Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Methadone

Also known as: Dolophine, Methadone Diskets, Methadose, Methadose Sugar-Free

Learn more about Methadone.

Methadone review summary

9.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 74 medications used in the treatment of Chronic Pain.

Reviews for Methadone to treat Chronic Pain

Review by Methacodone (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Methadone Diskets (methadone): Ok, I was dependent on pain pills, and other illegal narcotics. The other pain pills were working pretty good, to be honest, but they caused euphoria, and when it causes euphoria, you chase that euphoria, and I would run out of my script WAY to early, and had to go out in the streets for more pain pills or other illegal narcotics. I discussed this with my doctor, he put me on 40mg of methadone, 2x a day, and I finally got my life back on track. You feel good everyday on methadone, without raising your dose, like other pain pills. I can honestly say, methadone DEF. saved my life. Thank you Methadone for saving me, my family, and my faith. Methadone is def. a life saver!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 25, 2015 11:13 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Methadone Diskets (methadone): Methadone is a lifesaver. It gives me that freedom to get through the day with the pain that I have. It is better than any other pain killer out there hands down. I dont have to worry about do I need More or cravings like other pain killers.

March 16, 2015 10:28 PM

Review by Fastboy (taken for less than 1 month):

Stomach cramps every day and night

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2015 7:35 PM

Review by heney:

Got pain gone

February 3, 2015 10:27 PM

Review by Mad Ruskie:

Suffer with back pain since 1984 after 3 operations, also have had severe headaches since 1967. Some meds work on back pain but nothing ever had helped my headaches until I found methadone. Now one medicine has offered more relief than any other has for more than 40 years.

January 29, 2015 10:50 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Started on Methadone in the hospital after 2nd Laminectomy & fusion L-4 to S-1. I am on 30mgs 4 times a day (120mg in 24 hrs) I noticed an immediate weight gain of 20lbs (that I can't get rid of) and complete cessation of my menses! I was NOT warned of these side effects! The extra weight adds to my back pain & depression. I just don't know what to do! I want off of this, but I have failed other medications! I just want my body back (20 lbs lighter) AND help with my pain!

January 24, 2015 1:48 AM

Review by browneyes0011:

I have been taking methadone for chronic pain for a few years now and I have had great success. I'm so glad the doctor tried this on me.

December 30, 2014 12:15 PM

Review by KimberRN (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prior to Methadone therapy, my physician prescribed several different medications without being able to control my pain. The medications caused negative physical and emotional reactions without removing pain. Methadone therapy has been my MIRACLE. I went from bed-ridden to being able to function as a human being on Methadone. The success of Methadone depends on the patient following the physicians' orders and NOT altering them or taking OTC medications without consulting your physician FIRST.

December 23, 2014 10:41 AM

Review by Swedishsweetie (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I was diagnosed with arthritis, fibromyalgia, and chronic hip pain along with a severe case of plantars fasciitis (the least of my problems) when I was about a month pregnant. I came clean with my new Dr, telling him I had been self medicating with pain medicines since I was 14 and in a car accident. No Dr would help me because I was so young. Well not this time. My Dr realized that if he didn't find some way to help me it could be bad, so he instantly prescribed me methadone. It was safe in pregnancy with the right dose...it was a God send. My quality of life was back to 100%, it even helps with depression I believe. Best pain medicine I have ever been given.

November 15, 2014 12:58 AM

Review by ProFiredog (taken for 10 years or more):

Excellent! I have used high dose methadone for severe chronic pain treatment. I love the relief level after long term use. Maintaining unimpaired cognitive function (no "high"), no compromised respiratory function, no compromise of GI tract (nausea, constipation), no withdrawal effects, even with sudden total stoppage of the med. I have used for ten(10) years after three(3) on high dose sustained release oxycodone(OxyContin). I suffered severe multi-traumatic injuries from an explosion and four story fall in 1999 after nineteen(19) years as a professional FireFighter/Paramedic and have experienced severe chronic pain since regaining consciousness. Methadone should be the front line go to medicine for more patients by physicians.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 27, 2014 11:53 PM

Review by trying to survive:

I have suffered from chronic back and neck pain since 2007 and have tried just about every pain medication on the market with little to no relief. Finally my doctors tried Methadone. It does not remove all pain but does provide enough relief so that I can function on a daily basis, there is no "high" when taking this medication and the need for dosage increases is much less frequent than with other pain medications. I did find that I had some weight gain but with proper diet that can be controlled. I also suffered from severe hot flashes, as a man this was not expected and took a while before they figured out that the medications I was on dropped my Testosterone level, but with injections all that was corrected.

October 21, 2014 2:02 PM

Review by BRINO (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Dolophine (methadone): Is very good for chronic pain without very much side effects. Very effective.

October 17, 2014 3:39 AM

Review by Kmegamom (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I've had major back pain- 5 back surgeries with chronic pain nothing has given relief, I've been put on all kinds of medications and fentynil patches which really were awful!! Methadone was prescribed by a pain management Dr assigned to me in hospital after one surgery, he told me it's been around a thousand years, has very few side effects and works better. It by far has been the best for me, I don't have the fuzzy brain like the rest of the drugs do, it has been consistent in pain relief it doesn't take an hour to work then stop in 3, it continues working!

