User Reviews for Methadone

Also known as: Dolophine, Methadone Diskets, Methadose, Methadose Sugar-Free

Learn more about Methadone.

Methadone review summary

9.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 74 medications used in the treatment of Chronic Pain.

Reviews for Methadone to treat Chronic Pain

Review by BRINO (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Dolophine (methadone): Is very good for chronic pain without very much side effects. Very effective.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 17, 2014 3:39 AM

Review by Kmegamom (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I've had major back pain- 5 back surgeries with chronic pain nothing has given relief, I've been put on all kinds of medications and fentynil patches which really were awful!! Methadone was prescribed by a pain management Dr assigned to me in hospital after one surgery, he told me it's been around a thousand years, has very few side effects and works better. It by far has been the best for me, I don't have the fuzzy brain like the rest of the drugs do, it has been consistent in pain relief it doesn't take an hour to work then stop in 3, it continues working!

September 23, 2014 7:13 PM

Review by Greg WV:

Methadone Diskets (methadone): Great for Pain but Never Stop taking it without being Dosed down slowly

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2014 4:24 PM

Review by Natty34:

Started methadone a week ago. Have been suffering with severe chronic pain after breaking my back three years ago. So far this is the best medication for pain relief I have ever taken. I am hoping the sleepy (can't keep my eyes open) side effect goes away once I'm on it for a bit longer.

July 20, 2014 12:10 AM

Review by oldrty (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I've been fighting the pain management battle for about 6 years now, and I can finally say that I might have finally won. Just really don't understand why doctors waste peoples time with anything else for actual chronic pain. Methadone is a God send! If anyone is reading this and is in pain, do yourself and your family a favor and find a Dr that will prescribe this for you.

July 15, 2014 7:18 AM

Review by keleeemo (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I am very happy with the way Methadone takes care of my pain. I have been on it for 5 years, same dose and don't feel like it has lost effectiveness. It's long acting so I don't have breakthrough pain unless I forget to take it on time. The only real problem I have with it is it killed my appetite for most foods. I live on greek yogurt with fruit mixed in and maybe a bowl of shredded wheat to keep me regular. My cupboards are bare because I don't want anything else. I take a multi-vitamin daily so I don't get anemic. Very good pain medicine, does the job.

July 8, 2014 9:08 AM

Review by kaj2871 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I became very addicted to opiates from chronic pain that I was talking about 10 30mg oxycodone in a day. Trust me when I say that methadone has saved my life and my pocket. I will NEVER go back to that life. Methadone keeps me pain free everyday all day. It's the best by far. Hope your experience is as good for you as for me and many others.

July 5, 2014 1:18 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

Methadone Diskets (methadone): The absolute best formula, with NMDA Receptor Antagonist Properties for Pain such as severe chronic pain management, For a Severe case of RSD/CRPS My dose was 3 1/2 Diskettes twice daily..dissolve in water, my RSD/CRPS was going into remission thanks to the proper dosing. My feeling is they took away the diskettes to re-capitalize by doing away with this tablet and charging more for a 5 - 10 mg tablets.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 26, 2014 11:46 AM

Review by Lil' Miss Priss:

I am prescribed 1-2 (10mg) tabs of Methadone, up to 6 times every 24 hours. On the "good" days, I take a lower dose (like 3 (10mg) tabs in 24 hours) with pretty much complete relief & on the "worst" of days, the max dose (12 (10mg) tabs in 24 hours) makes doing the everyday "necessities" actually possible. The biggest negative I've experienced while on this medicine, is a MAJOR WEIGHT GAIN of around 1-2 lbs a WEEK (So like 40lbs in 6 months, before I started working out & dieting to compensate)! Also, this medication has COMPLETELY STOPPED my menstrual cycle! However with these downsides, I'd still strongly suggest this medicine for those with chronic severe back pain!

May 12, 2014 8:24 PM

Review by ChloeD:

It has really helped with my pain. The only side effect has been constipation.

April 26, 2014 9:42 AM

Review by butterflyroses:

This medication works better on bone pain than any other pain medication I have ever taken. The big plus is it does not fog my brain. It makes life as good as it gets when you have to have pain medication in order to function.

April 17, 2014 5:40 PM

Review by Joe1968 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I took methadone for 2 years and finally had to give it up. Yes, it was effective against the pain but, I'd gained 40 pounds, very lethargic for 3-4 hours after dose, developed uncontrollable jerking of my extremities, difficulty urinating (I am talking hours being unable to urinate), break out in sweats after taking medicine, constipation, severe nausea and occasional vomiting with taking the medicine, didn't matter if I had eaten or not, and finally confusion for weeks when first starting. Yes, my Dr. was aware of this all along the way and would have kept me on it, but I couldn't take it any more. Now, back to more conventional treatment options. I had so hoped the methadone would be the long term answer to my pain and it DID help BUT.

