User Reviews for Simvastatin

Also known as: Zocor

Learn more about Simvastatin.

Hyperlipoproteinemia...Ia, Elevated LDL 1 reviews 29 medications

Hyperlipoproteinemia 1 reviews 43 medications

High Cholesterol, Fa...ial Heterozygous 3 reviews 15 medications

6.6
High Cholesterol 75 reviews 47 medications

5.5
Summary of Simvastatin reviews 81 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Simvastatin

For High Cholesterol: "Lowered Cholesterol..took for about 4 months...never again..I found myself in the emergency room often reporting extreme weakness..especially in legs and head. I felt like I was floating instead of walking. Extreme headaches. I'm a very active 40 year Old! I felt like I couldn't stand up or walk without help. Not to mention shortness of breath and sharp pains in my legs. Stopped taking as soon as I realized Simvastatin may have been causing it about a few days ago. I still feel spasms in my legs but not as severe and my strength has returned."

tricia34l April 27, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "I was put on 20 mg.of the drug, Zocor AKA simvastin because my "bad" cholesterol (the LDL) was high;160. This was the first time ever tried a Statin drug and will be the last time. I was up every night urinating. No sleep. I was getting muscle spams like a charlie horse in my legs. My arms felt heavy. I was irritable, had no patience, and no ENERGY. I felt like I was in a fog. I had short term memory confusion. Never again. For ME? Diet change, exercise, 81 mg of aspirin and CoQ 10. Check with your Dr,Good luck!"

So done! (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "Eyes get blurry, get severe Migraine's, itchy bumps on my head & neck. Coughing starts up like I have a chest cold. My doctor is trying to find one that works for me. So far Simvastatin & Pravastatin do the same thing to me. I'm Allergic to both of these."

NeeNa957 (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "Makes "pinging" pains in my legs especially around my knees by the 4th day. Took Motrin, but will ask to change meds."

Mehki (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "I have been on 20 mg Zocor now for 3 month's. Within the past 6 weeks I have developed muscle ache in my legs, stomach and ribs, insomnia that I never had before along with depression and a general feeling of lethargy. High time I had a chat with my Doctor I think, if it's zocor that's causing this, then it's not worth taking"

Sophielulu March 30, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "Took my cholesterol down. After one year developed what I believe to be awful side affects from this med. Muscle weakness and neuropathy at the top of the list. Went off statins, felt better after a few months, but took about 3 years to feel normal. I know others that also had side affects from statins. I will not take this again."

Viking1957 January 11, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "Neuropathy, muscle weakness, chills, plus more. I only took 10 mg a day, side affects didn't show up for one year. Took 4 years to get over all the pain. Only reason I gave it a 3 was because it took my numbers down. My doctor did not argue with me when I wanted off this med. I know other people who also have stopped this med because of side affects. Husband switched off this drug to another statin as he developed bad neuropathy in his feet and can barely feel them. Started as a burning pain. The only reason he is still taking a statin is because he had a heart attack. He is off the simvistatin."

Lean 2000 December 27, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "My Dr. put me on Simvastatin. My cholesterol reading 134. I guess it was a birthday present. I was on it for two years. Complained about pain and dizziness. Got Gabapentin and Vicadin. Pain persisted. Then after about twenty-two months I felt something crystalize in my legs muscles. My Dr ignored it. I had this Dr for more then forty years and never associated the medicine with my pain. Utterly stupid. Never trust your health to anyone. I have been in severe pain for the last eight years. Get off Simvastatin immediately when you feel pain. I had a muscle biopsy but I am unable to get the results. In a matter of two years I poisoned myself into an invalid. I spend most of my days in a chair. It is too painful to walk."

jansteen54 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 23, 2015

For Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IIa, Elevated LDL: "Age 51 have been on it at 20mg daily for 10 years. Have had good cholesterol numbers and no side effects at all. Went off and retested - cholesterol, LDL was off the charts so going right back on it. While off didn't notice any changes or improvements in pain, etc. It gets an A from me."

Lavron December 22, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "I experienced night time Severe Reflux and Aspiration, gasping for air with a over whelming near death feeling. Plus I had the night cramps. I Stopped the med. Changed my life, will never take it again."

DeathTrap (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 10, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "I've been on Simvastatin 10mg for the last 6 months. I've noticed the last 4 months or so severe pain in my legs & hips. I can barely move sometimes. Sleeping is very painful at night. There is a stiffness and I can barely move without pain. I'm going off this Cholesterol medication. Calling my Dr soon! I have not had my blood work rechecked yet so I don't know what my numbers are."

