User Reviews for Methadone (Page 2)

Also known as: Dolophine, Methadone Diskets, Methadose, Methadose Sugar-Free

Learn more about Methadone.

Opiate Withdrawal 144 reviews 11 medications

Chronic Pain 71 reviews 108 medications

8.9
Pain 148 reviews 1059 medications

8.5
Summary of Methadone reviews 363 reviews 8.8

Reviews for Methadone

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Methadone saved my life, all the negative reviews on other sites are simply biased. I'm sure some had truly bad experiences, but it's only human nature to go out of your way to post something bad rather than something positive. I've been on methadone for almost 3 months and I'm holding stable at 85mg of liquid dosing at the clinic every morning. Mid November I'll have qualified for my second weekly take home, since Sunday is automatic when you start. Only for about the first week did I have drowsiness. I've been 100% clean off of all other substances since day 1. Clean urines. I came home and got clean when I had my son this past summer, and without him as my motivation and methadone as my help, I can easily say I wouldn't be sitting here."

kaceyxleigh (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I'm a 37 yr old female.I used from the age of 15-30 I've been on methadone for almost 7 yrs and I am so grateful. If I hadn't go on methadone I'd probably be DEAD! If used the way it's supposed to be Methadone is a life saver. The only reason I didn't give it a 10 is because it's also very hard to get free of but I'd rather be in Methadone my whole life than be on Heroine. I wouldn't last to long if I ever got hooked on heroine again. Don't be scared to try it, it's a life saver."

Happycleanmommyof3 October 10, 2015

For Chronic Pain: "I find this to be the best and most affordable pain medicine on the market, I live with chronic p pain from 4 abdominal surgeries for Endo and several broken/shattered bone is wrist and foot since I have osteroperosis also, and a torn rotator cuff injury as well now, I take 2-3 a day 10mg, makes me a little tired some days and problems with constipation since I have loads of adhesions from stomach surgeries, that adds to the constipation too but I can live a normal life now, and I thank God that my doctor prescribes it for my pain as some doctors would rather have me take 8 Percocets a day or have more surg, and they don't help half as much as the 2-3 methadone tablets I take as needed. They are also so cheap in price compared to other drug"

JoJo80 October 7, 2015

For Chronic Pain: "I was prescribed methadone about 10 years ago. I didn't like taking a lot of the short term medications because of all the side effects. Methadone helps me with my pain more than the other drugs I had been prescribed. I function a lot better taking methadone and have no side effects. methadone works for longer periods of time and I don't have to worry about all the different effects other drugs gave me. I take 20mg a day. I have another pain medication I take if needed but seldom do I need to take it because methadone works so well."

tysontwin2 October 6, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "This is my 2nd time in mmt and I wish I had never quit the first time. Methadone is A life saver! The only downside is the weight gain and sweating but I'm working out this time around to try and avoid the weight gain. I used a gram and a half of heroin a day now I'm on 100mg methadone and doing great"

Shaunzie (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 4, 2015

For Chronic Pain: "This is the second time I have been on Methadone for chronic back pain. I weened myself off Methadone a couple years ago. My condition has worsened and pain doctor's don't like to prescribe narcotics anymore. I was in so much pain, and was on the verge of suicide, so my primary doctor called my pain doctor and asked him to prescribe Methadone. This has been a lifesaver. Still in pain, but can function now."

Helps with pain (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2015

For Chronic Pain: "I was offered 20mg/day of this medication at pain management but was afraid to try it. I had gotten a hold of a few and tried one 10mg pill for extreme fibromyalgia pain because I ran 3 days short on my normal pain meds. 12 hours later and I am still pain free. I'd rather use this once a day than oxycodone 3-4x a day. Mind you, I did extensive research before using the medication. I like the fact that I have been pain free all day without feeling loopy or high. No cravings or discomfort from withdrawing from other pain meds. Would definitely recommend this for anyone with chronic pain or if you just want to detox comfortably."

spooky607 (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2015

For Chronic Pain: "The only meds I have ever taken that takes most of the pain away and last longer than all other meds!"

