User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Topamax Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 60 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Topamax to treat Migraine Prevention

"I didn't use it long enough to see if it would prevent my monthly migraine but I wanted to share the side effects I experienced. I started with 25 milligrams twice a day for 7 days and felt ok but did experience some tingling in my feet and fingers. Then I increased to 50 milligrams twice a day per doctor's order and things really changed. I started having the craziest dreams every night. Tingling was very pronounced every day in feet and hands. I couldn't get out of bed easily. I felt very lethargic and really like a zombie. I kind of had a flat affect and felt very robotic at times. Other times I was very depressed and irritable or even angry. I stopped taking it. Also was hungry all the time. That was not normal for me at all."

DDIndiana (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2016

"I am taking 25mg in morning. Working up to 100mg over few weeks going up 25mg every 2weeks, iv only been taking it 4days and tbh only thing I've noticed was first day felt rough but since I've felt the odd nausea no other side effects, maybe because I've been so busy haven't noticed them, I'm actually lookin forward to upping dosage, I want to prevent migraines I dunno why I didn't go get help sooner I've suffered for years, but to me being overweight I'm also hoping itl help with the weightloss I've been struggling to lose for over 4yrs I'm fit and healthy and regular exercise and healthy eater yet can't shift so hoping this helps"

clog April 2, 2016

"I take 25mg in the morning and 50 at night. Within the first two weeks of taking it, I tried to commit suicide, I was fighting major depression at the time too. By week four the feeling went away. Took 2-3 months for the fingers and toes to stop tingling but I had that in the toes any ways from nerve damage in the back. They increased my evening dose and within two weeks again I tried to commit suicide again. This time twice in one week and within a month I stabilized again. My doctor will not raise it anymore even though I just begged her to, it's only day 7-21 that I need to be watched and the last time, I called my sister to take me to the hospital the second attempt.I didn't lose weight on it."

lunarminx (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 31, 2016

"This is the worst drug I've ever taken. It gave me horrible tremors, anxiety, & a guilt complex."

464168281 March 11, 2016

"It lessened the frequency of my migraines. But the side effects are not worth the relief it provided. It turned me into a zombie. I didn't care about anything. I couldn't even taste my food! And the worst part was it robbed me of my ability to be alarmed by the growing severity of my depression and other serious symptoms. After three months, I was GLAD to detox. 4 days clean and I can almost taste sugar again. Can't wait til the brain fog lifts."

Sheryl M. February 9, 2016

"Horrible medication with tons of side effects. I have tried this stuff twice over a 15 year period and this time was much worse....all the side effects listed I got to experience within two weeks of taking this drug with slow introduction. And I still got migraines even while taking it...and now I have to take eye medication on top of wheezing, felt like puking, dizzy, edgy and wanting to kill myself. Throw this one in the waste basket and try the alternatives before touching this stuff."

Hutch77 February 7, 2016

"This medicine gave me a kidney stone. They don't run in my family and I have never had one before. The kidney stone got stuck and after several of the most painful weeks of my life thus far I had to have surgery to get it removed. I would gladly suffer from migraines then to ever experience a kidney stone."

annette7878 January 23, 2016

"It has been 1 year and I'm still suffering from the side effects of this awful medicine. I was put on this because of severe migraines that was shutting down the left side of my body top to bottom. I was only taking 1/2 a pill for 2 weeks which in turn gave me kidney stones. The stones in turn tore my ureter so now I have had 1 blockage from scar tissue and the scar tissue is growing back again. My Ureter has narrowed and now going through all the blood work to see how much my kidney is damaged and different procedures for my tube. I take no meds for migraines now I have been seeing an acupuncturist. As far as migraines I have none as long as I have acupuncture."

mellynn December 16, 2015

"Topamax is by far the best migraine preventative I have ever tried. I take 100mg at night and have even been on 200mg - 1 100mg in the AM and 1 100mg in the PM. My neurologist and I discussed Topamax and figured it was worth a shot since my chronic, daily migraines were uncontrollable and I was getting Imitrex injections almost every week and could no longer take Toradol. Unlike other people, I have very few side effects. I weaned off Topamax once to try Gabapentin but it by itself wasn't enough and my migraines returned full force. Very few side effects: trouble finding words, thirst, and weight lose (not that I mind). Topamax is a wonderful drug and a LIFESAVER. It and my Gabapentin together is my divine combo!"

