User Reviews for Simvastatin

Also known as: Zocor

Learn more about Simvastatin.

Hyperlipoproteinemia 1 reviews 43 medications

High Cholesterol, Fa...ial Heterozygous 3 reviews 14 medications

6.6
High Cholesterol 62 reviews 38 medications

High Cholesterol, Familial Homozygous 0 reviews 8 medications

3.5
Cardiovascular Risk Reduction 1 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperlipoproteinemia... beta-VLDL IDL 0 reviews 4 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperlipoproteinemia...Ia, Elevated LDL 0 reviews 29 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperlipoproteinemia...vated LDL VLDL 0 reviews 29 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperlipoproteinemia...V, Elevated VLDL 0 reviews 28 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Simvastatin reviews 67 reviews 6.0

Reviews for Simvastatin

Zocor (simvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "Started this med about 11 years ago. It dropped my level to below avg. I always associated my aches and pains to my age and activity level, but I've discontinued its use for about 3 weeks because my finger joints felt swollen and arthritic. I'm starting to feel a slow improvement. My additional symptoms are sore hips and other joints. To be fair, I won't be able to discern whether this is the drug or some other factor until staying off it longer."

JohnGotts (taken for 10 years or more) June 29, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "I am 59 , very active, on thyroid and blood pressure medication for at least a year. All was good. Started taking simvastatin due cholesterol results. Took one at night after dinner 20 mg for two days. On the second day, while driving , I was getting extremely sleepy. Kept waking myself up by slapping my face. I had a blank moment while driving...woke up when the car hit a kerb with a thud!. Obviously now I don't think I will take this simvastatin. I will have to tell my doctor that she almost lost her patient and took a few other people off ."

Ditasnz June 27, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "have taken Simvastin 80mg for eight years. Cholestrol level is down and stable. I wake up some nights around 3pm.wide awake.I get irritable and angry at times..high tummy pains.some days the need to urinate quite often.I didnt realise until reading information here that it may be the statins causing these side effects. All in all im happy with the results."

happy 64 yr old June 18, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "Simvastatin was A total nightmare for me. Lower half of back,hips,and legs were so painful,I could barely walk. For me It was like A Intense burning sensation.And this was after my first dose,and this was my last."

pepziman April 4, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "I have been taking simvastatin for 10 years to treat high cholesterol with good success. I have not experienced any adverse side effects."

Phil1168 February 25, 2015

Zocor (simvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "Been taking Zocor for a while now. Between 1-2 years. Seemed to feel OK, but heart always felt like it was skipping beats. Then about 3 weeks ago it happened every afternoon about 4PM daily scaring me because they were lasting for a long time. I don't know anything but this medicine so I figured this must be my problem. So I just stopped the Zocor {simvastatin} and to amazement no more heart palapations."

wooddmann January 18, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "Started suffering acid reflux after a year on Simvastatin. Struggled to swallow it, felt as if it was lodged in my throat. Stopped taking it a month ago, having blood test this week to check cholesterol level."

Jan T (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 5, 2015

Zocor (simvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "The side effects of this medication are terrible. The dizziness, headache, and not being able to understand what was going on, felt like I was in a cloud. "

Itsyb0327 (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2014

For High Cholesterol: "About one week after I started taking it, I started with mild leg cramps. After 3 weeks, I couldn't stand it anymore. They would wake me up at night and throb, so I stopped taking it. I can't really rate effectiveness as I wasn't on it long enough."

Louie135 April 7, 2014

For Hyperlipoproteinemia: "Simvastatin 40mg, one tablet taken at bedtime. I weighed about 240 lbs. This medicine is effective at lowering lipids and triglycerides when taken regularly. Clinical trials prove these medicines lower stroke & heart attack risk. Also take soluble fiber immediately after meals when possible to supplement cholesterol reduction and Vitamin B6 to lower homocysteine levels. Skip a dose if you are going to have alcohol beverages that evening or day, so it doesn't over-tax your liver. Same with acetaminophen. Most noticeable side effect is mild insomnia and some mild muscle stiffness, both managed with daily Yoga and regular exercise. Hoping to get lowering dose to 20mg in a month or so, assuming blood tests show positive results."

bigcitydog (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2014

For High Cholesterol: "Tried 4 other statins. Simvastatin has no morning foot pain. Additional benefit is no more erectile dysfunction."

moof (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2013

For High Cholesterol: "I have been taking this pill for almost a year. Recently I noticed my hair feels so fine, so tonight I have stopped it. I will call my Doc in the morning. I also have felt dizzy have vision problems. This has just started in the past week. Dizzy I can handle, losing hair, not so much!"