Lit-Ricky September 24, 2015

For Chronic Pain: "I have had chronic pain for almost ten years and have tried other pain medication but methadone by far works the best for me. It is effects are long lasting and if it was not for having a great doctor that monitors my usage, made me sign a contract saying I would not get other pain meds from other doctors, gives random drug screenings to make sure that I actually do take the meds and do not use any street drugs. I am subject at any time to pill counts to make sure I am not using too many pills. I am very grateful to have a doctor that is willing to work with someone that has chronic pain not pass the buck to another doctor."

gramma1231 September 23, 2015

For Chronic Pain: "Degenerative Disc Disease-Lower Back and other age/arthritis related pain: Was on Vicodin (hydrocodone and acetaminophen) for 5 years, which helped some. Then on to Oxycodone for several months, which helped a little more but had side effects of nausea, stomach upset (acid reflux), difficulty thinking (euphoria), and quick tolerance and dependence. Now, after 3 full months of methadone, 10mg tablet three times per day orally; my pain is well managed, no problems with thinking (no 'high'), no nausea, or stomach upset. Tolerance has been small. Methadone is a powerful opiate analgesic and I did build up a strong dependency (WD's after a day or two of reduced (50%) dosing), but no interdose WD's with normal dosing. DANGER! OD will kill!"

Grabdog (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2015

Methadone Diskets (methadone) for Opiate Withdrawal: "I was doing any and all narcotics that I could get my hands on now I'm taking 100mg of methadone a day. I honestly think it saved my life. I know its saved my marriage."

mikeslady79 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 18, 2015

Methadose (methadone) for Opiate Withdrawal: "I've been on methadone linctus for 27 years now. The dose has varied as the roundabout of doctors & care workers has come and gone from 50ml [1mg to 1 ml] right up to 140ml. It for me ha sbeen a chemical ball and chain holding me to a chemist and a doctor. It rots your mind and body away slowly. I wish they had just given me pharmaceutical heroin and be done with i. Methadone in my opinion is the most vile drug. use subutex always. I am too old now and it wasn't about when I started to take it from one who knows. Subutex is the way to go"

garboabc September 4, 2015

For Chronic Pain: "I have had the same experiences as many others - chronic pain. I have tried all prescription pain relief which has led to dependency. This has been helped by methadone. However, it surprises me that this page reads like an endorsement for the drug... methadone IS still a drug and a highly addictive one, at that. I have read people saying 100 mgs/day and 10 years of use. Methadone can be effective but, it is not an ideal substitution for other drugs, There is a bad stigma attached because it CAN be dangerous. I hope that no one chooses to self- medicate after reading these comments and I most definitely don't want kids to get the impression that it is safe to take in such high dosages or at all without a prescribing physician. Good luck to everyone."

xrtjm136 August 30, 2015

For Pain: "Its a great drug for pain, I have been on every pain med out there and this as by far been the best, For you people who say "I took 2 tabs about 90 mins apart. Did not sleep a wink all night. I will discontinue taking this medicine. " And things like that. You need to give it more then a day or even a month to work itself into your system. Give it time."

Epr73399 August 26, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Methadone helped with my chronic lower back pain. I worked up to 80 mg a day. Doctor had his license suspended. Cold turkey withdrawal!!! On day 7 and its pure hell! Oh yeah at first I was great, could move work you name it. But after NO Dr would see me because of who my previous Dr was I had to withdrawal! Beware my friends when you go off methadone you will hate your Dr for giving it to you and wish you were dead to stop the horrible pain. And it takes months to feel normal again. Just getting up to get water takes a long agonizing experience! Plz get off soon with professional help. I didn't have that. Hospital detox was too full so sent me home with blood pressure 90/60 and falling. Had to call ambulance to go back!"

Jtmich (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 17, 2015

For Pain: "In 1999 the doctor gave me Percocet for avascular necroses of the knees and also have a really bad disc (the lowest) on my back that is bad and sends pain down my leg. I also have rotator cuff issues. In 2014 I started needing more oxy so I went up to 120mg a day, and then at night the coming down from it was awful, with more pain than there actually was because withdrawal starts very soon after it wears off. I was switched to methadone 20mg a day (liquid 5mg 4x a day). It's a miracle. No psychological issues I am finally my happy self again and a 85% decrease in pain. Maybe if I went up to 30mg a day it would be 95%. but TAKE EXACTLY AS DIRECTED, I guess it can be very dangerous if you don't."

movieman (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Go for the methadone. I've been an opiate addict for 10 years. I've been on methadone for two months now and I feel better than I ever have. I get my dose early in the morning and it keeps me well all day. I hardly ever think about getting high anymore. It's a better life. It works. It will take a week or two to find your appropriate dose but when you do you will feel so much better. I go to work and take care of my family. My love life with my life is better than ever. I can play with my son outside. It's great. If there's hope for me, there's hope for you too, my friend."

