User Reviews for Methadone

Also known as: Dolophine, Methadone Diskets, Methadose, Methadose Sugar-Free

Learn more about Methadone.

Methadone Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 76 medications used in the treatment of Chronic Pain.

Reviews for Methadone to treat Chronic Pain

"I have been on 60mg day methadone tabs for about 5-6 years. As FISHINGIRL says I have had several teeth just dissinegrate. I have severe rheumatoid arthritis diagnosed at the Mayo Clinic. I also had a 20 foot fall off an overpass and landed on my back on the opposing guardrail. 9 ribs broken or fractured in 23 places and one protruding through my back. Methadone has been the only relief I have ever found. Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, Morphine and many more could not give me a life like Methadone has. NOW we have our new Texas Governor restricting all these meds. Sent to pain management and after 20 years they cut my methadone script by 90%."

DRDAVEHD (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 5, 2016

"I was recently admitted to a behavioural health center for clinical depression. I am addicted to prescription pain meds and was given small amounts (.5 mgs twice a day) of Methadone for seven days, and was released with enough for seven more days .Not only did I no longer crave my previous narcotic meds my pain level was the lowest it was in years! I suffer from RA and degenerative arthritis in my back. I've tried several other treatments for my chronic pain including epidurals and a Fentanyl pain pump that went horribly wrong when the catheter came out of my spine 3 times causing an infection that ended with a hole in my back the size of a golf ball that required more surgery. "

Dave in PAIN (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2016

"Saved my life, and when I comment on this page, I'm commenting to people I assume are not self medicating and not illegally using any drugs, but yes a doctor put me on this medicine and it changed my life. I became a self sufficient mother and wife again, I wanted to live again. No more thoughts of suicide because pain controlled my every step, I had tried mild to very strong medications, chiropractors, acupuncture, herbal, dietary, otc medications, everything. Now 80 mgs a day. ...changed my life. My Dr. Moved and the new Dr. will not prescribe it anymore, I've got a few to make it, I'm trying with all my might to find a physician. I'm scared, I'm real scared, I can't go back to the pain, it hurt to bad."

Dawn, Wilburton, Oklahoma January 27, 2016

"I was discharged from the U.S. Army for medical reasons. Carrying 100lbs plus of gear a day caused a disk in my thoracic spine to herniate. I was on oxycodone 30mg for 4 years but hated the side effects. To stop taking the oxycodone and still manage pain, I take 55 mg of methadone daily in liquid form. Where I live, opiate addiction is at an all time high so doctors are VERY wary of prescribing any type of opiate. Methadone, however, is an opiate analgesic. I still take oxycodone for breakthrough pain and that's why my methadone dose is relatively low. At higher doses, methadone can act as an opiate blocker so narcotics are ineffective. If you're having trouble getting methadone, go to a local clinic! They aren't just for addicts."

Maryanna157 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 22, 2016

"Best pain medication I have been on. Started because it was one of the cheapest and long acting. The only major problem is that it destroyed my teeth. It does not make me feel high just normal, it is however a very difficult medication to stop taking. I would not give up my methadone for any other treatment, especially suboxone."

brooklyn77 (taken for 10 years or more) December 20, 2015

"I have been on Methodone one for nearly 13 years to manage chronic pain. I have been on 90mg. daily for approximately the last 3 years. I started at 100mg but after 10 years I had an auto accident and quickly discovered that since my dose was so high and my tolerance was great, almost every other pain med. the E.R. tried didn't work!! I was in the most agonizing pain I had ever felt! No sympathy from the nurses, to them, I "had enough med. on board to kill a horse!" Which was only maddening to me because "I" was the one in extreme agony! Its taking a long time but I definitely decided then that I needed to lower my dose as much as I could slowly, safely. I am still working on that. Three years and only down 1 10mg. pill is discouraging!!"

achybreaky2929 (taken for 10 years or more) December 18, 2015

"I broke my back over 15 years ago. I went from Darvocet to morphine. Everything that I tried lasted for short periods of time. Finally after almost ten years I found methadone. I feel that I am no longer trapped inside my body. I feel like I've been given my life back. I'm no longer at risk of damaging my body from the side effects of the previous meds. I take it once daily and it works wonders. I feel like a new person. I finally feel normal again."

