User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Topamax review summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Topamax to treat Migraine Prevention

Review by Bojomom:

I'm 50 yrs old and have suffered from Migraines since I was about 12 years old. Too long! I've taken every medicine possible for prevention or cure with little or no relief. Too many trips to the ER for shots...the only real fix; then back home in a dark room for much needed sleep. When my Internist suggested Topamax, I jumped at the opportunity. Boy, I'm happy that I did. Yes, I had the initial side effects, lost 35 lbs originally (gained 10 back), have tingling in my fingers & toes but only in the winter when I'm cold. Very manageable. I don't drink pop, but tried one WOW...it was flat. I do struggle with words at times, but still manageable. My 3/week migraines now down to 1/month are generally managed with Excedrin Migraine. A

March 16, 2014 2:50 PM
Review by Nearly Migraine Free!: User Rating:

Topamax literally saved my life! I have been getting headaches often since I was 14 or so. They progressed to full blown migraines after my 3rd child (I was 28 in 2004)and increased from there. By 2008/2009 they had gotten so bad I was literally having paralysis on the left side of my face, could not keep my eyes open at all, severe vomiting. Once I had one there was no driving or I'd run off the road. Thankfully after getting no relief from several medications & including visits to the ER, ENT, and neurologist to try and figure out something... I was prescribed Topamax. Use 50mg a day with 2 Aleve & 500mg Magnesium. Pretty much wiped out my migraines. Got pretty much all the side effects...who cares? I'm not suffering everyday anymore. :)

February 10, 2014 11:52 PM
Review by mrhotel_ca (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

I took Topamax as much as 300mg/day for 15 years and my last dose was 150mg at night. I recently changed to Lyrica which is also an anti-convulsant and am taking 100mg/day and find it more effective than Topamax without the memory and lost word problems. I discontinued Topamax because it slowly got to the point where I could not remember something for an hour. Topamax also was causing erectile dysfunction problems for the last 3 years. I do not have this problem with Lyrica. In the end I was getting 5 or more migraines a week and now get 2 or 3 a week and expect to increase Lyrica to 300mg/day.

December 25, 2013 11:40 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I have taken Topamax for about 5 years I take 100 mg in the morning 100 in the afternoon and 200 more mg at night I almost never have a migraine.I used to have one 4 out of 7 days a week. I don't have any side effects not even drowsiness.

November 2, 2013 5:48 PM
Review by Blondiechick (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I have been on Topamax now for 2 years. I reached a breaking point where I almost lost my job because I was calling out of work so much with 3-4 (sometimes 5) migraines a week. I was initially annoyed because I wanted it to work immediately, but I still had migraines. You have to titrate the dose up 25 mg a week. I initially went up to the recommended 100 mg, but I hated the "loss of words" feeling I had, and found that I had about 1-2 migraines a month. So I decided to go back to 75 mg and see what happened. I had less loss of words and finger tingling, and yet my amount of migraines stayed at 1-2/month. This has been a lifesaver for me. I don't know what I would do without it.

October 26, 2013 12:13 PM
Review by Wombat Divine: User Rating:

I was prescribed Topamax as a preventative migraine med. It was effective in significantly reducing migraine. However it gave me insanely severe sinus/hayfever symptoms. I couldn't leave the house because my nose was running like a tap. I was sneezing all the time and totally stuffed up. I got all the other usual digestive upset side effects, but I could live with those as they seemed to reduce as time went on whereas the sinus problems intensified.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 19, 2013 10:08 PM
Review by Danj515: User Rating:

I began taking Topamax about a year ago after suffering from weekly migraines since age 15. I increased the dose to 200mg a day before it seemed to be a therapeutic dose for me. My migraines reduced a lot for a long time but I also do not drink alcohol, caffeine, or eat chocolate, cheese. The last few weeks my migraines are back with great intensity. One lasted 4 days. So I will be going back to my doctor. Topamax did not affect my appetite at all. I get occasional tingling.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 6, 2013 8:29 AM
Review by tinafla444: User Rating:

Love this medicine, no headaches.