OodlesOPoodles (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 28, 2015

"I swear, this stuff almost ruined my life. I am a veteran who suffers from anxiety and chronic migraines from an injury in Iraq. The VA (my neurologist) had me try this drug to see if it would help me with the migraines. After about a month I noticed that I couldn't concentrate, and I'd began to effect my studies badly. My anxiety was the worst it had ever been and I was slipping into a depression. I had no idea what was wrong g with me. The VA gave me (a person who suffers from anxiety) a medication that makes you stupid, and wrecked havoc on my mind without warning me about any potential side effects. I had to process the change on my own, figure out what was wrong with me, and ween myself off the pills. Use with extreme caution!"

Fergus82airborne November 22, 2015

"I was taking this medication for over two years had to stop it because my memory is terrible. Places I have been going for over ten years I forgot where they were and how to get there. This medicine has messed up my life, even after I stopped it my memory still hasn't returned. I deal with this everyday and it scares me so bad. I have to write things down everyday in order to remember. It did help with my headaches a little but if I had read up on this medication before I started I can promise you I would not have taken it."

dimples1621 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 11, 2015

"I have suffered hormonal migraines since my early 20's (now early 40's). I had tried most everything for migraines and they were still coming and starting to cluster. I was put onto Topirmirate by my GP at the recommendation of the specialist I saw after plan A stopped working after 6 months. I had some extremity tingling for about 6 weeks when I first started (I was slowly built up to 100mg daily dose). In the interest of full disclosure I am also a type 1 diabetic so I am monitored pretty closely for sight and kidney function and I have had no issues around this. I have also started taking an anti depressant to combat a hormone imbalance issue so I don't get the mood swings either."

CalmB (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 10, 2015

"The 2 weeks I was taking topamax ended up being the worst 2 weeks of my life. I was started on this med on Wednesday. By Monday, I was half-way through my day at work when I got lightheaded, dizzy, a terrible headache and started experiencing left sided numbness/tingling. Nearly wrecked and ended up in the ER where they diagnosed migraines. Was sent home to have a headache with left side weakness/numbness, confusion, foggy feeling for the next 2 weeks. 5 doctors appts, 2 ER visits, 1 outpatient infusion for migraines, and 1 admission to the hospital later. I finally figured out on MY OWN that when I stopped taking topamax, my symptoms got better. Although they are still not gone. My vision has changed as well as other long term effects."

AH0811 (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2015

"I've read many of the poor reviews, and wonder how many refer to the generic version of Topamax. I can't use the generic version - it simply doesn't work for me, and I do recall more side effects. However, the brand name drug has been a lifesaver for me. I suffered with chronic daily migraine for over a decade before being placed on Topamax, and NO other drug helped. I was on beta blockers, calcium channel blockers, every medication for seizure disorders, and talk about side effects! They were horrific! I could barely function at work, missed lots of time, and essentially had no life. Topamax has made a major difference. I now have many fewer migraines, rarely contend with chronic daily migraine, and I've experienced no major side effects"

Migraine Lynn (taken for 10 years or more) November 3, 2015

"I felt compelled to write a review, as I was on topamax (or should I say dopamax?!) for about 2 years. I started this medication when I was 21 and was so desperate to find something that would actually help my on-going migraines. Personally, the side effect symptoms FAR outweighed the benefits. I started out on 25mg a day and gradually increased to 100mg. As soon as I got on this, the side effects came rolling in. Before I knew it my memory was completely gone. In daily conversation I couldn't think of simple words, names or phrases. I knew what I wanted to say but couldn't form the words to do so. The worst of all, it really affected my grades in college. I used to have awesome memorization skills. Unfortunately I would study for hours upon hours, and still wouldn't do well as I would have "brain fog" during tests, etc. Another side effect I experienced was weight loss. I lost around 25 lbs., HOWEVER I don't believe all of this was ultimately from topamax. I'd definitely say it suppressed my appetite, but I really changed my eating habits and worked out daily. It helped with my first few pounds and got me motivated to do the rest. On the plus side, I saw a significant difference in the amount of migraines I received. It was a night and day difference in that aspect. However, approaching a year and a half on this medication I couldn't take it anymore and had to get off. It wasn't worth it anymore. I don't think tapering off or stopping cold turkey on this really makes a difference. My mom stopped cold turkey and I tapered off, as my doctor instructed me. I rebounded off this HORRIBLY, as did my mom. I was STARVING constantly after no longer taking it. This didn't just go away either. My body didn't feel levelled out and "detoxed" of this for honestly about a year after. I not only gained back all my weight I lost, but plus some. Although everyone's body reacts differently, I highly do NOT recommend taking this. Not even for those desperate for weight loss. Losing weight from a medication like this is not sustainable long term. I'm 24 now and am still affected by my choice of taking this. Topamax has ultimately ruined my memory to this day. I still cannot remember words or things. It changed me. Do not take this! There are other answers out there."

