User Reviews for Metformin

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

Learn more about Metformin.

Metformin review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.

Reviews for Metformin to treat Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

Review by clarieh:

I have been on metformin ( the regular one) 850mg once a day at night since May 2014 for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. The first day I took it I had the worst explosive diarrhea. I persisted with it and it was giving me bouts of nausea, stomach cramps, poor sleep and diarrhea. It has been 3 months now and the symptoms have stopped. I think if you persist at it, and definitely take it after a meal, it will be okay! My periods are still being artificially controlled with norethisterone daily so I can't comment if metformin has regulated my menses, but I am hoping to stop the norethisterone soon!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 19, 2014 3:22 AM

Review by Mason25 (taken for less than 1 month):

My story is similar to those who have posted. I gained A LOT of weight, and had unwanted hair growth due to the polycystic ovarian syndrome. I've been on metformin for almost 3 weeks and have lost 13lbs. The day I started the metformin, I also started a low carb diet. Prior to metformin, I couldn't control my craving for salty, carb filled food. For the past two and a half weeks I have been able to finally control the cravings. My energy levels have increased by 50%. I also waxed the unwanted hair the day I started, and already I have noticed that less is growing back in. I wish I started metformin two years ago because I literally feel like PCOS has taken two years of my life away from me! I hope it works for others as well as it has worked for me.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2014 8:14 PM

Review by Sum21 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Since my last child 5 years ago my body has been all out of whack piling on the weight, late periods or none at all for months on end, no matter how much I dieted and exercised the weight would not come off. My doctor diagnosed me with depression at first and took bloods to find out I had polycystic ovarian syndrome. I have been prescribed two 500mg doses a day of metformin and at first had quite a bad stomach upset for approximately the first 3 weeks. I am now rolling into my 5th week and feel great. The weights slowly coming off and the side effects are non existent now. Hoping to conceive a child soon if things go to plan.

March 9, 2014 11:13 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been taking 1000mg Metformin ER once per day for 3 weeks now. Experienced barely any side effects about from a little nausea for 2 days but nothing more after that (for anyone experiencing nausea, my gyno really emphasised to take it with a meal to stop you from feeling that way). I feel great while taking it and have lost 4.5 kilo's already (with moderate exercise). I haven't had a period in 104 days. But have been feeling some cramps the last few days, so hopefully the metformin will begin to regulate my crazy cycles.

March 9, 2014 6:11 AM

Review by ElleBee:

I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome 18 years ago. My experience has been horrible. Very irregular cycles. Ranging from massive bloat, extreme flow, severe cramps, night sweats and facial hair. I maybe have 3 periods every 2 years. Finally my doctor put me on Metformin. The side effects for me are pretty bad. Mainly stomach pain and diarrhea. I work through it because I know my body will adjust. I've heard great things about this medicine and I'm willing go through a little discomfort to improve my irregular cycle.

October 16, 2013 4:16 PM

Review by Alyssa911:

After 6 months of taking the extended release metformin my cycle started and had being on point for the past 4 months. My acne has begun to clear and I feel better. Now begins my diet and exercise to drop excess weight. Unfortunately for my hair what has grown out will not go away, but I was also given spironolactone to prevent any more from growing until then waxing and plucking will work. Hope my review helped!

September 4, 2013 12:20 PM

Review by Frustrated PCOS Lady (taken for less than 1 month):

I have had diagnosed Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome since 1991. Years of problems. I tried Metformin the first time around 1995 and it did nothing. I had weight loss surgery in 2010 and got to just below 200 lbs. Hormones actually got worse with weight loss and a year later to the day, I had a full hysterectomy. 6 months later my only ovary started kicking into overdrive. Crazy hormones, cravings and of course ruptured cysts...all the time. Doc decided to try metformin and said it could be different this time. After a week I noticed great results. 2 weeks in I got so nauseated that I thought I had the flu. Then the headaches. They tried to diagnose me with migraines at the age of 42. It was the Metformin.

