User Reviews for Xolair

Learn more about Xolair.

Xolair Review Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 73 medications used in the treatment of Asthma, Maintenance.

Reviews for Xolair to treat Asthma, Maintenance

"What a waste of time and money! Are the contributors on this site really patients and not Genentech plants? No help with asthma, phlegm after 5 shots at $3000 each, big pharma just printing money with these drugs."

Rich52264 May 3, 2015

"I had one injection then three days later I thought - something is different. I can breathe! Checked my peak flow meter and it is up 45 points. Hurray. Can't wait for my next injection."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2015

"Very useful for treating severe to mild asthma! Highly recommended!"

Selena Perezila May 14, 2014

"Xolair is life-changing. I was diagnosed with severe allergic asthma 35 years ago. While I still take regular maintenance medicines in addition to a steroid inhaler, Xolair had allowed me to give up my nebulizer and has turned of the allergic rhinitis faucet in my head. At the time of my last injection I was wheezing slightly (residual symptoms from a three week battle with bronchitis). Within 15 minutes of the injection the wheezing had stopped and I was breathing easier. I've taken Xolair since 2005 without any adverse reaction. My symptoms are better controlled with Xolair than at any time in my life. Truly a miracle."

Anon909 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 24, 2013

"This is only my first shot. I was very symptomatic the morning of the shot - phlegm, restricted breathing, swelling of appendages, face, neck & throat, redness, burning (had idiopathic anaphylaxis/asthma). Twenty minutes after the shot I suddenly felt an unusual open feeling in my sinuses, and my phlegm was gone. I could take an unrestricted breath for the first time in years. I noticed my sore throat, the burning, much of my swelling, and redness was gone. My eyes were wide and white and I guess weren't swollen because I could focus. I left feeling elated. But driving I began to feel fatigued coupled with bursts of energy, some dizziness and strange mental activity. I didn't feel safe driving and canceled work. "

HeidiFaye (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2013

"I have been taking Xolair injections for about a year now. My Family doctor suggested that we try it because for the past 12 years I had such bad reactions to dust, mold and any animal. After years of the typical allergy shots at the Drs. office, and having reactions from them, face swelling, throat shutting off, using the Epipen, it was a weekly thing. Going to the grocery store and praying that the person in line did not have a cat at home, yikes! Well, Xolair is AMAZING! My family doctor "diagnosed me with Asthma" so I could get this medication. Though I only have asthma from the allergies, This medicine REALLY WORKS! Thank you for giving my life back! I can go all month now without an Epipen injection!"

Tweeks (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 9, 2013

"I have have had far fewer Asthma attacks and allergies since being on Xolair injections every 2 wks and have become a lot less dependent on my rescue inhaler. I've on this medicine for at least 4 yrs and have had no adverse effects and I highly recommend it...it has changed my life."

susan_2009 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 11, 2013

"In May 2006 my breathing had gradually declined to 47% of normal over a period of two years for the FEV 1 test. Nothing my allergist was able to do would turn things around for me. He suggested we try this pretty new medicine. My improvement did not occur immediately, but every month as we measured my lung function it improved by 2 to 5 percent. By the end of that summer I was feeling much, much better and by the end of a years I was up to 77% of normal. Xolair has changed my life and I am able to walk, camp outdoors, play golf and continue many activities and hobbies I had dropped. I even sleep through the night without waking and gasping for air. Use rescue inhaler much less. The improvement has lasted. I take 375 mg every 2 weeks."

BigBirdFrank January 8, 2013

"This medicine is a miracle, it has changed my life completely. Before Xolair I was being admitted to hospital via ambulance every 6-7 days, with ICU admissions, without this medicine I would not be alive today, as there was nothing else that would help. I have tried everything going, every attack via ambulance they were injecting me with adrenaline until they got me to hospital. "

michlle jessup (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 13, 2012

"I have been on this medicine for 7 months and it has absolutely changed my life. The severity of my asthma was so bad, that it would land me in the hospital at least once every two months. And I mean admitted for like a week, not just ER visits. I take 300mg 4 times a month. The results are phenomenal. I am able to do things and participate in physical activities that i havent been able to do in years. I have zero side effects, and although it is a pain to have to go the infusion center at the hospital once a week, it is beyond worth it. If the possible benefits outway the possible risks, I would definitely recommend Xolair."