September 29, 2013 8:17 AM
Review by 1217jess:

Your experiences helped me a lot. This is my 3rd day on Topamax at 25mg at bedtime and the only side effect I'm experiencing is nausea. I'm also looking forward to the weight loss! Would love to lose 15 pounds.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 22, 2013 10:08 PM
Review by comon' MOM ! Remember? (taken for 2 to 5 years):

The side effects outweighed the Wonderful absence of migraines. I did not remember most things I was told. I couldn't remember words, was in a constant fog, hardly smiled or laughed anymore. After I get over these odd "withdrawal" symptoms all will be back to normal.

September 22, 2013 12:24 PM
Review by Sweaterpoo: User Rating:

I'm on day 4 of 50 mg of Topamax, and am supposed to up it to 100mg on the 7th day. I've not had a migraine but the side effects are draining me. I have headaches almost everyday and they usually turn into a migraine. But so far in the 4 days on Topamax I've only had to take one triptan and it worked ASAP. I hope I can hang in there. I'd like to lose some weight too!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 19, 2013 7:06 PM
Review by thisisendless: User Rating:

My migraines are primarily abdominal, but I get daily 'tension" type headaches as well. But my nausea "attacks" are totally debilitating and the headaches get more so every day. I took Topamax starting at 25 mgs then increased. I noticed it really helping my symptoms, way less nausea, headaches stopped and I could sleep well. Unfortunately, I am one of the people who react with a rare side effect of an acute onset closed angle glaucoma attack and my vision got very blurry and got so bad I could not see anything but blobs if it was more that 12 inches from my face. If you get blurred vision go to the ER and show them the letter from the Topamax website, because ER had never heard of that reaction. I gave it a 5 because it worked until then.

August 8, 2013 3:00 AM
Review by Larissa555: User Rating:

At first this medication impaired my ability to drive a lot. My depth perception was way off making it very dangerous for me to be on the road, over time I did notice my migraines were less often and sometimes I would get all the symptoms of a migraine (light sensitivity, nausea) but no pain, kind of like a ghost migraine, which was weird and inconvenient. For the most part I think this medication is worth a try. I am currently on 25mg.

July 31, 2013 2:44 PM
Review by Lorrie Louise:

I have been on Topamax for 13 years now and cannot live without it. Before the doctor prescribed it for me I was in the hospital at least 4 times a year for 2 to 3 days. I have not even been to the emergency room for a shot since I have stared taking it. I take 50 mg morning & 50 mg at night. I did not lose many pounds and the side effects did not bother me at all. I would suggest anyone with severe migraines to give Topamax a few months before giving up on it.

July 29, 2013 6:54 PM
Review by Chris147: User Rating:

Emotional problems, runny nose, etc. Without much relief.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 17, 2013 1:56 PM
Review by RomancePants (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I was prepared for the basic side effects: Carbonated beverages not tasting right, and also some loss of appetite. I was put on 100mg from the get go. I also had the fairly common side effect of just feeling confused, though this wasn't all that severe and I was still able to do well in school. I also experienced tingling in my hands and feet, and though this was irritating, it was bearable. The real kicker for why I quit taking this medicine was when I began to have what felt like panic attacks and severe confusion, along with elevated heartbeat and dizziness. Also my fingers would move on their own and seem to get stuck sticking straight out and I had no control over it.

July 3, 2013 2:48 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I went from 1 or 2 migraines a year to about 9 a month. After a year or so of this my doctor had me try Topamax. I've been on 25 mg., once a day, for the past three weeks and I'm very happy with it. I've only had the beginnings of 3 migraines (immediately took my Relpax) and they went immediately away. I feel like I've got my life back. My only side effects are a slight loss of appetite (which I'm not unhappy about) and a little tingling in my feet. Well worth it.

July 2, 2013 6:38 PM
Review by CaliHeart: User Rating:

I originally started on Topamax for Migraines and found it to be a 10 for that. I went from 4-5 monthly to maybe 2-3 per year. Life changing! It was difficult for my body to adapt to at first and I had to build up VERY slowly using 12.5mg for a few weeks in the morning and then adding an evening dose, etc. It made me feel horrible, tired, breathless, out of sorts and dopey overall but over time all that wore off and in addition to the absence of migraines I enjoyed a more even keel mood, more control over my decision making including less desire for alcohol. This made staying sober easier than at previous attempts. I also struggled less with eating issues. I've had to increase over time and take breaks/restart to manage the dosage amount vs tolerance.

