User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Topamax review summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Topamax to treat Migraine Prevention

Review by Hobotodd:

I've been on Topamax for a month for basilar- type migraines which cause vertigo and headaches. Since being on 50mg of Topamax I've had 1 vertigo migraine attack when I had been getting them 5 days a week. This MEDICINE has made a huge difference for me. I also have noticed I have more energy and I'm just happier in general. I've lost some weight as well. I'm really happy I've found medication that works for me. I had some side effects like feeling out of it and tiredness for the first 2 weeks.

January 15, 2015 8:29 PM

Review by Kate1933:

I started taking Topamax about two and 1/2 weeks ago. In that two weeks I've lost close to 10 pounds. I've also had the tingling in my fingers and feet and toes. I've gotten tingling in my lips too. Other then tingling body parts, so far I love it and Ive gone from headaches every day to maybe 4 really small ones and one migraine.

January 8, 2015 11:39 PM

Review by Cris94:

I was prescribed this medicine for frequent migraines. The only bad experience I have had with it is a tingling sensation in my hands at times. It is not unbearable or any reason for me to stop taking the medication. I have been on the medication for a few months and have only had two migraines since I started the medicine.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2015 9:49 PM

Review by Crystal1414:

I still get slight headaches once in a while, and use Excedrin Migraine with the Topamax, but its nothing compared to what I had. The side effects go away and the ones that don't, you get used to. I still have memory problems, so I had to lower the dose.

January 4, 2015 10:59 PM

Review by Mom of a sufferer (taken for 1 to 6 months):

We tried this for my daughter when she suddenly started getting migraines every day. Migraines down to 2 per week and less severe but when we tried increasing the dose side effects became intolerable: doesn't help her sleep at night yet makes her very tired all day, have to force her to eat, her legs tingle all the way up to her hip. She also has nightmares, and vivid dreams, even during the day. That was the last straw and we'll be trying something else. Real shame because we think it was helping.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 22, 2014 9:51 PM

Review by melodie143:

I started taking topamax a year ago and it helped with my visual migraines. I had the side affects such as; delayed speech, confusion, numbness, carbonated drinks are horrible tasting, dizziness, all the normal side affects... But they only lasted a few weeks. I'm at 100mg a day now, 50 in the morning and 50 at night. Now the side effects don't bother me at all. I haven't lost not one pound so I'm not sure what the weight loss is about. I actually gained 10! Overall its doing its purpose.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2014 8:07 PM

Review by Mlarae (taken for less than 1 month):

Prevented migraines, but made me want to cry all the time and made me a raging lunatic at the same time.

December 4, 2014 12:41 AM

Review by that girl that gets migraines daily:

I've been prescribed this medication twice. Each time I took a tablet I got sick and nauseous. It increased my migraines and the pain I was experiencing. I refuse to use this medication, and my nurse practitioner refuses to try any new medication on me. I am forced to live a migraine infused life style and live with the pain.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 1, 2014 12:55 AM

Review by Nomoreforme:

I started taking Topamax about 3 years ago. Began at 25mg a day for a week. The second week I was supposed to move up to 50, the third week 2 75mg and then finally to 100mg on the fourth week. I never really had to move past 25mg. My migraines all but stopped after a month of being on the medication and at the lowest dose. I had all the side effects - tingling, weight loss (very happy about it too), forgetting certain words and the nasty taste of soda. That was okay because I only drink it very rarely anyway. I was getting 1-2 migraines a week and now, I may have 1-2 a year. Most of the side effect seemed to have faded with time as well. Very, very pleased with this medication.

November 10, 2014 4:31 PM

Review by Amanda919 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Worked wonderful to get rid of my headaches! For the first time in nine years I didn't have daily headaches. The side effects were awful though!! Ringing in the ears, dizziness, flushing, numb face/hands/arms/feet, the list goes on and on. My doctor had to wean me off of it.

October 14, 2014 11:07 PM

Review by usmcwife0341 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on Topamax for about 5 months now (100 am/100 pm) and finally giving up faith. The negative side effects outweigh the slight change in my migraines. Carbonated beverages taste terrible, I have to force myself to eat, I stutter constantly, I can never find the right words and often switch up words in a sentence. My memory is horrid, and I always see tracers, which is enough to drive anyone crazy. The only pluses are the slight decrease in consistency of my migraines and the weight loss.

September 11, 2014 4:50 PM

I've been on Topamax for about a week now great results. carbonated drinks taste horrible little confused in class but overall its a Lifesaver. My migraines had me suicidal.

September 9, 2014 11:02 AM

Review by Wonder medication! (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I've been taking Topamax (brand) for approximately ten years. Due to severe migraines this was the only medication to prevent what had been dabilitating headaches, nausea & vomiting, sensitivity to light, smell, sound, movement, and dizziness. After several years, my insurance refused to continue payment of the brand until I tried the generic tablets. After 3 days, the original symptoms returned. They finally approved continued payment of brand and now two years later they again have refused to cover (pay) for medication although it falls under the plan. For three months, my neurologist and I have issued appeals with no clear explanation of the denial. I would just like to again take meds to rid myself of this pain.

August 20, 2014 10:32 PM

Review by Sam2287:

Took a 50 mg last night before bedtime for the 1st time. Woke up like a zombie, my top lip numb, in a fog, soda taste metallic. I can't function on this medicine. I function better with migraines. I am a receptionist, and about to fall asleep at my desk.

