User Reviews for Simvastatin

Also known as: Zocor

Learn more about Simvastatin.

Hyperlipoproteinemia 1 reviews 43 medications

High Cholesterol, Fa...ial Heterozygous 3 reviews 14 medications

6.6
High Cholesterol 54 reviews 41 medications

High Cholesterol, Familial Homozygous 0 reviews 8 medications

3.5
Cardiovascular Risk Reduction 1 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperlipoproteinemia... beta-VLDL IDL 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperlipoproteinemia...Ia, Elevated LDL 0 reviews 30 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperlipoproteinemia...vated LDL VLDL 0 reviews 29 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperlipoproteinemia...V, Elevated VLDL 0 reviews 28 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Simvastatin reviews 59 reviews 5.9

Reviews for Simvastatin

Review by Louie135:

For High Cholesterol: About one week after I started taking it, I started with mild leg cramps. After 3 weeks, I couldn't stand it anymore. They would wake me up at night and throb, so I stopped taking it. I can't really rate effectiveness as I wasn't on it long enough.

April 7, 2014 1:40 PM

Review by bigcitydog (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Hyperlipoproteinemia: Simvastatin 40mg, one tablet taken at bedtime. I weighed about 240 lbs. This medicine is effective at lowering lipids and triglycerides when taken regularly. Clinical trials prove these medicines lower stroke & heart attack risk. Also take soluble fiber immediately after meals when possible to supplement cholesterol reduction and Vitamin B6 to lower homocysteine levels. Skip a dose if you are going to have alcohol beverages that evening or day, so it doesn't over-tax your liver. Same with acetaminophen. Most noticeable side effect is mild insomnia and some mild muscle stiffness, both managed with daily Yoga and regular exercise. Hoping to get lowering dose to 20mg in a month or so, assuming blood tests show positive results.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2014 1:41 AM

Review by moof (taken for less than 1 month):

For High Cholesterol: Tried 4 other statins. Simvastatin has no morning foot pain. Additional benefit is no more erectile dysfunction.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 28, 2013 7:26 PM

Review by SKBrus:

For High Cholesterol: I have been taking this pill for almost a year. Recently I noticed my hair feels so fine, so tonight I have stopped it. I will call my Doc in the morning. I also have felt dizzy have vision problems. This has just started in the past week. Dizzy I can handle, losing hair, not so much!

November 18, 2013 12:46 AM

Review by Chas54:

For High Cholesterol: Taking this medication and having leg cramps that became severe. Did not know the source of the cramps at night. Stopped for a month and leg cramps disappeared. Started again and immediately had night leg cramps, severe enough to get me out of bed over and over again.

November 17, 2013 7:34 AM

Review by frankske (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Zocor (simvastatin) for High Cholesterol: It worked and no side effects that I noticed.

September 23, 2013 1:30 PM

Review by #345 (taken for less than 1 month):

Zocor (simvastatin) for High Cholesterol: Only been taking for about two weeks. Feel lethargic, achy, headache, hot flashes are worse. Depression, occasional stomach pain. Muscle pain.

July 30, 2013 3:48 PM

Review by t.miller (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Cholesterol: Since I started taking simvastatin 20mg at bedtime, I am not sleeping well, joint pain, tiredness and my acid reflux is so bad I cant stand it anymore. Not sure if the simvastatin is the problem, but was not having the issues with my acid reflux while taking my nexium until I started taking simvastatin. Talked with my pharmacy and they told me that the simvastatin does not worsen acid reflux, it does seems funny, I was not having a problem with it until I started taking the simvastatin.

July 11, 2013 6:50 PM

Review by kim k (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Zocor (simvastatin) for High Cholesterol: This statin cause extreme pain in my knee and hip.

June 26, 2013 11:06 AM

Review by Chuck08854 (taken for less than 1 month):

Zocor (simvastatin) for High Cholesterol: This about the 4th time they have tried me on Statins... after a week on Zocor, have severe backaches, muscles aches, and pains in my wrists where I previously had carpel tunnel surgery. I have been on it about a week. I will stop it, since I trust my bodies response to these medicines. If you experience problems with any medicine don't keep taking it without telling your doctor.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2013 11:26 AM

Review by Sleepless I Indiana (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For High Cholesterol: Was prescribed simvastation for elevated cholesterol and family history of atherosclerosis. It was very effective in lowering my cholesterol and my side effects were minimal. I did experience insomnia after several weeks which became increasingly worse over the two years I have been taking it. I was doing good to get five hours of sleep each night, sometimes only three, however never felt tired. I have decided to stop taking it for awhile and am now sleeping a full eight hours and feeling less "edgy". Hope to lower cholesterol with exercise and diet.

November 15, 2012 11:45 PM

Review by SumnerE:

For High Cholesterol: I have been on Simvastatin (5mg/day) for a month. It has worked wonders. My High Cholesterol is family related, and without much change to my diet (besides raisin brand for cereal, and more tea), it has lowered significantly within a month. My HDL was 37, it is now 45. My LDL was 173, and is now 91. My Total Cholesterol had been 234, and it is now 154. This is great news for me, and I have not had any side effects that I have been able to feel as of yet (possibly because I'm on such a low dose). I only have rave reviews for Simvastatin.

