User Reviews for Zyrtec

7.3
Summary of Zyrtec reviews 65 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Zyrtec

Review by College Student:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Hay Fever: Zyrtec relieved me of my allergies (except for my worst days), but the side effects were horrible--drowsiness being the worst. I took it at night, however, it still made me so drowsy during the day that in school I fell asleep in every class. Eventually my friends convinced me to stop taking it because they had experienced the same thing.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 25, 2014 12:44 AM
Review by Amityjv (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Hay Fever: Zyrtec works well in combating allergies as well as allergic rhinitis. The best I've found.I take at night about an hour before bedtime and sleep like a baby all night. Love it. First time in years I can say I feel great and not congested from allergies.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 6, 2014 6:31 AM
Review by Ragweed sufferer (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Hay Fever: Zyrtec works incredibly well for my severe ragweed allergy. However, each fall I've noticed it's making me more and more drowsy, to the point that I don't want to do anything and I'm needing naps in the afternoon. I think I'm going to have to discontinue it, which is frustrating because it works much better than the other meds I've tried.

August 25, 2013 10:21 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: I've had chronic urticaria for over 2 years now, and out of all the allergy medicines, Zyrtec works the best. My hives have become much harder to manage in the past year, so I need to take twice the Zyrtec I used to, but it still works much better than Allegra or Claritin for me.

August 25, 2013 4:22 PM
Review by clebrun (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: I had hives for 3 weeks and I was completely miserable! I was put on steroids for 3 days and they came back as soon as I quit them. I was taking Benadryl everyday and was still so itchy. About ready to go nuts I researched and researched things to try. Into week 3 with the hives I started taking Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 and drinking green tea everyday. Took a Zyrtec one morning and my hives were cleared by evening. I have been taking 1 a day for 3 days now and I'm hive free..feeling great.

August 2, 2013 10:04 PM
Review by naomi96: User Rating:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: I've had dermatographism or chronic urticaria for about 1 yr before I started taking Zyrtec. I started taking Zyrtec in January and now I forgot I even have the skin problem! When I first tried this product, the side effects made me extremely sleepy and thirsty. It dried my body out. But the side effects went away after prolonged use. Now I feel like a normal person!

June 9, 2013 10:32 AM
Review by 55Epi Deb: User Rating:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: I just started Zyrtec 10 mg one week ago for allergies. I have been plagued by intense palm itching with various other areas, arms, ankles, legs which develops into hives. I am happy to say...GONE NOW! Thank goodness! It was maddening and my doctor never got excited about it! So happy now!

April 22, 2013 12:13 AM
Review by anonymous_6: User Rating:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: I have had chronic idiopathic urticaria AND demographism for the last 14 years with no identifiable cause. 10mg daily works great and keeps the hives away. The drowsiness subsides after prolonged use.

April 18, 2013 1:59 AM
Review by bobbyx: User Rating:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Hay Fever: It really did not work for me. My eyes itched a bit less, but my nose just kept itching and running. Also sneezed multiple time after 1st dose. Tried a 2nd tablet 4 hours later with no noticeable results. This may work for some people but I get better relief from Benadryl, which works well but causes drowsiness.

October 3, 2012 5:18 PM
Review by lgs11 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Hay Fever: I just took Zyrtec for the first time yesterday. It did make me drowsy but I also didn't get much sleep the night before. I took it because my eye was so itchy and watery it had become swollen and I was having trouble breathing. I have had allergies for over 15 years but never took anything before this. Well I don't know if this is an unlisted side effect but I woke up in my sleep cracking up and could not stop laughing for a few minutes even after my husband woke me. I wonder if anyone else had intense dreams while on this medication. I don't take anything else that would cause this.

May 21, 2012 12:14 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Hay Fever: Zyrtec worked well for my nasal allergies, but when I tried to stop taking it after several years, I got the skin itch/rash that many have reported. It was worst for the first few days, but now even a year later I still frequently get a skin rash when I get warm (cholinergic urticaria). I can't say for sure that the cholinergic urticaria was a side effect of stopping Zyrtec, but skin rashes were never a symptom of mine until I stopped.

March 15, 2012 11:43 PM
Review by AllergySufferer: User Rating:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: As someone who uses Zyrtec as one of 2 primary treatments (The other being Benadryl.) I can vouch that Zyrtec gets the job done as described. 24 hours of itch free and low-drowsiness is very suitable for me. If you are someone having withdrawals from Zyrtec then you don't take it right. It only occurs when your body needs the Zyrtec in order for your brain to be chemically balanced. This usually occurs if you take it based on a schedule rather then when you notice your real symptoms. If you listen to your doctor and/or the label, then you will be like me as someone who is happy to be symptom free.

