User Reviews for Lantus

7.8
Summary of Lantus reviews 11 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Lantus

Review by Almost perfect...needs to last longer. (taken for 10 years or more):

For Diabetes, Type 1: I've been taking it for 11 years and it works great. I have to take it twice a day though because (for me) the effects don't last as long as they're meant to.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 7, 2014 7:30 PM

Review by SlotCasino:

For Diabetes, Type 2: Have been using Lantus for 3 weeks. Injecting 15-20 units per day and have not experienced a substantial reduction in glucose readings. Am upping dose to 24 units/day. Also have been taking 2.5g of Metformin with insulin shots. When my glucose goes above 300, I need to take 4mg of Glimepiride to knock it down.

March 12, 2013 2:08 PM

Review by Qimmuhst (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Diabetes, Type 1: I have diabetes Type 1 with insulin resistance. Works well. I use 200u/day, 100 AM, 100 PM. It can burn quite a bit when injected, this is because Lantus is fairly acidic with a pH of around 4. When the low pH hits the higher pH of the body, it forms microscopic crystals that are absorbed slowly. This precipitating action that causes the burn as well as makes Lantus a long-acting insulin. It helps me to inject the 100 units in 2-3 sites so less goes in per site. Also be sure to leave the needle in for 15-30 seconds to avoid leakage. I'm a chemist by trade.

December 13, 2012 4:55 AM

Review by Old timer (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Diabetes, Type 2: I have been on Lantus almost since came out, I use 50 units at bedtime and also I use Novolin 70/30 at 25 units at bedtime and 40 units in the morning.

May 14, 2012 2:56 PM

Review by fullofsugar:

For Diabetes, Type 2: My doctor prescribed lantus at an increase of two units every three days until my fasting sugars are at 120 or below. After two months my readings still range between 250 and 315. I started at 20 units and am now up to 50. It probably is lowering my blood sugar to some degree, but not significantly. I need something more effective. At this rate I'll be up to 80 units daily or more to reach my goal and will suffer side effects from such a high dose. I feel hungry all the time since using this and I've gained weight.

January 31, 2012 11:47 AM

Review by soxman:

For Diabetes, Type 2: Used to inject Novolin N twice a day (50 units mornings and at bedtime) and R throughout the day. Much harder to control blood glucose and it allowed me to cheat by eating that cake and increase amounts of injections. I use Lantus now once a day. So much easier. Still trying to adjust amounts (last night blood glucose was 43). Supplement with 5 units of NovoLog before each meal. Insulin spike lasts only one hour.

July 25, 2011 9:07 PM

Review by Altaira:

For Diabetes, Type 1: Lantus has been a miracle for me. Prior to using it, my blood sugars were completely out of control. My numbers were so high at times, they wouldn't even register. I did everything my doctor told me to with no success. When I was taking R and N insulin, I'd have extreme highs and lows with my blood sugars. There simply was no regulation. Lantus so far has leveled out my blood sugar levels. I take it in conjunction with Humalog. Between the two, most of the spikes I've experiences have stopped. Although with the Humalog, I do have to be careful with hypoglycemic events. The combination of the two insulins is the only thing that's ever helped me. And I've been on everything you can imagine. It looks like I'll finally control my diabetes.

September 26, 2010 2:06 PM

Review by william123:

For Diabetes, Type 1: I like this but it made my head hurt and give me a dry mouth.

December 30, 2009 7:49 PM

Review by jz:

For Diabetes, Type 1: Insulin works great but water gain is awful.

June 17, 2009 10:59 PM

Review by HARDWHITE:

For Diabetes, Type 2: Seems to work best when I control my eating habits and give my injections at the scheduled times (twice a day).

May 13, 2009 11:13 PM

Review by Crowbar1:

For Diabetes, Type 2: The drug is very effective. The only problems I have had are low blood sugar levels while working in hot environments. In Saudi in the spring and summer months I would constantly go low while working in the heat.

May 10, 2009 5:13 AM