April 9, 2013 3:17 PM

Review by Toria Lynn:

I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome 2 years ago. Unfortunately it took several doctors and a 150 pound weight gain for someone to realize what was going on. During the 2 years since I was diagnosed my doctor has had me try everything and nothing has helped. Finally she decide to give me metformin. I've been on it for 10 days now. I'm currently only up to 1000 mg, but I've already lost 5 pounds. I've hardly had any side effects. Also my facial hair growth has slowed and I'm breaking out less.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 15, 2013 9:51 PM

Metformin has been great. I am lucky and have not had any of the gastrointestinal upset I was warned about. It has aided in my weight loss and help curb my carb cravings.

November 18, 2012 12:00 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 2 weeks ago. My ob put me on Metformin. When I first started taking it the nausea was bothersome but a couple days in, it was gone. I have been taking this for 10 days now and have lost 7 lbs! I am now taking 1000mg a day and have no negative side effects.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 25, 2012 4:58 PM

Review by 33yroldfemale (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I was misdiagnosed with depression/anxiety. Stopped menstruating in 2000 after taking the birth control shot. Gained 80lbs I can't shed. Started taking metformin after doctor connected the symptoms I had with my 4 miscarriages, and that I had to take fertility drugs to have the 2 children I have. I felt immediately better. Still have a hard time trying to shed the weight, but I feel like awful when I don't take this medicine.

July 25, 2012 11:04 AM

Review by mamabobcat71 (taken for less than 1 month):

It's my 7th day and beginning the new round...I go up from 500 mg to 1,000 mg today. I haven't seen anything as of yet. Maybe some gas. Finally a doctor has noticed this syndrome and now being treated. I'm 41 and it should have happen when I was in the 4th grade to at least high school. I have the pimples, had the monthly problems, weight, the horrible hair, and more. I have a lot of hope in this medicine and change in life! I also told 2 of my cousins about it as well.

May 17, 2012 10:27 AM

Review by Matsi:

Before I took Metformin I had a unpredictable and agonizingly painful cycle, had a bad odor, and was growing facial hair. I was also diagnosed with borderline diabetes. The change between then and now is amazing. My cycle is regular and normal, I don't smell bad constantly, and my face is clean and smooth. The Metformin also controls the diabetic aspect, so I only have to take one medication for two diseases. My biggest side-effect is the diarrhea and stomach upset, which is compounded by my Irritable Bowel Syndrome. This is easy to fix by eating a meal before taking Metformin. Despite the gastrointestinal issues, this medicine has changed my life for the better.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 8, 2012 12:35 AM

Metformin started off good for me. Except for the frequent diarrhea, it worked quickly to give me a normal period. I had no weight loss (though I really need it), and after 3 months my periods became irregular again. My doctor increased my dose after six months, and again after 3. I'm still not regularly regular, and it hasn't increased my ovulation (per a daily ovulation test). This medicine has generally great reviews, but it's very inconsistent for me.

February 20, 2012 12:28 AM

Have been taking taking half dose for 2 weeks and have increasingly felt horrible. Had nausea, dizziness, hot flashes, headaches, anxiety, depression. If you've never tried it, you should try it for yourself but my body is extremely sensitive and it did not work for me.

February 11, 2012 12:51 AM

Review by sptscristy:

My doctor diagnosed me with PCOS, 1 month ago and put me on Metformin to help with my period. The first week was fine except for cravings and a little diarrhea. By the third week I up my dose to 1000mg a day. The first day taking 1000mg I got really sick (vomiting) and every time I would move I felt like I was going to get sick again so basically I laid around all day (thank goodness I upped my dose on a weekend). After that I was fine, well as long as I took the pill on a full stomach had no problems in that area. I haven't lost anyway weight and the way I'm going I will probably be gaining soon because my cravings are getting out of hand. I have never been into as much chocolate or any kind of junk food until I started taking Metformin. I have also been constipated, cold sores on lips (two in a week) and pimples in areas that I don't usually get them. I don't know what to think about the pill so far, I will give it another month and see how it goes.

November 29, 2011 8:44 PM

I have only been on Metformin 5 days and I already see the difference in my symptoms. I have more energy and already lost 1.5lbs. Before, it took me a year to lose 10lbs. I have mild gastrointestinal discomfort but well worth it. It seems to help with food cravings. I used to drink 5 cups of coffee in the morning and I am down to only one without any caffeine withdrawal symptoms. I also don't crave sugar or high carb foods. I have a healthy snack in between meals to prevent blood sugar drops such as an apple, berries, or carrots. I would recommend this to anyone suffering from PCOS.