August 14, 2014 8:43 AM

By the time I started Topamax, I was getting migraines 2-4 days a week. Topamax seemed like the best fix. And for a while, it was. My migraines significantly reduced, though I did get most of the common side effects: slight tingling in my fingers, carbonated beverages tasted gross, and weight loss. My main warning about this medicine is weight loss. It seems to be paraded as a benefit, and to some it may be, but if you are already naturally slim, pay very close attention. I wound up dropping to an unhealthy weight despite all attempts to counter it, and it's ultimately why I had to stop Topamax. I was unwillingly wasting away. When I stopped, my migraines returned in short order, and I'm still looking for an alternative that works.

July 16, 2014 11:00 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been taking Topamax for 2 years now after trying many different medications. Yes I got some of the side effect mainly thought process was slow and word confusion that was real frustrating it is worse under stress. The all over tingling is not as bad anymore but not have headaches every day, you have to weigh you options.

July 13, 2014 3:17 PM

Review by DIANA FORD (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I used it for migraines. My side effects were: depression, dehydration, impaired thinking, confusion, drowsiness, memory problems, nervousness, trouble in concentrating, weakness, loss of appetite, vertigo, and SEVERE ANXIETY. After stopping this medication, I still suffer from severe anxiety and vertigo.

June 10, 2014 7:18 PM

Review by allisanderson (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Works extremely well to prevent my migraines.

May 24, 2014 7:26 PM

Review by RJinVegas:

Wow, what a roller coaster ride! Started on 25mg, no effect, then 50, 200 finally 400. It did stop the cluster headaches, but Extreme confusion, serious loss of hearing, forgetfulness, couldn't remember my phone number! My wife wouldn't let me drive at 400mg, I was dangerous, parking became very difficult, once I had to get out of the car and let her park. Frustrating and humiliating. In the end, I was down to 50mg a day, Doc said that wasn't causing any side effects at that low dose. WRONG! When I finally stopped, it took a couple of weeks to become me again. I was shocked at the difference it made being off of it. Some of my hearing came back thankfully. I did lose 30 pounds that did not come back.

May 4, 2014 3:05 PM

Review by mrs.thrompson (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've been taking Topamax for about 2 years now, 100 mg a day. I have severe chronic migraines due to my spinal cord. So my doctor put me on this medication. The only side effect I've had was the tingling but I get that anyways even before this medication so who knows if it was a side effect. But it works ok for me when I take it regularly but I also have focal seizures so this medication is for both of my problems. But I always take it with my hydrocodone so my migraines are fine.

May 4, 2014 1:52 PM

Review by Bojomom:

I'm 50 yrs old and have suffered from Migraines since I was about 12 years old. Too long! I've taken every medicine possible for prevention or cure with little or no relief. Too many trips to the ER for shots...the only real fix; then back home in a dark room for much needed sleep. When my Internist suggested Topamax, I jumped at the opportunity. Boy, I'm happy that I did. Yes, I had the initial side effects, lost 35 lbs originally (gained 10 back), have tingling in my fingers & toes but only in the winter when I'm cold. Very manageable. I don't drink pop, but tried one WOW...it was flat. I do struggle with words at times, but still manageable. My 3/week migraines now down to 1/month are generally managed with Excedrin Migraine. A

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2014 2:50 PM

Review by Nearly Migraine Free!:

Topamax literally saved my life! I have been getting headaches often since I was 14 or so. They progressed to full blown migraines after my 3rd child (I was 28 in 2004)and increased from there. By 2008/2009 they had gotten so bad I was literally having paralysis on the left side of my face, could not keep my eyes open at all, severe vomiting. Once I had one there was no driving or I'd run off the road. Thankfully after getting no relief from several medications & including visits to the ER, ENT, and neurologist to try and figure out something... I was prescribed Topamax. Use 50mg a day with 2 Aleve & 500mg Magnesium. Pretty much wiped out my migraines. Got pretty much all the side effects...who cares? I'm not suffering everyday anymore. :)

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 10, 2014 11:52 PM

Review by mrhotel_ca (taken for 10 years or more):

I took Topamax as much as 300mg/day for 15 years and my last dose was 150mg at night. I recently changed to Lyrica which is also an anti-convulsant and am taking 100mg/day and find it more effective than Topamax without the memory and lost word problems. I discontinued Topamax because it slowly got to the point where I could not remember something for an hour. Topamax also was causing erectile dysfunction problems for the last 3 years. I do not have this problem with Lyrica. In the end I was getting 5 or more migraines a week and now get 2 or 3 a week and expect to increase Lyrica to 300mg/day.

December 25, 2013 11:40 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have taken Topamax for about 5 years I take 100 mg in the morning 100 in the afternoon and 200 more mg at night I almost never have a migraine.I used to have one 4 out of 7 days a week. I don't have any side effects not even drowsiness.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2013 5:48 PM

Review by Blondiechick (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been on Topamax now for 2 years. I reached a breaking point where I almost lost my job because I was calling out of work so much with 3-4 (sometimes 5) migraines a week. I was initially annoyed because I wanted it to work immediately, but I still had migraines. You have to titrate the dose up 25 mg a week. I initially went up to the recommended 100 mg, but I hated the "loss of words" feeling I had, and found that I had about 1-2 migraines a month. So I decided to go back to 75 mg and see what happened. I had less loss of words and finger tingling, and yet my amount of migraines stayed at 1-2/month. This has been a lifesaver for me. I don't know what I would do without it.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 26, 2013 12:13 PM