User Reviews for Metformin

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

Learn more about Metformin.

Metformin Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.

Reviews for Metformin to treat Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

"I had my son at the age of 18yrs old. Soon after my period stop. For yrs. I try different doctors and they didn't know why my period just stopped. Some Doctors even told me I had gone though menopause. Ridiculous!!!! I'm 32yrs now over weight and I was diagnosed with pcos I started on metformin 500mg/1x. I hope I get my period and I hope I to get pregnant. I enjoy reading other people story I thought I share mine too. It's good to know I'm not the only one going through this. I will update my results!!!"

Fingurecross readers February 4, 2016

"I have been taking metformin for 6 months along with birth control pills I've lost 18 pounds in those 6 months I was taking 1000 everyday in Sept 2015 but in DEC 2015 the doc increased me to 1500mg I do still have side effects I haven't become pregnant I'm scared to let the birth control pills go because I'm scared my period won't come on naturally I am pleased with my weight loss I went from 299-281 and I hope to keep losing. I'll let the birth control pills go when I've lost a little more weight. My pcos have been a problem since I was 17 I'm now 35 I hope I can a least conceive one child of my own"

Toy2012 February 4, 2016

"pcos diagnosis at 25, weight issues, irregular periods, cystic ovaries. No medication. At 26 I fell pregnant naturally to my first and only (hopefully only so far) and after I gave birth I really copped the brunt of my PCOS. Even though I breastfed I went an entire year without a period so Dr put on metformin 500mg a day. Within a week my periods started again and have been semi-regular since (only ever off by a max of 3 days at my due date). My anxiety and depression calmed down dramatically too. I have experienced weight loss on the medication but only through hard work, not with some of the ease I have read about. I did also experience the digestive complaints, but mainly when I took the medication on an empty stomach. They do ease."

Tink85 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 21, 2016

"Actually I was diagnosed with PCOS in which I have few symptoms like unwanted hair growth, hair fall. But my weight did not increase. And I don't have acne problems. So I want to confirm what should I do to over come from this problem"

Malu cherry January 20, 2016

"Here is my story I was having irregular periods when I was 16 year old so the Dr put me on birth control pills. When I was 17 or 18 years old I found out I had fibroids, pre- diabetes , high blood pressure so I was on metfromin, birth control pill and high blood pressure for 12 years I decide last year in August 2015 to stop taking my birth control pill ... I decide to take progrestrone cream, vitex, metformin and my period came on mid September 2015 I starting crying and praying my period last about 6 days... So October, November and December I missed my periods it finally came January 1, 2016 I was taking progrestrone cream, vitex, black cohosh, vitamin c, metformin .. So I hope end of this month my period start"

Parisw January 18, 2016

"I have sat here and read all your reviews. I was diagnosed with PCOS about a year ago to be honest haven't done much. I do have 2 kids. Why am i here? For those of you who want to have a baby you should try seed rotation along with your metformin. Pcos is a hormonal imbalance which the seeds WILL regulate allowing you to conceive. I have not started Metformin not until Sat but i do take my seeds regularly and have seen a decrease in hair growth (lighter eventually stopped) as well as weigth loss. I am not curently sexually active but i did recommend it to someone who was having trouble concieve and within 4 months they were pregnant. I am attaching a link so you can read further. Thanks and good luck to everyone!! Stay hopeful "

1001 Problems January 13, 2016

"I have taken Metformin 500 mg once daily in the last 6 month. Finally I got to the Endocrinology and they put me on 2000 mg per day. Now I am slowly increasing the dose - I had bad diarrhoea, cramps and everything you can imagine! Hopefully the side effects will go away - because otherwise I have no problem with it. Slow but steady weight loss, no more food cravings, and crazy frustration if I can't get my hands on carbs. I noticed I don't really want to eat oily food,junk food....which is brilliant!"

