User Reviews for Zyrtec

Hay Fever 54 reviews 797 medications

7.2
Summary of Zyrtec reviews 77 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Zyrtec

For Hay Fever "I have been taking Zyrtec for almost 6 years. I was first prescribed Zyrtec to combat my allergies during pregnancy. It worked well except to make me a little drowsy. I only take it seasonally, and it still works well for my symptoms, but the fatigue and drowsiness has gotten worse over time. When I started taking it again for my Spring/Summer allergies this year, the first week was horrible. Even taking it at night I felt so fatigued the next day my muscles ached, and I had to fight to stay awake during the day with my 2 little ones at home. I would fall asleep as soon as my husband got home and sleep 14-15 hours. After about a week my body seemed to adjust and the drowsiness isn't as bad anymore."

Jenn S. July 18, 2015

For Hay Fever "Zyrtec made me so sleepy I could barely perform my job. Also felt sluggish and dangerous while driving. All I could think of all day was 'I need to go to sleep'..."

SandibB June 5, 2015

For Urticaria "I have been getting viral hives over the last 6 months. I went and saw an allergist (who diagnosed me) and he recommends this instead of Benadryl. For me it hasn't helped. I guess I'm not as lucky as the others here."

trinkystar (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2015

For Urticaria "I would have a hives outbreak occasionally and went to see an allergist who just told me it had nothing to do with food and to take 1 zyrtec 2 if they were bad. I had an outbreak and they went down but it took awhile to work. I decided to get a second opinion with another allergist who ran tests and finally told me to take a zyrtec everday for life. He said if I felt an outbreak wanting to come to take a second one. I am happy to report this has actually worked I have gone 7 months with no hives outbreak! It feels wonderful to have my life back without worries of an outbreak! Please talk to your doctor about this recommendation my allergist gave me, I hope it helps someone out there. :)"

brkano April 13, 2015

For Urticaria "I've had chronic hives for years and until a doctor in the emergency room found exactly what to do.. within 2 hours, it was gone. She hooked me up to an IV and gave me a high dose of steriods, not the medrol dose pack. 20 MG 3 times a day (after I went home)but she also gave me Zyrtec 10 mg, and Prilosec. Apparently the Prilosec helps also. But I still get hives every 2 months. When I get hives, I welt up with a rash from head to toe, my skin is red as can be, and it burns badly and itches , also take lukewarm baths with a lot of Epsom salt,and the soap I use for hives attack is home made lye soap! It must be home made, I'm curious about how much Zyrtec can you take within 24 hr. Period safely"

wish2dance March 6, 2015

For Urticaria "Zyrtec never helped my runny nose or itchy eyes but it eliminated about 90 percent of my hives, and for me, that might as well be a hundred percent. My hives came on gradually and worsened over the years. It got to the point where my skin burned and itched pretty much 24/7. When I started taking Zyrtec regularly I noticed immediate improvement. Before I had just assumed my post shave rash was normal but now I know it was my hives response."

Gailfsu (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2015

For Urticaria "I have had hives a few times now. I just got done with a horrible case from penicillin. Took prednisone for several days. Some hives appear in the morning. Now I control with one Zyrtec per day. It works for me. No side effects. Great product."

Kathoncamano (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 20, 2014

For Urticaria "The feeling of being on fire started when I was 17 and the daily attacks didn't stop until I found Cetirizine HCL (Zyrtec) some 5 years ago. I'm now 50 I take a tablet every morning and I'm good. For me it's a miracle pill. "

JGofCalifornia August 19, 2014

For Urticaria "My husband has been having hive outbreaks which seem to have gotten progressively more severe over the last 8 months. His doctor has been changing medications trying to find the source. Husband is on blood pressure and statins. Benadryl is not as effective anymore plus taking it every six hours makes him sleep all the time. I am so glad I found this website! Talked with doctor about trying one of these antihistamine treatments and she agreed. It has worked! No more hives! Fantastic! He has a life again. Who knew that a 10mg pill could make such a difference."

Cindy O. August 6, 2014

For Hay Fever "I was suffering really bad with my sinuses over the weekend and could find any relief. The doctor told me in the past to take Claritin, but it has never helped. I was at work this morning and my co worker told me about Zyrtec. Actually she had one for me to try and within 30 minutes, I could feel the pressure letting up in my sinus areas and what a surprise, I could breathe so much better, no sneezing, dripping, coughing, horrible pressure in my sinuses. I was astonished that this little pill could work so effectively. I have to say that I feel like a totally different person today, thanks to Zyrtec. If you haven't ever tried it, be sure to, it is the best of the best. I love you ZYRTEC!"