Carolyn97 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 8, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "Taking drug for over 24 years...Past three years complained to doctors of breathing problems...recently told of kidney function defect...No mention of simvastatin concerns. I checked internet and am convinced side effects mentioned are taking place. I am going to different doctor to check out concerns"

pocono0001 July 20, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "I took this drug for 3 months. I just stopped it now with doctor's approval. I stopped because I was getting tightness in my chest, burning sensations on my skin, sore breasts, and was getting depressed. Yes it did lower my cholesterol, but it's not worth it to me if it causes depression. Apparently, this drug can inhibit serotonin production. If you have any history of depressive disorder, I would NOT take this drug. My father took the pill as well, but just stopped because he has had trouble with walking this year. He had burning sensations down his legs this year. We think his walking troubles *may* have something to do with Simvastatin. Perhaps Simvastatin doesn't hurt everyone, but my opinion of it is poor. Trust your gut."

RoseMarion (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2015

Zocor (simvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I am currently on 20mg Zocor and started taking it six months ago. After I got my cholesterol checked again, the LDL went down 90 points! No side effects."

Jamie Lee July 2, 2015

Zocor (simvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "Started this med about 11 years ago. It dropped my level to below avg. I always associated my aches and pains to my age and activity level, but I've discontinued its use for about 3 weeks because my finger joints felt swollen and arthritic. I'm starting to feel a slow improvement. My additional symptoms are sore hips and other joints. To be fair, I won't be able to discern whether this is the drug or some other factor until staying off it longer."

JohnGotts (taken for 10 years or more) June 29, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "I am 59 , very active, on thyroid and blood pressure medication for at least a year. All was good. Started taking simvastatin due cholesterol results. Took one at night after dinner 20 mg for two days. On the second day, while driving , I was getting extremely sleepy. Kept waking myself up by slapping my face. I had a blank moment while driving...woke up when the car hit a kerb with a thud!. Obviously now I don't think I will take this simvastatin. I will have to tell my doctor that she almost lost her patient and took a few other people off ."

Ditasnz June 27, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "have taken Simvastin 80mg for eight years. Cholestrol level is down and stable. I wake up some nights around 3pm.wide awake.I get irritable and angry at times..high tummy pains.some days the need to urinate quite often.I didnt realise until reading information here that it may be the statins causing these side effects. All in all im happy with the results."

happy 64 yr old June 18, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "Simvastatin was A total nightmare for me. Lower half of back,hips,and legs were so painful,I could barely walk. For me It was like A Intense burning sensation.And this was after my first dose,and this was my last."

pepziman April 4, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "I have been taking simvastatin for 10 years to treat high cholesterol with good success. I have not experienced any adverse side effects."

Phil1168 February 25, 2015

Zocor (simvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "Been taking Zocor for a while now. Between 1-2 years. Seemed to feel OK, but heart always felt like it was skipping beats. Then about 3 weeks ago it happened every afternoon about 4PM daily scaring me because they were lasting for a long time. I don't know anything but this medicine so I figured this must be my problem. So I just stopped the Zocor {simvastatin} and to amazement no more heart palapations."

wooddmann January 18, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "Started suffering acid reflux after a year on Simvastatin. Struggled to swallow it, felt as if it was lodged in my throat. Stopped taking it a month ago, having blood test this week to check cholesterol level."

Jan T (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 5, 2015

Zocor (simvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "The side effects of this medication are terrible. The dizziness, headache, and not being able to understand what was going on, felt like I was in a cloud. "

Itsyb0327 (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2014

For High Cholesterol: "About one week after I started taking it, I started with mild leg cramps. After 3 weeks, I couldn't stand it anymore. They would wake me up at night and throb, so I stopped taking it. I can't really rate effectiveness as I wasn't on it long enough."

Louie135 April 7, 2014

For Hyperlipoproteinemia: "Simvastatin 40mg, one tablet taken at bedtime. I weighed about 240 lbs. This medicine is effective at lowering lipids and triglycerides when taken regularly. Clinical trials prove these medicines lower stroke & heart attack risk. Also take soluble fiber immediately after meals when possible to supplement cholesterol reduction and Vitamin B6 to lower homocysteine levels. Skip a dose if you are going to have alcohol beverages that evening or day, so it doesn't over-tax your liver. Same with acetaminophen. Most noticeable side effect is mild insomnia and some mild muscle stiffness, both managed with daily Yoga and regular exercise. Hoping to get lowering dose to 20mg in a month or so, assuming blood tests show positive results."

bigcitydog (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2014

For High Cholesterol: "Tried 4 other statins. Simvastatin has no morning foot pain. Additional benefit is no more erectile dysfunction."

moof (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2013