User Reviews for Methadone

Also known as: Dolophine, Methadone Diskets, Methadose, Methadose Sugar-Free

Learn more about Methadone.

Methadone Review Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 76 medications used in the treatment of Chronic Pain.

Reviews for Methadone to treat Chronic Pain

"I have had the same experiences as many others - chronic pain. I have tried all prescription pain relief which has led to dependency. This has been helped by methadone. However, it surprises me that this page reads like an endorsement for the drug... methadone IS still a drug and a highly addictive one, at that. I have read people saying 100 mgs/day and 10 years of use. Methadone can be effective but, it is not an ideal substitution for other drugs, There is a bad stigma attached because it CAN be dangerous. I hope that no one chooses to self- medicate after reading these comments and I most definitely don't want kids to get the impression that it is safe to take in such high dosages or at all without a prescribing physician. Good luck to everyone."

xrtjm136 August 30, 2015

"Neck fusion, lower back pain, nerve damage, I highly recommend this to get your life back"

Sgtjohn June 16, 2015

"I've been taking this medicine for almost 4 years and I have had some horrible experiences, and side effects almost all of them, but there is one that's not listed my Teeth, all of them are breaking off to the gum line I wear a permanent bridge and the teeth that the bridge is bonded to have broken off now I have one tooth holding on a four teeth bridge and I have so much bone loss that all of my teeth are so loose that I could probably pull them out with my fingers, I don't see anything about this medicine in the list of side effects about it eating up the enamel and bone in your mouth does anyone know or have experienced the same problem and if there is a class action lawsuit about Methadone thank you "

Fishingirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 6, 2015

"I've been on Methadone for 5 years due to chronic pain from diffuse scleroderma and acute myositis. I tried every possible OTC med, narcotics (including high doses of morphine and fentanyl), Neurontin, Lyrica, physical therapy and nerve blocks. Nothing helped and I barely functioned....could barely walk to the bathroom and thought suicide was my only option for relief. Fortunately a new pain doctor recommended Methadone. Titrated up to 20mg 3 times a day with wonderful results along with oxycodone 30mg 3-4 times a day for breakthrough pain. I was able to walk 3 miles each day, no sedation or side effects. A new doctor tried to wean me off both with horrible pain returning...changed docs and back to previous doses. A Godsend drug!!"

Wendyhappiness June 3, 2015

"Methadone is THE ONLY drug that handles my stenosis and osteoarthritis. I have been on it for 5 yrs. Dr had me up to 200mg/day at one point which, I admit, was too much. However lately the Drs around here are terrified of the newer FDA reports and want nothing to do with it. My GP lowered me to 30 mg/day and this IS INSUFFICIENT. He actually handed me off to a pain center that is 40 miles away and I can't drive due to eye problems. This is VERY hard on my wife and her job. The pain center pushed suboxone but, after much consideration and research, I decided against it. Suboxone apparently does nothing for the pain that is the root of the problem! I can usually be fine on 60mg/day but weather related breakthrough pain requires more maybe 3 or 4 days /month average. My Drs won't allow me to live my life. Anyone have any suggestions?"

storkysr (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 8, 2015

Methadone Diskets (methadone): "Ok, I was dependent on pain pills, and other illegal narcotics. The other pain pills were working pretty good, to be honest, but they caused euphoria, and when it causes euphoria, you chase that euphoria, and I would run out of my script WAY to early, and had to go out in the streets for more pain pills or other illegal narcotics. I discussed this with my doctor, he put me on 40mg of methadone, 2x a day, and I finally got my life back on track. You feel good everyday on methadone, without raising your dose, like other pain pills. I can honestly say, methadone DEF. saved my life. Thank you Methadone for saving me, my family, and my faith. Methadone is def. a life saver!"

Methacodone (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 25, 2015

Methadone Diskets (methadone): "Methadone is a lifesaver. It gives me that freedom to get through the day with the pain that I have. It is better than any other pain killer out there hands down. I dont have to worry about do I need More or cravings like other pain killers."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2015

"Have had 5 major cervical surgeries. Fused C2-T1 posteriorly and C2-C5 anteriorly. Lots of nerve damage and resulting pain. Many years on Oxy's and Fentanyl. Several years ago I started Methadone Tx. Worked up to 120mg/day in divided doses with Dilaudid for breakthrough. It's an excellent pain med and cheap if you have to pay for it. But after OBAMACARE destroyed my insurance (4X), no pain mngmt doctor will even talk to me. I'm currently having to wean myself off these meds as the pain returns. These docs only have to cover pre-existing conditions if they accept you as a patient. So if you lose yours and nobody will talk to you, you're in a leaking boat without a paddle! It's not easy to stop, that I promise you... Go very slow if you must!"

Fusedx7 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 1, 2015

"Stomach cramps every day and night"

Fastboy (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2015

"Got pain gone"

heney February 3, 2015

"Suffer with back pain since 1984 after 3 operations, also have had severe headaches since 1967. Some meds work on back pain but nothing ever had helped my headaches until I found methadone. Now one medicine has offered more relief than any other has for more than 40 years."

