User Reviews for Niacin

Also known as: B-3-50, B3-500-Gr, HDL Benefit, Niacin SR, Niacor, Niacor B3, Niaspan, Nico-400, Nicobid Tempules, Nicolar, Nicotinex, Nicotinic Acid, Slo-Niacin

Learn more about Niacin.

Reviews for Niacin to treat Depression

"I have suffered with moderate to severe depression my entire life. Last August, after 9 years on Effexor, I stopped taking it because of the side effects. I tried using supplements as recommended by Julia Ross in her book The Mood Cure, but they were not effective for me. My depression became so severe last Oct. that I had to go back on to an anti-depressant (Bupropion) but this medication made my depression much worse. I was then put onto Trintellix in April. The Trintellix was helpful, but side effects soon began to appear. I happened upon an article about a psychiatrist who had used niacin for treating depression. When I googled niacin and depression, I came upon many other blogs and comments from other people who also found niacin to be effective against their struggles with depression. I was desperate to find an alternative to taking anti-depressants, so 4 weeks ago, I began supplementing with niacin plus vitamin C. (I had already been taking a vitamin B multi, magnesium, fish oil and Vit. D). I started with 100mcg niacin and have been gradually increasing the dose by 25mcg increments each day. I use only the regular niacin, not the timed release nor the non-flushing type. Since I started taking the additional niacin & vitamin C, I find that my depression is/has diminished significantly. I am no longer suffering from that bottomless well of depressive feelings that had been with me since last fall. I stopped taking the Trintellix 3 weeks ago and my depression has continued to lift."

jemmunro (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2015

"Niacin has greatly improved my life. My depressive thoughts disappeared right from the start (500mg a day now for 2 weeks. Now going up to 1000mg a day). My girlfriend has also been taking it and we've both been in a greater mood (she's also depressive). Suicidal thoughts are rare now. I no longer flush."

mia9_28 February 16, 2015

"I have suffered from severe anxiety and depression since 2002 when I had cancer and did chemo. The chemotherapy I did saved my life but it messed up my hormones so much that I went into premenopause at the age of 17. I have been on various doses of Effexor XR for the last 8 years ranging from 75-300mg a day. I needed medication to live a normal life. In the last year or two, I had been progressively getting worse until I felt like I was spiraling out of control. I had been working with my doctor to find a solution but nothing was working. Extra meds were not helping. Desperate, I tried niacin. 500mg a day. Flushing is worth it. I am now off Effexor, and on niacin instead and it works better with less side effects, only the flush."

Still crazy, but under control! March 13, 2012

"Great for depression and great for my hair."

Beepoo October 1, 2011

"I recently watched the movie Food Matters and learned that Niacin can be used to treat depression and alcoholism in addition to high cholesterol. I began taking last week, and have noticed a gradual improvement in my mood as I increase the dosage. Make sure you start low and increase gradually, though: the first time I took it I took 100mg with a light snack and ended up stripping down and standing in my kitchen panting, but there were no lasting negative effects."

Blushed November 9, 2009