Cherylnjerry98 December 16, 2015

"Life-saving!"

SamHKz (taken for 10 years or more) December 12, 2015

"Really helpful for chronic back and neck pain. Also really helpful for neuropathy pain. Makes it a bit harder to think. But I was taken off it cold turkey after a doctor switch. The withdrawals; I was on a low dose, were really bad. Hot flashes and restless leg were prominent for a couple of weeks. Iron supplements helped the restless leg syndrome a lot. Don't know why methadone caused it. Because of the withdrawal and the dulled thinking, I would hesitate to use this drug again, but I do miss it's helpfulness for pain."

Ivory dream (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2015

"I have dealt with chronic back issues for 10 years now. I rode professional rodeo for 14 years riding bulls my body literally Took a beating. I have always been in construction as a trade 15 years ago I started my own business as a GC I fell 20 feet off of the ladder injuring my neck and back on top of already having back problems I've been on every pain medicine you could imagine with no results until I started taking methadone I take 80mg/ Day. I currently am in between doctors and slowly trying to wean myself off until I can get in somewhere to get back on my meds however this is very difficult I'm finding. "

Anonymous December 7, 2015

"Been taking since 2008 since all other treatments failed. I get 80 percent pain relief with min side effects - problems staying asleep. But good out weighs bad. Pain started 1981 since workplace injuries and accidents. Worsen 2005 Neck back hands shoulders etc."

TrentonGirl (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 27, 2015

"I find this to be the best and most affordable pain medicine on the market, I live with chronic p pain from 4 abdominal surgeries for Endo and several broken/shattered bone is wrist and foot since I have osteroperosis also, and a torn rotator cuff injury as well now, I take 2-3 a day 10mg, makes me a little tired some days and problems with constipation since I have loads of adhesions from stomach surgeries, that adds to the constipation too but I can live a normal life now, and I thank God that my doctor prescribes it for my pain as some doctors would rather have me take 8 Percocets a day or have more surg, and they don't help half as much as the 2-3 methadone tablets I take as needed. They are also so cheap in price compared to other drug"

JoJo80 October 7, 2015

"I was prescribed methadone about 10 years ago. I didn't like taking a lot of the short term medications because of all the side effects. Methadone helps me with my pain more than the other drugs I had been prescribed. I function a lot better taking methadone and have no side effects. methadone works for longer periods of time and I don't have to worry about all the different effects other drugs gave me. I take 20mg a day. I have another pain medication I take if needed but seldom do I need to take it because methadone works so well."

tysontwin2 October 6, 2015

"This is the second time I have been on Methadone for chronic back pain. I weened myself off Methadone a couple years ago. My condition has worsened and pain doctor's don't like to prescribe narcotics anymore. I was in so much pain, and was on the verge of suicide, so my primary doctor called my pain doctor and asked him to prescribe Methadone. This has been a lifesaver. Still in pain, but can function now."

Helps with pain (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2015

"I was offered 20mg/day of this medication at pain management but was afraid to try it. I had gotten a hold of a few and tried one 10mg pill for extreme fibromyalgia pain because I ran 3 days short on my normal pain meds. 12 hours later and I am still pain free. I'd rather use this once a day than oxycodone 3-4x a day. Mind you, I did extensive research before using the medication. I like the fact that I have been pain free all day without feeling loopy or high. No cravings or discomfort from withdrawing from other pain meds. Would definitely recommend this for anyone with chronic pain or if you just want to detox comfortably."

spooky607 (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2015

"The only meds I have ever taken that takes most of the pain away and last longer than all other meds!"

Lit-Ricky September 24, 2015

"I have had chronic pain for almost ten years and have tried other pain medication but methadone by far works the best for me. It is effects are long lasting and if it was not for having a great doctor that monitors my usage, made me sign a contract saying I would not get other pain meds from other doctors, gives random drug screenings to make sure that I actually do take the meds and do not use any street drugs. I am subject at any time to pill counts to make sure I am not using too many pills. I am very grateful to have a doctor that is willing to work with someone that has chronic pain not pass the buck to another doctor."

gramma1231 September 23, 2015

"Degenerative Disc Disease-Lower Back and other age/arthritis related pain: Was on Vicodin (hydrocodone and acetaminophen) for 5 years, which helped some. Then on to Oxycodone for several months, which helped a little more but had side effects of nausea, stomach upset (acid reflux), difficulty thinking (euphoria), and quick tolerance and dependence. Now, after 3 full months of methadone, 10mg tablet three times per day orally; my pain is well managed, no problems with thinking (no 'high'), no nausea, or stomach upset. Tolerance has been small. Methadone is a powerful opiate analgesic and I did build up a strong dependency (WD's after a day or two of reduced (50%) dosing), but no interdose WD's with normal dosing. DANGER! OD will kill!"

