User Reviews for Lovastatin

Also known as: Altocor, Altoprev, Mevacor

Learn more about Lovastatin.

High Cholesterol 5 reviews 41 medications

7.4
High Cholesterol, Fa...ial Heterozygous 3 reviews 14 medications

6.7
Hyperlipoproteinemia 0 reviews 43 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperlipoproteinemia...Ia, Elevated LDL 0 reviews 30 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperlipoproteinemia...vated LDL VLDL 0 reviews 29 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Lovastatin reviews 8 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Lovastatin

Review by Zanesgrammy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Mevacor (lovastatin) for High Cholesterol: This worked better than Lipitor. I changed due to cost and my blood work is beyond excellent. I've had no adverse side effects.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 14, 2014 1:39 PM

Review by Horsecreeker:

For High Cholesterol: Constipation is my number one problem. I drink 8oz of prune juice every other day and the problem is 100% solved.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 30, 2012 5:55 PM

Review by wwaldok:

Mevacor (lovastatin) for High Cholesterol: Lowered cholesterol about 65% as well as Lipitor. Had eventual adverse effects after 1.5 years of use. Caused extreme joint and muscle tendon pain in the fingers, hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders, hips, thighs and knees. This was with the typical starting dosage for Mevacor. Lipitor has NOT had any side effects for me in over a decade of use. Different statins have different effects on different individuals, but Mevacor's side effects were crippling for me until I discontinued use. About a year later, I began 20 mg of Lipitor.

November 1, 2011 10:45 PM

Altoprev (lovastatin) for High Cholesterol: I have never had any major side effects with this medicine. I would say it is probably the best on the market, though it is expensive. When I was on another medication related to statins my eyes were RED, and they hurt. My heart ached and I felt like my days were numbed. I asked my doctor to switch me back to Altoprev and I am back to normal, full of energy, my eyes are clear and the heart pains went away. I highly recommend this to anyone suffering from high cholesterol.

March 2, 2011 11:05 PM

Review by Holtz:

For High Cholesterol: Has caused chronic pain, muscle cramps, loss of muscle.

February 28, 2011 12:11 AM

Review by hakush:

For High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: I used this Statin for almost a year (20mg/day), didn't work for me (my total was 266-275).

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 29, 2009 4:41 PM

Review by tyler57:

Mevacor (lovastatin) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: I have been on lovastatin for many years. I started with Mevacor and then tried later statins, but seemed to experience minor muscle aches from the newer ones and I requested to stay on lovastatin.

August 13, 2008 9:20 AM

Review by misspapaw:

Altoprev (lovastatin) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: Altoprev is the ONLY statin drug I can tolerate. It is due to the timed-release of the drug over 24 hours. I do not recieve that whopping dose of the drug all at once. However, my ins. Rx. coverage wil not cover it. I do not get to take it regularly, due to fixed income. It is 160.00 a month. But this is the drug for me and I get it filled about every other month.

May 5, 2008 4:29 PM