User Reviews for Methadone

Also known as: Dolophine, Methadone Diskets, Methadose, Methadose Sugar-Free

Learn more about Methadone.

Methadone Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 81 medications used in the treatment of Chronic Pain.

Reviews for Methadone to treat Chronic Pain

"I was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 20, I stopped school and went through many years of chemotherapy. For bone and nerve pain I found methadone to be the best drug for daily use. It does help particularly with nerve pain. However since its long half life and milder symptoms compared to other opiates it was easy for me to develop the drug into a daily routine. 8 years later I am still taking methadone 3x a day everyday... Not so much for pain but because of the horrible withdrawals (which can last for months) i experience if I miss a dose. I am now trapped in an addiction I never wanted, before considering methadone for long term use please research methadone addiction. Its considered by many to be one of the hardest drugs to kick."

Anonymous April 4, 2016

"10 years ago I went into septic shock after a minor procedure on my knee. The infection was so bad and traveled up and down my leg that a very extensive debridement was done. My leg was saved, however, I was left with horrible neurological pain, bone pain and muscle pain. After 2 years of percocet (3 -10 mg/day) which did nothing except to leave me on my bed watching the clock till I could take the next one. Finally my Dr. Convinced me to give long lasting methadone a chance. It saved my life. I was on 60-70 mg a day. Over the past 8 years I have titrated back to 10 mg per day which has been way too much. I need 20-30 mg a day to be at a comfortable level of pain. For me methadone is the best pain relief without out feeling drugged at all."

Aylascott April 2, 2016

"After getting shot in my lower back, my back got torn apart. It took 7 surgeries, and the pain is unexplainable. It's not 10/10 pain, It's more like 20/10 pain. My PM doctor put me on Methadone 10mg 4x daily, and Oxycodone 30mg 6x daily. Those are 2 of the strongest Pain meds out there. Now my pain level is about a 5/10. Big improvement. The Methadone helps A LOT. I was first put on Fentanyl 50mcg patch along with the Oxy, my pain then was 8/10.. still too much pain. After getting switched to Methadone with the Oxy.. huge difference. Methadone is the best Painkiller I've ever tried. TY Methadone."

Mdone10sOxy30s (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 1, 2016

"I have not been on Methadone for a great amount of time but i have been on it long enough to find that the pain free result IS NOT worth the life ruining effects its having on me. I have NO life because of this drug. It makes me so tired, lethargic and just useless!! I can't work anymore, I can't maintain most social relationships anymore, and I am so isolated and lonely now which is having serious deteriorating effects on my mental health condition!!! I have never hated another drug more than this one. I know that for some ppl... it has changed their lives for the better and I'm really happy for these ppl!! I just think that people need to know that there is a real nasty side to methadone too for some of us. Cheers."

cjhawkes03 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2016

"Long story short: I have chronic, debilitating pain as a result of Degenerative Disc Disease. I am currently taking 80 mg./day of Methadone, 20 mg. every six hours. Much of the time I take less. Up until the end of December, I was taking Morphine ER, 200 mg./day with 15 mg. immediate release Morphine for breakthrough pain. Unfortunately, my Rx drug plan (and every other I checked) has stopped paying for extended release Morphine as a result of the exhorbinate cost. Not being wealthy, I had to switch to Methadone. Now the fatigue is ruining my life. I'll have to hope for an alternative. Methadone does work on the pain, but the fatigue is just too much."

Alioh (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2016

"After five years of Methadone I am now reducing the doses from three per day to only two per day of Methadone 10 for chronic pain management. At my age I am knowledgeable of the risk for increase memory loss due to the use of Methadone and age, so try and cut back on the risk of memory loss. It is necessary to reduce my dosage as I have indicated, but it brought me the experience of withdrawals issue which were terrible. As I said, finally I am on two per day at 10 mg of Methadone and the effectiveness has been felt and now requires the use of Norco once or twice per day when needed."

Baruch Hashem (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 17, 2016

"I have been taking methadone for over ten years and it has allowed me to live my life. Although I still have pain, I can manage it most of the time with a topical ointment. I use methadone for pain from osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. I have a rod up my back from the arthritis and terrible pain in my hands, wrists, ankles, feet....It has really made a difference in my day to day living. The big negative is that I know I am addicted and that is a sobering situation. I see a pain specialist monthly and I have every confidence in his ability to prescribe this medication for me for ever if that is what I need."

