Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Lantus

Learn more about Lantus.

Lantus review summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 116 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Lantus to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Review by tlash (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on Lantus for over 3 weeks and I feel I HAVE less control of my sugar levels. I take 22 units at bedtime, and it isnt lowering my levels like it should. Per doctor, I cannot take regular insulin with it as the Lantus is a 24 hr dose. So if my level spikes to sway 435, I can't take a shot of regular insulin to bring it down, I have to ride it out till bedtime when I can take another does of Lantus. I would rather take regular insulin every 6 hrs than do the Lantus, as It gives me more control of the dose I need for my sugar levels.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 10, 2015 9:26 AM

Review by epaul:

Oral meds did not bring down the A1c nor the fasting blood sugars which stayed in the 140s and kept climbing. . I have now been on Lantus for 6 months, titrated dose every Saturday increasing dose by 4 units per week until my fasting blood sugars are averaging 100, A1c is in normal rang now. Have not had any hypoglycemia bouts which happened with the oral meds. I give this insulin a two thumbs up.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 25, 2015 12:43 PM

Review by SnowsMom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lantus is my first treatment with insulin. I am presently at 22 units once a day and my numbers are much lower than before when just on metformin and glimepiride. I do not have to use glimeperide now. I do not have the terrible lows as before and my highs are a lot less. I feel better, in general but I have gained some weight.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 27, 2014 7:39 AM

Review by yieyie17 (taken for 10 years or more):

Excellent!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2014 7:52 PM

Review by SlotCasino:

Have been using Lantus for 3 weeks. Injecting 15-20 units per day and have not experienced a substantial reduction in glucose readings. Am upping dose to 24 units/day. Also have been taking 2.5g of Metformin with insulin shots. When my glucose goes above 300, I need to take 4mg of Glimepiride to knock it down.

March 12, 2013 2:08 PM

Review by Old timer (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have been on Lantus almost since came out, I use 50 units at bedtime and also I use Novolin 70/30 at 25 units at bedtime and 40 units in the morning.

May 14, 2012 2:56 PM

Review by fullofsugar:

My doctor prescribed lantus at an increase of two units every three days until my fasting sugars are at 120 or below. After two months my readings still range between 250 and 315. I started at 20 units and am now up to 50. It probably is lowering my blood sugar to some degree, but not significantly. I need something more effective. At this rate I'll be up to 80 units daily or more to reach my goal and will suffer side effects from such a high dose. I feel hungry all the time since using this and I've gained weight.

January 31, 2012 11:47 AM

Review by soxman:

Used to inject Novolin N twice a day (50 units mornings and at bedtime) and R throughout the day. Much harder to control blood glucose and it allowed me to cheat by eating that cake and increase amounts of injections. I use Lantus now once a day. So much easier. Still trying to adjust amounts (last night blood glucose was 43). Supplement with 5 units of NovoLog before each meal. Insulin spike lasts only one hour.

July 25, 2011 9:07 PM

Review by HARDWHITE:

Seems to work best when I control my eating habits and give my injections at the scheduled times (twice a day).

May 13, 2009 11:13 PM

Review by Crowbar1:

The drug is very effective. The only problems I have had are low blood sugar levels while working in hot environments. In Saudi in the spring and summer months I would constantly go low while working in the heat.

May 10, 2009 5:13 AM