SKBrus November 18, 2013

For High Cholesterol: "Taking this medication and having leg cramps that became severe. Did not know the source of the cramps at night. Stopped for a month and leg cramps disappeared. Started again and immediately had night leg cramps, severe enough to get me out of bed over and over again."

Chas54 November 17, 2013

Zocor (simvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "It worked and no side effects that I noticed."

frankske (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 23, 2013

Zocor (simvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "Only been taking for about two weeks. Feel lethargic, achy, headache, hot flashes are worse. Depression, occasional stomach pain. Muscle pain."

#345 (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2013

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "Since I started taking simvastatin 20mg at bedtime, I am not sleeping well, joint pain, tiredness and my acid reflux is so bad I cant stand it anymore. Not sure if the simvastatin is the problem, but was not having the issues with my acid reflux while taking my nexium until I started taking simvastatin. Talked with my pharmacy and they told me that the simvastatin does not worsen acid reflux, it does seems funny, I was not having a problem with it until I started taking the simvastatin."

t.miller (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2013

Zocor (simvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "This statin cause extreme pain in my knee and hip."

kim k (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 26, 2013

Zocor (simvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "This about the 4th time they have tried me on Statins... after a week on Zocor, have severe backaches, muscles aches, and pains in my wrists where I previously had carpel tunnel surgery. I have been on it about a week. I will stop it, since I trust my bodies response to these medicines. If you experience problems with any medicine don't keep taking it without telling your doctor."

Chuck08854 (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2013

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "Was prescribed simvastation for elevated cholesterol and family history of atherosclerosis. It was very effective in lowering my cholesterol and my side effects were minimal. I did experience insomnia after several weeks which became increasingly worse over the two years I have been taking it. I was doing good to get five hours of sleep each night, sometimes only three, however never felt tired. I have decided to stop taking it for awhile and am now sleeping a full eight hours and feeling less "edgy". Hope to lower cholesterol with exercise and diet."

Sleepless I Indiana (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2012

For High Cholesterol: "I have been on Simvastatin (5mg/day) for a month. It has worked wonders. My High Cholesterol is family related, and without much change to my diet (besides raisin brand for cereal, and more tea), it has lowered significantly within a month. My HDL was 37, it is now 45. My LDL was 173, and is now 91. My Total Cholesterol had been 234, and it is now 154. This is great news for me, and I have not had any side effects that I have been able to feel as of yet (possibly because I'm on such a low dose). I only have rave reviews for Simvastatin."

SumnerE September 28, 2012

For High Cholesterol: "I am on 20mg. I take it right before I go to bed. After 15 minutes my heart starts racing. However, I have no problems falling asleep. If I had to take this in the morning I wouldn't be able to stand the racing heart. Other than that, I feel good so far. My cholesterol was 204 & triglycerides are at 130. I am 43 and have started walking 3 miles at a good pace 5-6 days a week. Drinking lots of water and no caffeine. I have just had my next blood work since being on this medicine, so we'll see if it's doing it's job."

Tagheart (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2012

For High Cholesterol: "It lowered my cholesterol from 258 to 221 after one month but I have numbness in my extremities and pain in my ankles. I wake up with numb limbs and sore ankles. Everyday since I started taking this."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2012

For High Cholesterol: "I am taking simvastatin after dinner meal 40mg as per my doctor's prescription. I feel fine."

pitong May 28, 2012

For High Cholesterol: "I am so happy I looked up Simvastatin here today. It was incredibly helpful. I had been having left knee pains originally and then calf and behing the thigh pains plus backaches sometimes from neck down. I now know from all the reports from users here that is was caused by this medicine. "

Lemanski April 1, 2012

For High Cholesterol: "Was on Simvastatin for approximately 8 weeks for high cholesterol. Experienced extreme muscle weakness in arms and legs, along with severe muscle spasms at night. Also began to have increased depression (have been on Paxil for 10 years), confusion, memory problems, and unexplainable irritability, anger, and paranoia. After 7 days without the Simvastatin, most of these complaints have subsided, although still having muscle pain and slight spasms at night."

Anonymous February 22, 2012