Mad Ruskie January 29, 2015

"Started on Methadone in the hospital after 2nd Laminectomy & fusion L-4 to S-1. I am on 30mgs 4 times a day (120mg in 24 hrs) I noticed an immediate weight gain of 20lbs (that I can't get rid of) and complete cessation of my menses! I was NOT warned of these side effects! The extra weight adds to my back pain & depression. I just don't know what to do! I want off of this, but I have failed other medications! I just want my body back (20 lbs lighter) AND help with my pain!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 24, 2015

"I have been taking methadone for chronic pain for a few years now and I have had great success. I'm so glad the doctor tried this on me."

browneyes0011 December 30, 2014

"Prior to Methadone therapy, my physician prescribed several different medications without being able to control my pain. The medications caused negative physical and emotional reactions without removing pain. Methadone therapy has been my MIRACLE. I went from bed-ridden to being able to function as a human being on Methadone. The success of Methadone depends on the patient following the physicians' orders and NOT altering them or taking OTC medications without consulting your physician FIRST."

KimberRN (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 23, 2014

"I was diagnosed with arthritis, fibromyalgia, and chronic hip pain along with a severe case of plantars fasciitis (the least of my problems) when I was about a month pregnant. I came clean with my new Dr, telling him I had been self medicating with pain medicines since I was 14 and in a car accident. No Dr would help me because I was so young. Well not this time. My Dr realized that if he didn't find some way to help me it could be bad, so he instantly prescribed me methadone. It was safe in pregnancy with the right dose...it was a God send. My quality of life was back to 100%, it even helps with depression I believe. Best pain medicine I have ever been given."

Swedishsweetie (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 15, 2014

"Excellent! I have used high dose methadone for severe chronic pain treatment. I love the relief level after long term use. Maintaining unimpaired cognitive function (no "high"), no compromised respiratory function, no compromise of GI tract (nausea, constipation), no withdrawal effects, even with sudden total stoppage of the med. I have used for ten(10) years after three(3) on high dose sustained release oxycodone(OxyContin). I suffered severe multi-traumatic injuries from an explosion and four story fall in 1999 after nineteen(19) years as a professional FireFighter/Paramedic and have experienced severe chronic pain since regaining consciousness. Methadone should be the front line go to medicine for more patients by physicians."

ProFiredog (taken for 10 years or more) October 27, 2014

"I have suffered from chronic back and neck pain since 2007 and have tried just about every pain medication on the market with little to no relief. Finally my doctors tried Methadone. It does not remove all pain but does provide enough relief so that I can function on a daily basis, there is no "high" when taking this medication and the need for dosage increases is much less frequent than with other pain medications. I did find that I had some weight gain but with proper diet that can be controlled. I also suffered from severe hot flashes, as a man this was not expected and took a while before they figured out that the medications I was on dropped my Testosterone level, but with injections all that was corrected."

trying to survive October 21, 2014

Dolophine (methadone): "Is very good for chronic pain without very much side effects. Very effective."

BRINO (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 17, 2014

"I've had major back pain- 5 back surgeries with chronic pain nothing has given relief, I've been put on all kinds of medications and fentynil patches which really were awful!! Methadone was prescribed by a pain management Dr assigned to me in hospital after one surgery, he told me it's been around a thousand years, has very few side effects and works better. It by far has been the best for me, I don't have the fuzzy brain like the rest of the drugs do, it has been consistent in pain relief it doesn't take an hour to work then stop in 3, it continues working!"

Kmegamom (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 23, 2014

Methadone Diskets (methadone): "Great for Pain but Never Stop taking it without being Dosed down slowly"

Greg WV September 18, 2014

"Started methadone a week ago. Have been suffering with severe chronic pain after breaking my back three years ago. So far this is the best medication for pain relief I have ever taken. I am hoping the sleepy (can't keep my eyes open) side effect goes away once I'm on it for a bit longer."

Natty34 July 20, 2014

"I've been fighting the pain management battle for about 6 years now, and I can finally say that I might have finally won. Just really don't understand why doctors waste peoples time with anything else for actual chronic pain. Methadone is a God send! If anyone is reading this and is in pain, do yourself and your family a favor and find a Dr that will prescribe this for you."

oldrty (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 15, 2014

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am very happy with the way Methadone takes care of my pain. I have been on it for 5 years, same dose and don't feel like it has lost effectiveness. It's long acting so I don't have breakthrough pain unless I forget to take it on time. The only real problem I have with it is it killed my appetite for most foods. I live on greek yogurt with fruit mixed in and maybe a bowl of shredded wheat to keep me regular. My cupboards are bare because I don't want anything else. I take a multi-vitamin daily so I don't get anemic. Very good pain medicine, does the job."

keleeemo (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 8, 2014

"I became very addicted to opiates from chronic pain that I was talking about 10 30mg oxycodone in a day. Trust me when I say that methadone has saved my life and my pocket. I will NEVER go back to that life. Methadone keeps me pain free everyday all day. It's the best by far. Hope your experience is as good for you as for me and many others."

kaj2871 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 5, 2014

Methadone Diskets (methadone): "The absolute best formula, with NMDA Receptor Antagonist Properties for Pain such as severe chronic pain management, For a Severe case of RSD/CRPS My dose was 3 1/2 Diskettes twice daily..dissolve in water, my RSD/CRPS was going into remission thanks to the proper dosing. My feeling is they took away the diskettes to re-capitalize by doing away with this tablet and charging more for a 5 - 10 mg tablets."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) June 26, 2014