Lonelycauliflower (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2016

"I found out I had PCOS in 2013 after trying to get pregnant for 3 yrs! I had started to gain weight slowly over the course of a year "25lbs". My doctor started metformin in August of 2014 and by September dropped 10lbs and by December a total of 28lbs. I'm 5'2 and that brought me back to about 128, a healthy weight! I found out in Febuary of 2015 I was pregnant!!! I had a healthy baby boy in Oct 2015 and I believe it was metformin!!!"

AmazingTerri December 2, 2015

"I started taking metfromin 500mg 2x a day for my pcos.. and im taking this medication for 3 days now and i am experiencing diarrhea.. hopefully this side effect will be gone soon..."

ove24 (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2015

"I found out I had PCOS about around June and its October. I am very over weight and I wanna lose weight but nothings working but this med helping keep my pcos under control I'm now taking 1000mg"

manda/nunu October 25, 2015

"I was diagnosed with pcos and a bicornate uterus last year! I was put on metformin in the beginning of this year I started at 500mg 2xs a day it became to much and I was always sick so now I have been taken metformin extended release 500mg once a day at night and haven't gotten sick hopefully it works for my husband and I."

Mrs.JMC October 8, 2015

"I got diagnosed with PCOS in 7/15. Started metformin HCL ER 1000mg mid August for a week and then bumped up to 1500mg the next week. I am 5'4 and started at 197lb. Now on 10/7/15 I am at 184 so a 13lb loss. I did get diarrhea when I first started but that resolved it's self after a week. I find that I have very little appetite for greasy foods. If anything when I eat unhealthy food I get nauseous so I'm avoiding it now. I go to the gym every once in a while and still managed to loss weight! Meeting my doctor next week to see if weight loss pills are an option!"

Alvacx (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2015

"I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 22. I opted to have a child and there was no difficulty. PCOS didn't bother me not until the year 2013. My weight increased from 48kg to 55kg and this year 2015 to 66kg not to mention the acne and hair growths and infertility. Missed my periods for 6 month now. this causes me depression and insecurity. I am starting to take metformin today at 500mg/day and I am hoping that this will help me just like to others with PCOS.will update soon..."

sld29 September 12, 2015

"I was diagnosed with PCOS about two years ago with my lack of energy, weight gain and irregular periods. I started on 500mg/day, then slowly upped the dose to now taking 2000mg/day. I have been on 2000mg/day for over a month now and still feel awful side effects. I am always nauseous, burping, indigestion, heartburn, diarrhrea, reduced sex drive (due to previously mentioned side effects), joint pain, loss of appetite, weakness... the list goes on. I am already low weight so feeling ill and not having an appetite is concerning. Also my period has not become more regular and in fact has become worse. When I was on just 500mg/day I felt fantastic so the doctor kept increasing the dose. I think I will go back down to a lower dose or stop"

LMS77 September 1, 2015

"I was way over weight I hated the way I looked and the way I felt. Then I had a small stroke and I then found out that I also had type 2 diabetes. A few months later I had two heart attacks my doctor put me on metformin to help with my sugar but I started losing weight slowly. I also started working out a little at a time. Now to date I have lost 92 pounds with in a year. Metformin may not work as well for you if you don't work out and go for walks but if you watch what you eat and how much slowly reduce the amount of food you eat go for walks and work out metformin will help , the first few weeks can be hard as your body adjust to it but that will pass. I feel great - I got my health back thank you metformin for the help !"

DesiKnecht August 31, 2015

"Following a miscarriage in November 2014, my Dr. had be on folic acid for 9 months before running some blood work tests. Found out I had PCOS the 20th of August after the results came back and started Metformin HCL the same day. I take 850 mg once a day and I found taking halfway through my meal has done away with 99% of the side effects. I know it's only been 10 days since I started it, but I feel less hungry and like I don't crave the junk food I did before. Here's to hoping it works!"

