Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Niacin

Also known as: B-3-50, B3-500-Gr, Niacin SR, Niacor, Niacor B3, Niaspan, Nico-400, Nicobid Tempules, Nicolar, Nicotinex, Nicotinic Acid, Slo-Niacin

Learn more about Niacin.

Depression 3 reviews 75 medications

Hyperlipoproteinemia 0 reviews 43 medications

Hyperlipoproteinemia...V, Elevated VLDL 1 reviews 28 medications

Niacin Deficiency 1 reviews 11 medications

High Cholesterol 30 reviews 41 medications

6.5
Hyperlipoproteinemia...lomicrons VLDL 0 reviews 23 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pellagra 0 reviews 11 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Niacin reviews 35 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Niacin

Review by GLAD TO BE ALIVE (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: Niaspan was prescribed by my doctor for Lipid Protein little a. My cholestrol was about 400+. I took one dose (500mg) at night and within 30 minutes I was in emergency room with anaphylactic shock. I don't remember much of anything till I woke up the next morning and was told how bad it almost was for me. I take 8 statins to maintain a cholesterol of 200.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 18, 2014 9:04 AM
Review by DaleXT: User Rating:

niacin for High Cholesterol: I've just started Niacin. 250 mg daily for a week, now 500mg. I'm concerned because it shoots my blood pressure up from 125/79 to 166/99 for the hour that the flush lasts. I take it with food at supper time. I get strong flushes about every other day.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 28, 2013 12:34 AM
Review by Trainhard: User Rating:

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: Age 51. Went to get my regular bloodwork with my Doctor. My cholestral has always been >200 and have a family history of Heart Attack and stroke. I tried everything over the years including Crestor which was an absolute disaster for me after only 4 doses. Since then tried the natural methods Red Yeast Rice (may as well be on a statin the side effects are basically the same) and lots of fish and Krill oil. I was disappointed that my bad cholesterol was high after all that still and my number was 219 total. Based on my unwillingness to try another Statin my Dr. suggested a 500mg pill of Niaspan to be taken nightly. I have experienced no flushing as yet after a month on it and really no bad side effects. New blood results 192! Will check back in 3 mos.

July 29, 2013 8:21 PM
Review by braziej (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

B3-500-Gr (niacin) for High Cholesterol: My cholesterol has dropped 21 points since I started taking Niacin. The only side effects I experience is flushing of the body (like prickly heat) and itching sensations.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 25, 2013 2:50 PM
Review by Micaiah: User Rating:

niacin for Niacin Deficiency: I discontinued use due to nervousness/anxiety that I felt was caused by the Niacin.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 15, 2013 1:25 AM
Review by goyapiel: User Rating:

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: Gave me rash/hives.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 12, 2013 11:58 PM
Review by printer bob (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: I take 1000mg two times a day. Taking 325 mg aspirin before I take the Niaspan helps with the flushing. I have been on Niaspan for about 3 years now, my numbers are down 10%. The little bit of flushing I do get is a lot better than the severe joint pain I had with the statin medications. I recommend taking Niaspan. It is working for me.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 23, 2013 11:59 AM
Review by StrongOne (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Slo-Niacin (niacin) for High Cholesterol: My doctor wanted me to take statins with 225 cholesterol. I didn't want to (63 yrs old). She then suggested 500 mg of Slo-Niacin twice a day with a baby aspirin. I started it but in a few days I was terribly constipated. I backed off to once a day which helped. Then I started taking potassium iodine (kelp) and the constipation problem is completely solved - better than ever as I've always been constipated - probably slow thyroid. Anyway, when I was taking the two Slo-Niacins a day, I felt 20 years younger. Going up a flight of stairs felt like walking on a flat surface. Now one a day so I only feel 10 years younger. I went on a hike yesterday where I walked on a steep path for 45 min and it was like flat again.

March 28, 2013 9:06 PM
Review by baby marge: User Rating:

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: Woke up and felt like I was on fire. Skin was red and my heart was pounding. Nauseated and very itchy. Calling my doctor in the morning. It is not worth it. This has happened twice but this time it is worse. Feel very sick from it. My skin is so red.

March 19, 2013 4:32 AM
Review by Dan0 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

niacin for High Cholesterol: I started taking Niacin for my high cholesterol about two years ago. I was taking 500mg at dinner every day with no noticeable side effects for about a year. I decided to increase the dosage. 1000mg at dinner time. My teeth began to bother me. I didn't make the connection at first. I never have problems with my teeth. I eventually figured out it was the Niacin. I quit taking it and my teeth quit aching. Anyway. I wanted to put this out there for others that might be having this experience.

October 6, 2012 10:20 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Niaspan (niacin) for Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IV, Elevated VLDL: I have been taking Niaspan ER 2000mg for three months. I am scheduled to get my first lab tests to determine its effectiveness on lowering my elevated Lpa level and whether my liver function is okay. I have noticed that the medicine needs to be taken by 930 or 1000pm. If I take the medication too late in the evening, I still can feel the effects of Niaspan when I get up for work the next morning. I also noticed that taking it with water alone, causes the symptoms to be much worse than taking it with a small glass of milk or snack. So I take it before 10pm with a small glass of milk or snack, and there seems to be very little symptoms.