March 14, 2012 8:54 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Hay Fever: It works better than any other medicine I have tried. Down side is the itching, which is caused by its negative effect on the liver. Therefore, I do not take it everyday. I have to wait a day or so in between.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 28, 2012 8:14 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Hay Fever: I thought Zyrtec (cetirizine) was great at first because it worked so well on my allergies. I have gained 15 pounds over 1-1/2 years. I didn't think it was related to Zyrtec, but recently figured out that it is. I am an extremely healthy eater (no processed foods or white flours/sugars), a runner and triathlete without weight issues before Zyrtec. I attributed the weight gain to age, hormones and finally my thyroid. Blood tests ruled out the hormone and thyroid issues. I only take HRT & Zyrtec. I stopped Zyrtec 3 days ago and have lost 2 pounds without any changes in diet. I am willing to suffer with allergy symptoms if I can lose this weight.

February 27, 2012 5:44 PM
Review by florida allergies: User Rating:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Hay Fever: All day I have had runny nose, itchy watery eyes, sneezing, throat closing. I finally could not take it anymore I did some research online to determine the best OTC medication to use, Zyrtec stood out the most. I figured that it must be pretty strong due to the fact that at one time you needed a script to get it. I took my first tab at 3:00pm its now 3:18. I am starting to feel the effects of Zyrtec I have not sneezed as of yet my watery nose and eye's are starting to clear up. I'm beginning to breathe easier.

February 10, 2012 3:22 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Hay Fever: I have been taking Zyrtec for about 2 years for hayfever. I have noticed that it doesn't seem to be working as well for my symptoms as it did at first. I stopped taking it 3 days ago and now I am experiencing severe itching on my hands and feet.

October 22, 2011 12:32 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zyrtec (cetirizine): Very effective in stopping runny nose and sniffles. I would say within five minutes I am feeling well. This medicine works and with no side effects.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 12, 2011 1:30 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Hay Fever: This is the only medication that has worked for me so far (besides Benadryl), but it gives me horrible dry mouth and eyes after using it for a few days, and if I take it for longer than that my tongue starts to hurt because of the dryness. I would give it a 10 if it weren't for those symptoms.

September 5, 2011 12:49 AM
Review by Zyrtec Itch: User Rating:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Hay Fever: Make the itching stop. I took this for Hayfever and it worked. BUT, it then caused me to have head to toe bumps and itchiness even after stopping taking it. The itching is keeping me up at night. I am hoping to wait it out and never take it again. Also while I was taking it my eyes and face got really, really swollen. I am still not sure if this was from an unusually bad allergy season or the Zyrtec, but I am going to guess it is the Zyrtec because my allergies have never caused this before (usually I just have sinus and itchy eyes).

June 9, 2011 11:39 AM
Review by Cap bob: User Rating:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Hay Fever: I have just decided to stop taking Zyrtec. It worked well on my allergies. However I have had increase in back and joint pain i.e. knee and hip the past two weeks. Not sure it's Zyrtec but felt I'd eliminate it to see if symptoms resolve.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 6, 2011 12:28 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: Used Zyrtec for years and it keeps the hives/welts at bay. Works great.

April 12, 2011 1:06 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: I suffer from acute symptoms of psoriasis and Keibners phenomenon with severe itching. I also have asthma, coughing constantly. I'm newly diagnosed with psoriasis so I couldn't figure out what was going on with the severe itching and what was triggering my rashes. After seeing 5 other doctors, I went to an allergist and he suggested to take Zyrtec. I didn't think it would help but it really does. It doesn't cause me drowsiness but it wears off after 12 hrs and my itching from psoriasis comes back. My rheumatologist suggested to take one in the morning and one at night. It helps with the severe itching. It stops my coughing as well.

February 10, 2011 7:46 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Hay Fever: It works well, however, it made me as sleepy as Benadryl.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 14, 2010 7:20 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Hay Fever: I suffered from multiple sinus infections several times a year. Since taking Zyrtec on a regular basis I have been sinus trouble free for over a year. THANK YOU ZYRTEC!

November 9, 2010 8:23 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Hay Fever: This product only helped one of my many allergic symptoms, my eyes stopped itching after two hours but my nose kept on running.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 15, 2010 10:53 AM
Page 1 2 3 Next

Watch this video series to learn about managing severe allergies (anaphylaxis).