Purgatorynomas February 11, 2016

"I have been on 60mg day methadone tabs for about 5-6 years. As FISHINGIRL says I have had several teeth just dissinegrate. I have severe rheumatoid arthritis diagnosed at the Mayo Clinic. I also had a 20 foot fall off an overpass and landed on my back on the opposing guardrail. 9 ribs broken or fractured in 23 places and one protruding through my back. Methadone has been the only relief I have ever found. Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, Morphine and many more could not give me a life like Methadone has. NOW we have our new Texas Governor restricting all these meds. Sent to pain management and after 20 years they cut my methadone script by 90%."

DRDAVEHD (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 5, 2016

"I was recently admitted to a behavioural health center for clinical depression. I am addicted to prescription pain meds and was given small amounts (.5 mgs twice a day) of Methadone for seven days, and was released with enough for seven more days .Not only did I no longer crave my previous narcotic meds my pain level was the lowest it was in years! I suffer from RA and degenerative arthritis in my back. I've tried several other treatments for my chronic pain including epidurals and a Fentanyl pain pump that went horribly wrong when the catheter came out of my spine 3 times causing an infection that ended with a hole in my back the size of a golf ball that required more surgery. "

Dave in PAIN (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2016

"Saved my life, and when I comment on this page, I'm commenting to people I assume are not self medicating and not illegally using any drugs, but yes a doctor put me on this medicine and it changed my life. I became a self sufficient mother and wife again, I wanted to live again. No more thoughts of suicide because pain controlled my every step, I had tried mild to very strong medications, chiropractors, acupuncture, herbal, dietary, otc medications, everything. Now 80 mgs a day. ...changed my life. My Dr. Moved and the new Dr. will not prescribe it anymore, I've got a few to make it, I'm trying with all my might to find a physician. I'm scared, I'm real scared, I can't go back to the pain, it hurt to bad."

Dawn, Wilburton, Oklahoma January 27, 2016

"I was discharged from the U.S. Army for medical reasons. Carrying 100lbs plus of gear a day caused a disk in my thoracic spine to herniate. I was on oxycodone 30mg for 4 years but hated the side effects. To stop taking the oxycodone and still manage pain, I take 55 mg of methadone daily in liquid form. Where I live, opiate addiction is at an all time high so doctors are VERY wary of prescribing any type of opiate. Methadone, however, is an opiate analgesic. I still take oxycodone for breakthrough pain and that's why my methadone dose is relatively low. At higher doses, methadone can act as an opiate blocker so narcotics are ineffective. If you're having trouble getting methadone, go to a local clinic! They aren't just for addicts."

Maryanna157 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 22, 2016

"Best pain medication I have been on. Started because it was one of the cheapest and long acting. The only major problem is that it destroyed my teeth. It does not make me feel high just normal, it is however a very difficult medication to stop taking. I would not give up my methadone for any other treatment, especially suboxone."

brooklyn77 (taken for 10 years or more) December 20, 2015

"I have been on Methodone one for nearly 13 years to manage chronic pain. I have been on 90mg. daily for approximately the last 3 years. I started at 100mg but after 10 years I had an auto accident and quickly discovered that since my dose was so high and my tolerance was great, almost every other pain med. the E.R. tried didn't work!! I was in the most agonizing pain I had ever felt! No sympathy from the nurses, to them, I "had enough med. on board to kill a horse!" Which was only maddening to me because "I" was the one in extreme agony! Its taking a long time but I definitely decided then that I needed to lower my dose as much as I could slowly, safely. I am still working on that. Three years and only down 1 10mg. pill is discouraging!!"

achybreaky2929 (taken for 10 years or more) December 18, 2015

"I broke my back over 15 years ago. I went from Darvocet to morphine. Everything that I tried lasted for short periods of time. Finally after almost ten years I found methadone. I feel that I am no longer trapped inside my body. I feel like I've been given my life back. I'm no longer at risk of damaging my body from the side effects of the previous meds. I take it once daily and it works wonders. I feel like a new person. I finally feel normal again."

Cherylnjerry98 December 16, 2015

"Life-saving!"

SamHKz (taken for 10 years or more) December 12, 2015

"Really helpful for chronic back and neck pain. Also really helpful for neuropathy pain. Makes it a bit harder to think. But I was taken off it cold turkey after a doctor switch. The withdrawals; I was on a low dose, were really bad. Hot flashes and restless leg were prominent for a couple of weeks. Iron supplements helped the restless leg syndrome a lot. Don't know why methadone caused it. Because of the withdrawal and the dulled thinking, I would hesitate to use this drug again, but I do miss it's helpfulness for pain."

