User Reviews for Niacin

Also known as: B-3-50, B3-500-Gr, Niacin SR, Niacor, Niacor B3, Niaspan, Nico-400, Nicobid Tempules, Nicolar, Nicotinex, Nicotinic Acid, Slo-Niacin

Learn more about Niacin.

Reviews for Niacin to treat Depression

Review by Still crazy, but under control!:

I have suffered from severe anxiety and depression since 2002 when I had cancer and did chemo. The chemotherapy I did saved my life but it messed up my hormones so much that I went into premenopause at the age of 17. I have been on various doses of Effexor XR for the last 8 years ranging from 75-300mg a day. I needed medication to live a normal life. In the last year or two, I had been progressively getting worse until I felt like I was spiraling out of control. I had been working with my doctor to find a solution but nothing was working. Extra meds were not helping. Desperate, I tried niacin. 500mg a day. Flushing is worth it. I am now off Effexor, and on niacin instead and it works better with less side effects, only the flush.

March 13, 2012 11:05 PM

Review by Beepoo:

Great for depression and great for my hair.

October 1, 2011 11:43 AM

Review by Blushed:

I recently watched the movie Food Matters and learned that Niacin can be used to treat depression and alcoholism in addition to high cholesterol. I began taking last week, and have noticed a gradual improvement in my mood as I increase the dosage. Make sure you start low and increase gradually, though: the first time I took it I took 100mg with a light snack and ended up stripping down and standing in my kitchen panting, but there were no lasting negative effects.

November 9, 2009 5:49 PM