User Reviews for Methadone

Also known as: Dolophine, Methadone Diskets, Methadose, Methadose Sugar-Free

Learn more about Methadone.

Chronic Pain 34 reviews 102 medications

8.4
Summary of Methadone reviews 280 reviews 8.8

Reviews for Methadone

Review by Natty34:

For Chronic Pain: Started methadone a week ago. Have been suffering with severe chronic pain after breaking my back three years ago. So far this is the best medication for pain relief I have ever taken. I am hoping the sleepy (can't keep my eyes open) side effect goes away once I'm on it for a bit longer.

July 20, 2014 12:10 AM

Review by oldrty (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Chronic Pain: I've been fighting the pain management battle for about 6 years now, and I can finally say that I might have finally won. Just really don't understand why doctors waste peoples time with anything else for actual chronic pain. Methadone is a God send! If anyone is reading this and is in pain, do yourself and your family a favor and find a Dr that will prescribe this for you.

July 15, 2014 7:18 AM

Review by keleeemo (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Chronic Pain: I am very happy with the way Methadone takes care of my pain. I have been on it for 5 years, same dose and don't feel like it has lost effectiveness. It's long acting so I don't have breakthrough pain unless I forget to take it on time. The only real problem I have with it is it killed my appetite for most foods. I live on greek yogurt with fruit mixed in and maybe a bowl of shredded wheat to keep me regular. My cupboards are bare because I don't want anything else. I take a multi-vitamin daily so I don't get anemic. Very good pain medicine, does the job.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2014 9:08 AM

Review by kaj2871 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Chronic Pain: I became very addicted to opiates from chronic pain that I was talking about 10 30mg oxycodone in a day. Trust me when I say that methadone has saved my life and my pocket. I will NEVER go back to that life. Methadone keeps me pain free everyday all day. It's the best by far. Hope your experience is as good for you as for me and many others.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2014 1:18 AM

Review by ambio (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Opiate Withdrawal: I have no negative story to say, it's helped me get my life back on track. Some of the side effects from methadone you can get with taking it. I am very happy with the outcome for myself.

June 30, 2014 9:16 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

Methadone Diskets (methadone) for Chronic Pain: The absolute best formula, with NMDA Receptor Antagonist Properties for Pain such as severe chronic pain management, For a Severe case of RSD/CRPS My dose was 3 1/2 Diskettes twice daily..dissolve in water, my RSD/CRPS was going into remission thanks to the proper dosing. My feeling is they took away the diskettes to re-capitalize by doing away with this tablet and charging more for a 5 - 10 mg tablets.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 26, 2014 11:46 AM

Review by lindsay1980 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Opiate Withdrawal: I have been on methadone for almost 10 years. I have tapered and got off a few times, but always seem to fall back. I have never gone higher than 45mgs. this dose has complete covered all withdrawal symptoms without feeling tired and useless. I had a son last year at the age of 33, and was very nervous of the effect it would have on my new born. I never increased my dose through my pregnancy and remained at 40mgs comfortably. when Sam was born, he experienced NO withdrawal symptoms. I was worried sick for.nothing, however that is not always or even often the case. Overall, methadone maintenance has been a very positive experience.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 20, 2014 3:45 PM

Review by John Carson:

For Opiate Withdrawal: My family doctor prescribed me 60 of the 10mg tablets (one every 12hrs) and this is day 2 and I still don't feel any different. I still give it a 3 because I have faith its going to start working.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 24, 2014 9:08 AM

Review by Christar (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Opiate Withdrawal: This medication has saved my life I'm no longer using and I've been sober for over a year now. I have chronic back pain and I was prescribed hydrocodone and than after a while Percocets. Well after some time my doctor decided to move and I was faced to find another doctor but finding a new doctor was hard and it lead me down a path of destruction than I found a doctor who would give me methadone to help with my pain and addiction and now I feel so much better.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 20, 2014 3:33 PM

Review by Lil' Miss Priss:

For Chronic Pain: I am prescribed 1-2 (10mg) tabs of Methadone, up to 6 times every 24 hours. On the "good" days, I take a lower dose (like 3 (10mg) tabs in 24 hours) with pretty much complete relief & on the "worst" of days, the max dose (12 (10mg) tabs in 24 hours) makes doing the everyday "necessities" actually possible. The biggest negative I've experienced while on this medicine, is a MAJOR WEIGHT GAIN of around 1-2 lbs a WEEK (So like 40lbs in 6 months, before I started working out & dieting to compensate)! Also, this medication has COMPLETELY STOPPED my menstrual cycle! However with these downsides, I'd still strongly suggest this medicine for those with chronic severe back pain!

May 12, 2014 8:24 PM

Review by ChloeD:

For Chronic Pain: It has really helped with my pain. The only side effect has been constipation.

April 26, 2014 9:42 AM

Review by TJtide. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Opiate Withdrawal: This was a life changing experience and I have the power to make positive changes in the everyday challenges I face. Without methadone treatment this would not have been possible.

April 18, 2014 3:54 PM

Review by butterflyroses:

For Chronic Pain: This medication works better on bone pain than any other pain medication I have ever taken. The big plus is it does not fog my brain. It makes life as good as it gets when you have to have pain medication in order to function.