June 27, 2012 2:01 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: Problems with flushing until doctor told me not to eat strawberries or chocolate in the evening. I can eat them before lunch. I take Niaspan on going to bed. I eat 2 Graham crackers and 8 oz of milk when I take it. This has resolved all my problems with the medicine.

April 29, 2012 5:48 PM
Review by Still crazy, but under control!: User Rating:

niacin for Depression: I have suffered from severe anxiety and depression since 2002 when I had cancer and did chemo. The chemotherapy I did saved my life but it messed up my hormones so much that I went into premenopause at the age of 17. I have been on various doses of Effexor XR for the last 8 years ranging from 75-300mg a day. I needed medication to live a normal life. In the last year or two, I had been progressively getting worse until I felt like I was spiraling out of control. I had been working with my doctor to find a solution but nothing was working. Extra meds were not helping. Desperate, I tried niacin. 500mg a day. Flushing is worth it. I am now off Effexor, and on niacin instead and it works better with less side effects, only the flush.

March 13, 2012 11:05 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

niacin for High Cholesterol: Lowered triglycerides by 50%. Severe muscle ache in legs. Discontinued.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 23, 2012 9:51 AM
Review by tochoj: User Rating:

niacin for High Cholesterol: After two years of taking 1g per day I developed a rash; at first with itch then it seemed to be like a very bad sunburn. Areas affected included ankles, legs, thighs, belly and biceps. A trip to the doctor, I stopped taking and went home to lots of cool showers. After a week of walking around the house naked (just the touch of clothes caused burning and itching) the rash has begun to subside.

October 16, 2011 10:06 PM
Review by Beepoo: User Rating:

niacin for Depression: Great for depression and great for my hair.

October 1, 2011 11:43 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: Lowered my cholesterol but after 6 weeks I had to discontinue due to hives.

September 25, 2011 3:47 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: When major diet changes and exercise hardly changed cholesterol at all I was started on 1500mg Niaspan. I do experience flushing, several times a month. Wake up hot and feel like I am burning up and itchy all over. If it delays another heart attack like 14 years ago it is a small price to pay.

September 19, 2011 4:53 PM
Review by angelfish0443: User Rating:

niacin for High Cholesterol: The third dose I took affected me very negatively as I broke out in hives and looked like I had a bad sunburn and I was scratching like crazy.

August 26, 2011 11:27 AM
Review by BeeJayGee: User Rating:

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: I have taken Niaspan 2000 mg for several years now. It has had great success in raising my HDL and keeping my triglycerides low. For years, I had minimal problems with flushing. But now recently, I have had a number of episodes where I have woken up in the middle of the night with almost unbearable itching/burning skin. I took a break from the Niaspan for a couple nights, and then when I tried it again the itching was worse. I am going to have to discontinue this and consult with my doctor about what to do next to keep my numbers good.

April 7, 2011 9:10 AM
Review by bewitch1: User Rating:

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: I've been on Niaspan for about 2 months, and its has been like a miracle medicine for my condition. I suffer with ulcers really bad on my fingers. Before starting the Niaspan I had ulcers on every finger on both hands (very, very, painful), was on pain medicines constantly, however I'm now off the pain medicines since last week, ulcers are drying up tremendously. The flushing is awful, the burning, and itching is hard to describe. I called my doctor and he said we can try something else, but this is working and I'm trying to hang with it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 13, 2011 2:30 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: Went on Niacin @ 8000mg fifteen years ago. Now on Niaspan @ 2000mg for last five years. First medicine that has worked well with my body. My HDL stays in the 70s and total Cholesterol under 120. Dosing time and other foods have to be managed to suppress flushing.

January 16, 2011 1:32 PM
Review by chelofte: User Rating:

niacin for High Cholesterol: I've been taking 500 mg niacin tablets twice daily (morning and night) for 5 years to treat congenitally low levels of HDL. Over that time, my HDL levels have increased from 25 to 60, and triglycerides have dropped from 150 to 60. The niacin treatment has been so successful that I have managed to drop simvastatin (Zocor) from my regimen. I still get mild flushing symptoms occasionally, but it is a small price to pay for the great results.

December 27, 2010 1:44 AM
Review by Ashleyp74: User Rating:

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: We believe this medication Niaspan has caused liver failure in our father, that is what the Doctors told us so please anyone on this please have your liver function tested. It is easily doe by a blood test.

December 21, 2010 8:52 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: Been taking time release 2000mg at night for three years now, don't know why it's so expensive but it's the only thing that has ever raised my good cholesterol. If I wake up in the middle of the night, I do have the heat feelings but can live with it. Whatever raises my good cholesterol is the best I can do, since it's so low!

November 24, 2010 7:24 PM