April 8, 2014 6:25 AM

Review by chewychew (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I started taking methadone for degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, herniated an ruptured disks and Crohn's disease when other pain medicines stopped working for me. It worked great for me from the start. It is an around the clock relief as long as you find the right dosage. I'm starting to not get the same relief I was and think it's time for a dose change or a possible breakthrough pain medicine needs to be added. I also take Neurontin to help my nerve pain.

April 3, 2014 5:36 PM

Review by MarcoMe (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Chronic arthritic pain caused me to choose a knee replacement at 51 years old. Sadly, the same leg gained an ankle that is bone on bone due to the gait caused by the bad knee joint. Methadone works best for me with 800mg Ibuprofen. The worst experience with this medication is pharmacy staff. Until they got to know me, of course they assumed I was an addict. Although to be honest, most pain meds cause 2nd class citizen treatment from most medical staff, i.e. phlebotomists, front office staff at doctors office. I like that I can miss 10 or 20 mg of 60 mg/daily dose & not be in unbearable pain or withdrawing from the methadone.

April 3, 2014 4:57 PM

Review by Lucke (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis 5 years ago. Tried every narcotic, or non narcotic and never found relief. Naturally became addicted and took a year coming off of 100/micrgr fentenanyl patches. ( 3 every 24/hrs plus oxy 80 as breakthrough ) when I got low enough I took Suboxone to ease my withdrawals. Suboxone worked awesome and I stayed on 20/mg a day for two years, but the analgesic effect of Suboxone is low, and I switched to methadone last August. I love the incredible half life of methadone and its analgesic effects are great for chronic pain. I recommend this to anyone fighting the pain management battle.

March 15, 2014 1:53 PM

Dolophine (methadone): Gave me my life back. The first thing I take in the morning and the last thing I take in the evening.

March 2, 2014 8:31 AM

Review by sherribee:

Dolophine (methadone): Taking this medication lets me have a little bit of the life I had before my body became full of arthritis, it has been a God send.

January 30, 2014 11:33 PM

Review by Hunter030:

Methadone Diskets (methadone): I like this medication because you can only take one dose and it will last you the entire day as for other medications that you have to take every 4 to 6 hours. It definitely takes away the pain.

January 20, 2014 11:23 AM

Review by A Chick (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had high expectations for methadone when I started it. I had to switch from Oxycontin to Methadone because of insurance coverage. It works OK for the pain, but I realized I was so unbelievably tired-with each one I took, and noticed it "peak" within 30 min. to an hour. I had NO desire to get out of bed!! It took every bit of my motivation away, gave me an uncomfortable head buzz, and when I went to the DR. a few days later-they said my blood pressure was low-which explained why I felt dizzy, faint, and just plain drained constantly! I have heard it's harder to get off of than oxycodone also. Prescibed for chronic pain, Spinal stenosis, DDD, double laminectomy surgery, constant pain!!

November 9, 2013 10:12 PM

Review by HopefulMommy:

Started taking Methadone 2 1/2 weeks ago and have felt better these last 2 weeks than I have in over 10 years! Can function now without terrible pain, I have energy, i'm motivated to do things I haven't in a very long time. Thank God for this wonderful medication that has numerous advantages for someone like myself with many health problems who don't want to be on pain meds ever again. The stomach cramps and diarrhea from having my gall bladder removed are gone now too after 1 1/2 years of dealing with it. It seems like i'm also feeling better in the mental aspect of my life now too! I'm getting my life, family and happiness back!! Only wished I would have started this years ago.

November 7, 2013 6:46 PM

I'm a diabetic with neuropathy, my endocrinologist put me on methadone to combat the extremely severe burning sensation associated with neuropathy about 5 years ago, and... HOLY TOLEDO! Methadone won the war! That med is so effective I often forget I have diabetes. I take four, 10mg tabs daily, and it has nearly ended the painful part of diabetes.

October 29, 2013 1:50 AM

Review by Methadone finally saved me!:

I suffer from chronic pain from cancer treatment and 8 major surgeries. I was on full medical disability for 5 years, and was being prescribed medicines like Dilaudid and Fentanyl for pain. My doctor finally referred me to a pain management Dr. He put me on methadone after I lost my health insurance because the Fentanyl patch was too expensive. It's been 9 years, now thanks to 30 mg of methadone daily I am off of disability, went back to work, and exercise daily. My quality of life improved immensely. Thanks to methadone!

September 2, 2013 12:07 AM

Review by M#:

Best and only medicine that worked for my Chronic Pain.

August 29, 2013 3:28 AM

Review by venus8i8:

I have bad knees and use an electric chair. The doctor gave me methadone because I asked for it and turned down surgery. I took 10mgs a day--one pill. Not only was it better for pain then anything else I had taken but it helped even more with my depression/suicidal problems. It did not cure suicidal problems but I found myself happy and busy making things. I had to slowly take myself off when I realized I was taking 10 pills. The next time I saw my doctor she saw a very different person..sad and unresponsive. I remained that way for 6 months. I now only take Vicodin & Prozac and am doing well.

August 15, 2013 4:28 PM

Review by Jamie001:

Methadose (methadone): Methadone helps me tremendously with my chronic back pain, very functional as well.

July 27, 2013 11:51 AM