November 17, 2011 10:57 AM

I was diagnosed with PCOS 5 weeks ago and have been on Metformin ever since. So far I haven't lost any weight (Luckily my condition was caught before I gained too much, I only have about 25lbs to lose) I am a registered dietitian and exercise daily so the not losing weight is a bit discouraging but my Endocrinologist has assured me that I will, apparently with some people it can take up to 4 months to start losing. The side effects were horrible the first two weeks along with horrible cramping and a constant period for 3 weeks. However, now I have no side effects at all, you just have to stick with it. My doctor was great and recommended taking the metformin at night so that I would be at home for the side effects. I take 1500 mg daily.

November 3, 2011 11:40 PM

Review by Londongurl:

I have just been diagnosed with having Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Before the diagnosis I put on about 40 lbs just out of the blue within 8 months. I also had excess hair on my face, stomach and legs, and I only had about 6 periods in the last year. I went for a pelvic scan and for the last 9 days I have been taking Metformin (500mg twice a day) under the doctor's orders. Something is definitely happening because I had a period within 5 days of taking the medication and I've lost about 4 lbs in the last week. The side effects were annoying. I had a lot of gas and diarrhea for about 3 days. The side effects seem to have passed now. My overall experience with Metformin is fairly good so far. I am looking forward to seeing more results.

October 2, 2011 7:44 PM

Glucophage (metformin): This medicine has definitely improved my quality of life. Within the first 2 weeks of starting metformin, I lost 8 pounds (where before I struggled to lose weight). Now I am in a healthy BMI for my height group. I experienced no nausea while taking this medicine (I took it in the middle of a meal). I did experience some intestinal side effects (gas / diarrhea) for the first week, and the first week I increased my dose.

September 27, 2011 2:17 PM

The only issue with this medication for me was the stomach upset, gas and diarrhea. However, the positives totally outweigh the negatives. After 6 months with no period and working out 3-4 days a week with no weight loss, it took 2 weeks on 1000mg/day of metformin to have a period and lose 5 lbs! I noticed that the stomach upset is worst when I eat something heavy or fatty. I continue to work out and am anxious to see where I will be a year from now.

September 24, 2011 10:44 AM

I've been on metformin for 2 weeks now and am so happy with the results that it makes me want to cry. I've lost 6 pounds, I have my energy back and I'm just happy again. I feel like I'm back to myself after not being for the past 3 years. I would recommend it to anyone who suffers from PCOS.

May 5, 2011 4:44 PM

Review by AahlenHayam:

I have been diagnosed with PCOS for over 4 years, but only have been prescribed Metformin after seeing no results with combined pills. Having gained so much weight over the past year now weighing 75kgs, this medication does not seem to be working at all with my weight loss. I'm on 2 x 500mg a day. Have had few bad side effects, nausea and bad breath. I brush my teeth endlessly, but doesn't seem to improve. As long as I can lose weight I don't mind the side effects, but I've been on this medication for over a month now and I have not lost any weight.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 25, 2011 6:21 AM

I was originally started on Metformin two years ago-when I first started I was supposed to take 500mg twice a day then gradually up to three times a day. No matter when I took it I got horribly sick to where I missed work and could not even leave the house. After stopping the metformin I tried other medications and things got worse. After reading some reviews I started taking Metformin extended release. I have been taking it for about three weeks and have had no stomach issues. If you have a sensitive stomach I highly suggest asking about the extended release. I take it at night with dinner and I am fine. Hope this helps!

December 20, 2010 4:06 PM

Review by Kim S:

I have had a hard time adjusting to it. I have been taking it for about two months 500mg twice a day. I am always tired and if I don't sleep enough I am sick all day. I am hungry all day but almost everything nauseates me, and I get discomfort pains in my lower stomach. I usually can handle the pain and discomfort but since we've been trying to conceive for five years, all the symptoms similar to pregnancy plays games with my mind. Aside from all that, I still plan to take the medicine for as long as it takes. If anyone has the symptoms similar to mine please let me know, anything you are doing to make it easier. Thank you.

November 5, 2010 11:47 PM