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2014 7:13 PM

Review by Greg WV:

Methadone Diskets (methadone): Great for Pain but Never Stop taking it without being Dosed down slowly

September 18, 2014 4:24 PM

Review by Natty34:

Started methadone a week ago. Have been suffering with severe chronic pain after breaking my back three years ago. So far this is the best medication for pain relief I have ever taken. I am hoping the sleepy (can't keep my eyes open) side effect goes away once I'm on it for a bit longer.

July 20, 2014 12:10 AM

Review by oldrty (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I've been fighting the pain management battle for about 6 years now, and I can finally say that I might have finally won. Just really don't understand why doctors waste peoples time with anything else for actual chronic pain. Methadone is a God send! If anyone is reading this and is in pain, do yourself and your family a favor and find a Dr that will prescribe this for you.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 15, 2014 7:18 AM

Review by keleeemo (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I am very happy with the way Methadone takes care of my pain. I have been on it for 5 years, same dose and don't feel like it has lost effectiveness. It's long acting so I don't have breakthrough pain unless I forget to take it on time. The only real problem I have with it is it killed my appetite for most foods. I live on greek yogurt with fruit mixed in and maybe a bowl of shredded wheat to keep me regular. My cupboards are bare because I don't want anything else. I take a multi-vitamin daily so I don't get anemic. Very good pain medicine, does the job.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2014 9:08 AM

Review by kaj2871 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I became very addicted to opiates from chronic pain that I was talking about 10 30mg oxycodone in a day. Trust me when I say that methadone has saved my life and my pocket. I will NEVER go back to that life. Methadone keeps me pain free everyday all day. It's the best by far. Hope your experience is as good for you as for me and many others.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2014 1:18 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

Methadone Diskets (methadone): The absolute best formula, with NMDA Receptor Antagonist Properties for Pain such as severe chronic pain management, For a Severe case of RSD/CRPS My dose was 3 1/2 Diskettes twice daily..dissolve in water, my RSD/CRPS was going into remission thanks to the proper dosing. My feeling is they took away the diskettes to re-capitalize by doing away with this tablet and charging more for a 5 - 10 mg tablets.

June 26, 2014 11:46 AM

Review by Lil' Miss Priss:

I am prescribed 1-2 (10mg) tabs of Methadone, up to 6 times every 24 hours. On the "good" days, I take a lower dose (like 3 (10mg) tabs in 24 hours) with pretty much complete relief & on the "worst" of days, the max dose (12 (10mg) tabs in 24 hours) makes doing the everyday "necessities" actually possible. The biggest negative I've experienced while on this medicine, is a MAJOR WEIGHT GAIN of around 1-2 lbs a WEEK (So like 40lbs in 6 months, before I started working out & dieting to compensate)! Also, this medication has COMPLETELY STOPPED my menstrual cycle! However with these downsides, I'd still strongly suggest this medicine for those with chronic severe back pain!

May 12, 2014 8:24 PM

Review by ChloeD:

It has really helped with my pain. The only side effect has been constipation.

April 26, 2014 9:42 AM

Review by butterflyroses:

This medication works better on bone pain than any other pain medication I have ever taken. The big plus is it does not fog my brain. It makes life as good as it gets when you have to have pain medication in order to function.

April 17, 2014 5:40 PM

Review by Joe1968 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I took methadone for 2 years and finally had to give it up. Yes, it was effective against the pain but, I'd gained 40 pounds, very lethargic for 3-4 hours after dose, developed uncontrollable jerking of my extremities, difficulty urinating (I am talking hours being unable to urinate), break out in sweats after taking medicine, constipation, severe nausea and occasional vomiting with taking the medicine, didn't matter if I had eaten or not, and finally confusion for weeks when first starting. Yes, my Dr. was aware of this all along the way and would have kept me on it, but I couldn't take it any more. Now, back to more conventional treatment options. I had so hoped the methadone would be the long term answer to my pain and it DID help BUT.

April 8, 2014 6:25 AM

Review by chewychew (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I started taking methadone for degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, herniated an ruptured disks and Crohn's disease when other pain medicines stopped working for me. It worked great for me from the start. It is an around the clock relief as long as you find the right dosage. I'm starting to not get the same relief I was and think it's time for a dose change or a possible breakthrough pain medicine needs to be added. I also take Neurontin to help my nerve pain.

April 3, 2014 5:36 PM

Review by MarcoMe (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Chronic arthritic pain caused me to choose a knee replacement at 51 years old. Sadly, the same leg gained an ankle that is bone on bone due to the gait caused by the bad knee joint. Methadone works best for me with 800mg Ibuprofen. The worst experience with this medication is pharmacy staff. Until they got to know me, of course they assumed I was an addict. Although to be honest, most pain meds cause 2nd class citizen treatment from most medical staff, i.e. phlebotomists, front office staff at doctors office. I like that I can miss 10 or 20 mg of 60 mg/daily dose & not be in unbearable pain or withdrawing from the methadone.

April 3, 2014 4:57 PM