User Reviews for Methadone

Also known as: Dolophine, Methadone Diskets, Methadose, Methadose Sugar-Free

Learn more about Methadone.

Methadone review summary

9.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 73 medications used in the treatment of Chronic Pain.

Reviews for Methadone to treat Chronic Pain

Review by chewychew (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

methadone: I started taking methadone for degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, herniated an ruptured disks and Crohn's disease when other pain medicines stopped working for me. It worked great for me from the start. It is an around the clock relief as long as you find the right dosage. I'm starting to not get the same relief I was and think it's time for a dose change or a possible breakthrough pain medicine needs to be added. I also take Neurontin to help my nerve pain.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 3, 2014 5:36 PM
Review by Lucke (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

methadone: Diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis 5 years ago. Tried every narcotic, or non narcotic and never found relief. Naturally became addicted and took a year coming off of 100/micrgr fentenanyl patches. ( 3 every 24/hrs plus oxy 80 as breakthrough ) when I got low enough I took Suboxone to ease my withdrawals. Suboxone worked awesome and I stayed on 20/mg a day for two years, but the analgesic effect of Suboxone is low, and I switched to methadone last August. I love the incredible half life of methadone and its analgesic effects are great for chronic pain. I recommend this to anyone fighting the pain management battle.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 15, 2014 1:53 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Dolophine (methadone): Gave me my life back. The first thing I take in the morning and the last thing I take in the evening.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 2, 2014 8:31 AM
Review by sherribee: User Rating:

Dolophine (methadone): Taking this medication lets me have a little bit of the life I had before my body became full of arthritis, it has been a God send.

January 30, 2014 11:33 PM
Review by Hunter030: User Rating:

Methadone Diskets (methadone): I like this medication because you can only take one dose and it will last you the entire day as for other medications that you have to take every 4 to 6 hours. It definitely takes away the pain.

January 20, 2014 11:23 AM
Review by A Chick (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

methadone: I had high expectations for methadone when I started it. I had to switch from Oxycontin to Methadone because of insurance coverage. It works OK for the pain, but I realized I was so unbelievably tired-with each one I took, and noticed it "peak" within 30 min. to an hour. I had NO desire to get out of bed!! It took every bit of my motivation away, gave me an uncomfortable head buzz, and when I went to the DR. a few days later-they said my blood pressure was low-which explained why I felt dizzy, faint, and just plain drained constantly! I have heard it's harder to get off of than oxycodone also. Prescibed for chronic pain, Spinal stenosis, DDD, double laminectomy surgery, constant pain!!

November 9, 2013 10:12 PM
Review by HopefulMommy: User Rating:

methadone: Started taking Methadone 2 1/2 weeks ago and have felt better these last 2 weeks than I have in over 10 years! Can function now without terrible pain, I have energy, i'm motivated to do things I haven't in a very long time. Thank God for this wonderful medication that has numerous advantages for someone like myself with many health problems who don't want to be on pain meds ever again. The stomach cramps and diarrhea from having my gall bladder removed are gone now too after 1 1/2 years of dealing with it. It seems like i'm also feeling better in the mental aspect of my life now too! I'm getting my life, family and happiness back!! Only wished I would have started this years ago.

November 7, 2013 6:46 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

methadone: I'm a diabetic with neuropathy, my endocrinologist put me on methadone to combat the extremely severe burning sensation associated with neuropathy about 5 years ago, and... HOLY TOLEDO! Methadone won the war! That med is so effective I often forget I have diabetes. I take four, 10mg tabs daily, and it has nearly ended the painful part of diabetes.

October 29, 2013 1:50 AM
Review by Methadone finally saved me!: User Rating:

methadone: I suffer from chronic pain from cancer treatment and 8 major surgeries. I was on full medical disability for 5 years, and was being prescribed medicines like Dilaudid and Fentanyl for pain. My doctor finally referred me to a pain management Dr. He put me on methadone after I lost my health insurance because the Fentanyl patch was too expensive. It's been 9 years, now thanks to 30 mg of methadone daily I am off of disability, went back to work, and exercise daily. My quality of life improved immensely. Thanks to methadone!

September 2, 2013 12:07 AM
Review by M#: User Rating:

methadone: Best and only medicine that worked for my Chronic Pain.

August 29, 2013 3:28 AM
Review by venus8i8: User Rating:

methadone: I have bad knees and use an electric chair. The doctor gave me methadone because I asked for it and turned down surgery. I took 10mgs a day--one pill. Not only was it better for pain then anything else I had taken but it helped even more with my depression/suicidal problems. It did not cure suicidal problems but I found myself happy and busy making things. I had to slowly take myself off when I realized I was taking 10 pills. The next time I saw my doctor she saw a very different person..sad and unresponsive. I remained that way for 6 months. I now only take Vicodin & Prozac and am doing well.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 15, 2013 4:28 PM
Review by Jamie001: User Rating:

Methadose (methadone): Methadone helps me tremendously with my chronic back pain, very functional as well.