Anonymous September 28, 2012

"I was diagnosed with asthma at the age of 2. For years I was a very sick, steroid dependant child. At the age of 11 I was admitted to the number 1 asthma and immunology hospital in the world, as an impatient for just over a year. I did gain a little more control over my asthma, but missed many, many days of school. In my early 20's I became disabled due to my asthma. For years I would do the emergency room thing, be admitted to the local hospital into ICU for a week or so at a time, several times each year. I've been intubated several times due to respiratory failure. I've only been to the ER twice since being on Xolair. All of my other medicines have been discontinued. Thank you."

Mike Guillemette (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 12, 2012

"This medication given bi-weekly, 3 injections each visit (150mg), has been life-changing. Having been in an induced coma to save my life, followed by a trachyotomy, and in & out of hospital many times last year, I needed this. I went from a lung rating of 8/10 (serious) to 0,8 in 4 visits. My lungs have vastly improved, and my Prednisolone (steroid) is stabilized. Fortunately I qualify forr funding as a government patient. I only had one reaction - with the very first dose - a rash. Now I take an anti-histamine before I leave home for the injections."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 9, 2012

"I love it. I had NO quality of life I almost gave up on life because I have two kids and I couldn't stand for them to see me suffer any more. This saved my life."

Anonymous February 7, 2012

"This is my 1st shot but I noticed a marked improvement. From 20 attacks a day down to 6. Was scared to try this medicine because I'm allergic to a lot of medicines, food, etc. After the shot I experienced itching at injection site, sleepiness that lasted for 4 hrs. After that I felt energetic and a lessening in all over body pain. That night I slept through without any asthma attack, it appears to also be suppressing my Lupus. It is so great not to constantly have pain and an inhaler in my mouth and be able to walk more than 3 ft and stop for breath. Can't wait for my 2nd shot, I almost feel back to normal. Thank you for creating this medicine just wish it was cheaper."

lybou November 14, 2011

"I have been on Xolair since June 2009, and I can somewhat tell a difference. I don't use my rescue inhaler as much as I used to, and I don't get bronchitis as much. My maintenance medicines have not changed at all over the last few years. Still on the same doses and medicines. I have been using A LOT more of Prednisone though."

WeNdElL74 May 14, 2011

"I've been on Xolair for 4 months, 2 shots 1 time a month and now as I approach my 5 month. Doctor is talking about decreasing my Advair. I currently take 500 of Advair and have not had to use my rescue inhaler in a very long time. I was diagnosed with COPD about 6 years ago, but my symptoms have totally reversed themselves and I am doing very well. The Doctor tells me that I may only get down to 100 of Advair but I think my asthma is doing great. Xolair is a great medicine."

Awesome Drug.... September 4, 2010

"I've been taking the shots for 6 months now and have only had 2 episodes of mild asthma. Before the shots, I had severe asthma for 27 years and was on steroids for 27 years. Needless to say, my bones have suffered the consequence of steroids. I wish this drug wasn't so expensive. It saves lives. It changes lives but most people can't afford it! Including myself. I was completely disabled from asthma, but medicaid approved this drug for me for 6 months. I has made an amazing difference."

Anonymous July 9, 2010

"My son's life is a lot better now that he is receiving this treatment. Why is this medication so expensive? We are on a scholarship through a hospital. My son started treatment in FEB 2009 and his absent rate has gone down. We were in the emergency room too many times. The schools in LA County were going to call the D.A. even, with legal doctor's notes. This medication has helped us that my son went from a "D " to an "A " and honor roll!"

lmorales57 November 23, 2009

"In the treatment of my severe chronic asthma, this medication is best at managing my condition. I take it subcutaneously once each month, two injections of 150 mg each."

jimmyhealth April 19, 2009

"Prescribed for atopy. No side-effect, but no efficacy after 6 months. My maintenance medications had to stay at the same dosage, so I stopped."

fred8833 February 28, 2009