feelingbetterthanever July 5, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal: "In the summer of 2009 I found out I was pregnant, yay.....No I was addicted to heroin and a large amount of it daily, I could not continue this as long as another life was growing inside of me. Methadone maintenance was my only option. I had my child on methadone and began detoxing right away small amounts at a time like 2 mg per week. It's been 5 years and I went from 95 mgs to 15 mgs there were months at a time I just chose to linger on a dose just out of fear of being completely off. I am doing fine I'm a happy mom who lives a normal life and looking at me would never see any hints of my past. I'm a completely different person and ready to be done. There is only 15 mg between my life now and the life I used to lead. It works"

Has worked wonders when nothing else would June 22, 2015

For Chronic Pain: "Neck fusion, lower back pain, nerve damage, I highly recommend this to get your life back"

Sgtjohn June 16, 2015

For Pain: "This is by far the best medicine for chronic back pain. These pain doctor's need to realize not everyone is a drug addict. All the other medication have serious side effects that they are substituting for narcotics. The only side effect is constipation, but they now have prescription medicine for this."

Tired of Pain!!! (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2015

For Chronic Pain: "I've been taking this medicine for almost 4 years and I have had some horrible experiences, and side effects almost all of them, but there is one that's not listed my Teeth, all of them are breaking off to the gum line I wear a permanent bridge and the teeth that the bridge is bonded to have broken off now I have one tooth holding on a four teeth bridge and I have so much bone loss that all of my teeth are so loose that I could probably pull them out with my fingers, I don't see anything about this medicine in the list of side effects about it eating up the enamel and bone in your mouth does anyone know or have experienced the same problem and if there is a class action lawsuit about Methadone thank you "

Fishingirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 6, 2015

For Chronic Pain: "I've been on Methadone for 5 years due to chronic pain from diffuse scleroderma and acute myositis. I tried every possible OTC med, narcotics (including high doses of morphine and fentanyl), Neurontin, Lyrica, physical therapy and nerve blocks. Nothing helped and I barely functioned....could barely walk to the bathroom and thought suicide was my only option for relief. Fortunately a new pain doctor recommended Methadone. Titrated up to 20mg 3 times a day with wonderful results along with oxycodone 30mg 3-4 times a day for breakthrough pain. I was able to walk 3 miles each day, no sedation or side effects. A new doctor tried to wean me off both with horrible pain returning...changed docs and back to previous doses. A Godsend drug!!"

Wendyhappiness June 3, 2015

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Pain: "I have suffered from severe pain since 2004 relating to Pancreatic Disease, Peripheral Neuropathy, Back (unspecified) and have been treated by a Pain Management Specialist since March of 2004. I have been treated on many different pain management therapies and I have been on Methadone for 8 out of these 11 years. Out of all the pain medications I have been on, Methadone has proved to be the most effective for my pain, although I do not think I can ever undergo a rapid withdrawal again. I am on 150 MG a day and it is prescribed in conjunction with Gabapentin and another non-narcotic medication called Prialt, which is a non-narcotic medicine which is infused via a pain pump. Methadone has saved my quality of life, but at a huge cost."

brooklynoxy (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 17, 2015

For Chronic Pain: "Methadone is THE ONLY drug that handles my stenosis and osteoarthritis. I have been on it for 5 yrs. Dr had me up to 200mg/day at one point which, I admit, was too much. However lately the Drs around here are terrified of the newer FDA reports and want nothing to do with it. My GP lowered me to 30 mg/day and this IS INSUFFICIENT. He actually handed me off to a pain center that is 40 miles away and I can't drive due to eye problems. This is VERY hard on my wife and her job. The pain center pushed suboxone but, after much consideration and research, I decided against it. Suboxone apparently does nothing for the pain that is the root of the problem! I can usually be fine on 60mg/day but weather related breakthrough pain requires more maybe 3 or 4 days /month average. My Drs won't allow me to live my life. Anyone have any suggestions?"

storkysr (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 8, 2015

For Pain: "Methadone is the only drug that helps my horrific lower back pain. I have been on everything from fentanyl patches to enough oxy to wipe out a small village. The methadone in combination with perk 5's is the best combination I have been on in the past 15 years. Thank you pain management doctors!"

FrankWhite May 8, 2015