July 27, 2013 11:51 AM
Review by jennthompson4161211: User Rating:

methadone: I began taking methadone almost four years ago when I found out I was pregnant with my second child. I was addicted to opiate pain meds prescribed to me for my Crohn's Disease. I continued methadone treatment for two years when I thought I could be okay and no longer need it. After about seven months and becoming very sick from my Crohn's I decide to go back on methadone. Since I have not had any problems at all that have been associated to my Crohn's. I think until I actually realized that methadone was the one medication that was keeping my Crohn's under control, I had been on almost every medication prescribed for inflammatory bowel disease. I never felt good on any of them, and the side effects are horrible from most of them. Methadone has saved my life.

June 25, 2013 4:39 PM
Review by Tonya63: User Rating:

Dolophine (methadone): I have been on so many other pain meds that made me sick and yes it was the one Dr who cared about someones pain that help prescribed it to me. Methadone is great because its the 1st thing I take and the last thing I take in a day so I can have life without so much pain.

April 27, 2013 11:02 PM
Review by Bfly73 (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

methadone: I have had 4 spine surgeries from degenerative discs and have fibromyalgia. I have had chronic pain for 20 years. I went thru ALL pain meds. Methadone got me to a place I could function and live my life! Without throwing up all the time! I recently was able to slowly decrease the amount because I had gotten so high on the amount. The only downfall, when you have been on it as long as me, is you have to keep upping the amount. I also take Neurontin and that helps so much too! I take many vitamins, started exercising, and lost weight, so I could lower the amount of Methadone. It makes my life bearable. My doctor let me go as slow as I wanted, and over a year I decreased the amount from 200mgs to 80mgs. For severe pain, a must have!

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 16, 2013 12:23 AM
Review by luvdrug: User Rating:

Methadose (methadone): I've taken Methadone for 20 months now for chronic pain due to fibromyalgia, neuralgia, back and neck pain and migraines. This has helped me incredibly well. I've been able to function and gain my life back again! The only drawback is some weight gain...not a lot though...about 15 pounds over the time span, which is not a bad trade-off for crippling chronic pain. Although there is a stigma connected to methadone users it's worth it to finally be nearly pain free and be living again!

March 13, 2013 7:31 PM
Review by MS Sufferer: User Rating:

methadone: I have been on Methadone for over 10 years due to chronic pain from Multiple Sclerosis and severe scoliosis. This medication has allowed me to live a relatively normal life. After all this time it still relieves my pain as well as it did in the beginning. Anyone who has not been helped by other medications, I would strongly encourage you to try Methadone. It has saved my life. You may have a little trouble with fatigue at first, but tough it out and it will pass.

March 8, 2013 11:48 PM
Review by Jonathan Ritterman (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

methadone: Gall bladder surgery was either botched or had complications. Terrible chronic pain for 3 years now. No alcohol, smoking caffeine, greasy foods or medicines of ANY kind other than prescribed Methadone 3 x 10mg a day allows me to run my business and take care of my family. No side effects. Works amazingly long time with a very constant pain decrease effect. Also stops abdominal cramps and diarrhea. Other medications such as Vicodin and Darvocet did not work well at all for long term pain. I thank my Dr, who tried Methadone.

February 15, 2013 12:30 AM
Review by Kittyandcharlie: User Rating:

methadone: I have taken Roxicodone 15's and then 30's for years. Still in pain and fed up I asked my doctor about Methadone. Now I take it along with Gabapentin and I'm feeling better, it's helps with the pain and I can take care of my son, job and other responsibilities. I'm so grateful I asked.

February 4, 2013 10:44 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

methadone: This is the best medication that I've tried after nine years of enduring severe chronic pain in my back and neck due to a severe almost fatal car accident. Its also been very effective in treating my fibromyalgia pain, which began four years ago. My problem with all of the other pain analgesics is that the pain relief that I was able to get at higher doses didn't last more than a few hours and they were far more expensive to get filled, while with methadone its very efficient in the length of time it helps minimize my pain and it is costs $50 (monthly prescription) compared to the expensive narcotics I was given in the past that ran up to $800 for just one months worth and were not effective in managing my Pain issues.

February 1, 2013 2:18 PM
Review by Lb12girl: User Rating:

methadone: I have taken methadone for a year and a half now it's the only thing I can take and it actually works for more than couple hours. I have had to increase my dose due to it wearing off too fast, other than that it saved my life!

January 26, 2013 5:42 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

methadone: Without this medication I was in too much pain to function as a normal person. My doctor and I tried many other medicines and combinations but nothing really helped.

December 28, 2012 11:57 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Methadone Diskets (methadone): Only thing that really helped my pain.

December 11, 2012 1:59 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

methadone: I have been using it for chronic back pain and for cancer it has helped me a great deal, mine was prescribed by my doctor at the hospice in England so I was not out of pocket. The medicine works wonders, really helping my pain.

September 22, 2012 10:18 AM