Ivory dream (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2015

"I have dealt with chronic back issues for 10 years now. I rode professional rodeo for 14 years riding bulls my body literally Took a beating. I have always been in construction as a trade 15 years ago I started my own business as a GC I fell 20 feet off of the ladder injuring my neck and back on top of already having back problems I've been on every pain medicine you could imagine with no results until I started taking methadone I take 80mg/ Day. I currently am in between doctors and slowly trying to wean myself off until I can get in somewhere to get back on my meds however this is very difficult I'm finding. "

Anonymous December 7, 2015

"Been taking since 2008 since all other treatments failed. I get 80 percent pain relief with min side effects - problems staying asleep. But good out weighs bad. Pain started 1981 since workplace injuries and accidents. Worsen 2005 Neck back hands shoulders etc."

TrentonGirl (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 27, 2015

"I find this to be the best and most affordable pain medicine on the market, I live with chronic p pain from 4 abdominal surgeries for Endo and several broken/shattered bone is wrist and foot since I have osteroperosis also, and a torn rotator cuff injury as well now, I take 2-3 a day 10mg, makes me a little tired some days and problems with constipation since I have loads of adhesions from stomach surgeries, that adds to the constipation too but I can live a normal life now, and I thank God that my doctor prescribes it for my pain as some doctors would rather have me take 8 Percocets a day or have more surg, and they don't help half as much as the 2-3 methadone tablets I take as needed. They are also so cheap in price compared to other drug"

JoJo80 October 7, 2015

"I was prescribed methadone about 10 years ago. I didn't like taking a lot of the short term medications because of all the side effects. Methadone helps me with my pain more than the other drugs I had been prescribed. I function a lot better taking methadone and have no side effects. methadone works for longer periods of time and I don't have to worry about all the different effects other drugs gave me. I take 20mg a day. I have another pain medication I take if needed but seldom do I need to take it because methadone works so well."

tysontwin2 October 6, 2015

"This is the second time I have been on Methadone for chronic back pain. I weened myself off Methadone a couple years ago. My condition has worsened and pain doctor's don't like to prescribe narcotics anymore. I was in so much pain, and was on the verge of suicide, so my primary doctor called my pain doctor and asked him to prescribe Methadone. This has been a lifesaver. Still in pain, but can function now."

Helps with pain (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2015

"I was offered 20mg/day of this medication at pain management but was afraid to try it. I had gotten a hold of a few and tried one 10mg pill for extreme fibromyalgia pain because I ran 3 days short on my normal pain meds. 12 hours later and I am still pain free. I'd rather use this once a day than oxycodone 3-4x a day. Mind you, I did extensive research before using the medication. I like the fact that I have been pain free all day without feeling loopy or high. No cravings or discomfort from withdrawing from other pain meds. Would definitely recommend this for anyone with chronic pain or if you just want to detox comfortably."

spooky607 (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2015

"The only meds I have ever taken that takes most of the pain away and last longer than all other meds!"

Lit-Ricky September 24, 2015

"I have had chronic pain for almost ten years and have tried other pain medication but methadone by far works the best for me. It is effects are long lasting and if it was not for having a great doctor that monitors my usage, made me sign a contract saying I would not get other pain meds from other doctors, gives random drug screenings to make sure that I actually do take the meds and do not use any street drugs. I am subject at any time to pill counts to make sure I am not using too many pills. I am very grateful to have a doctor that is willing to work with someone that has chronic pain not pass the buck to another doctor."

gramma1231 September 23, 2015

"Degenerative Disc Disease-Lower Back and other age/arthritis related pain: Was on Vicodin (hydrocodone and acetaminophen) for 5 years, which helped some. Then on to Oxycodone for several months, which helped a little more but had side effects of nausea, stomach upset (acid reflux), difficulty thinking (euphoria), and quick tolerance and dependence. Now, after 3 full months of methadone, 10mg tablet three times per day orally; my pain is well managed, no problems with thinking (no 'high'), no nausea, or stomach upset. Tolerance has been small. Methadone is a powerful opiate analgesic and I did build up a strong dependency (WD's after a day or two of reduced (50%) dosing), but no interdose WD's with normal dosing. DANGER! OD will kill!"

Grabdog (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2015