User Reviews for Lantus

Diabetes, Type 1 5 reviews 58 medications

7.8
Summary of Lantus reviews 19 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Lantus

For Diabetes, Type 2 "People who have higher incomes on medicare and who take 2 insulins plus more than 10 other medications including additional tier 3 meds for life do not fit into any supported categories. I reached the donut hole April 19 when my monthly medicine payments were $45 for each tier 3 medicine. Now one lantus is $173 for 20 days, novalog is about the same plus a additional 250 or more for other meds. I worked hard all my life to get a decent social security and now have stopped taking my lantus because I cannot afford $173 for every 20 days. "

GERIdtrager June 14, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Cramps in hands fingers legs more, excessive hunger, weight gain 18 lbs. I also use novolog flexpen 3 times a day = 20 / lantus 1 at bedime = 46. Tiredness & weak more so than ever, is constant. Bowel movements constantly different."

Hushlizard (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 23, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I was using Levimir for the past 7-8 years. A new endocrinologist suggested Lantus for evening/bedtime use and it was an immediate success."

5DoxMom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 29, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I have been a diabetic for 20 years now. I am on metformin 1000mg two times a day. I have also been on Lantus for the same time. A Doctor can tell you what to take but it may not be right. I was told to take 65 units at bedtime, but if I was sick or did not eat much that day I could bottom out in the AM. What I'm trying to say is you will have to find the right dose for you by checking your blood sugar on a regular basis.If your blood sugar was 350 at bedtime my lantus dose would be 82. I seldom take the same dose every night and I am staying in the good A1C range 22 for a 435 range will not work for me either. It's tough but you must keep a log to see what dose you gave yourself the last time and adjust it from there. Love you guy's."

CASEYCARTER April 23, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I have been on Lantus for over 3 weeks and I feel I HAVE less control of my sugar levels. I take 22 units at bedtime, and it isnt lowering my levels like it should. Per doctor, I cannot take regular insulin with it as the Lantus is a 24 hr dose. So if my level spikes to sway 435, I can't take a shot of regular insulin to bring it down, I have to ride it out till bedtime when I can take another does of Lantus. I would rather take regular insulin every 6 hrs than do the Lantus, as It gives me more control of the dose I need for my sugar levels."

tlash (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Oral meds did not bring down the A1c nor the fasting blood sugars which stayed in the 140s and kept climbing. . I have now been on Lantus for 6 months, titrated dose every Saturday increasing dose by 4 units per week until my fasting blood sugars are averaging 100, A1c is in normal rang now. Have not had any hypoglycemia bouts which happened with the oral meds. I give this insulin a two thumbs up."

epaul February 25, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Lantus is my first treatment with insulin. I am presently at 22 units once a day and my numbers are much lower than before when just on metformin and glimepiride. I do not have to use glimeperide now. I do not have the terrible lows as before and my highs are a lot less. I feel better, in general but I have gained some weight."

SnowsMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Excellent!"

yieyie17 (taken for 10 years or more) October 5, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 1 "I've been taking it for 11 years and it works great. I have to take it twice a day though because (for me) the effects don't last as long as they're meant to."

Almost perfect...needs to last longer. (taken for 10 years or more) July 7, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Have been using Lantus for 3 weeks. Injecting 15-20 units per day and have not experienced a substantial reduction in glucose readings. Am upping dose to 24 units/day. Also have been taking 2.5g of Metformin with insulin shots. When my glucose goes above 300, I need to take 4mg of Glimepiride to knock it down. "

SlotCasino March 12, 2013

For Diabetes, Type 1 "I have diabetes Type 1 with insulin resistance. Works well. I use 200u/day, 100 AM, 100 PM. It can burn quite a bit when injected, this is because Lantus is fairly acidic with a pH of around 4. When the low pH hits the higher pH of the body, it forms microscopic crystals that are absorbed slowly. This precipitating action that causes the burn as well as makes Lantus a long-acting insulin. It helps me to inject the 100 units in 2-3 sites so less goes in per site. Also be sure to leave the needle in for 15-30 seconds to avoid leakage. I'm a chemist by trade."

Qimmuhst (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 13, 2012

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I have been on Lantus almost since came out, I use 50 units at bedtime and also I use Novolin 70/30 at 25 units at bedtime and 40 units in the morning."

Old timer (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 14, 2012

For Diabetes, Type 2 "My doctor prescribed lantus at an increase of two units every three days until my fasting sugars are at 120 or below. After two months my readings still range between 250 and 315. I started at 20 units and am now up to 50. It probably is lowering my blood sugar to some degree, but not significantly. I need something more effective. At this rate I'll be up to 80 units daily or more to reach my goal and will suffer side effects from such a high dose. I feel hungry all the time since using this and I've gained weight. "

fullofsugar January 31, 2012

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Used to inject Novolin N twice a day (50 units mornings and at bedtime) and R throughout the day. Much harder to control blood glucose and it allowed me to cheat by eating that cake and increase amounts of injections. I use Lantus now once a day. So much easier. Still trying to adjust amounts (last night blood glucose was 43). Supplement with 5 units of NovoLog before each meal. Insulin spike lasts only one hour."

soxman July 25, 2011

For Diabetes, Type 1 "Lantus has been a miracle for me. Prior to using it, my blood sugars were completely out of control. My numbers were so high at times, they wouldn't even register. I did everything my doctor told me to with no success. When I was taking R and N insulin, I'd have extreme highs and lows with my blood sugars. There simply was no regulation. Lantus so far has leveled out my blood sugar levels. I take it in conjunction with Humalog. Between the two, most of the spikes I've experiences have stopped. Although with the Humalog, I do have to be careful with hypoglycemic events. The combination of the two insulins is the only thing that's ever helped me. And I've been on everything you can imagine. It looks like I'll finally control my diabetes."

Altaira September 26, 2010

For Diabetes, Type 1 "I like this but it made my head hurt and give me a dry mouth."

william123 December 30, 2009

For Diabetes, Type 1 "Insulin works great but water gain is awful."

jz June 17, 2009

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Seems to work best when I control my eating habits and give my injections at the scheduled times (twice a day)."

HARDWHITE May 13, 2009

For Diabetes, Type 2 "The drug is very effective. The only problems I have had are low blood sugar levels while working in hot environments. In Saudi in the spring and summer months I would constantly go low while working in the heat."

Crowbar1 May 10, 2009