June 26, 2013 2:19 PM
Review by Nat migraine:

I have always had chronic, severe migraine, often for 15 days or more of each month. Topamax has helped, but I tend to develop a resistance, so when I started getting resistant to Topomax I came off & have not been on anything. 15 days ago I started having severe vertigo, now diagnosed as vitigenous migraine (a new twist on my migraines) and am back on Topamax. I immediately noticed a severe drop in my libido. I don't remember it from previous times. Of course, being dizzy for 2 weeks may also be killing my sex-drive!

May 18, 2013 1:59 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Female. 19. I had sinus surgery then started getting headaches after surgery because of nerve damage. I was taking 25mg once every night for a week and every next week would up the dose. My experience was awful! I had the usual side affects people had- tingling in lips/hands, and weight loss. Main one for me was, I was so extremely fatigued and weak. I'm a young healthy girl who eats healthy, is a healthy weight, and before my surgery worked out 4 X a week. I would have physically to force myself out of bed. And as far as the headaches it reduced the intensity of the migraines, but did nothing for the frequency.

May 11, 2013 10:07 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

My current dosage is 100mg daily. I started at 113 pounds, today I weigh 100 pounds due to Topamax. Yes, I agree with everyone in the beginning the side effects were the worst. However, my doctor warned me that I would not feel relief until I reached my full dosage and my body adjusted to it, which was about 12 weeks. And I did see a difference. Before Topamax, migraines controlled my life, I had roughly 15 a month. With the Topamax I rarely have a severe migraine at all. Typically I just get 5-7 headaches a month which is a big difference. Yes, sometimes I forget my train of thought or tingly in my feet. However, those side effects beat the alternative to 50% of my life being controlled by severe migraines.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 11, 2013 12:45 AM
Review by Paul height (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I have now been on Topamax for about 6 years now and in all that time I can honestly say I have only had bad head ache and no migraine at all and the only reason started the medication is I had meningitis in 1993 and one of the long term side effects of this is migraines for life so Topamax has been a lifesaver for me.

May 9, 2013 4:14 PM
Review by PurpleLady: User Rating:

I've been taking Topamax for over 3 years and the only side effect I experienced was an initial weight loss of about 15lbs. If there was any cognitive difficulty, memory loss, difficulty remembering words, etc., I didn't notice, as it was worse when I was experiencing a migraine. Before taking Topamax I would have a headache for months, with no relief. After I started taking Topamax the migraines were down to 3 month. My Dr. started me on a dose of 25mg, 2 X day and titrated me to 100mg 2 X day. Unfortunately, the Topamax no longer seems to be effective and on my next visit I will ask my Dr. to either increase the dosage or to prescribe a different medicine. Also, I have to agree with another post I saw, I am always freezing!

May 7, 2013 2:03 PM
Review by meldjc (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Began taking Topamax in 2006. Before starting on Topamax migraines were lasting 4-5 days after onset; and frequency of approximately 3 times per month. I experienced some diarrhea which subsided after breaking dosage up throughout the day (200mg daily). Additionally, I have experienced weight loss (a significant amount 50lbs) I could not afford to lose. However, the weight loss has subsided as well. Upon beginning the medication I had trouble with recalling words and memory loss. At this juncture the side effects have since passed and so have the migraines. I experience 1-2 migraines quarterly. Topamax has been a life-saver for me. I had tried many other migraine preventatives to no avail.

April 6, 2013 12:06 PM
Review by POB: User Rating:

I have chronic daily migraines, and have tried several medications for migraine prevention, including Depakote, Elavil (amitriptyline), nortriptyline, and propranolol. The Depakote, amitriptyline and nortriptyline were too sedating. The propranolol worked well, but I had too increase the dosage over time to the point where my blood pressure became too low. Right now a combination of Topamax at 50 mg and propranolol extended release at 60 mg works best for me. There are few adverse effects. The Topamax does cause some frustrating cognitive difficulties but I think I can live with them, considering the relief it gives me from the migraines.

April 1, 2013 8:32 AM