September 28, 2012 7:40 PM

Review by Tagheart (taken for less than 1 month):

For High Cholesterol: I am on 20mg. I take it right before I go to bed. After 15 minutes my heart starts racing. However, I have no problems falling asleep. If I had to take this in the morning I wouldn't be able to stand the racing heart. Other than that, I feel good so far. My cholesterol was 204 & triglycerides are at 130. I am 43 and have started walking 3 miles at a good pace 5-6 days a week. Drinking lots of water and no caffeine. I have just had my next blood work since being on this medicine, so we'll see if it's doing it's job.

September 21, 2012 9:42 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Cholesterol: It lowered my cholesterol from 258 to 221 after one month but I have numbness in my extremities and pain in my ankles. I wake up with numb limbs and sore ankles. Everyday since I started taking this.

September 18, 2012 8:52 PM

Review by pitong:

For High Cholesterol: I am taking simvastatin after dinner meal 40mg as per my doctor's prescription. I feel fine.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 28, 2012 10:11 AM

Review by Lemanski:

For High Cholesterol: I am so happy I looked up Simvastatin here today. It was incredibly helpful. I had been having left knee pains originally and then calf and behing the thigh pains plus backaches sometimes from neck down. I now know from all the reports from users here that is was caused by this medicine.

April 1, 2012 5:00 PM

For High Cholesterol: Was on Simvastatin for approximately 8 weeks for high cholesterol. Experienced extreme muscle weakness in arms and legs, along with severe muscle spasms at night. Also began to have increased depression (have been on Paxil for 10 years), confusion, memory problems, and unexplainable irritability, anger, and paranoia. After 7 days without the Simvastatin, most of these complaints have subsided, although still having muscle pain and slight spasms at night.

February 22, 2012 7:49 AM

Review by Keith1122:

Zocor (simvastatin) for High Cholesterol: After taking Zocor for several months I experienced sleeplessness, indigestion and anxiety. Depression soon set in. Anti-depressants cannot be taken with Zocor so I stopped it. Antidepressants all came with side effects. So I stopped them too. After several weeks of counseling and breathing techniques I was back to my old self. Doctor put me back on Zocor and 2 weeks later sleeplessness, depression, indigestion are back. I am stopping this medicine.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 14, 2012 10:06 PM

For High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: Started on simvastatin about a year ago and 6 weeks into taking the medicine, my LDL was down about 40 points. About a month ago, the pharmacy switched generics (prescription came with a heads up that the color and shape of pill might be different). Now suddenly, I'm suffering from a swollen tongue and numbness of tongue and upper pallet. Not sure if this is due to the new generic (pharmacist says only the filler and dye would have changed)...but it's gotten so annoying that I went to doctor today for blood tests.

October 17, 2011 5:39 PM

Review by Barrry:

For Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: 58 yr old male. Heart attack 7 months ago, 98% blocked right coronary artery, stented. Been on Simvastatin and Plavix since I got my stent. Was on Lisinopril, but it caused hives. Not sure what is causing it but I have been freezing cold all summer, shivering cold. My legs ache almost constantly. Got blood work done this week, I will be seeing the Doctor in a few days and get the results. If I find that it was this medicine causing the chills I will discontinue it.

October 8, 2011 7:36 AM

Review by jennpugli:

For High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: I would never even know I was taking anything at all. I had to adjust my dose to a morning dose because it kept me awake but other than this no problems at all.

August 31, 2011 2:57 AM

Review by maryk12:

For High Cholesterol: Had taken medication for 8 months noticed that my muscle control was weakening and had acid reflux , which I had to take medication for. After going off this medication my muscle control strengthened and acid reflux was gone.

August 18, 2011 12:48 AM

For High Cholesterol: Started with a cholesterol of 235 and 3 months later my cholesterol went down to 140. No side effects!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 9, 2011 2:59 PM

For High Cholesterol: I take simvastatin. My level was 238 and dropped to 200 on 1 x 10 mg per day but before the 238 I was 250. I am now on 20mg and soon to take blood work and no problem at all. I take at night. I am sure it will be lower. Also My husband had 243 and he is down to 138 on one 10 mg per day but he moves a lot and I'm not as much. I had NO SIDE EFFECTS and I am medicine sensative and was scared to take it but I am so glad I did so try a low dose then up it if you don't have any side effects.

August 6, 2011 5:07 PM

For High Cholesterol: I've been on Lipitor and now simvastatin 80mg for the past 13 to 15 years. For most of these years I have had no side effects and my cholesterol went down from 238 to 104.2. I was exercising pretty regularly. However, during this past year I have started to feel a lot of joint pain in my shoulders and now in my hips. I used to walk and run on my treadmill and take walks with my wife but because of the hip pain I'm experiencing I no longer can walk farther than around the block. I also get very tired after about 3 to 4 hrs from getting up in the morning and need a nap. I am 60 years old.

July 20, 2011 6:15 PM