April 17, 2014 5:40 PM

Review by Joe1968 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Chronic Pain: I took methadone for 2 years and finally had to give it up. Yes, it was effective against the pain but, I'd gained 40 pounds, very lethargic for 3-4 hours after dose, developed uncontrollable jerking of my extremities, difficulty urinating (I am talking hours being unable to urinate), break out in sweats after taking medicine, constipation, severe nausea and occasional vomiting with taking the medicine, didn't matter if I had eaten or not, and finally confusion for weeks when first starting. Yes, my Dr. was aware of this all along the way and would have kept me on it, but I couldn't take it any more. Now, back to more conventional treatment options. I had so hoped the methadone would be the long term answer to my pain and it DID help BUT.

April 8, 2014 6:25 AM

Review by chewychew (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Chronic Pain: I started taking methadone for degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, herniated an ruptured disks and Crohn's disease when other pain medicines stopped working for me. It worked great for me from the start. It is an around the clock relief as long as you find the right dosage. I'm starting to not get the same relief I was and think it's time for a dose change or a possible breakthrough pain medicine needs to be added. I also take Neurontin to help my nerve pain.

April 3, 2014 5:36 PM

Review by MarcoMe (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Chronic Pain: Chronic arthritic pain caused me to choose a knee replacement at 51 years old. Sadly, the same leg gained an ankle that is bone on bone due to the gait caused by the bad knee joint. Methadone works best for me with 800mg Ibuprofen. The worst experience with this medication is pharmacy staff. Until they got to know me, of course they assumed I was an addict. Although to be honest, most pain meds cause 2nd class citizen treatment from most medical staff, i.e. phlebotomists, front office staff at doctors office. I like that I can miss 10 or 20 mg of 60 mg/daily dose & not be in unbearable pain or withdrawing from the methadone.

April 3, 2014 4:57 PM

Review by Lucke (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Chronic Pain: Diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis 5 years ago. Tried every narcotic, or non narcotic and never found relief. Naturally became addicted and took a year coming off of 100/micrgr fentenanyl patches. ( 3 every 24/hrs plus oxy 80 as breakthrough ) when I got low enough I took Suboxone to ease my withdrawals. Suboxone worked awesome and I stayed on 20/mg a day for two years, but the analgesic effect of Suboxone is low, and I switched to methadone last August. I love the incredible half life of methadone and its analgesic effects are great for chronic pain. I recommend this to anyone fighting the pain management battle.

March 15, 2014 1:53 PM

Review by Detroit's Finest (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Methadone Diskets (methadone) for Opiate Withdrawal: Starting the methadone treatment was the best thing for me it saved my life turned my life around for the better just when I thought I was at the end of the rope that I just wanted to die. Someone told me about the methadone I tried it and it worked.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 15, 2014 1:30 PM

Review by tovock:

For Opiate Withdrawal: I've had problems with painkillers mixed with real chronic pain problems for 20 years. Methadone has been part of the problem and help over the years. It works extremely well with pain. Better than most other medicines out there (and I've taken them all for pain at one time or another). It's pretty easy to come down to a very small amount daily like 5mg a day but to break that last 5mg Pill is torture. And then you have weeks of feeling off and not yourself.

March 15, 2014 12:59 AM

Dolophine (methadone) for Chronic Pain: Gave me my life back. The first thing I take in the morning and the last thing I take in the evening.

March 2, 2014 8:31 AM

Review by jettttjunkie:

Methadose (methadone) for Opiate Withdrawal: I've been on methadone for over 27 years and all I can say is that Methadose saved my life, if not for the clinic I go to I probably wouldn't be writing this opinion right now. This medication has helped me to lead a normal life after 15 years of addiction.

February 26, 2014 6:34 PM

Review by sopranofan (taken for 10 years or more):

For Opiate Withdrawal: When I first went on methadone for opiate withdrawal I was skeptical but sure enough I suffered NO withdrawal symptoms. I would have rated it a ten instead of a 9 but I DID kind of crave opiates for the first month I was on it.

February 17, 2014 2:58 PM

Review by TommyKnockerz (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Pain: I'm a paraplegic and was on pain meds for the first few years after my accident but I'd been off for many years. I'd been put back on pain meds, methadone, for joint pain, back and neck pain. While it has cut the pain you DO NOT WANT TO BE ON THIS unless you have no other option. The withdrawal is long, muscle spasms, thoughts of dying, cramps, night sweats, etc. It also caused fluid retention in my legs and abdomen while taking it along with MANY other side effects.

February 10, 2014 8:02 PM

Review by sherribee:

Dolophine (methadone) for Chronic Pain: Taking this medication lets me have a little bit of the life I had before my body became full of arthritis, it has been a God send.

January 30, 2014 11:33 PM

Review by Hunter030:

Methadone Diskets (methadone) for Chronic Pain: I like this medication because you can only take one dose and it will last you the entire day as for other medications that you have to take every 4 to 6 hours. It definitely takes away the pain.

January 20, 2014 11:23 AM