Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Topamax review summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Topamax to treat Migraine Prevention

Review by Bibi15:

My neurologists prescribed me Topamax to prevent migraines 4 days ago. The first night I took the the pill I had HORRIBLE side effects (tingling and numbness for hours). The following night I decided to take my vitamins (which I didn't do the night before) and I didn't experience the same side effects. Not sure if it helped, but I make sure I take them every single day!! The only side effect that I get is slight tingling in my hands occasionally.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 2, 2015 6:25 PM

Review by was cautiously optomistic (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I tried it for 1 month. I drank tons of water. I was extremely tired all day, but could not sleep through the night. Kidneys constantly felt like I was getting stones. I felt bruised for weeks after cessation. I would rather have a migraine!

April 18, 2015 5:58 PM

Review by Smeece:

I have been on generic 25mg daily dose for a week now for migraines. Positive is that I finally have a break in the migraine of 8 plus days, no tingling in extremities as others mentioned. No additional mental fog. Cola taste flat and that is a plus to me as I need to drink more water. Negative is the nausea that occurs after I take the pill and it is horrible but I counter it with a suppository of phenegrin(sp). Of course that knocks me out for hours. I was to increase dosage to 50mg but doctor gave okay to wait another week. This is a promising option for me after 16 yrs of suffering. And I have tried numerous meds over that time.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2015 12:29 AM

Review by eisley (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Started 100mg at bedtime (in case of drowsiness) because I was waking up with 3 migraines/week. Later we added 25mg in the morning to prevent afternoon migraines. My headaches have gradually improved, not just in frequency but also in intensity. Only side effects have been weight loss (about 10-15 lb, and it seems to have levelled out there, which is fine; I'm a relatively small person) and paresthesia/tingles in my hands & face. Tingling is more frequent in cold weather, but it's not bad enough to make me quit, especially not with the benefits I'm experiencing. There's been a bit of research into its use for mood disorders, which I have. I'm on other meds for that, but I wonder if the topiramate is having any extra little benefit there.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 7, 2015 6:36 PM

Review by jamesconley19 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 19 year old active kid that exercises 4-6 times a week and suddenly after years of working out some migraines began in the gym that didn't go away for 3 months. All day everyday, constant migraines. I had to stop working out, got fat and lost all my gains. I started 25 mg topamax at the same time with chiropractic care (found in neck x-ray abnormal lordotic curve) and started treatment every week. A week later of both of these combined, the migraines are finally gone! but my head still throbs except with no pain.. I am just happy I can finally exercise again, and stop hating life. (Got CT Scan and MRI of head before X-ray of neck, was clear {checked neck because it got stiffer a month into migraines} ) NO SIDE EFFECTS! :-)

April 3, 2015 5:40 PM

Topamax is truly a lifesaver I have been on this for many years now for migraine prevention, and I to would get the "pins and needles" tingle sinsation in hands and feet. I've found A daily multivitamin helps with that, and believe it or not, prenatal vitamins take it completely away. I hope this helps!

March 24, 2015 10:35 PM

Review by Ladylisa1313:

I've been on Topamax for quite a few months now, and I love it for the most part! I have only had the occasional minor headache, but the side effects are good/bad. The good ones in my book are the weight loss and carbonated beverages and other sweet things tasting horrible. The bad side effects are tingling, usually in my fingers and confusion/'blonde moments" but those are usually more pronounced the more tired I am. I can live with the bad side effects so much easier than I can a migraine everyday!

March 23, 2015 12:54 PM

Review by Heather Tillmann (taken for less than 1 month):

Topamax saved my life! I'm currently on 25 mg and will go up if needed. I woke up every single day from a headache. It literally got to the point where I didn't want to wake up. The only side effect I had was nausea for about 3 days but it was gone after that. It took about a week to it to start working for me. I haven't been so happy in my entire life! Headaches controlled my life but not anymore!

February 27, 2015 1:51 PM

Review by Westmichigan (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Life long migraines that were becoming more severe and frequent with age. I was getting up to 10 attacks per month and using Relpax to stop the pain. Doctor had me try Topamax 2x per day everyday. Attacks stopped immediately - it's been amazing. There have been some side effects that took time to get used to, but as compared to the migraine pain I would take the side effects any day. If you're a life long sufferer looking at a maintenance medicine, I would recommend trying it.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 19, 2015 8:23 PM

Review by miramy:

I've been on Topamax for about 2 months now. I've went to having a migraine or headache of some sort everyday to 2 migraines in the past 2 months. The only thing I dont like about the medication is the severe tingling in my hands, feet, fingers, and lips.

February 19, 2015 7:16 AM

Review by Blueearth:

Prescribed a half 50 mg tab at bedtime for a week. It's been two days and I have no more headaches! Finally! I have a strange side effect of pain in my private area though. Does anyone else have this issue? It's just annoying. I hope it doesn't get any worse. I've been looking for a migraine med that actually helps without too many side effects.

February 5, 2015 1:43 AM

Review by Swarren91:

I've been on Topamax for almost 2 months now. My migraines were out of control and this has definitely helped them some and I'm extremely grateful for that. However, the side effects hit me really really hard! In the beginning, the pins and needles in my hands and feet were so, so bad. I would wake up in the middle of the night yelling about how bad my feet hurt, because they woke me up. I had trouble touching things and picking things up because of the pins and needles in my hands (and occasionally still do). And for a while I was really, really spacey and slurred a lot of words and couldn't hold a conversation or do much of anything. I go back to the doctor soon for my follow up appointment, so I guess we'll see what happens.

