraine attack when I had been getting them 5 days a week. This MEDICINE has made a huge difference for me. I also have noticed I have more energy and I'm just happier in general. I've lost some weight as well. I'm really happy I've found medication that works for me. I had some side effects like feeling out of it and tiredness for the first 2 weeks.

January 15, 2015 8:29 PM

Review by Kate1933:

I started taking Topamax about two and 1/2 weeks ago. In that two weeks I've lost close to 10 pounds. I've also had the tingling in my fingers and feet and toes. I've gotten tingling in my lips too. Other then tingling body parts, so far I love it and Ive gone from headaches every day to maybe 4 really small ones and one migraine.

January 8, 2015 11:39 PM

Review by Cris94:

I was prescribed this medicine for frequent migraines. The only bad experience I have had with it is a tingling sensation in my hands at times. It is not unbearable or any reason for me to stop taking the medication. I have been on the medication for a few months and have only had two migraines since I started the medicine.

January 8, 2015 9:49 PM

Review by Crystal1414:

I still get slight headaches once in a while, and use Excedrin Migraine with the Topamax, but its nothing compared to what I had. The side effects go away and the ones that don't, you get used to. I still have memory problems, so I had to lower the dose.

January 4, 2015 10:59 PM

Review by Mom of a sufferer (taken for 1 to 6 months):

We tried this for my daughter when she suddenly started getting migraines every day. Migraines down to 2 per week and less severe but when we tried increasing the dose side effects became intolerable: doesn't help her sleep at night yet makes her very tired all day, have to force her to eat, her legs tingle all the way up to her hip. She also has nightmares, and vivid dreams, even during the day. That was the last straw and we'll be trying something else. Real shame because we think it was helping.

December 22, 2014 9:51 PM

Review by Cherbear1987:

I fell four feet backwards off of a straight truck and whacked the back if my head off of a concrete parking lot and gave my self a concussion. Long story short, I have had a rough go at the post concussion symptoms and the migraine/cluster like headaches have played a MAJOR role. Theres days where I just lay around in the dark and do nothing. The pounding just takes over and that's all that matters. You are not even you anymore. I was prescribed Topamax on Nov.18th and started one week on 25mg. Nothing changed. Then two weeks on 50mg, again nothing changed. This is my third week on 100mg and I am FINALLY migraine free. The side effects do wear off after time. You just have to give this medicine time. Worth it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 22, 2014 7:25 AM

Review by melodie143:

I started taking topamax a year ago and it helped with my visual migraines. I had the side affects such as; delayed speech, confusion, numbness, carbonated drinks are horrible tasting, dizziness, all the normal side affects... But they only lasted a few weeks. I'm at 100mg a day now, 50 in the morning and 50 at night. Now the side effects don't bother me at all. I haven't lost not one pound so I'm not sure what the weight loss is about. I actually gained 10! Overall its doing its purpose.

December 19, 2014 8:07 PM

Review by InspectorMO:

I just started taking 25 mg of Topamax twice per day, yesterday evening! I had not read any of these reviews, and after my very first dose, I had a carbonated drink and it tasted flat on the front of my tongue, but burned the back! I thought it was a fluke, but, it happened today, too. This will definitely help me drink more water! I have started having tingly fingers and toes, but no other symptoms, yet. I already have brain fog due to menopause, so I'm a little worried about that! I have been having 4 or 5 migraines per week lately and I take sumitriptan for them which usually works. I also take an anti-anxiety medicine and an ADD medicine, so we'll see how all of these work together! I am thankful for all of your reviews!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 10, 2014 12:52 PM

Review by MissBettaFishy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

After 7 years of debilitating migraines almost daily and rebound headaches from taking Excedrin and ibuprofen, I finally found a doctor that was willing to help me. She suggested Topamax and just in this short period of a couple months, there's been a significant difference. Not only am I rarely having pain, I feel less anxious and more balanced out emotionally as well. Even friends and co-workers can see the difference in my mood! As for side effects, I experienced the tingling in my hands, feet and face but my Dr. mentioned taking a Multi vitamin each day, which has seemed to help. Also been drinking LOTS of water, to counteract the major dry mouth. Overall, Topamax has been more of an effective, positive experience for me than anything.

December 6, 2014 7:53 AM

Review by Mlarae (taken for less than 1 month):

Prevented migraines, but made me want to cry all the time and made me a raging lunatic at the same time.

December 4, 2014 12:41 AM

Review by that girl that gets migraines daily:

I've been prescribed this medication twice. Each time I took a tablet I got sick and nauseous. It increased my migraines and the pain I was experiencing. I refuse to use this medication, and my nurse practitioner refuses to try any new medication on me. I am forced to live a migraine infused life style and live with the pain.