Saljofra50 July 30, 2014

For Urticaria "I have had hives for five days now, they burn. I took 10mg of Zyrtec but they are no help. I still have the hives and still have the pain that only a ice pack will help."

us395 May 8, 2014

For Hay Fever "Took Zyrtec on the advice of my ENT for chronic sinusitis from hay fever. It worked wonders on my sinuses but I can not function on it due to extreme drowsiness and fatigue. I am going to have to stop taking it!"

Nicfing (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2014

For Hay Fever "Zyrtec relieved me of my allergies (except for my worst days), but the side effects were horrible--drowsiness being the worst. I took it at night, however, it still made me so drowsy during the day that in school I fell asleep in every class. Eventually my friends convinced me to stop taking it because they had experienced the same thing. "

College Student March 25, 2014

For Hay Fever "Zyrtec works well in combating allergies as well as allergic rhinitis. The best I've found.I take at night about an hour before bedtime and sleep like a baby all night. Love it. First time in years I can say I feel great and not congested from allergies."

Amityjv (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2014

For Hay Fever "Zyrtec works incredibly well for my severe ragweed allergy. However, each fall I've noticed it's making me more and more drowsy, to the point that I don't want to do anything and I'm needing naps in the afternoon. I think I'm going to have to discontinue it, which is frustrating because it works much better than the other meds I've tried."

Ragweed sufferer (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 25, 2013

For Urticaria "I've had chronic urticaria for over 2 years now, and out of all the allergy medicines, Zyrtec works the best. My hives have become much harder to manage in the past year, so I need to take twice the Zyrtec I used to, but it still works much better than Allegra or Claritin for me."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 25, 2013

For Urticaria "I had hives for 3 weeks and I was completely miserable! I was put on steroids for 3 days and they came back as soon as I quit them. I was taking Benadryl everyday and was still so itchy. About ready to go nuts I researched and researched things to try. Into week 3 with the hives I started taking Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 and drinking green tea everyday. Took a Zyrtec one morning and my hives were cleared by evening. I have been taking 1 a day for 3 days now and I'm hive free..feeling great."

clebrun (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2013

For Urticaria "I've had dermatographism or chronic urticaria for about 1 yr before I started taking Zyrtec. I started taking Zyrtec in January and now I forgot I even have the skin problem! When I first tried this product, the side effects made me extremely sleepy and thirsty. It dried my body out. But the side effects went away after prolonged use. Now I feel like a normal person!"

naomi96 June 9, 2013

For Urticaria "I just started Zyrtec 10 mg one week ago for allergies. I have been plagued by intense palm itching with various other areas, arms, ankles, legs which develops into hives. I am happy to say...GONE NOW! Thank goodness! It was maddening and my doctor never got excited about it! So happy now!"

55Epi Deb April 22, 2013

For Urticaria "I have had chronic idiopathic urticaria AND demographism for the last 14 years with no identifiable cause. 10mg daily works great and keeps the hives away. The drowsiness subsides after prolonged use."

anonymous_6 April 18, 2013

For Hay Fever "It really did not work for me. My eyes itched a bit less, but my nose just kept itching and running. Also sneezed multiple time after 1st dose. Tried a 2nd tablet 4 hours later with no noticeable results. This may work for some people but I get better relief from Benadryl, which works well but causes drowsiness."

bobbyx October 3, 2012

For Hay Fever "I just took Zyrtec for the first time yesterday. It did make me drowsy but I also didn't get much sleep the night before. I took it because my eye was so itchy and watery it had become swollen and I was having trouble breathing. I have had allergies for over 15 years but never took anything before this. Well I don't know if this is an unlisted side effect but I woke up in my sleep cracking up and could not stop laughing for a few minutes even after my husband woke me. I wonder if anyone else had intense dreams while on this medication. I don't take anything else that would cause this."

lgs11 (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2012

For Hay Fever "Zyrtec worked well for my nasal allergies, but when I tried to stop taking it after several years, I got the skin itch/rash that many have reported. It was worst for the first few days, but now even a year later I still frequently get a skin rash when I get warm (cholinergic urticaria). I can't say for sure that the cholinergic urticaria was a side effect of stopping Zyrtec, but skin rashes were never a symptom of mine until I stopped."

Anonymous March 15, 2012

For Urticaria "As someone who uses Zyrtec as one of 2 primary treatments (The other being Benadryl.) I can vouch that Zyrtec gets the job done as described. 24 hours of itch free and low-drowsiness is very suitable for me. If you are someone having withdrawals from Zyrtec then you don't take it right. It only occurs when your body needs the Zyrtec in order for your brain to be chemically balanced. This usually occurs if you take it based on a schedule rather then when you notice your real symptoms. If you listen to your doctor and/or the label, then you will be like me as someone who is happy to be symptom free."

AllergySufferer March 14, 2012

For Hay Fever "It works better than any other medicine I have tried. Down side is the itching, which is caused by its negative effect on the liver. Therefore, I do not take it everyday. I have to wait a day or so in between."

Anonymous February 28, 2012