JWilson928 August 30, 2015

"Hello everyone So a little about myself I have PCOS got diagnose in 3/15 My doc gave me metformin 500 mg a day but after 2 months taking it and not having any symptoms I raised it up to 1000 mg a day that's when I started feeling the symptoms mostly diarrhea I finally got my period on 7/15 but for aug I didn't get one did a pregnancy test and came back neg so hopefully I get one soon... Also I have a 8 yr old from my previous marriage (which he was conceived natural) I now been with my husband for 7 yrs and we never taken care and we haven't been able to conceive. My husband really wants kids and I do too but I kind of lost hope. Not long ago did I find out my husband had and affair and got her pregnant she's due Dec so that breaks my heart."

vlovesad28 August 28, 2015

"I was dx'd with PCOS @18yrs. Didn't start taking metformin until 20 for 3years. I took 500mg 3xdaily. This med helped regulate my cycles and aid weight loss. 30lbs loss in less than a year. And best of all I was able to conceive. Now fast forward to 31yrs old and I'm now back on 500mg once daily to manage my symptoms and to keep the diagnosis of diabetes away. If you can get past the diarrhea, it's a great med that does help."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2015

"its hard to deal with metformin i have been on this drug about 6 months now it does settle but takes a while as they increase you dose every so often but my periods have become more regular and i have lost nearly 2 stone but the side affects are horrible at time but i stuck to it and its really helped me"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2015

"Metformin so far has been good to me. I have had no side effects. Most likely because I stick to the diet the doctor prescribed. I stay away from carbs from bread, fried food, and candy and sweets. I mainly eat fruits, veggies, and salads in moderation. I feel really good."

Krissyb112 August 21, 2015

"I was diagnosed with pcos in June. I started taking metformin 3 weeks and I've noticed a big difference in my appetite. I'm not hungry as often. I have been getting diarrhea and nausea but I have a very sensitive stomach so I'm not surprised. No other changes yet. I'm 4 months late so hopefully it'll bring my period."

Larissa_Vanessa August 18, 2015

"I started taking Metformin because it was the last hope to help control my hormones and bring back my cycles. i have PCOS and Endometriosis, and the combination of the 2 is horrible when you cant take HRT. After 3 days of taking it i got my period finally after 113 days late. I am a bit worried as i am underweight and havent got an appetite, but im slowly getting used to them,and will hopefully be eating properly soon. fingers crossed it helps me concieve!!!!"

Ellyrosee August 17, 2015

"I am now just over 3 weeks in from starting on metformin and have increased to 1000mg a day, possibly increasing to 1500mg a day tomorrow, I have lost my first stone but I must make it clear that I feel that this is more due to my diet than the metformin, I have been calorie counting with the help of an app and know that I am coming up to my difficult time where I always struggle with my diet at about this stage. I have also been taking provera to try and regulate my bleeding which unfortunately isn't yet giving me the desired effects, I am currently suffering a lot of cramps and heavy bleeding but am trying hard to stick with it by focusing on what I want at the end of all this which is hopefully a successful pregnancy and a healthy baby."

Lucy79 (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2015

"I was diagnosed with PCOS in January 2015 then started metformin in July and got a BFP in August. Metformin helped me ovulate and regulate my menstruals. Very thankful."

Lauradtx August 12, 2015

"I am 53 and recently dx with "a variant of PCOS." I have struggled with my weight all my life and very severe unwanted hair on face and body. Still, my periods were always regular and I easily conceived two children in my mid-late 30s; both pg were normal, with full term healthy babies. I wasn't terribly surprised when I was dx with type 2 diabetes two years ago. My dr. rx metformin. I started at 500 mg once a day and a year later he upped it to 500mg twice a day. At 1000mg a day, I am finally seeing a decrease in my facial hair. No help with weight loss however. My blood sugar is very well controlled. If I take it with food (low carb) I don't have any problems with side effects."

WaterdogsRule August 10, 2015