December 1, 2014 12:55 AM

Review by Nomoreforme:

I started taking Topamax about 3 years ago. Began at 25mg a day for a week. The second week I was supposed to move up to 50, the third week 2 75mg and then finally to 100mg on the fourth week. I never really had to move past 25mg. My migraines all but stopped after a month of being on the medication and at the lowest dose. I had all the side effects - tingling, weight loss (very happy about it too), forgetting certain words and the nasty taste of soda. That was okay because I only drink it very rarely anyway. I was getting 1-2 migraines a week and now, I may have 1-2 a year. Most of the side effect seemed to have faded with time as well. Very, very pleased with this medication.

November 10, 2014 4:31 PM

Review by Amanda919 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Worked wonderful to get rid of my headaches! For the first time in nine years I didn't have daily headaches. The side effects were awful though!! Ringing in the ears, dizziness, flushing, numb face/hands/arms/feet, the list goes on and on. My doctor had to wean me off of it.

October 14, 2014 11:07 PM

Review by usmcwife0341 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on Topamax for about 5 months now (100 am/100 pm) and finally giving up faith. The negative side effects outweigh the slight change in my migraines. Carbonated beverages taste terrible, I have to force myself to eat, I stutter constantly, I can never find the right words and often switch up words in a sentence. My memory is horrid, and I always see tracers, which is enough to drive anyone crazy. The only pluses are the slight decrease in consistency of my migraines and the weight loss.

September 11, 2014 4:50 PM

I've been on Topamax for about a week now great results. carbonated drinks taste horrible little confused in class but overall its a Lifesaver. My migraines had me suicidal.

September 9, 2014 11:02 AM

Review by Wonder medication! (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I've been taking Topamax (brand) for approximately ten years. Due to severe migraines this was the only medication to prevent what had been dabilitating headaches, nausea & vomiting, sensitivity to light, smell, sound, movement, and dizziness. After several years, my insurance refused to continue payment of the brand until I tried the generic tablets. After 3 days, the original symptoms returned. They finally approved continued payment of brand and now two years later they again have refused to cover (pay) for medication although it falls under the plan. For three months, my neurologist and I have issued appeals with no clear explanation of the denial. I would just like to again take meds to rid myself of this pain.

August 20, 2014 10:32 PM

Review by Sam2287:

Took a 50 mg last night before bedtime for the 1st time. Woke up like a zombie, my top lip numb, in a fog, soda taste metallic. I can't function on this medicine. I function better with migraines. I am a receptionist, and about to fall asleep at my desk.

August 14, 2014 8:43 AM

By the time I started Topamax, I was getting migraines 2-4 days a week. Topamax seemed like the best fix. And for a while, it was. My migraines significantly reduced, though I did get most of the common side effects: slight tingling in my fingers, carbonated beverages tasted gross, and weight loss. My main warning about this medicine is weight loss. It seems to be paraded as a benefit, and to some it may be, but if you are already naturally slim, pay very close attention. I wound up dropping to an unhealthy weight despite all attempts to counter it, and it's ultimately why I had to stop Topamax. I was unwillingly wasting away. When I stopped, my migraines returned in short order, and I'm still looking for an alternative that works.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 16, 2014 11:00 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been taking Topamax for 2 years now after trying many different medications. Yes I got some of the side effect mainly thought process was slow and word confusion that was real frustrating it is worse under stress. The all over tingling is not as bad anymore but not have headaches every day, you have to weigh you options.

July 13, 2014 3:17 PM

Review by DIANA FORD (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I used it for migraines. My side effects were: depression, dehydration, impaired thinking, confusion, drowsiness, memory problems, nervousness, trouble in concentrating, weakness, loss of appetite, vertigo, and SEVERE ANXIETY. After stopping this medication, I still suffer from severe anxiety and vertigo.

June 10, 2014 7:18 PM

Review by allisanderson (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Works extremely well to prevent my migraines.

May 24, 2014 7:26 PM

Review by RJinVegas:

Wow, what a roller coaster ride! Started on 25mg, no effect, then 50, 200 finally 400. It did stop the cluster headaches, but Extreme confusion, serious loss of hearing, forgetfulness, couldn't remember my phone number! My wife wouldn't let me drive at 400mg, I was dangerous, parking became very difficult, once I had to get out of the car and let her park. Frustrating and humiliating. In the end, I was down to 50mg a day, Doc said that wasn't causing any side effects at that low dose. WRONG! When I finally stopped, it took a couple of weeks to become me again. I was shocked at the difference it made being off of it. Some of my hearing came back thankfully. I did lose 30 pounds that did not come back.

May 4, 2014 3:05 PM

Review by mrs.thrompson (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've been taking Topamax for about 2 years now, 100 mg a day. I have severe chronic migraines due to my spinal cord. So my doctor put me on this medication. The only side effect I've had was the tingling but I get that anyways even before this medication so who knows if it was a side effect. But it works ok for me when I take it regularly but I also have focal seizures so this medication is for both of my problems. But I always take it with my hydrocodone so my migraines are fine.

May 4, 2014 1:52 PM