Marie37381 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 31, 2015

"I've had migraines on and off for over a decade, and they're increasing with perimenopause. My new doctor had me try generic Topamax, starting with 25 mg for the first week, then increase to 100 mg, half in the morning and half in the evening. The first week went all right, though I had a migraine all through it. I had a second prescription for Sumatriptan to help. But 100 mg was... horrid. Tired, could hardly get out of bed, brain fog, physical fatigue (very evident at the gym), thirsty. After only 2 weeks I'm tapering off and seeing my doctor again to try something else."

WillametteBearcat October 30, 2015

"I take 50mg at night because of drowsiness. The medication did help me with my migraines , I've only had a few since I started the medication. My side effects include, tingling in hands and feet, Red eyes, But the worst is the brain fog, trying to remember the simplest things are tough. I have also noticed that I get angry about stuff more than I used to."

Anonymous October 28, 2015

"First week ok. Dizzy first day. Overwhelming sense of wellness for the first week, minus dizzy feeling. I thought this is great. When I increased the dose as prescribed the second week I developed a headache the next day. Had pains in my abdomen, all throughout my back. Continued for 2 more weeks then my body shut down, had the worst migraine that lasted 2 days. I slept for 4 days. Then muscle weekness, nausea, and persistent headache. My bladder was painful and felt like I could not empty it. Three days off them, I can finally stand up straight, but I lost a week of work. Might have been ok if dose was not increased."

Lor26 (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2015

"I took Topamax a few years ago and regret it. It has changed my life for the worse. Even after stopping the meds several years ago, I still have bad brain fog, loss of vision, memory loss especially short term, lost the ability to comprehend things and lost ability to do simple functions such as basic math. Prior to taking this medicine I was at the top of my game. Now I feel helpless and the doctors were no help. My vision changed after it, mind you I had lasik eye surgery and could see perfectly fine prior to this. It's frustrating because I have to do things differently now and it's embarrassing because people look at you like something wrong since you can't do simple things a 2 year old can do!"

Unique7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 25, 2015

"I seemed to catch everything while I was on this rx. First it was a really bad cold, next I could not seem to heal from surgery for deviated septum - my ENT was stumped, then later I caught the flu while the rest of my family seemed fine. Also during this 6 month period I had a couple of sinus infections. Eventually, I knew something was very wrong. I started searching the Internet for immunity issues and topiramate, and I got a couple of hits from blogs where women about my age (40s) claimed that topiramate had wrecked their immunity. Alas, my search (and problem) was over because I knew exactly what they meant by "wrecked my immunity". Within a few short weeks of ceasing the use of topiramate, my health returned. Please beware!"

GPC71 September 14, 2015

"I was getting 10-12 migraines a month when I was prescribed Topamax. I took it for a little over a month but had to quit because it made me extremely depressed and suicidal. After I stopped taking it, I felt fine again."

IdahoMt September 11, 2015

"I cannot recommend this medication. Yes it did prevent migraines but the side-effects far outweighed the benefit. My doctor put me on a gradual increase in dosage and I was unable to get past the first week. After a couple of days I lost control of my own thoughts and focused on every negative I my mind could come up with. My work was impacted. I work in an accounting office and lost my ability to count and remember the alphabet. Not to mention I would stop talking in mid-sentence quite often. I knew what I needed to say but my mouth just wouldn't do it. My short term memory was non-existent and I decided to stop taking this medication after I forgot where I was driving to on my way to work; the same place I've been to for the last 9 years."

SP87 September 10, 2015

"I have not had good luck with this medicine. The side effects were horrible at first but they did settle down and mostly disappeared after 4 or 5 months on the medication. If you're just starting it, give it some time and the side effects will go away, but for me it never helped lessen or decrease my migraines so now my doc has given me Amitriptyline to try so I'm hoping I have better luck with this one!!"

Krista123456 September 9, 2015

"I started having migraines a week after starting the birth control pill as a teen. Over the years (I'm now 55) I have tried many drugs for the treatment of or prevention of migraines. I get the classic vascular migraine with an aura each time I get a migraine. I finally was prescribed Topamax as a preventative, the final dose that worked was 75mg in am and 75mg in pm. My migraines went from daily to MAYBE once a month. I took this for 3 years at least. I was just at the point of quitting it when I lost my job so I had no choice. The reason I was quitting it was that I lost SO MUCH WEIGHT that I looked anorexic! And soon realized that my memory was HORRIBLE!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 7, 2015

"This is the 2nd time in 10 yrs a neurologist has put me on Topomax. I am on 125 mg a day. The side effects are horrible and the migraines are worse than ever. Neuro refuses to take me off it after I have told him I do not like this drug or its many side effects. I was told I was a lost cause."

valliejo (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2015