January 16, 2015 1:24 AM

Review by Hobotodd:

I've been on Topamax for a month for basilar- type migraines which cause vertigo and headaches. Since being on 50mg of Topamax I've had 1 vertigo migraine attack when I had been getting them 5 days a week. This MEDICINE has made a huge difference for me. I also have noticed I have more energy and I'm just happier in general. I've lost some weight as well. I'm really happy I've found medication that works for me. I had some side effects like feeling out of it and tiredness for the first 2 weeks.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 15, 2015 8:29 PM

Review by Kate1933:

I started taking Topamax about two and 1/2 weeks ago. In that two weeks I've lost close to 10 pounds. I've also had the tingling in my fingers and feet and toes. I've gotten tingling in my lips too. Other then tingling body parts, so far I love it and Ive gone from headaches every day to maybe 4 really small ones and one migraine.

January 8, 2015 11:39 PM

Review by Cris94:

I was prescribed this medicine for frequent migraines. The only bad experience I have had with it is a tingling sensation in my hands at times. It is not unbearable or any reason for me to stop taking the medication. I have been on the medication for a few months and have only had two migraines since I started the medicine.

January 8, 2015 9:49 PM

Review by Crystal1414:

I still get slight headaches once in a while, and use Excedrin Migraine with the Topamax, but its nothing compared to what I had. The side effects go away and the ones that don't, you get used to. I still have memory problems, so I had to lower the dose.

January 4, 2015 10:59 PM

Review by Mom of a sufferer (taken for 1 to 6 months):

We tried this for my daughter when she suddenly started getting migraines every day. Migraines down to 2 per week and less severe but when we tried increasing the dose side effects became intolerable: doesn't help her sleep at night yet makes her very tired all day, have to force her to eat, her legs tingle all the way up to her hip. She also has nightmares, and vivid dreams, even during the day. That was the last straw and we'll be trying something else. Real shame because we think it was helping.

December 22, 2014 9:51 PM

Review by Cherbear1987:

I fell four feet backwards off of a straight truck and whacked the back if my head off of a concrete parking lot and gave my self a concussion. Long story short, I have had a rough go at the post concussion symptoms and the migraine/cluster like headaches have played a MAJOR role. Theres days where I just lay around in the dark and do nothing. The pounding just takes over and that's all that matters. You are not even you anymore. I was prescribed Topamax on Nov.18th and started one week on 25mg. Nothing changed. Then two weeks on 50mg, again nothing changed. This is my third week on 100mg and I am FINALLY migraine free. The side effects do wear off after time. You just have to give this medicine time. Worth it.

December 22, 2014 7:25 AM

Review by melodie143:

I started taking topamax a year ago and it helped with my visual migraines. I had the side affects such as; delayed speech, confusion, numbness, carbonated drinks are horrible tasting, dizziness, all the normal side affects... But they only lasted a few weeks. I'm at 100mg a day now, 50 in the morning and 50 at night. Now the side effects don't bother me at all. I haven't lost not one pound so I'm not sure what the weight loss is about. I actually gained 10! Overall its doing its purpose.

December 19, 2014 8:07 PM

Review by InspectorMO:

I just started taking 25 mg of Topamax twice per day, yesterday evening! I had not read any of these reviews, and after my very first dose, I had a carbonated drink and it tasted flat on the front of my tongue, but burned the back! I thought it was a fluke, but, it happened today, too. This will definitely help me drink more water! I have started having tingly fingers and toes, but no other symptoms, yet. I already have brain fog due to menopause, so I'm a little worried about that! I have been having 4 or 5 migraines per week lately and I take sumitriptan for them which usually works. I also take an anti-anxiety medicine and an ADD medicine, so we'll see how all of these work together! I am thankful for all of your reviews!

December 10, 2014 12:52 PM

Review by MissBettaFishy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

After 7 years of debilitating migraines almost daily and rebound headaches from taking Excedrin and ibuprofen, I finally found a doctor that was willing to help me. She suggested Topamax and just in this short period of a couple months, there's been a significant difference. Not only am I rarely having pain, I feel less anxious and more balanced out emotionally as well. Even friends and co-workers can see the difference in my mood! As for side effects, I experienced the tingling in my hands, feet and face but my Dr. mentioned taking a Multi vitamin each day, which has seemed to help. Also been drinking LOTS of water, to counteract the major dry mouth. Overall, Topamax has been more of an effective, positive experience for me than anything.

December 6, 2014 7:53 AM

Review by Mlarae (taken for less than 1 month):

Prevented migraines, but made me want to cry all the time and made me a raging lunatic at the same time.

December 4, 2014 12:41 AM

Review by that girl that gets migraines daily:

I've been prescribed this medication twice. Each time I took a tablet I got sick and nauseous. It increased my migraines and the pain I was experiencing. I refuse to use this medication, and my nurse practitioner refuses to try any new medication on me. I am forced to live a migraine infused life style and live with the pain.

December 1, 2014 12:55 AM

Review by Nomoreforme:

I started taking Topamax about 3 years ago. Began at 25mg a day for a week. The second week I was supposed to move up to 50, the third week 2 75mg and then finally to 100mg on the fourth week. I never really had to move past 25mg. My migraines all but stopped after a month of being on the medication and at the lowest dose. I had all the side effects - tingling, weight loss (very happy about it too), forgetting certain words and the nasty taste of soda. That was okay because I only drink it very rarely anyway. I was getting 1-2 migraines a week and now, I may have 1-2 a year. Most of the side effect seemed to have faded with time as well. Very, very pleased with this medication.

November 10, 2014 4:31 PM

Review by Amanda919 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Worked wonderful to get rid of my headaches! For the first time in nine years I didn't have daily headaches. The side effects were awful though!! Ringing in the ears, dizziness, flushing, numb face/hands/arms/feet, the list goes on and on. My doctor had to wean me off of it.

October 14, 2014 11:07 PM