Grabdog (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2015

"I have had the same experiences as many others - chronic pain. I have tried all prescription pain relief which has led to dependency. This has been helped by methadone. However, it surprises me that this page reads like an endorsement for the drug... methadone IS still a drug and a highly addictive one, at that. I have read people saying 100 mgs/day and 10 years of use. Methadone can be effective but, it is not an ideal substitution for other drugs, There is a bad stigma attached because it CAN be dangerous. I hope that no one chooses to self- medicate after reading these comments and I most definitely don't want kids to get the impression that it is safe to take in such high dosages or at all without a prescribing physician. Good luck to everyone."

xrtjm136 August 30, 2015

"Neck fusion, lower back pain, nerve damage, I highly recommend this to get your life back"

Sgtjohn June 16, 2015

"I've been taking this medicine for almost 4 years and I have had some horrible experiences, and side effects almost all of them, but there is one that's not listed my Teeth, all of them are breaking off to the gum line I wear a permanent bridge and the teeth that the bridge is bonded to have broken off now I have one tooth holding on a four teeth bridge and I have so much bone loss that all of my teeth are so loose that I could probably pull them out with my fingers, I don't see anything about this medicine in the list of side effects about it eating up the enamel and bone in your mouth does anyone know or have experienced the same problem and if there is a class action lawsuit about Methadone thank you "

Fishingirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 6, 2015

"I've been on Methadone for 5 years due to chronic pain from diffuse scleroderma and acute myositis. I tried every possible OTC med, narcotics (including high doses of morphine and fentanyl), Neurontin, Lyrica, physical therapy and nerve blocks. Nothing helped and I barely functioned....could barely walk to the bathroom and thought suicide was my only option for relief. Fortunately a new pain doctor recommended Methadone. Titrated up to 20mg 3 times a day with wonderful results along with oxycodone 30mg 3-4 times a day for breakthrough pain. I was able to walk 3 miles each day, no sedation or side effects. A new doctor tried to wean me off both with horrible pain returning...changed docs and back to previous doses. A Godsend drug!!"

Wendyhappiness June 3, 2015

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Methadone is THE ONLY drug that handles my stenosis and osteoarthritis. I have been on it for 5 yrs. Dr had me up to 200mg/day at one point which, I admit, was too much. However lately the Drs around here are terrified of the newer FDA reports and want nothing to do with it. My GP lowered me to 30 mg/day and this IS INSUFFICIENT. He actually handed me off to a pain center that is 40 miles away and I can't drive due to eye problems. This is VERY hard on my wife and her job. The pain center pushed suboxone but, after much consideration and research, I decided against it. Suboxone apparently does nothing for the pain that is the root of the problem! I can usually be fine on 60mg/day but weather related breakthrough pain requires more maybe 3 or 4 days /month average. My Drs won't allow me to live my life. Anyone have any suggestions?"

storkysr (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 8, 2015

Methadone Diskets (methadone): "Ok, I was dependent on pain pills, and other illegal narcotics. The other pain pills were working pretty good, to be honest, but they caused euphoria, and when it causes euphoria, you chase that euphoria, and I would run out of my script WAY to early, and had to go out in the streets for more pain pills or other illegal narcotics. I discussed this with my doctor, he put me on 40mg of methadone, 2x a day, and I finally got my life back on track. You feel good everyday on methadone, without raising your dose, like other pain pills. I can honestly say, methadone DEF. saved my life. Thank you Methadone for saving me, my family, and my faith. Methadone is def. a life saver!"

Methacodone (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 25, 2015

Methadone Diskets (methadone): "Methadone is a lifesaver. It gives me that freedom to get through the day with the pain that I have. It is better than any other pain killer out there hands down. I dont have to worry about do I need More or cravings like other pain killers."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2015

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 Next